Author Topic: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People  (Read 293433 times)

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
Re: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People
« Reply #1770 on: January 13, 2014, 09:55:08 PM »
Usually maternity clothing is all lumped together, no matter what the size.  Oddly, in most department stores it seems to live next to the lingere.

That's been my experience looking through stores, although it's terribly dispiriting to be looking at what you think is plus - size clothing, and look at the tag of a lovely blouse to see Maternity. Thanks, Target.

They just got into trouble for that recently

Why on earth?  ???

A plus size dress was advertised as a maternity dress, complete with a pregnant model, on Target.com  http://jezebel.com/funny-thing-i-just-decided-to-take-a-look-at-target-co-1495341306

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #1771 on: January 13, 2014, 10:17:28 PM »
Apple shaped and totally going to start looking at the maternity clothes the next time I go shopping...having something that doesn't slide off one or both shoulders to get enough fabric to go around me would be a nice change.

Just because I can sew doesn't mean that I want to sew every stitch of clothing that I ever plan to wear....
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Hillia

« Reply #1772 on: January 14, 2014, 12:51:42 PM »
I have often thought of trying maternity jeans, as I have a terrible time getting jeans that don't give me clown pants

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Teenyweeny

« Reply #1773 on: January 14, 2014, 01:00:49 PM »
If I was apple shaped (which I'm not, pear all the way ;)), I think I'd buy maternity clothes, although I can see why it would feel weird. Maternity clothes are generally much nicer than regular plus sizes, and I suspect they'd fit better.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #1774 on: January 14, 2014, 01:16:25 PM »
If I was apple shaped (which I'm not, pear all the way ;)), I think I'd buy maternity clothes, although I can see why it would feel weird. Maternity clothes are generally much nicer than regular plus sizes, and I suspect they'd fit better.

They will definitely make you look pregnant, though, because of the cut.  So not something I'd do if I were sensitive to "when are you due?!" types of remarks.  :)

BabyMama

• Kim Chee Casserole
« Reply #1775 on: January 14, 2014, 03:16:03 PM »

Usually maternity clothing is all lumped together, no matter what the size.  Oddly, in most department stores it seems to live next to the lingere.

That's been my experience looking through stores, although it's terribly dispiriting to be looking at what you think is plus - size clothing, and look at the tag of a lovely blouse to see Maternity. Thanks, Target.
I'm plus size, and I've bought Target's maternity clothes. I'm apple shaped, so the shape works pretty well, and their maternity clothes are way cuter than their plus sizes.

Yeah, Target's plus size department is terrible.  They might as well put up a sign on the door that says 'No Fat Chicks' and be done with it.

Seriously. I went in there looking for plain tees to wear under sweaters and cardis and learned Target thinks I'm an XXXL, even though in every other brand I'm an XL or maybe a 1X if I want it to be roomy. Ouch.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #1776 on: January 14, 2014, 03:35:16 PM »
Worse yet, Target doesn't actually label all of their maternity clothes as "maternity."  I'm a size 12.  I got a bunch of really nice summer maternity dresses on clearance.  I went to clear them out of my closet after Bittybartfast was born and only about a third of them actually said anything about maternity or baby or anything on the label.  I *know* they were all sold in the maternity section, but a few of them still fit me just fine, and I'm no particular shape (apple or otherwise).  I think they just figured "why not?" and slapped them in the "maternity" section of their website because hey, knit dresses are stretchy, right?

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1777 on: January 14, 2014, 03:58:54 PM »
Woman sues lawyers because they didn't tell her that divorce would terminate her marriage.

Honestly, what did the silly twit think "divorce" WAS???? Has it come to the point that every common English word has to be explained to people in short, easy words?  (I want to say "words of one syllable" but maybe "syllable" is too long for people like this.) ::)
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Vall

« Reply #1778 on: January 14, 2014, 04:06:39 PM »
I'm a large woman.  If a woman my size has already went to Target to shop for clothes once, I can't imagine having to tell her that they are a very poor choice.  In my area, they are absolutely the worst place to try to find plus sized clothes.  So bad, that they shouldn't even be on the list at all.  It only took me once to learn not to bother trying to shop there.

On a good note, Roaman's has very nice, comfortable clothes that fit this apple-shaped woman perfectly.  A lot of their styles have plenty of room in the middle but don't look like they're maternity.  I only wish they had a B&M to shop nearby.  Santa brought me this last month:
http://www.roamans.com/clothing/Crochet-Yoke-Bigshirt.aspx?PfId=410536&DeptId=26535&ProductTypeId=1&ppos=144&Splt=0&StyleNo=3058#.UtWlGfumCSo
Edited to add that the color was Merlot.  Very nice.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 09:21:40 PM by Vall »

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #1779 on: January 14, 2014, 05:19:39 PM »
Actually, I have been shopping in Target about three times in the last eighteen months.  All three times I ate at the Pizza Hut in their food court.  The third time, I got a graphing calculator "on sale" for my college student - about a month later, they got hacked....'nuff said.

Not going to Target - their stuff isn't high enough quality for the price most of the time (purses & furniture); the clothes just don't fit me (plus sized apple shape).  I live in the Houston, Texas area - there are too many artificial fibers in the blends for "easy care" - which turns them into "personal saunas" since nothing evaporates.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1780 on: January 14, 2014, 05:28:32 PM »
On a good note, Roaman's has very nice, comfortable clothes that fit this apple-shaped woman perfectly.  A lot of their styles have plenty of room in the middle but don't look like they're maternity.  I only wish they had a B&M to shop nearby.  Santa brought me this last month:
http://www.roamans.com/clothing/Crochet-Yoke-Bigshirt.aspx?PfId=410536&DeptId=26535&ProductTypeId=1&ppos=144&Splt=0&StyleNo=3058#.UtWlGfumCSo

I've recently discovered Roaman's. I am very pleased with their clothing.

lorelai

« Reply #1781 on: January 14, 2014, 09:36:01 PM »
Silly thing I've had to learn myself /

When I was first lurking on e-hell, I didn't know what scrabble meant, and I came across this post and just didn't get it: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=124274.0

How dumb am I??

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #1782 on: January 14, 2014, 09:43:37 PM »
Woman sues lawyers because they didn't tell her that divorce would terminate her marriage.

Honestly, what did the silly twit think "divorce" WAS???? Has it come to the point that every common English word has to be explained to people in short, easy words?  (I want to say "words of one syllable" but maybe "syllable" is too long for people like this.) ::)

Well, the woman is Catholic, so she believes it to be a sin to dissolve the marriage. That said, reading is fundamental, and she really should have read what she was signing.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1783 on: January 14, 2014, 09:44:20 PM »
...    Santa brought me this last month:
Edited to add that the color was Merlot.  Very nice.

That's a beautiful shirt! 

Sadly, not available in my size.   :(  I'd buy that in a heartbeat!

menley

« Reply #1784 on: January 15, 2014, 10:01:29 AM »
I had to tell someone today that no, the internet doesn't correct for name misspellings...

My name is a common variant of a name - think Ashleigh versus Ashley. And my email address is firstname.lastname@provider.com.  She repeatedly sent emails to ashley.lastname instead of ashleigh.lastname and could not figure out why I wasn't getting the e-mails. When I realized she was misspelling the name, I wrote down the actual address for her... but she still didn't understand why I wouldn't get the e-mail at the other address.  :o