Author Topic: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People  (Read 300854 times)

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People
« Reply #2205 on: February 09, 2014, 06:02:52 PM »
There's a big difference between coming upon a Viking hoard and a Viking horde.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #2206 on: February 09, 2014, 06:09:32 PM »
I have seen a Viking hoard, I hope never to see the other.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #2207 on: February 09, 2014, 06:13:44 PM »

And if I'd stolen one, I wouldn't want to see the other either.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #2208 on: February 09, 2014, 06:13:49 PM »
I'd love the hoard - as long as there were no dragons around.

But a horde, with or without dragons...nope, I wanna hide.

Which is what I did to that Smashwords publication....
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

BarensMom

« Reply #2209 on: February 09, 2014, 09:44:13 PM »
In my mind:

"Hoard" brings to mind the "Hoarders" and "Hoarders - Buried Alive" series;
"Horde" makes me think of my brothers' family;

Both are very messy and destructive.

cabbageweevil

« Reply #2210 on: February 09, 2014, 09:48:36 PM »
Yes, that was Leningrad that did that. It was first St Petersburg, then Petrograd, then Leningrad and now back to St Petersburg. Stalingrad is now called Volgagrad.

My husband loves to tell this joke: A journalist was interviewing an elderly man in Leningrad.
Where were you born? he's asked. "St. Petersburg."
Where did you grow up? "Petrograd"
Where do you live now? "Leningrad"
Where would you like to live? "St. Petersburg."

TootsNYC -- snap !  See my #2197...

Minmom3

« Reply #2211 on: February 09, 2014, 11:05:37 PM »
Today I was talking with two coworkers: one Australian and one American. We were all discussing the Olympics and the Australian said that he was always a little disappointed that he didn't get to watch his own country's athletes on tv: rather he had to hunt for videos online. Our American coworker was surprised that:

A) Australia has a winter Olympic team (But it's summer there now!)
B) That an Australian wouldn't automatically want to watch all the American competitors (But we're the best!)

We set him straight and he left us with the classic line "Huh, I never thought of that before!"

Just us, or did he think the whole southern hemisphere didn't compete?

AND he's never watched the generally exhaustive opening ceremonies where each and every country competing has athletes walking around the track?  Some teams are gigantic, some teams are teeny, but the LIST of teams is huge.....
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2212 on: February 09, 2014, 11:15:30 PM »
Oh, it can be worse than you thought.  Much worse.  Picture a Viking horde swarming up over the hill toward your monastery.  Got that picture firmly in mind?  What colors are they wearing?

An SCA acquaintance was doing primary research on dyes available to the medieval-era Norse, lichen and other natural dyes.  She used them to dye wool, and was making socks with the result -- lemon yellow and lilac. 

Was that Viking horde wearing dull earth colors, mostly browns and grays?  NOW picture them in lilac and lemon yellow!
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

NyaChan

« Reply #2213 on: February 09, 2014, 11:31:46 PM »
Oh, it can be worse than you thought.  Much worse.  Picture a Viking horde swarming up over the hill toward your monastery.  Got that picture firmly in mind?  What colors are they wearing?

An SCA acquaintance was doing primary research on dyes available to the medieval-era Norse, lichen and other natural dyes.  She used them to dye wool, and was making socks with the result -- lemon yellow and lilac. 

Was that Viking horde wearing dull earth colors, mostly browns and grays?  NOW picture them in lilac and lemon yellow!

hehe That makes me chuckle from my safe spot in history  :D

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #2214 on: February 10, 2014, 02:56:06 AM »
I once had to tell a co-worker that people in the Old Testament weren't Christian- we were all chatting idly in the office. She was flabberghasted and asked me seriously how I knew. I said "because they lived before Christ. How can they have believed in Him if he hadn't been born yet?" She thought and finally "So Adam and Eve weren't Christians?" No. No they weren't.

And yes she is a devout Christian.

Psychopoesie

« Reply #2215 on: February 10, 2014, 03:33:17 AM »
Not sure this fits here but here goes.

I was lined up behind another car at the boom gate at the car park exit. It's one of those car parks where you insert your paid ticket in a slot to make the boom gate rise up to let you through.

The driver in front of me seemed to be having problems. She kept trying to put the ticket in the slot.

I couldn't work out why she was doing this because the boom gate was already in the upright position. I tried to get her attention - shouting out that the gate was up, giving the horn a quick tap but she was pretty focused on the card slot. I ended up getting out of my car to let her know. Probably should have done that first but I really thought she'd just look up and see it.

CakeEater

« Reply #2216 on: February 10, 2014, 03:38:44 AM »
It's not so much of a problem with the Winter Olympics, but I'm always irritated during the Summer Olympics that they don't cover all the sports. Fewer 'human interest' stories, more coverage of events like fencing and equestrian events!

Yes! Australia is OK at swimming internationally, I get it. But if you watch Olympic coverage, the first 6 days are the back of someone's head swimming up and down the pool. Heats, semi-finals, finals - every stroke of every race.

I want to see the hammer throw!

They always give priority to our medal-chance events.  I can guarantee if any of our hammer-throwers made the final, it would get televised.  I don't think its a sport we have excelled at in recent.

Yes, that was my point. Days of it, and little else. I want to see other events, even if my country doesn't stand much of a chance of winning.

Psychopoesie

« Reply #2217 on: February 10, 2014, 03:50:02 AM »
It's not so much of a problem with the Winter Olympics, but I'm always irritated during the Summer Olympics that they don't cover all the sports. Fewer 'human interest' stories, more coverage of events like fencing and equestrian events!

Yes! Australia is OK at swimming internationally, I get it. But if you watch Olympic coverage, the first 6 days are the back of someone's head swimming up and down the pool. Heats, semi-finals, finals - every stroke of every race.

I want to see the hammer throw!

They always give priority to our medal-chance events.  I can guarantee if any of our hammer-throwers made the final, it would get televised.  I don't think its a sport we have excelled at in recent.

Yes, that was my point. Days of it, and little else. I want to see other events, even if my country doesn't stand much of a chance of winning.

+1. It's why I prefer Winter Olympics - we don't have a big enough presence for the telecast to get as skewed as it does for Summer.

oz diva

• The Classics are SO last Century
« Reply #2218 on: February 10, 2014, 05:20:55 AM »
I once had to tell a co-worker that people in the Old Testament weren't Christian- we were all chatting idly in the office. She was flabberghasted and asked me seriously how I knew. I said "because they lived before Christ. How can they have believed in Him if he hadn't been born yet?" She thought and finally "So Adam and Eve weren't Christians?" No. No they weren't.

Does she know that Jesus was a Jew?

Victoria

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2219 on: February 10, 2014, 05:27:45 AM »

Sadly, I am not surprised. My dad was a Baptist preacher and I've known people like this. I admit, it amazes me that people will claim they would die for their faith, yet know so little about it (yes, I consider knowledge of the OT part of it).