Author Topic: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People  (Read 331549 times)

jpcher

• Super Hero!
Re: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People
« Reply #1725 on: January 11, 2014, 03:38:58 PM »
I love wasabi, as well as European horseradish, but I can't eat hot peppers. For me, horseradish creates a giant ZING!--and then the pain fades quickly, leaving me eager for another delicious bite. Hot peppers have no flavor to me. They just make my mouth, tongue and throat burn, and keep burning for hours, so I can't enjoy any other part of the meal.

Curious -- what is European horseradish? Is it a different way that the horseradish is prepared? Or is European horseradish a different plant like wasabi is different from the American horseradish plant?

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #1726 on: January 11, 2014, 04:04:49 PM »
My mother was Finnish and when she emigrated here and discovered spicy food she loved it. She had a high tolerance and always got hot sauce on Mexican food.

We were in some rinky-dink diner in New Mexico once and she ordered hot sauce with her food. They gave her mild. She went up to the window and asked for the hot sauce. They gave it very very reluctantly to the white lady with the funny accent. Then they all watched in astonishment as she happy downed her hot sauce laden food.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #1727 on: January 11, 2014, 05:02:16 PM »
Interesting fact: most wasabi you can find isn't from the wasabi plant, but is a mixture of horseradish, mustard and food colouring.

http://cen.acs.org/articles/88/i12/Wasabi.html

magicdomino

« Reply #1728 on: January 11, 2014, 07:25:39 PM »
I love wasabi, as well as European horseradish, but I can't eat hot peppers. For me, horseradish creates a giant ZING!--and then the pain fades quickly, leaving me eager for another delicious bite. Hot peppers have no flavor to me. They just make my mouth, tongue and throat burn, and keep burning for hours, so I can't enjoy any other part of the meal.

Curious -- what is European horseradish? Is it a different way that the horseradish is prepared? Or is European horseradish a different plant like wasabi is different from the American horseradish plant?

"American" horseradish is the same plant.  Like apples and dandelions, it originated in Europe, and was brought here by colonists.

Jocelyn

« Reply #1729 on: January 12, 2014, 12:18:04 PM »
I love Mongolian barbeque. In the past two months, I've had to explain it to several people. The funny thing is, every time, someone is seriously considering putting raw pork and chicken on their plate. Yes, when faced with a pan of raw chicken, they are concluding they'll serve themselves some, rather than 'Perhaps I should ask a waiter what's going on here.'  The bar of raw foods is right next to the grill, and at least once, the cook was grilling my food, so you think someone might think about the possibility that that's why the raw food is there...but no, they're planning on putting raw chicken on the same plate with their pre-cooked foods.

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1730 on: January 12, 2014, 12:50:12 PM »

I love Mongolian barbeque. In the past two months, I've had to explain it to several people. The funny thing is, every time, someone is seriously considering putting raw pork and chicken on their plate. Yes, when faced with a pan of raw chicken, they are concluding they'll serve themselves some, rather than 'Perhaps I should ask a waiter what's going on here.'  The bar of raw foods is right next to the grill, and at least once, the cook was grilling my food, so you think someone might think about the possibility that that's why the raw food is there...but no, they're planning on putting raw chicken on the same plate with their pre-cooked foods.

:-[ That was me on my first visit to Genghis Grill.  I was *pretty* sure you weren't meant to eat raw meat, but not 100% sure of what was going on. 

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #1731 on: January 12, 2014, 12:59:54 PM »

I think it depends on the setup.  I've been to Mongolian places where you dump everything in a big bowl (including the raw meat), then they separate it out on the grill to cook and give you your food on a new, clean plate.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1732 on: January 12, 2014, 01:19:13 PM »
Interesting fact: most wasabi you can find isn't from the wasabi plant, but is a mixture of horseradish, mustard and food colouring.

http://cen.acs.org/articles/88/i12/Wasabi.html
Good thing I've never tried it, then.  Mustard sensitivity/allergy.*  ::)  It's NOT a good thing when you think you're eating non-allergen Y when you're really eating allergen X.

*Not sure at what point 'sensitivity' tips over into 'allergy'; it doesn't cause typical food-allergen reactions like hives or tingling mouth; it causes projectile vomiting.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1733 on: January 12, 2014, 01:23:38 PM »
*Not sure at what point 'sensitivity' tips over into 'allergy'; it doesn't cause typical food-allergen reactions like hives or tingling mouth; it causes projectile vomiting.

Sometimes it doesn't matter! The word 'allergy' gets the point across, and if it is that violent, I'm pretty sure it is. Am I am  stickler on that sort of thing, usually.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #1734 on: January 12, 2014, 02:12:28 PM »

Sometimes it doesn't matter! The word 'allergy' gets the point across, and if it is that violent, I'm pretty sure it is. Am I am  stickler on that sort of thing, usually.
Agreed - if food causes a physical illness, allergy is a catch all term for lay people that means this person can NOT eat this food. The only time you really need to qualify it is when talking to medical personel.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #1735 on: January 12, 2014, 02:18:33 PM »
At the company Christmas dinner, we were seated with a co-worker and his guest - Kelly.
She was a very nice lady and at some point, conversation turned to Mr. Dragon's and my recent trip to Scotland.

Of course, the question came up of "Did you try haggis?" (Yes we did, in several formats).

Haggis is a kind of rare dish, so we weren't surprised at having to explain it to Kelly. (Oats, ground meats, seasonings stuffed in a casing of sheep stomach. Kind of like a meatloaf sausage.)

Like many people, Kelly found the notion off-putting.
What surprised me was when we pointed out that really, it's not that unlike a sausage in concept.

She didn't know that sausage casings are traditionally cased in intestine.
I thought this was a generally known thing and I'm afraid that finding out may have turned her off of sausage for the next bit... :P

Jones

« Reply #1736 on: January 12, 2014, 02:28:42 PM »
At the company Christmas dinner, we were seated with a co-worker and his guest - Kelly.
She was a very nice lady and at some point, conversation turned to Mr. Dragon's and my recent trip to Scotland.

Of course, the question came up of "Did you try haggis?" (Yes we did, in several formats).

Haggis is a kind of rare dish, so we weren't surprised at having to explain it to Kelly. (Oats, ground meats, seasonings stuffed in a casing of sheep stomach. Kind of like a meatloaf sausage.)

What surprised me was when we pointed out that really, it's not that unlike a sausage in concept.

I thought this was a generally known thing and I'm afraid that finding out may have turned her off of sausage for the next bit... :P
Real Haggis sounds better to me than what I thought it was, until a couple years ago...

I had my husband explain to me what it really was after I made a passing comment about boiling a sheep's belly with the original, half-digested contents that the sheep had eaten. Apparently one of my cousins told me that's what it was when I was a kid, and I never cared to look into the situation.

Talk about "things an adult should really know..."

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #1737 on: January 12, 2014, 02:36:20 PM »

Real Haggis sounds better to me than what I thought it was, until a couple years ago...

I had my husband explain to me what it really was after I made a passing comment about boiling a sheep's belly with the original, half-digested contents that the sheep had eaten. Apparently one of my cousins told me that's what it was when I was a kid, and I never cared to look into the situation.

Don't feel bad. For many years that was my understanding of haggis too.
I think it came from people explaining that the stomach is emptied, cleaned and then stuffed again.
It's sort of logical to assume that it's being stuffed with the same contents - although it did make me wonder how hungry people must have been to think up such a dish!

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1738 on: January 12, 2014, 03:00:31 PM »

"American" horseradish is the same plant.  Like apples and dandelions, it originated in Europe, and was brought here by colonists.

Thanks! ;D

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #1739 on: January 12, 2014, 03:50:20 PM »

Don't feel bad. For many years that was my understanding of haggis too.
I think it came from people explaining that the stomach is emptied, cleaned and then stuffed again.
It's sort of logical to assume that it's being stuffed with the same contents - although it did make me wonder how hungry people must have been to think up such a dish!
It's actually illegal to import haggis into the US as the contains sheep lung. Kinder surprises are also illegal.