Author Topic: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People  (Read 308388 times)

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
I really wish notalwaysworking accepted comments on their stories.. there's so much wrong with this one: http://notalwaysworking.com/euro-out-of-your-mind

Oh, yes that one. I was yelling at my screen about that one earlier today.

... and the boss wasn't even the most clueless one. Guess it's a great example of "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing".

I can't tell you how many tourists I've overheard in my city (Budapest) angrily asking a vendor why they don't accept Euros "because you're part of Europe!" And yes, while we are part of the EU, we are not on the Euro. If they had done the barest of trip planning, they should have discovered this long before they arrived!

Not to mention the tourists who think that the US dollar should be accepted here because "it's so much more valuable than your currency." Ugh. But that's another thread altogether :)

Same goes for Denmark. Part of the EU, but still kept our Danish Krone. I think many stores will accept Euro notes though, but any change will be given in DKK.

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

perpetua

I misread that as, "women don't have potatoes"  :P

A friend of mine was in her first year of med school. The topic of the tutorial happened to be human puberty or something similar, and the tutor was kind of rushing through the obvious stuff that everyone knows to get to the more important details that they would need to know as doctors. But then one guy raised his hand and interrupted...

"Hang on, did you say that during menstruation, blood comes out constantly? For days?"
"Yes, that's pretty much the biggest symptom of menstruation. Anyway-"
"No, no, I mean, constantly? Come on!"
"What do you mean? Of course it's constant; they can't just turn it off and on for convenience anymore than you can turn your heart off when you feel like it!"

The guy's jaw hit the ground. Apparently he thought it was just bloody urine. He had no idea that it occurred outside bathroom visits. I don't know if he finished med school. I've heard worse misconceptions, but not from med students.
I knew a guy who thought that too.  It was in college. He and his girlfriend were having a huge fight over playing scrabble since she did not enjoy scrabble while having her period. He kept insisting that she was being mean and lying since everyone knows that women only bleed when they go to the bathroom. It was a GREAT shock to discover to him that women are not that lucky.

If that were the case, why would there be a need for maxi pads and tampons?  Although I guess somebody who is that clueless really doesn't think about those things. 
Actually, that point was included in the discussion and his defense was indeed an indignant, "Well, I never thought about that! Why would i?" Oh I don't know, because that reality would contradict a belief you have and a reasonably intelligent and/or curious person would want to get to the bottom of a contradiction.

Y'know - the more I think about it, the more I can actually imagine several types of young men not being aware of this. I don't think this is so out there. Perhaps if they've had a very sheltered upbringing, or grown up in an environment where such things are kept secret, or if they've never had a girlfriend, or didn't grow up with any women in the house. I'd imagine biology lessons cover that menstruation happens, but not all of its finer plot points (although it's been an awful long time since I was in school so I could be wrong).

Med students though? Not so much of a pass :)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 05:31:07 AM by perpetua »

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
When I taught the menstrual cycle to 11/12yo boys, they were fascinated.

Tini

When I was in hospital after an emergency c-section, the pain relief was provided by suppositories (don't ask me why, maybe the absorption is better). Anyhow, the first one - neatly wrapped in its square, kinda sharp-edged foil package - was handed to me by the nurse with the earnest admonishment to "remember to unwrap it".

I looked at her rather incredulously and said "You're not trying to tell me that someone..." at which point she nodded vigorously and I tried very hard not to laugh, because that really hurts when you have just had a c-section and no pain relief yet that morning.

Eeep.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
I really wish notalwaysworking accepted comments on their stories.. there's so much wrong with this one: http://notalwaysworking.com/euro-out-of-your-mind
Why??

MariaE

Why??

Why do I wish they accepted comments or why there's so much wrong with it?

Emmy

I misread that as, "women don't have potatoes"  :P

A friend of mine was in her first year of med school. The topic of the tutorial happened to be human puberty or something similar, and the tutor was kind of rushing through the obvious stuff that everyone knows to get to the more important details that they would need to know as doctors. But then one guy raised his hand and interrupted...

"Hang on, did you say that during menstruation, blood comes out constantly? For days?"
"Yes, that's pretty much the biggest symptom of menstruation. Anyway-"
"No, no, I mean, constantly? Come on!"
"What do you mean? Of course it's constant; they can't just turn it off and on for convenience anymore than you can turn your heart off when you feel like it!"

The guy's jaw hit the ground. Apparently he thought it was just bloody urine. He had no idea that it occurred outside bathroom visits. I don't know if he finished med school. I've heard worse misconceptions, but not from med students.
I knew a guy who thought that too.  It was in college. He and his girlfriend were having a huge fight over playing scrabble since she did not enjoy scrabble while having her period. He kept insisting that she was being mean and lying since everyone knows that women only bleed when they go to the bathroom. It was a GREAT shock to discover to him that women are not that lucky.

If that were the case, why would there be a need for maxi pads and tampons?  Although I guess somebody who is that clueless really doesn't think about those things. 
Actually, that point was included in the discussion and his defense was indeed an indignant, "Well, I never thought about that! Why would i?" Oh I don't know, because that reality would contradict a belief you have and a reasonably intelligent and/or curious person would want to get to the bottom of a contradiction.

Y'know - the more I think about it, the more I can actually imagine several types of young men not being aware of this. I don't think this is so out there. Perhaps if they've had a very sheltered upbringing, or grown up in an environment where such things are kept secret, or if they've never had a girlfriend, or didn't grow up with any women in the house. I'd imagine biology lessons cover that menstruation happens, but not all of its finer plot points (although it's been an awful long time since I was in school so I could be wrong).

Med students though? Not so much of a pass :)

I don't think it would be so silly if he didn't know about menstruation and would admit his idea was wrong when somebody with more experience on the subject corrected him.  I just find it crazy that he argued with his girlfriend, called her a liar, and insisted 'everybody' knew women only bled when they went to the bathroom when he had no knowledge on the subject what so ever.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
Why??

What's wrong with it?

MariaE

Why??

What's wrong with it?

Well, the boss is wrong - England doesn't use Euro even though it's in Europe. But the OP of the post is wrong too in the following: "No, they donít. Only the countries in the European Union use the euro."

Error 1: England is part of the European Union (since 1973, same year as Denmark joined incidentally).
Error 2: Not all countries in the EU use the Euro. England doesn't (pound sterling), Denmark doesn't (Danish kroner), Sweden doesn't (Swedish krona)... I'm sure there are others, but those three I'm certain of.

So the OP was just as mistaken as the boss.

joraemi

• Crystal of Enchantment - my current project
No - you cannot play Scrabble in your hospital room just after you've had a baby.

Courage is the price life  exacts for granting peace.  ~Amelia Earhart~

faithlessone

No - you cannot play Scrabble in your hospital room just after you've had a baby.

Why would you want to???

Snooks

It doesn't matter that there's twins in your husband's family, you won't be having twins.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
A few years ago I was in the HR department to pick up a paycheck. 

A Supervisor was breaking in a new employee.

'Our records begin on July 1 and end on June 31.  This is known as the physical year'.   :o

These are people who are taking care of payroll?

MariaE

It doesn't matter that there's twins in your husband's family, you won't be having twins.

Are the "likelihood of twins"-gene only passed down through the maternal side of the family?

bonyk

When I toured the hospital before having DD, they showed us the labor room bathroom, and mentioned that the rule was that only the mother-to-be could be in the shower and DH had to remain clothed at all times.  Turns out there had been an 'incident' previously.