Author Topic: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People  (Read 308431 times)

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
Re: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People
« Reply #1710 on: January 10, 2014, 05:09:56 PM »
This was off a "I hate my mother-in-law" site.  The poster said that she went out for lunch at a food court with her MIL (even though they didn't get along), and the poster ordered sushi.  When her food arrived, MIL spotted the wasabi and said "Ooh, I like that stuff.  Can I have some?"  The poster, thinking it was unlikely that her MIL had had wasabi before, said "Are you sure?  That's wasabi - it's like horseradish.  It's really spicy."  MIL scoffed "Of course I'm sure!  I know what wasabi is, thank you.  I eat it all the time!"  She proceeded to scoop up the entire spoonful and ate the whole thing.  Cue red face, choking, and eyes pouring with tears.

I knew someone who did that with horseradish sauce once.  We did warn her.

Similarly, someone I knew tried to prevent some American tourists from using English mustard as they would American mustard, liberally applied as a condiment on a burger.  They wouldn't listen, and got quite a shock.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 05:20:07 PM by RingTailedLemur »

Jocelyn

« Reply #1711 on: January 10, 2014, 05:12:26 PM »
I've heard certain peppers referred to as being "as hot as rocket fuel" and wasabi being "as hot as lit (burning) rocket fuel" - so, yeah, it can be amazing how people who grow up in locations with milder spices react to the really hot ones for the first time.

My mother tells the tale of these little red peppers that looked like grape sized tomatoes that a friend had in a bowl on the kitchen counter.  My brother was a toddler who could just barely reach that bowl and they saw his hand reach up and get one pepper.

Mom wanted to stop him, the hostess told her that he'd bite into it and start leaving the peppers alone.

They heard a funny squeak...but two minutes later his hand reached up and sneaked another pepper out of the bowl.  They moved the bowl.

He likes hot food to this day (and he's over 50 now).
Let us hope someone had him wash his hands soon after.
I have a friend whose husband was proud of the hot peppers he grew in their garden. He demonstrated for friends that the heat was in the crease of the pepper, showing them how they could stroke the pepper with a fingertip safely, but their hands would burn if they stroked the crease. Soon after, he went to the bathroom   and made the tactical error of deciding to take care of another task rather than washing up before AND after. Cue dramatic screams. Apparently one's fingertips go numb to the burn, so that you might believe the hot oil is all wiped off...

Jocelyn

« Reply #1712 on: January 10, 2014, 05:18:36 PM »
On the other hand, I went back to the Mongolian grill at my favorite restaurant, and the grill man tried to give me the wrong plate, in the mistaken belief that 'lady no want hot oil'. I would have told him that it was an interesting assumption, but I was pretty sure his English wasn't up to the task. (For those not familiar with Mongolian grills, you select the ingredients for your stir-fry from a buffet of raw foods and condiments, and the grill man stir-fries it for you. And yes, hot pepper oil is one of the options.)

Hillia

« Reply #1713 on: January 10, 2014, 05:19:16 PM »
My old boss told us a story about her honeymoon in Hawaii.  She and her husband had gone for dinner to a very nice Asian restaurant.  He was mildly congested (allergies, not ill) and when he spotted the wasabi on the table, he said, 'Oh good!  This will clear me right up!' and ate a whole large spoonful before she could stop him.  She said the results were instantaneous, impressive, and pretty gross.  He started sneezing and coughing, and it a few minutes before he could stand up and run to the men's room.

DH has a cousin who is so insecure that he absolutely, positively, cannot admit that he doesn't know something or hasn't done it, and hasn't done it bigger/faster/more than anyone else.  This despite the fact that he has lived his whole life in very small towns and has had pretty limited experience with a lot of things.  I took him to lunch at an Asian restaurant that featured noodle and rice bowls with varying levels of spice indicated on the menu.  One dish had 10 flames (the others were 1-5 flames), a jokey warning ('So hot it burns twice!') and a serious warning about the levels of heat and the kinds of peppers used.  When the waitress took our order, she tried to discourage him, repeating the warnings about the heat and telling us that when the chef was making a batch of this sauce, he had to wear goggles and gloves and no one else was allowed in the kitchen.  Cousin insisted that he ate hotter food than that every day for lunch, so she brought it out.  Yeah.  He managed to choke down one or two bites before telling me he was too full.  I offered to order him a replacement meal because I did feel sorry for him, but he swore that it was delicious and he just wasn't hungry.  He took it home 'for lunch the next day'; it sat in the fridge for a day or two before I finally pitched it.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #1714 on: January 10, 2014, 06:58:22 PM »
Woman: Rolls! Buns! Pastries! Don't you sell bread here?
Hostess: Ohhh! ...um, no. This is a sushi restaurant...

I was having lunch by myself at the Hog Island Oyster Company in San Francisco. I was sitting outside. To get to the outside area, you had to enter the restaurant under a huge sign that said "Hog Island Oyster Co." and walk past the oyster bar, piled high with oysters & staffed by a guy shucking oysters and serving them to customers seated at the bar.  While I was eating, a waiter seated a couple at the table next to me and handed them menus. They were speaking German, which I knew well enough to understand them, and I assumed they were tourists.

They took one look at the mens, stood up & rapidly walked out. They had suddenly discovered that the Hog Island Oyster Company specializes in--guess what?

Specializes in, or serves nothing else? If I walked in to a restaurant called "Oyster Company," I would expect almost everything on the menu to include seafood, but not necessarily for everything to include oysters specifically. For instance, I've eaten at Red Lobster (walking past the "Red Lobster" sign and past the tank of live lobsters), but I don't think I've ever eaten lobster there (not even a dish just containing lobster). I ate other seafood. If that's what they were expecting, I don't think it's particularly silly.

This is not a chain. The company is a major producer of farmed oysters, and any guidebook or restaurant directory would have mentioned that. The menu has very few things that aren't oysters-- salads & a couple of clam or crab dishes. From the conversation I overheard, it simply had not occurred to the couple to look at the posted menu or the surroundings. They just liked the idea of dining outside on a nice day.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

Editeer

« Reply #1715 on: January 10, 2014, 07:17:15 PM »
I've heard certain peppers referred to as being "as hot as rocket fuel" and wasabi being "as hot as lit (burning) rocket fuel" - so, yeah, it can be amazing how people who grow up in locations with milder spices react to the really hot ones for the first time.

I love wasabi, as well as European horseradish, but I can't eat hot peppers. For me, horseradish creates a giant ZING!--and then the pain fades quickly, leaving me eager for another delicious bite. Hot peppers have no flavor to me. They just make my mouth, tongue and throat burn, and keep burning for hours, so I can't enjoy any other part of the meal.

baglady

• A big lass and a bonny lass and she loves her beer
« Reply #1716 on: January 10, 2014, 07:17:41 PM »
Added to which, many parents do not have a problem with children hearing bad language. My parents only minded us repeating bad language, but hearing it was not a problem.

On the other hand, my mother wasn't bothered by violence, but one vulgar word was enough to completely ruin the movie in her eyes.

Was your mom Sheila Broflovski?

"Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty woids!"
My photography is on Redbubble! Come see: http://www.redbubble.com/people/baglady

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #1717 on: January 10, 2014, 09:39:34 PM »
Mom took a jar of jalapenos to PEI for her brothers. Her plane was delayed so by the time she got to Nanna's Nanna was asleep. Mom put the jalapenos in the frig, and went to bed. Nanna got up saw the jalapenos and thought they were some type of pickle. Mom had never heard Nanna cuss before.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #1718 on: January 10, 2014, 10:37:46 PM »
When my mum and stepfather visited me while I was studying in Japan, stepdad didn't have much experience with Japanese food, so mum and I carefully explained every item in his (elaborate, multi-tray, bento-style) meal. Including "that green blob is wasabi, it's VERY hot, the best way to deal with it is to mix a little into your soy sauce".

Five seconds later he picked up the whole blob and stuck it in his mouth. He believed us the next time we warned him about something!

Conversely, when the Good Ethnic Boy (then my boyfriend) visited, a couple of my Japanese friends took us out to a sashimi place. The GEB LOVES wasabi, and tasted a bit, smiled, and started spreading it on his sashimi. One of my friends thought "wait, is the wasabi really mild? It can't be good wasabi if a European can eat it like that!", tasted a bit herself, and had to spend five minutes communing with her bottle of drink. ;D
"Set aphasia to stun!"

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #1719 on: January 11, 2014, 01:46:28 AM »
a jokey warning ('So hot it burns twice!')

Yeah, not a joke at all!   ;D

I remember some years back I was out with a group at a Hooters restaurant.  The guys, doing a bit of chest-beating, were debating whether or not to get a platter of hot wings, then decided against it.  A table nearby, though, did order it, and the 3 men eating managed only a couple of wings each before they decided enough was enough.  They then offered the remains of the platter to our guys, who scarfed the lot (amidst lots of eye-rolling, water-drinking, etc)  The wings were hot indeed - the chili smell was impressive even at a distance.

Those of us too cowardly (or sensible) to try them made all the standard jokes about the second burn the following morning, to much laughter.

Cue the following morning, when we all had to be at a racetrack nice and early...  lots of red, sweating faces, some uncomfortable groans and a few 'never agains'.  The highlight, though, was finding a tube of local anaesthetic jelly that had fallen out of somebody's pocket - presumably used to lessen the second burn...

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #1720 on: January 11, 2014, 08:03:08 AM »
I remember my first time going to a Thai restaurant when I started at a new job.  I was the only female (computer science job), and the guys all liked hot stuff.  The menu made me laugh, how it had rated stuff like mild, somewhat hot, hot, very hot, REALLY REALLY hot, insanely hot, and native Thai.  :)  With native Thai being, of course, the hottest of them all.  (I got mild stuff, as I don't like heat, but a bunch of the guys got native Thai and I didn't notice any of them even seeming to notice the heat--but then, they ate there regularly.)

Jocelyn

« Reply #1721 on: January 11, 2014, 09:32:42 AM »
I had a student come into class carrying a box of hot wings from a local restaurant. He said he'd told them to give him the hottest wings they had. After a few minutes I was forced to stop class and ask him if he needed to leave, because his face was turning such interesting colors. To the great merriment of the rest of the students.  >:D

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #1722 on: January 11, 2014, 11:40:28 AM »
VorGuy, earlier in our marriage (college years) was complaining that I didn't get enough heat into the chili (I may be a native Texan - but I don't eat much past the one alarm level of heat - chili can be rated from "no alarm" to "four alarm").

I made him some HOT chili for lunch & took it to where he was working as a intern at a government office.  He declared it perfect.

Five hours later when he got home, he declared that I should never, ever make it that hot again - I guess it "burned twice".

He LIKES Thai hot - but he spent some time over there in the 1970s, in uniform.  So he "grew up" eating Thai food, as it were!  He was born in Arizona and spent his formative years there, Singapore, Hawaii, and Texas, his dad was military before he joined the military himself after high school.  So he was familiar with "heat" in a variety of levels and different foods.  Just not what his mother cooked - there were hot sauces on the table for "adjusting" the seasoning....
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 11:44:20 AM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1723 on: January 11, 2014, 11:45:32 AM »
I had a student come into class carrying a box of hot wings from a local restaurant. He said he'd told them to give him the hottest wings they had. After a few minutes I was forced to stop class and ask him if he needed to leave, because his face was turning such interesting colors. To the great merriment of the rest of the students.  >:D

Your post reminds me of my X, and how much he loved hot wings. I tried to make them to his liking, but he complained they were still too mild. So I let them soak a lot longer. I wasn't trying to overdo it, I was just trying to make him happy! He could barely eat them, and I never knew a human could turn so many shades of red!  :)

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #1724 on: January 11, 2014, 12:11:57 PM »
A favorite story from my 6-month business sojourn to Maryland. There was a woman at the lab who was originally from somewhere not on a coast who had never eaten oysters before. She went out to lunch with colleagues and someone ordered raw oysters and offered her one to try. Just as she began chewing, he casually (and deliberately) remarked "They're alive, you know." She didn't know.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data