News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• September 23, 2017, 06:37:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People  (Read 1173121 times)

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
Re: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People
« Reply #2160 on: February 07, 2014, 04:11:52 PM »
First Aid - the very basics - washing a wound with hot water, soap, or some kind of disinfectant (if shallow) or seeking medical care if it is deeper than the skin (especially puncture wounds).

VorGuy is NOT the person to turn to for emergency medical care - unless you get quite insistent on it being time to see a DOCTOR.

I have learned that VorGuy needs to be told, bluntly, "take ____ to the ER NOW" - he was never a Boy Scout tm and had no real training in what to do if someone was injured.  Apparently the medics in the squad were supposed to take care of that or his mother, wife, sister (an RN), or some other person who knew more than he did about what to do.

(((sigh)))  He has good points - but he grew up in the John Wayne era and he doesn't like seeing doctors.  I'm not sure if there is any cause & effect or just coincidence...
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 07:40:21 AM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

TootsNYC

« Reply #2161 on: February 07, 2014, 06:44:19 PM »
Visit their web site, it's worth the trip. ;)

Is the winkie because the visit to the website is worth the trip?
It made me smile.

Jocelyn

« Reply #2162 on: February 07, 2014, 08:35:25 PM »

It made me smile.
Well, *I* think their website is well worth looking at. YMMV. The winkie was intended to soften what otherwise might come off as a rather arrogant command.

Actually, I'd recommend a visit to the basilica, if you're ever in the area. It's in a remote section of Missouri, so staying in the guest house is probably your cheapest and most convenient housing option, too. There is a women's cloister a few miles away at Clyde.

I spent Christmas there about 10 years ago, and it was one of the loveliest weeks of my life. Even though it was absolutely arctic, and getting up for prayers at 6:15 am and trotting through the dark and cold from the guesthouse to the monastery required considerable discipline.

mbbored

• Budget Grad Student
« Reply #2163 on: February 07, 2014, 09:07:17 PM »
Today I was talking with two coworkers: one Australian and one American. We were all discussing the Olympics and the Australian said that he was always a little disappointed that he didn't get to watch his own country's athletes on tv: rather he had to hunt for videos online. Our American coworker was surprised that:

A) Australia has a winter Olympic team (But it's summer there now!)
B) That an Australian wouldn't automatically want to watch all the American competitors (But we're the best!)

We set him straight and he left us with the classic line "Huh, I never thought of that before!"

TootsNYC

« Reply #2164 on: February 07, 2014, 09:11:59 PM »

It made me smile.
Well, *I* think their website is well worth looking at. YMMV. The winkie was intended to soften what otherwise might come off as a rather arrogant command.

Actually, I'd recommend a visit to the basilica, if you're ever in the area. It's in a remote section of Missouri, so staying in the guest house is probably your cheapest and most convenient housing option, too. There is a women's cloister a few miles away at Clyde.

I spent Christmas there about 10 years ago, and it was one of the loveliest weeks of my life. Even though it was absolutely arctic, and getting up for prayers at 6:15 am and trotting through the dark and cold from the guesthouse to the monastery required considerable discipline.

It didn't come off as the least bit arrogant. I just thought you were making a work-geek-type joke that even the *website* is worth a "visit" (since people "visit" websites).

It sounds really neat.

Slartibartfast

• Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #2165 on: February 07, 2014, 09:12:32 PM »
Today I was talking with two coworkers: one Australian and one American. We were all discussing the Olympics and the Australian said that he was always a little disappointed that he didn't get to watch his own country's athletes on tv: rather he had to hunt for videos online. Our American coworker was surprised that:

B) That an Australian wouldn't automatically want to watch all the American competitors (But we're the best!)

We set him straight and he left us with the classic line "Huh, I never thought of that before!"

I get kind of annoyed, actually, at how few options we Americans get when it comes to Olympics coverage.  Sure, I'm happy to watch our own athletes.  I also want to watch athletes from other countries!  Half our coverage is our own team and most of the other half is sappy human interest vignettes about their home lives, though - as much as it may be interesting to find out who has twin boys and who grew up in Brooklyn, it would be more interesting to actually watch world-class athletes compete in the sports they went to the Olympics for.

Just my $0.02 (from someone who doesn't have cable anyway . . .)

cabbagegirl28

• violinp's my sister :)
« Reply #2166 on: February 07, 2014, 09:19:27 PM »

I get kind of annoyed, actually, at how few options we Americans get when it comes to Olympics coverage.  Sure, I'm happy to watch our own athletes.  I also want to watch athletes from other countries!  Half our coverage is our own team and most of the other half is sappy human interest vignettes about their home lives, though - as much as it may be interesting to find out who has twin boys and who grew up in Brooklyn, it would be more interesting to actually watch world-class athletes compete in the sports they went to the Olympics for.

I totally agree with you, and some of the bad stuff from the London coverage by NBC really ticked me off as well (like not showing the 7/7 tribute). I get that we're America, so of course they're going to tail the US athletes. But like you, Slartibartfast, I want to see a variety of athletes. 

Vita brevis, ars longa

Bethczar

« Reply #2167 on: February 07, 2014, 09:33:18 PM »

I totally agree with you, and some of the bad stuff from the London coverage by NBC really ticked me off as well (like not showing the 7/7 tribute). I get that we're America, so of course they're going to tail the US athletes. But like you, Slartibartfast, I want to see a variety of athletes.
I wouldn't even mind the sappy stuff if they showed some non-Americans' stories. And I'd love to see more about some of the countries that have only one or two athletes at the games.

Yes, Go Team USA, but isn't this a world event?

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #2168 on: February 07, 2014, 09:51:04 PM »
Sorry, but I want Canada to win at hockey just so Team USA doesn't win. :p

I remember going to see the USA vs Canada hockey, there were a lot more cheers for Canada.

Bethczar

« Reply #2169 on: February 07, 2014, 10:18:03 PM »
That's because Canada is awesome. I always like to see them win at hockey. But USA ( or whatever your home country is) for everything else!  ;D

Jocelyn

« Reply #2170 on: February 07, 2014, 10:36:27 PM »
It's not so much of a problem with the Winter Olympics, but I'm always irritated during the Summer Olympics that they don't cover all the sports. Fewer 'human interest' stories, more coverage of events like fencing and equestrian events!

PastryGoddess

« Reply #2171 on: February 07, 2014, 11:46:09 PM »
hmmm, maybe it's because I have a bazillion channels via satellite, but during the London Olympics I managed to see and record most of the sports, not just the more popular ones.  NBC's olympic website had full replays of all of the events. And their satellite channels also carried the lesser known sports. 

I expect the same thing to happen with these olympics.  If I can't watch something live, then I'll record and watch it later.

Coruscation

« Reply #2172 on: February 08, 2014, 01:56:29 AM »
This will be the third Olympics I haven't watched the coverage has been horrible and the TV Guide worse. I just want to watch some gymnastics. Putting Olympics (list of 20 sports including gymnastics) 8am - 12pm doesn't make me want to watch for four hours instead of 15 minutes, it makes me go do something else instead.

CakeEater

« Reply #2173 on: February 08, 2014, 06:09:06 AM »
It's not so much of a problem with the Winter Olympics, but I'm always irritated during the Summer Olympics that they don't cover all the sports. Fewer 'human interest' stories, more coverage of events like fencing and equestrian events!

Yes! Australia is OK at swimming internationally, I get it. But if you watch Olympic coverage, the first 6 days are the back of someone's head swimming up and down the pool. Heats, semi-finals, finals - every stroke of every race.

I want to see the hammer throw!

kherbert05

• Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #2174 on: February 08, 2014, 06:13:30 AM »
My son's high school lost power this morning, and is still continuing the day as close to normal operations as possible.

Yes, it is possible to have a class with no power.

We have 11 rooms without windows 2 because of the addition, 9 because they were built to be "safer"* during a tornado. They just move to the hall or cafeteria. But the health department will shut us down at lunch time because they cannot safely serve lunch. That is after 9:30 (not by much but after) so it counts as . a full day.

*5 of the rooms have exterior walls, and 1 is the science lab so they have to cram everyone into 3 rooms during drills. All the other classrooms have windows and exterior walls - and no interior halls. Halls between the rooms all have a door to the garden and that wall is almost all glass.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future