Author Topic: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People  (Read 303082 times)

poundcake

Re: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People
« Reply #1785 on: January 15, 2014, 10:12:21 AM »
Silly thing I've had to learn myself /

When I was first lurking on e-hell, I didn't know what scrabble meant, and I came across this post and just didn't get it: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=124274.0

How dumb am I??

Based on the content of that post, I think the thing an adult should know is that you don't add household products, no matter what the scent/flavor, to your recipes.  ??? :P

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #1786 on: January 15, 2014, 02:34:31 PM »
Woman sues lawyers because they didn't tell her that divorce would terminate her marriage.

Honestly, what did the silly twit think "divorce" WAS???? Has it come to the point that every common English word has to be explained to people in short, easy words?  (I want to say "words of one syllable" but maybe "syllable" is too long for people like this.) ::)

Well, the woman is Catholic, so she believes it to be a sin to dissolve the marriage. That said, reading is fundamental, and she really should have read what she was signing.

But what did she think the lawyer was doing on her behalf? When the word "divorce" came up, did she really not know what that meant? Also, if she intends to adhere that strictly to her faith in that regards, shouldn't she have told them up front? I'm sure they've represented more than one Catholic seeking an actual divorce. I'm also sure they'd have been confused, "I don't want to be married to my husband anymore, but I'm very serious about the whole 'til death do us part' thing" - so why go to a lawyer?
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #1787 on: January 15, 2014, 02:52:33 PM »
That when applying for a graduate school program, the three required recommendations should be from people you have been working with academically, not your doctor or attorney. Especially not your dance teacher or high school guidance counselor. You can have more than three recommendations if you really want your dance teacher to complete one.

poundcake

« Reply #1788 on: January 15, 2014, 03:01:03 PM »
That when applying for a graduate school program, the three required recommendations should be from people you have been working with academically, not your doctor or attorney. Especially not your dance teacher or high school guidance counselor. You can have more than three recommendations if you really want your dance teacher to complete one.

Wow, yeah, the only way having your dance teacher write one of your recommendations is if you are either going into a dance program, or if your work with her/him is directly related to your potential graduate work (i.e. going into a psychology program in order to do work on how participation in dance for kids with traumas produces ___ results). No one cares what you did in high school unless, after graduation, you were hired there as the junior swim coach, and that is why you decided to go into physical therapy and sports medicine.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #1789 on: January 15, 2014, 03:36:26 PM »

My father didn't know that. He wanted me to use my godfather as a reference.

(And no, not the "Don" type of godfather whose offer could not be refused.  :D)
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

blueyzca01

« Reply #1790 on: January 15, 2014, 04:49:37 PM »
Woman sues lawyers because they didn't tell her that divorce would terminate her marriage.

Honestly, what did the silly twit think "divorce" WAS???? Has it come to the point that every common English word has to be explained to people in short, easy words?  (I want to say "words of one syllable" but maybe "syllable" is too long for people like this.) ::)

Well, the woman is Catholic, so she believes it to be a sin to dissolve the marriage. That said, reading is fundamental, and she really should have read what she was signing.

But what did she think the lawyer was doing on her behalf? When the word "divorce" came up, did she really not know what that meant? Also, if she intends to adhere that strictly to her faith in that regards, shouldn't she have told them up front? I'm sure they've represented more than one Catholic seeking an actual divorce. I'm also sure they'd have been confused, "I don't want to be married to my husband anymore, but I'm very serious about the whole 'til death do us part' thing" - so why go to a lawyer?

Iíve often wondered:  since in the invention of the internet and stuff like Facebook, are people getting dumber or are we just more aware of the dumb people? 
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 05:46:31 PM by blueyzca01 »
No one ever says, "Why me?!?!" when something good happens.

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1791 on: January 15, 2014, 04:56:10 PM »
blueyzca01 wrote:

"Iíve often wondered:  since in the invention of the internet and stuff of like Facebook, are people getting dumber or are we just more aware of the dumb people?"

Definitely just more aware.  The trick is that people this thick have always been around, it's just that recently we hear about their antics even though they live far away, where this would have been a local joke before the days of instant communications.

Virg

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1792 on: January 15, 2014, 05:14:10 PM »
It can also be said that because of the Internet and social media we come into contact with more of them. 

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1793 on: January 15, 2014, 07:54:58 PM »
I'm about to snitch on DH again.

I am 5'2" (157 centimeters) and DH is 5'11" (180 centimeters)  As you can imagine, when we change drivers in the car, it involves significant changes of the seat position.  Our current car requires the brake pedal to be depressed before you can start the engine.

DH had driven the car last, but I was going to drive this time.  We get in the car and I start to adjust the seat. 

DH: Why don't you turn the engine on and let it warm up while you fiddle with the seat?
Me: Because I can't reach the brake pedal!  Why do you think I need to adjust the seat?
DH: Um, to make yourself more comfortable?
Me: ::) No, dear, it's because when the seat is all the way back in your position, my feet can't reach the pedals!
DH: Oh. 

(Technically, I could reach them with the seat in his position -- but it involves slumping so far down in the seat that I can't see over the steering wheel.)
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #1794 on: January 15, 2014, 09:19:09 PM »
The other day I told Blanche about the break-in at a local business.  The thief took a large number of scratch lottery tickets.  There was at least one winning ticket in the lot for $500 and it was cashed a half hour after the burglary.  I was in the store later that morning and the shop owner was on the phone with the police because he saw the thief enter the supermarket on the next block a few minutes before.

She asked "Can you cash them that soon?"

I couldn't believe that she never saw people hanging out in those places, scratching tickets, turning in winners for more tickets, etc.

Library Dragon

« Reply #1795 on: January 15, 2014, 10:39:09 PM »

She probably got her religious information from TV or great Aunt Tilly. DH spends a lot of time telling folks over and over that divorce doesn't mean one is excommunicated.  If he really wants to drive home the point he tells them he was married twice before me.

---

Clothes--I'm still sad the local branch of my favorite store closed. www.cjbanks.com has a great selecion and the clearance sales are awesome. 

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

baglady

• A big lass and a bonny lass and she loves her beer
« Reply #1796 on: January 16, 2014, 12:20:54 AM »
The other day I told Blanche about the break-in at a local business.  The thief took a large number of scratch lottery tickets.  There was at least one winning ticket in the lot for $500 and it was cashed a half hour after the burglary.  I was in the store later that morning and the shop owner was on the phone with the police because he saw the thief enter the supermarket on the next block a few minutes before.

I couldn't believe that she never saw people hanging out in those places, scratching tickets, turning in winners for more tickets, etc.

I can understand her confusion, because in New York, big winners can't be cashed in at the retailer -- you have to send in a claim form to lottery HQ. The cutoff for cashing in at the store is $600. But someone who doesn't play might not know that, so I can see her being surprised that someone could get an instant payout on a $500 winning ticket.
My photography is on Redbubble! Come see: http://www.redbubble.com/people/baglady

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #1797 on: January 16, 2014, 10:46:29 AM »

Lawyers are not spiritual advisers and shouldn't be commenting on their client's spiritual matters. I can see some very offended clients if they told catholics that they shouldn't be getting divorced.

On the other hand, I would have more sympathy if she alleged that her lawyer had not advised her there were options other than a full divorce.

Jocelyn

« Reply #1798 on: January 16, 2014, 09:06:42 PM »
Having sat on a graduate school admissions committee, I can assure you that the committee DOES look askance at applicants who don't have a supervisor or a professor who will recommend them. And as an advisor, I've filled out a lot of recommendations, and at least one major university used a form that asked about MY teaching experience, and asked me to rate this student among all the students I'd taught on a graduate level (in the top X% of YYY students I've taught). I guess they wanted to weigh the references based on whether professors had actually taught graduate school, and whether they knew enough about what sort of students would do well there (and whether this student was one of them).

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1799 on: January 17, 2014, 05:37:59 AM »

I can understand her confusion, because in New York, big winners can't be cashed in at the retailer -- you have to send in a claim form to lottery HQ. The cutoff for cashing in at the store is $600. But someone who doesn't play might not know that, so I can see her being surprised that someone could get an instant payout on a $500 winning ticket.

I don't know a thing about lottery tickets except they exist, are sold at gas stations, people sometimes win, and sometimes there are numbers on TV. I never have seen anyone hanging out messing with them. I get around, travel a lot, shop. They're just not on my radar at all. ( No moral objection; they seem like just a waste of money for me. I would get no pleasure out of games of chance.)