News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 12, 2017, 01:10:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People  (Read 1294431 times)

Editeer

Re: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People
« Reply #1710 on: January 10, 2014, 06:17:15 PM »
I've heard certain peppers referred to as being "as hot as rocket fuel" and wasabi being "as hot as lit (burning) rocket fuel" - so, yeah, it can be amazing how people who grow up in locations with milder spices react to the really hot ones for the first time.

I love wasabi, as well as European horseradish, but I can't eat hot peppers. For me, horseradish creates a giant ZING!--and then the pain fades quickly, leaving me eager for another delicious bite. Hot peppers have no flavor to me. They just make my mouth, tongue and throat burn, and keep burning for hours, so I can't enjoy any other part of the meal.

baglady

• A big lass and a bonny lass and she loves her beer
« Reply #1711 on: January 10, 2014, 06:17:41 PM »
Added to which, many parents do not have a problem with children hearing bad language. My parents only minded us repeating bad language, but hearing it was not a problem.

On the other hand, my mother wasn't bothered by violence, but one vulgar word was enough to completely ruin the movie in her eyes.

Was your mom Sheila Broflovski?

"Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty woids!"
My photography is on Redbubble! Come see: http://www.redbubble.com/people/baglady

kherbert05

• Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #1712 on: January 10, 2014, 08:39:34 PM »
Mom took a jar of jalapenos to PEI for her brothers. Her plane was delayed so by the time she got to Nanna's Nanna was asleep. Mom put the jalapenos in the frig, and went to bed. Nanna got up saw the jalapenos and thought they were some type of pickle. Mom had never heard Nanna cuss before.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy married to a Good Ethnic Boy!
« Reply #1713 on: January 10, 2014, 09:37:46 PM »
When my mum and stepfather visited me while I was studying in Japan, stepdad didn't have much experience with Japanese food, so mum and I carefully explained every item in his (elaborate, multi-tray, bento-style) meal. Including "that green blob is wasabi, it's VERY hot, the best way to deal with it is to mix a little into your soy sauce".

Five seconds later he picked up the whole blob and stuck it in his mouth. He believed us the next time we warned him about something!

Conversely, when the Good Ethnic Boy (then my boyfriend) visited, a couple of my Japanese friends took us out to a sashimi place. The GEB LOVES wasabi, and tasted a bit, smiled, and started spreading it on his sashimi. One of my friends thought "wait, is the wasabi really mild? It can't be good wasabi if a European can eat it like that!", tasted a bit herself, and had to spend five minutes communing with her bottle of drink. ;D
"Set aphasia to stun!"

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #1714 on: January 11, 2014, 12:46:28 AM »
a jokey warning ('So hot it burns twice!')

Yeah, not a joke at all!   ;D

I remember some years back I was out with a group at a Hooters restaurant.  The guys, doing a bit of chest-beating, were debating whether or not to get a platter of hot wings, then decided against it.  A table nearby, though, did order it, and the 3 men eating managed only a couple of wings each before they decided enough was enough.  They then offered the remains of the platter to our guys, who scarfed the lot (amidst lots of eye-rolling, water-drinking, etc)  The wings were hot indeed - the chili smell was impressive even at a distance.

Those of us too cowardly (or sensible) to try them made all the standard jokes about the second burn the following morning, to much laughter.

Cue the following morning, when we all had to be at a racetrack nice and early...  lots of red, sweating faces, some uncomfortable groans and a few 'never agains'.  The highlight, though, was finding a tube of local anaesthetic jelly that had fallen out of somebody's pocket - presumably used to lessen the second burn...

Out on the patio we'd sit,
And the humidity we'd breathe,
We'd watch the lightning crack over canefields
Laugh and think, this is Australia.

Ganggajang - Sounds Of Then (This Is Australia)

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #1715 on: January 11, 2014, 07:03:08 AM »
I remember my first time going to a Thai restaurant when I started at a new job.  I was the only female (computer science job), and the guys all liked hot stuff.  The menu made me laugh, how it had rated stuff like mild, somewhat hot, hot, very hot, REALLY REALLY hot, insanely hot, and native Thai.  :)  With native Thai being, of course, the hottest of them all.  (I got mild stuff, as I don't like heat, but a bunch of the guys got native Thai and I didn't notice any of them even seeming to notice the heat--but then, they ate there regularly.)
Emily is 10 years old!  1/07
Jenny is 8 years old!  10/08
Charlotte is 7 years old!  8/10
Megan is 4 years old!  10/12
Lydia is 2 years old!  12/14
Baby Charlie expected 9/17

Jocelyn

« Reply #1716 on: January 11, 2014, 08:32:42 AM »
I had a student come into class carrying a box of hot wings from a local restaurant. He said he'd told them to give him the hottest wings they had. After a few minutes I was forced to stop class and ask him if he needed to leave, because his face was turning such interesting colors. To the great merriment of the rest of the students.  >:D

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
« Reply #1717 on: January 11, 2014, 10:40:28 AM »
VorGuy, earlier in our marriage (college years) was complaining that I didn't get enough heat into the chili (I may be a native Texan - but I don't eat much past the one alarm level of heat - chili can be rated from "no alarm" to "four alarm").

I made him some HOT chili for lunch & took it to where he was working as a intern at a government office.  He declared it perfect.

Five hours later when he got home, he declared that I should never, ever make it that hot again - I guess it "burned twice".

He LIKES Thai hot - but he spent some time over there in the 1970s, in uniform.  So he "grew up" eating Thai food, as it were!  He was born in Arizona and spent his formative years there, Singapore, Hawaii, and Texas, his dad was military before he joined the military himself after high school.  So he was familiar with "heat" in a variety of levels and different foods.  Just not what his mother cooked - there were hot sauces on the table for "adjusting" the seasoning....
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 10:44:20 AM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

jaxsue

« Reply #1718 on: January 11, 2014, 10:45:32 AM »
I had a student come into class carrying a box of hot wings from a local restaurant. He said he'd told them to give him the hottest wings they had. After a few minutes I was forced to stop class and ask him if he needed to leave, because his face was turning such interesting colors. To the great merriment of the rest of the students.  >:D

Your post reminds me of my X, and how much he loved hot wings. I tried to make them to his liking, but he complained they were still too mild. So I let them soak a lot longer. I wasn't trying to overdo it, I was just trying to make him happy! He could barely eat them, and I never knew a human could turn so many shades of red!  :)

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #1719 on: January 11, 2014, 11:11:57 AM »
A favorite story from my 6-month business sojourn to Maryland. There was a woman at the lab who was originally from somewhere not on a coast who had never eaten oysters before. She went out to lunch with colleagues and someone ordered raw oysters and offered her one to try. Just as she began chewing, he casually (and deliberately) remarked "They're alive, you know." She didn't know.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

jpcher

« Reply #1720 on: January 11, 2014, 02:38:58 PM »
I love wasabi, as well as European horseradish, but I can't eat hot peppers. For me, horseradish creates a giant ZING!--and then the pain fades quickly, leaving me eager for another delicious bite. Hot peppers have no flavor to me. They just make my mouth, tongue and throat burn, and keep burning for hours, so I can't enjoy any other part of the meal.

Curious -- what is European horseradish? Is it a different way that the horseradish is prepared? Or is European horseradish a different plant like wasabi is different from the American horseradish plant?

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #1721 on: January 11, 2014, 03:04:49 PM »
My mother was Finnish and when she emigrated here and discovered spicy food she loved it. She had a high tolerance and always got hot sauce on Mexican food.

We were in some rinky-dink diner in New Mexico once and she ordered hot sauce with her food. They gave her mild. She went up to the window and asked for the hot sauce. They gave it very very reluctantly to the white lady with the funny accent. Then they all watched in astonishment as she happy downed her hot sauce laden food.
Nothing to see here.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #1722 on: January 11, 2014, 04:02:16 PM »
Interesting fact: most wasabi you can find isn't from the wasabi plant, but is a mixture of horseradish, mustard and food colouring.

http://cen.acs.org/articles/88/i12/Wasabi.html

magicdomino

« Reply #1723 on: January 11, 2014, 06:25:39 PM »

Curious -- what is European horseradish? Is it a different way that the horseradish is prepared? Or is European horseradish a different plant like wasabi is different from the American horseradish plant?

"American" horseradish is the same plant.  Like apples and dandelions, it originated in Europe, and was brought here by colonists.

Jocelyn

« Reply #1724 on: January 12, 2014, 11:18:04 AM »
I love Mongolian barbeque. In the past two months, I've had to explain it to several people. The funny thing is, every time, someone is seriously considering putting raw pork and chicken on their plate. Yes, when faced with a pan of raw chicken, they are concluding they'll serve themselves some, rather than 'Perhaps I should ask a waiter what's going on here.'  The bar of raw foods is right next to the grill, and at least once, the cook was grilling my food, so you think someone might think about the possibility that that's why the raw food is there...but no, they're planning on putting raw chicken on the same plate with their pre-cooked foods.