Author Topic: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People  (Read 304863 times)

LadyJaneinMD

Re: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People
« Reply #1755 on: January 13, 2014, 11:43:19 AM »
I've heard certain peppers referred to as being "as hot as rocket fuel" and wasabi being "as hot as lit (burning) rocket fuel" - so, yeah, it can be amazing how people who grow up in locations with milder spices react to the really hot ones for the first time.

I love wasabi, as well as European horseradish, but I can't eat hot peppers. For me, horseradish creates a giant ZING!--and then the pain fades quickly, leaving me eager for another delicious bite. Hot peppers have no flavor to me. They just make my mouth, tongue and throat burn, and keep burning for hours, so I can't enjoy any other part of the meal.

Wasabi gives me a head rush, I called it a high.  My face gets red, I hyperventilate, and my friends laugh, but boy does it feel GOOD in my head.   Quite the rush.  I love it.
In moderation, of course.

lorelai

« Reply #1756 on: January 13, 2014, 01:25:13 PM »
At a store the other day

me: Do you have a maternity section?
salesperson: Yes I think so. Women's right?
me: ... Yes that's right.

alkira6

« Reply #1757 on: January 13, 2014, 01:56:21 PM »
I knew someone who did that with horseradish sauce once.  We did warn her.

Similarly, someone I knew tried to prevent some American tourists from using English mustard as they would American mustard, liberally applied as a condiment on a burger.  They wouldn't listen, and got quite a shock.

I actually had a barman smirk at me when I asked for mustard and start laughing when I liberally smeared my burger with it.  He stopped laughing when I ate it without a wince and put a dollop on my plate to dip my fries it.  Definitely spicy, but not the hottest thing I've had. 

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #1758 on: January 13, 2014, 02:57:21 PM »
At a store the other day

Maybe they do have a man's maternity section. I'd be tempted to ask, just ya know, see whats there.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1759 on: January 13, 2014, 03:06:05 PM »
At a store the other day

Maybe they do have a man's maternity section. I'd be tempted to ask, just ya know, see whats there.
In the US, "women's" is retailer's code for "fat."   Smaller sizes are "Junior" or "Misses."  You could probably find maternity clothes in all 3 categories.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

newbiePA

• Outside the Marinara Zone- our new blog :)
« Reply #1760 on: January 13, 2014, 04:40:24 PM »
Usually maternity clothing is all lumped together, no matter what the size.  Oddly, in most department stores it seems to live next to the lingere. 
Not such a newbie anymore

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #1761 on: January 13, 2014, 04:48:48 PM »
Usually maternity clothing is all lumped together, no matter what the size.  Oddly, in most department stores it seems to live next to the lingere.

That's been my experience looking through stores, although it's terribly dispiriting to be looking at what you think is plus - size clothing, and look at the tag of a lovely blouse to see Maternity. Thanks, Target.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #1762 on: January 13, 2014, 05:22:05 PM »

Cause and consequence?

nuit93

« Reply #1763 on: January 13, 2014, 06:00:25 PM »

Cause and consequence?

Explains why the department store I used to work at put the lingerie across from the baby clothes.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #1764 on: January 13, 2014, 06:11:17 PM »
Or the ice skating rink is near a psychotherapist.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #1765 on: January 13, 2014, 06:50:00 PM »

That's been my experience looking through stores, although it's terribly dispiriting to be looking at what you think is plus - size clothing, and look at the tag of a lovely blouse to see Maternity. Thanks, Target.

They just got into trouble for that recently

Bethczar

« Reply #1766 on: January 13, 2014, 07:08:53 PM »

I'm plus size, and I've bought Target's maternity clothes. I'm apple shaped, so the shape works pretty well, and their maternity clothes are way cuter than their plus sizes.

Hillia

« Reply #1767 on: January 13, 2014, 07:52:02 PM »

I'm plus size, and I've bought Target's maternity clothes. I'm apple shaped, so the shape works pretty well, and their maternity clothes are way cuter than their plus sizes.

Yeah, Target's plus size department is terrible.  They might as well put up a sign on the door that says 'No Fat Chicks' and be done with it.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

KB

« Reply #1768 on: January 13, 2014, 08:42:44 PM »

They just got into trouble for that recently

Why on earth?  ???

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1769 on: January 13, 2014, 09:03:28 PM »

Apple shaped myself. I've recently found that maternity clothing fits my shape better than plus sized shirts and blouses. Plus sized tops are too loose around the collar and arm area.

Being an Apple and 50+ years old I'm almost embarrassed to say that the most comfortable jeans that I buy these days are the maternity jeans with an elastic-fit panel around the belly but the legs are thinner rather than buying my waist size and having extra material baggage around my thighs, etc.