Author Topic: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People  (Read 322772 times)

Snooks

It doesn't matter that there's twins in your husband's family, you won't be having twins.

Are the "likelihood of twins"-gene only passed down through the maternal side of the family?

I've never found a definitive answer for that (i.e. the likelihood of your daughter having twins if there are twins in your husband's family) but nothing your husband can do can make you release two eggs.

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
It doesn't matter that there's twins in your husband's family, you won't be having twins.

Are the "likelihood of twins"-gene only passed down through the maternal side of the family?

I've never found a definitive answer for that (i.e. the likelihood of your daughter having twins if there are twins in your husband's family) but nothing your husband can do can make you release two eggs.

Very true, but it might be possible that something your husband can do can make the egg split into two embryos. So identical twins might still be possible.

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

Snooks

Very true, but it might be possible that something your husband can do can make the egg split into two embryos. So identical twins might still be possible.

From what I've read the general opinion is that identical twins don't run in families.

MariaE

• So many books, so little time

From what I've read the general opinion is that identical twins don't run in families.

Fair enough - I wouldn't have a clue :) I've just heard that twins run in families, but had no idea about the specifics.

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

Luci

• Super Hero!
A few years ago I was in the HR department to pick up a paycheck. 

A Supervisor was breaking in a new employee.

'Our records begin on July 1 and end on June 31.  This is known as the physical year'.   :o

These are people who are taking care of payroll?

The same reason that Realtors (tm, by the way) sometimes say "Realator" or a nurse may say "mameogram".  I've often wondered it it is some sort of speach anomoly.

I understand why people not in the businesses may mispronounce, but I, too, would expect the professional to say these works properly.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
'Physical year' for 'fiscal year' bothered me.  The worst part was 'June 31'.  June has only 30 days. 

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
There are a lot of anecdotes about "Goodbye, God, I'm going to X." I'd take "Goodbye America, Hello New York!" as a statement that New York City is very different from other parts of the US. As in "New York is a great place to visit, but it is not 'America'." (Something I've heard more than once.)

Let's hope it was meant that way!

Actually, speaking as a NYers, I really object to it being meant that way! We are as American as any other part of the world. We may not be the SUBURBS, and we may not be a SMALL TOWN.

But we are American.

Cami

There are a lot of anecdotes about "Goodbye, God, I'm going to X." I'd take "Goodbye America, Hello New York!" as a statement that New York City is very different from other parts of the US. As in "New York is a great place to visit, but it is not 'America'." (Something I've heard more than once.)

Actually, speaking as a NYers, I really object to it being meant that way! We are as American as any other part of the world. We may not be the SUBURBS, and we may not be a SMALL TOWN.

But we are American.
Living in the midwest, I've been told multiple times over the years that NYC is not "really America". As  NYer, I take offense to that. I especially took offense when I heard that in the wake of 9/11 and had people telling me that they couldn't get that upset over it since an attack in NYC "isn't really like an attack on America."

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
In the wake of 9/11, it was the FIRST time I had ever felt that the rest of the country considered us to be "one of them," actually.

Up until that point, I felt that there was a big disconnect between NYC and the rest of the country. After the attack, it felt that people in other parts of the country WERE saying, "that was an attack on America, on me, on US."

rose red

• Super Hero!
I think some (not all) people may feel that way because they hear some (not all) New Yorkers say "Well in New York, we..." like they want to feel separate from the rest of the US.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!

Actually, speaking as a NYers, I really object to it being meant that way! We are as American as any
 other part of the world. We may not be the SUBURBS, and we may not be a SMALL TOWN.

But we are American.

Amen. 

People who aren't from the area often think that NYC is all Times Square and Donald Trump.  Even within Manhattan, there are neighborhoods that are more like small towns than the general perception of NYC.  That's especially true in the outer boroughs. 

Even people in upstate NYC may harbor a certain animosity towards the city.  That's one reason why we had so much trouble getting state money for relief after Sandy. 

daen

I offer the following proves-absolutely-nothing anecdote: I know a pair of identical twins whose father has twin sisters.
This anecdotal evidence is further weakend because I have no word as to if said twin aunts are fraternal or identical.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
How on earth did that guy ever pass the entrance exam to medical school?  That is actually scary.

Free Range Hippy Chick

Yes, there is indeed a city in England called York. No, it isn't named after New York. The county of Hampshire is not named after New Hampshire. Yes indeed, we also have a Boston, and a Cambridge. They're quite close. No, they aren't named after... We have Bangor as well. I know of at least three Bangors in Wales and one in Northern Ireland. They are not named after... Yes, Norfolk is in England too.

No, we don't have an Orleans, not in England. It's in France.

I assumed he was just teasing me until he went and told somebody else that I was being stupid because everybody knows that British places are named after American ones.

Snooks

There's even a university in Cambridge!