Author Topic: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People  (Read 325268 times)

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
Re: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People
« Reply #1680 on: January 04, 2014, 06:21:07 PM »
On the motorway through Auckland there is a notorious low over-bridge.  From a  couple  of exits back there are large flashing signs in the appropriate lanes, which  tell you you, that you are over-height and take the next exit and follow the signs.  Still every so often a lorry will ignore the warnings and hit the over-bridge.  Worst case was a load of onions, that left everybody in tears.

Bwa ha ha!

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #1681 on: January 04, 2014, 07:14:44 PM »
Mel, lots of places still have the chain/sign warning system - they usually look very battered though!

I remember when I lived in Brisbane, a nearby suburb had a railway overpass with a height limit of 1.8m - for you non-metric folk, think around 6 feet.  We used to call it  Scary Bridge - as in dare you not to duck as we drive through, it's scary!

My current vehicle wouldn't make it under - it's just under 2.1m high.

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #1682 on: January 04, 2014, 08:12:21 PM »
slightly OT but slightly related to the trucks stuck under an overpass:

11foot8.com

I used to have to go under that bridge to go to work when I lived in Durham. One time on the way home, I got stuck in traffic behind a truck that got stuck.

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #1683 on: January 04, 2014, 08:18:57 PM »
If you wanted to take your 8 year old daughter to the movies, which movie out of these would you choose?

A) Saving Mr. Banks
B) The new Hobbit movie
C) The Secret Life of Walter Mitty
D) The Wolf of Wall Street

Got your answers? Okay. The correct answer was...D. Yes, a dad took his 8 year old daughter to see The Wolf of Wall Street, then came out 30 minutes later, very upset that it wasn't a family movie. Uh, sir, that movie is rated R, and is longer than the Hobbit movie. What on earth possessed you to think that it was at all appropriate??

To clarify: I do not have a problem with parents taking their kids to see more adult movies. However, I highly doubt any 8 year old girl would want to see a movie that has way more scrabbling than The Godfather movies, copious drug use, and is about a criminal who scammed a whole bunch of people out of their life savings.

When Howard Stern's movie, Private Parts, was in the theater DH and I went to see it. A few minutes before the lights went down a lady and 3 or 4 kids, aged probably 8ish to young teen, walked in and found seats near the front. DH and I exchanged looks. About 15 minutes in they got up and left. Someone yelled "What the hell did you think you were going to see, lady?"

Shea

« Reply #1684 on: January 04, 2014, 08:51:42 PM »
Yesterday was the first day the library was open after the holiday break, so I spent the morning catching up on student queries sent via our online reference system. One read "I found a book in the catalogue that is listed as "3-hour reserve loan". How long can I check it out for?"

::headdesk::

If a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, librarians are a global threat.

Betelnut

« Reply #1685 on: January 05, 2014, 02:22:20 PM »
If you wanted to take your 8 year old daughter to the movies, which movie out of these would you choose?

A) Saving Mr. Banks
B) The new Hobbit movie

Got your answers? Okay. The correct answer was...D. Yes, a dad took his 8 year old daughter to see The Wolf of Wall Street, then came out 30 minutes later, very upset that it wasn't a family movie. Uh, sir, that movie is rated R, and is longer than the Hobbit movie. What on earth possessed you to think that it was at all appropriate??

To clarify: I do not have a problem with parents taking their kids to see more adult movies. However, I highly doubt any 8 year old girl would want to see a movie that has way more scrabbling than The Godfather movies, copious drug use, and is about a criminal who scammed a whole bunch of people out of their life savings.

When Howard Stern's movie, Private Parts, was in the theater DH and I went to see it. A few minutes before the lights went down a lady and 3 or 4 kids, aged probably 8ish to young teen, walked in and found seats near the front. DH and I exchanged looks. About 15 minutes in they got up and left. Someone yelled "What the hell did you think you were going to see, lady?"

This reminds me of the time I went to see "The Producers" onstage.  At one point, the person next to me leaned over to her seatmate and said, "This is crude and nasty."

Duh.  It's Mel Brooks.  What did you expect?
Native Texan, Marylander currently

Snooks

« Reply #1686 on: January 05, 2014, 02:26:47 PM »

A) Saving Mr. Banks
B) The new Hobbit movie

This reminds me of the time I went to see "The Producers" onstage.  At one point, the person next to me leaned over to her seatmate and said, "This is crude and nasty."

Duh.  It's Mel Brooks.  What did you expect?

I was surprised that the two young boys in front of me at The Book of Mormon were still there at the end.

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #1687 on: January 05, 2014, 03:25:54 PM »
Yesterday was the first day the library was open after the holiday break, so I spent the morning catching up on student queries sent via our online reference system. One read "I found a book in the catalogue that is listed as "3-hour reserve loan". How long can I check it out for?"

There's a famous story from some Disney cast members. Someone was approached and asked "What time is the 3 o'clock parade?"
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Snooks

« Reply #1688 on: January 05, 2014, 03:27:01 PM »

Maybe they thought they could reserve it but had to pick it up within three hours of it becoming available.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1689 on: January 05, 2014, 03:30:14 PM »

Maybe they thought they could reserve it but had to pick it up within three hours of it becoming available.

I would wonder if they were asking about when it would get to that area.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1690 on: January 05, 2014, 04:04:13 PM »

Actually that's honestly how I would probably have interpreted it because I've never had a three hour restriction on how long I could keep a book (or other material) from any library.  It wouldn't occur to me to think "Oh, I can only use this for three hours and then I must hurry and return it."

Shea

« Reply #1691 on: January 05, 2014, 06:32:03 PM »

Actually that's honestly how I would probably have interpreted it because I've never had a three hour restriction on how long I could keep a book (or other material) from any library.  It wouldn't occur to me to think "Oh, I can only use this for three hours and then I must hurry and return it."

As far as I know it's not done at public libraries, but it's very common at university libraries. Textbooks being used for a course are put on a shortened reserve loan period so more students have access to the books (normal loan period is 6 weeks for undergrads, 4 months for grad students, and a year for faculty and staff, so you can understand why we shorten the loan period for high-demand books). It's a generally understood thing, at least at the university where I work.

If a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, librarians are a global threat.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #1692 on: January 05, 2014, 07:30:39 PM »
This is why if you're a student you need to go to the library induction so you learn this. I had to explain about closed reserve to new students constantly as they didn't get it until I pointed out that almost 200 people sharing about 20 books.

cabbageweevil

« Reply #1693 on: January 06, 2014, 05:08:29 AM »

Perhaps she was an innocent and unworldly soul, unfamiliar with certain commonly-used expressions; and had thought that the film was going to be a comic / patriotic romp for kids, with an army setting (language suitably cleaned up) -- "the son of Mrs. Parts, joins up" ??

Jocelyn

« Reply #1694 on: January 06, 2014, 09:22:54 AM »

Perhaps she was an innocent and unworldly soul, unfamiliar with certain commonly-used expressions; and had thought that the film was going to be a comic / patriotic romp for kids, with an army setting (language suitably cleaned up) -- "the son of Mrs. Parts, joins up" ??
I'm betting that the young teen had heard from older teens that this was a really funny and cool movie, and had convinced Mom to take them...without quite realizing how inappropriate it would be for younger siblings. Surely no one is stupid enough to ask their mother to take them to that movie, knowing how raunchy Howard Stern can be! ::)
But really, what was your first clue? That it was R rated? Under what circumstances can a person believe that an R rated movie would be OK for an 8 year old? Although the mother of my Little Sister once urged me to take her to the movies even though I thought there was nothing appropriate playing, saying that 'JFK' would be OK, since it was history. I don't remember JFK's assassination, but I've heard stories from slightly older kids about how traumatic it was for them to hear about; there was no way I was taking a 10 year old to the movie. She was old enough to be traumatized by it...and if she wasn't upset by it, I sure didn't want that information. It's entirely too easy to connect with the grief of the First Family in those images, and if you can't, then part of your moral compass is missing.