Author Topic: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People  (Read 332014 times)

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
Re: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People
« Reply #2145 on: February 06, 2014, 02:12:56 PM »
A lot of Americans think a cathedral is a really old big church. :) There's some confusion about whether a particular Catholic church is a cathedral or not, because there may be a very elaborate old church that is not the seat of a bishop. And then there's situations like the archdiocese of Kansas City MO and St. Joseph, MO, which have co-cathedrals in each city. :)

I'd forgotten about the seat of the bishop bit.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2146 on: February 06, 2014, 02:33:59 PM »
A lot of Americans think a cathedral is a really old big church. :) There's some confusion about whether a particular Catholic church is a cathedral or not, because there may be a very elaborate old church that is not the seat of a bishop. And then there's situations like the archdiocese of Kansas City MO and St. Joseph, MO, which have co-cathedrals in each city. :)

I'd forgotten about the seat of the bishop bit.

Most dictionaries give at least three definitions:

1.    The principal church of a bishop's diocese, containing the episcopal throne.

2.    A large, important church.

3.    Something that resembles a cathedral, as in grandeur or authority.

So even people who aren't aware of (or don't remember) the bishop connection aren't entirely wrong.

menley

« Reply #2147 on: February 06, 2014, 02:54:13 PM »
Apparently the word cathedral isn't common knowledge here. We had to edit some ads we did for a client's series of concerts, called "Music in the Cathedral" because someone called them angry and complained about how the ads don't say where the concerts are (there's only one cathedral in our town). I was telling a friend about it and he didn't know what it meant either. To be fair, we do usually use another word for that type of church and he isn't Christian but neither am I (and he's lived close to the cathedral his whole life) and I don't find it particularly obscure.

Wow, really? Even my friends from the US (where we typically don't have "cathedrals", just churches) would all know what a cathedral was!

I think most US cities have at least one Cathedral - at least cities of a certain size. Of course, I wouldn't necessarily know anything about where it was since I'm not religious anymore, but when I was, I always knew of at least one in whatever city if I spent enough time there.

I was falling victim to the very thing the rest of the thread is talking about - when I think cathedral, I think the Sagrada Familia or similar, not our churches. I actually never knew that it was a technical term. Guess I should add that to the thread of things I've just learned that should be obvious!

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2148 on: February 06, 2014, 03:31:34 PM »
What's the difference between a catherdral and a basilica? I've been to St. Patrick's Cathedral in Manhatten and  to the "Cathedral Basilica of St. Augustine" in Florida, among others.

I think I finally gleaned that the basilica is so designated by the Pope, but in the long run all I end up with a lovely ornate Catholic church that I visit for the beauty and leave with a feeling of awe.

Miss Misery

• Humanity is overrated.
« Reply #2149 on: February 06, 2014, 04:03:27 PM »
Many moons ago I e-mailed a drawing to my family, but somehow I managed to turn the pic sideways just before I hit the "send" button. Ah well, these things happen. I sent another e-mail with the pic remaining upright.

Easy enough, right?

Later I get an e-mail from my older sister about how 'wow, you are so talented to draw a picture sideways'. She thought they were two different drawings!  ;D

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #2150 on: February 06, 2014, 04:05:39 PM »
^ Tee hee.

My lovely and talented teenage son came home from school and noticed a lot of police activity.

Does he stay home? No.
Does he stay in our community? No.
Does he walk past the SWAT team to the drugstore on the corner to buy gum? Yes, of course. :o

I informed him to get himself inside and stay there until I get home.  ::)

Kaymyth

« Reply #2151 on: February 06, 2014, 04:10:32 PM »
Some time ago, myself and a few other people had to convince an acquaintance that no, reindeer are not mythical.  It's just the *flying* that's mythical.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #2152 on: February 06, 2014, 04:22:15 PM »
I had to tell a fellow student that it was standard procedure for a professor to mark down points for misspelled words and terms. She was astonished at the concept.

I can sort of imagine that by university (which I associate with professors), the professors would be "beyond" marking and taking points off for misspellings/typos, in the sense that they're looking at the bigger picture of concepts, citations, etc.. But I think that is predicated on the fact that by university, the students should be beyond making such simple errors on an assignment they turn in. So if a professor took the time to mark the single typo in my ten-page essay, I would find that kind of odd, though honestly I would be more irritated at myself for leaving it in. However, if a paper was riddled with typos and mistakes, or had repeated misuse of an important term, that seems like cause for losing points.

I had a beginning-level archaeologist class, for example, where in my first paper I kept using the term "pot shards" when in fact, archaeologists say and spell it "pot sherds." Since it means "broken pieces of pottery," I was likening it to broken shards of glass, and the two words are so similar in sound and spelling--I thought it was a mix of me hearing it incorrectly, and maybe a British spelling, like color vs. colour, which I wasn't obligated to use. Yup, the professor marked every incorrect instance (and was right to do so), though I don't remember him taking off points for it. I got my paper back and thought, "Oh, this is a real thing after all."

Another time, as a graduate student when I really should have known better, I turned in a long term paper in which I had done the in-text citations wrong. If there are multiple authors on a paper--for example, Bob Smith, Sue Jones, and Amy Miller, in that order--in-text you often shorten the citation to "Smith et al." with the "et al." being an abbreviation for "et alii" which in Latin means "and others" (yes, I had to look that up just now). The point is, "et" is a complete word, but "al" is an abbreviation and needs a period after it. I had done all the citations as "et. al" getting it backwards. ::facepalm:: And the truth is, I wasn't 100% certain as I was writing it, I was just too lazy to double-check. And this professor dutifully marked every single instance. Again, I don't think he actually took off points, but it was rather humbling to see the red marks all over my entire paper.
My Australian history lecture told us once of a girl doing an honours thesis about John Curtin, Prime Minister during WWII. She spelled his name "curtain" every single time in her thesis. We joked she left him hanging there.

Psychopoesie

« Reply #2153 on: February 06, 2014, 04:24:14 PM »
The people of Wells
Have a cathedral all to theirsel's;
But of their bishop they have to give half
To "Barf".

That definitely does not work in most American accents, which are rhotic (that is, the letter R is always pronounced.)  So "Barf" is not going to come out as "Bahf" (a non standard pronunciation of the city of Bath), but rather as "barrf" (to vomit).

Apologies -- the business of "rhotic you, non-rhotic us" -- which I know in theory, but tend to forget in practice, especially in the heat of posting. I should have spelt it "Bahf".

Funny. Works in Oz accent. Plus the word barf as in to vomit also gets pronounced bahf. Adding more r's barrf just makes it sound a bit like a sheep bleating when I say it. So nutraxfornerves second sentence gave me the giggles. Knew what was meant but so hard to convey pronunciation in text.  :)

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #2154 on: February 06, 2014, 04:30:03 PM »
Be careful of babies with the Bishop of Bath and Wells. ;)

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2155 on: February 06, 2014, 04:39:10 PM »
What's the difference between a catherdral and a basilica? I've been to St. Patrick's Cathedral in Manhatten and  to the "Cathedral Basilica of St. Augustine" in Florida, among others.

I think I finally gleaned that the basilica is so designated by the Pope, but in the long run all I end up with a lovely ornate Catholic church that I visit for the beauty and leave with a feeling of awe.
DH says that a church can be a basilica without being a cathedral.  That it is designated by the Pope as having certain ecclesiastical privileges, and frequently IS a cathedral, but doesn't need to be.  Usually it has some sort of cultural or historical background. 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #2156 on: February 06, 2014, 05:48:11 PM »
I was the silly one today  ::)  I've been writing this afternoon.  Really on a roll, which is nice.  And then realized that the reason my character had just spent four unnecessary paragraphs rhapsodizing over the smell of the chicken and dumplings she was making was because, in fact, I'm starving because I forgot to eat lunch.  Or breakfast.

So now I get to go eat (gonna grab something quick and then take the time to make homemade chicken and dumplings, I guess!) and then go edit out a bunch of food musings which were taking over my nice romantic scene  :P

Jocelyn

« Reply #2157 on: February 06, 2014, 10:03:29 PM »

DH says that a church can be a basilica without being a cathedral.  That it is designated by the Pope as having certain ecclesiastical privileges, and frequently IS a cathedral, but doesn't need to be.  Usually it has some sort of cultural or historical background.
A monastery may have its chapel designated as a basilica: Conception Abbey in Conception MO, which is home to a seminary as well, has a basilica. Visit their web site, it's worth the trip. ;)

greencat

« Reply #2158 on: February 06, 2014, 10:22:41 PM »
This is a thing an adult should really know about himself: that he is a poor speller, and if a word processor is not highlighting spelling errors as he types, then perhaps that particular program does not do the little red squiggly lines. 

"im" is not an acceptable substitute for "I'm" in written English.  Proper nouns should be capitalized. There is a difference between you're and your, and they're/their/there.  Commas should separate independent clauses.

I blame the schools and college he attended for not bothering to actually teach him how to spell, capitalize, and punctuate, and instead allowing him to rely on a computer to do all those tasks.

Library Dragon

« Reply #2159 on: February 07, 2014, 01:23:25 AM »

As others have mentioned for Catholics a Cathedral is the official church of a bishop. His seat (cathedra).

A basilica must “stand out as a center of active and pastoral liturgy,” according to the 1989 Vatican document Domus ecclesiae. You're right, the designation comes from the Pope.

What gets confusing is that a basilica isn't always a cathedral. In Rome/Vatican City St. Peter's is a basilica, but the cathedral is St. John Lateran. The Pope is the Bishop of Rome and when acting solely in that capacity does so from St. John Lateran.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter