Author Topic: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People  (Read 308022 times)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
Re: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People
« Reply #1740 on: January 12, 2014, 03:51:24 PM »
Kinder surprises are also illegal.

Really?  How come?  We have them north of the border.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #1741 on: January 12, 2014, 03:53:36 PM »
They're afraid children will choke on the toy, which is silly as it's inside the plastic shell. It's a $2500 fine per egg if you bring one into the country.

It's a shame, as the plastic case can be used to make bombs with bicarbonate of soda and vinegar.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 03:55:50 PM by Katana_Geldar »

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #1742 on: January 12, 2014, 04:31:12 PM »
Interesting fact: most wasabi you can find isn't from the wasabi plant, but is a mixture of horseradish, mustard and food colouring.

http://cen.acs.org/articles/88/i12/Wasabi.html
Good thing I've never tried it, then.  Mustard sensitivity/allergy.*  ::)  It's NOT a good thing when you think you're eating non-allergen Y when you're really eating allergen X.

*Not sure at what point 'sensitivity' tips over into 'allergy'; it doesn't cause typical food-allergen reactions like hives or tingling mouth; it causes projectile vomiting.

Yeah that's definitely an allergy.  Not all allergic symptoms are the same.  My definition is "If my body rejects X in any way, multiple times, it's an allergy of some kind" 

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1743 on: January 12, 2014, 04:41:58 PM »
They're afraid children will choke on the toy, which is silly as it's inside the plastic shell. It's a $2500 fine per egg if you bring one into the country.

It's a shame, as the plastic case can be used to make bombs with bicarbonate of soda and vinegar.

Are you in the US?  Not that I buy Kinder eggs very often but I'll be sure not to bring any across the boarder with me!
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Katana_Geldar

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1745 on: January 12, 2014, 05:02:22 PM »
At the company Christmas dinner, we were seated with a co-worker and his guest - Kelly.
She was a very nice lady and at some point, conversation turned to Mr. Dragon's and my recent trip to Scotland.

Of course, the question came up of "Did you try haggis?" (Yes we did, in several formats).

Haggis is a kind of rare dish, so we weren't surprised at having to explain it to Kelly. (Oats, ground meats, seasonings stuffed in a casing of sheep stomach. Kind of like a meatloaf sausage.)

Like many people, Kelly found the notion off-putting.
What surprised me was when we pointed out that really, it's not that unlike a sausage in concept.

She didn't know that sausage casings are traditionally cased in intestine.
I thought this was a generally known thing and I'm afraid that finding out may have turned her off of sausage for the next bit... :P

The farther people are from their source of food, the less they are often aware of things like this. I've had haggis several times, but instead of a sheep's stomach they boiled it in special bags made for it. Not much more appetizing, but a bit.  :)

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #1746 on: January 12, 2014, 05:10:41 PM »

Are you in the US?  Not that I buy Kinder eggs very often but I'll be sure not to bring any across the boarder with me!

There's a company (I can't remember the name) which makes a Kinder-egg-like product, here in the US, but it's a very small regional business and they're having lots of legal troubles with it.  I think they get around the FDA restrictions by having the chocolate be around a solid plastic shell which is wrapped, then a wrapped toy inside that, so the toy and the chocolate constitute two separate parts, but I've never actually had one so I could be wrong on that.  Anyway, the criticism I heard is their toys are rubbish when compared to the real Kinder eggs, so maybe it's not really a substitute after all  :P

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #1747 on: January 12, 2014, 05:50:57 PM »
Kinder surprises are also illegal.

Really?  How come?  We have them north of the border.

There was an article last year about a mom from Canada on a day trip to the US who bought some for her kids during the drive.
They were confiscated at the border and she was fined.
It was a bit of a to do!

katycoo

« Reply #1748 on: January 12, 2014, 06:07:43 PM »
I've heard certain peppers referred to as being "as hot as rocket fuel" and wasabi being "as hot as lit (burning) rocket fuel" - so, yeah, it can be amazing how people who grow up in locations with milder spices react to the really hot ones for the first time.

I love wasabi, as well as European horseradish, but I can't eat hot peppers. For me, horseradish creates a giant ZING!--and then the pain fades quickly, leaving me eager for another delicious bite. Hot peppers have no flavor to me. They just make my mouth, tongue and throat burn, and keep burning for hours, so I can't enjoy any other part of the meal.

This for me too.

katycoo

« Reply #1749 on: January 12, 2014, 06:12:58 PM »
A favorite story from my 6-month business sojourn to Maryland. There was a woman at the lab who was originally from somewhere not on a coast who had never eaten oysters before. She went out to lunch with colleagues and someone ordered raw oysters and offered her one to try. Just as she began chewing, he casually (and deliberately) remarked "They're alive, you know." She didn't know.

WAS alive, you mean ;)

wheeitsme

« Reply #1750 on: January 12, 2014, 07:04:02 PM »
A favorite story from my 6-month business sojourn to Maryland. There was a woman at the lab who was originally from somewhere not on a coast who had never eaten oysters before. She went out to lunch with colleagues and someone ordered raw oysters and offered her one to try. Just as she began chewing, he casually (and deliberately) remarked "They're alive, you know." She didn't know.

WAS alive, you mean ;)
Well, the one in her mouth was.  The other ones on the plate? Very probably still alive.

Editeer

« Reply #1751 on: January 12, 2014, 07:04:22 PM »
I love wasabi, as well as European horseradish, but I can't eat hot peppers. For me, horseradish creates a giant ZING!--and then the pain fades quickly, leaving me eager for another delicious bite. Hot peppers have no flavor to me. They just make my mouth, tongue and throat burn, and keep burning for hours, so I can't enjoy any other part of the meal.

Curious -- what is European horseradish? Is it a different way that the horseradish is prepared? Or is European horseradish a different plant like wasabi is different from the American horseradish plant?

I just used the term "European" to distinguish it from the Japanese stuff. There isn't any difference between European and American, as far as I know. Now you've sent me to Wikipedia . . .

aha:
Because the burning sensations of wasabi are not oil-based, they are short-lived compared to the effects of chili peppers, and are washed away with more food or liquid.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #1752 on: January 12, 2014, 07:25:14 PM »

Actually, I think the plastic shell is a worse choking hazard! It's round and smooth, and I've seen people try to pop it open with their mouth (by pressing with their teeth--it's hard to open otherwise).

I miss Kinder eggs!

Jocelyn

« Reply #1753 on: January 12, 2014, 08:37:31 PM »
I love Mongolian barbeque. In the past two months, I've had to explain it to several people. The funny thing is, every time, someone is seriously considering putting raw pork and chicken on their plate. Yes, when faced with a pan of raw chicken, they are concluding they'll serve themselves some, rather than 'Perhaps I should ask a waiter what's going on here.'  The bar of raw foods is right next to the grill, and at least once, the cook was grilling my food, so you think someone might think about the possibility that that's why the raw food is there...but no, they're planning on putting raw chicken on the same plate with their pre-cooked foods.

:-[ That was me on my first visit to Genghis Grill.  I was *pretty* sure you weren't meant to eat raw meat, but not 100% sure of what was going on.
Oh, I can well understand someone not knowing what to do...but what boggles my mind is people putting raw chicken on their plate along with their fried rice, and moo goo gai pan, and other cooked-food choices.

Jocelyn

« Reply #1754 on: January 12, 2014, 08:40:03 PM »
I love Mongolian barbeque. In the past two months, I've had to explain it to several people. The funny thing is, every time, someone is seriously considering putting raw pork and chicken on their plate. Yes, when faced with a pan of raw chicken, they are concluding they'll serve themselves some, rather than 'Perhaps I should ask a waiter what's going on here.'  The bar of raw foods is right next to the grill, and at least once, the cook was grilling my food, so you think someone might think about the possibility that that's why the raw food is there...but no, they're planning on putting raw chicken on the same plate with their pre-cooked foods.

I think it depends on the setup.  I've been to Mongolian places where you dump everything in a big bowl (including the raw meat), then they separate it out on the grill to cook and give you your food on a new, clean plate.
I guess I was unclear- these people had gone through the hot food buffet, and put already-cooked entrees and fried rice on the plate. I would have thought an adult would know that piling raw chicken atop cooked food would be an unfortunate idea. (and yes, at this place, you put all the raw food together on a plate, give it to the cook, and he cooks ALL of it, but if you want anything off the hot food buffet, you use another plate for it.)