Author Topic: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People  (Read 215059 times)

Library Dragon

I have a 2nd grader that wanted to do a report about lions - but we were researching the Amazon Rainforest. So I did a search for "big cats Amazon Rainforest" so she could do another big cat which led to her having a fit. Lion, tigers are in every jungle and they aren't cats. With this one - she is so stubborn I can see her an adult still insisting that lions aren't cats.

Breaking through the presumptions can be so hard. Every year I taught 6th graders how to do a research paper. I told them they could do it on anything in or having to do with Africa.  First was getting them to understand that Africa is a continent not a country.  We would have heated discussions when I asked if the following topics could be the paper's topic:

1. The Pyramids
2. Diamonds
3. Penguins

I had lots of arguments over the latter.

That's because there is a African Penguin  http://www.penguins.cl/african-penguins.htm 

I thought she was saying that the kids thought that penguins couldn't be in Africa because it's not cold enough

Yes. All items in the list are related to Africa and would be acceptable topics.  I sometimes had to pull out maps to show them South Africa's location and why it was logical that there would be penguins.

I've had adults tell me that Egypt wasn't part of the African continent.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
As a Canadian, we had to memorize the provinces and territories and their capitols.  But it is a heck of lot easier to remember 10 provinces and 2 (now 3) territories than 50 states and 2 (I think) territories.

There are 4 US terriorities.  US Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, Guam, & American Samoa.

The Northern Mariana Islands are also a territory.

Thanks!  I learned something today.   :)
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

rain

I just saw this today on a gas pump

This gasoline is not for use in airplanes

:o
"oh we thank thee lord for the things we need, like the wind and the rain and the apple seed"

Nikko-chan

I saw one on facebook. don't know if it's real or not but....

"Goodbye America, Hello New York!"

Someone replied:

"New York is in America."

nutraxfornerves

There are a lot of anecdotes about "Goodbye, God, I'm going to X." I'd take "Goodbye America, Hello New York!" as a statement that New York City is very different from other parts of the US. As in "New York is a great place to visit, but it is not 'America'." (Something I've heard more than once.)

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

Nikko-chan

There are a lot of anecdotes about "Goodbye, God, I'm going to X." I'd take "Goodbye America, Hello New York!" as a statement that New York City is very different from other parts of the US. As in "New York is a great place to visit, but it is not 'America'." (Something I've heard more than once.)

Let's hope it was meant that way!

Bluenomi

That no, boy/girl twins can NOT be identical. The standard question after learning my twins are boy/girl is, are they identical? I always reply nicely that, no, they aren't, but I've had a few people ask me if I'm sure!

I've had to explain this to a few people recently. One seriously thought that gender was determinded during mid pregnancy and you could have itentical twins of difference genders because the egg split before gender was determinded.

Asharah

Had my niece, who's in 8th grade ask if there were any rivers in Africa. I asked if she ever heard of the Nile.  ::)
Asharah

StarFaerie

I have a 2nd grader that wanted to do a report about lions - but we were researching the Amazon Rainforest. So I did a search for "big cats Amazon Rainforest" so she could do another big cat which led to her having a fit. Lion, tigers are in every jungle and they aren't cats. With this one - she is so stubborn I can see her an adult still insisting that lions aren't cats.

Breaking through the presumptions can be so hard. Every year I taught 6th graders how to do a research paper. I told them they could do it on anything in or having to do with Africa.  First was getting them to understand that Africa is a continent not a country.  We would have heated discussions when I asked if the following topics could be the paper's topic:

1. The Pyramids
2. Diamonds
3. Penguins

I had lots of arguments over the latter.

That's because there is a African Penguin  http://www.penguins.cl/african-penguins.htm 

I thought she was saying that the kids thought that penguins couldn't be in Africa because it's not cold enough

Yes. All items in the list are related to Africa and would be acceptable topics.  I sometimes had to pull out maps to show them South Africa's location and why it was logical that there would be penguins.

I've had adults tell me that Egypt wasn't part of the African continent.

Penguin placement isn't always logical
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galapagos_Penguin

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
I really wish notalwaysworking accepted comments on their stories.. there's so much wrong with this one: http://notalwaysworking.com/euro-out-of-your-mind

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
Yes, there really is a Sheriff of Nottingham.

Yes, there really is a large bird in Australia that will (rarely) attack by using the large sharp claw it has on each foot.  No, I have not been "watching too much Jurassic Park".  It is called a cassowary.

StarFaerie

I really wish notalwaysworking accepted comments on their stories.. there's so much wrong with this one: http://notalwaysworking.com/euro-out-of-your-mind

Oh, yes that one. I was yelling at my screen about that one earlier today.

cabbageweevil

Yes, there really is a Sheriff of Nottingham.
The term "Sheriff" originated with us Brits, did it not?  Originally "shire reeve" -- a royal official responsible for keeping the peace throughout a shire (county). The word and the idea taken up in the USA, of course without the "royal" bit.

MariaE

• So many books, so little time

... and the boss wasn't even the most clueless one. Guess it's a great example of "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing".

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

menley

... and the boss wasn't even the most clueless one. Guess it's a great example of "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing".

I can't tell you how many tourists I've overheard in my city (Budapest) angrily asking a vendor why they don't accept Euros "because you're part of Europe!" And yes, while we are part of the EU, we are not on the Euro. If they had done the barest of trip planning, they should have discovered this long before they arrived!

Not to mention the tourists who think that the US dollar should be accepted here because "it's so much more valuable than your currency." Ugh. But that's another thread altogether :)