Author Topic: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People  (Read 323996 times)

Katana_Geldar

Re: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People
« Reply #2235 on: February 10, 2014, 09:46:53 PM »
I have found that to be the case as well, and not just about religion but other things as well.

On another note, I'm a fan of The Twilight Zone (nothing to do with Stephanie Meyer!) and it's surprising how seminal it is. A lot of things they do on there they do in other works, but The Twilight Zone had them first. And Rod Serling has an eerie presence that's both creepy and comforting.

Remember that film Steel with Hugh Jackman? It was based on a short story by Richard Matheson that was adapted into an episode.

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #2236 on: February 11, 2014, 12:39:53 AM »

Some Xian sects are big on education; others, not so much. Some preachers get their official documents online, instead of going to seminary 4+ yrs (which my dad did).

She was either Lutheran or Methodist so I imagine her pastor/priest person had gone to seminary.

athersgeo

• No one told you when to run
« Reply #2237 on: February 11, 2014, 01:40:02 AM »
Its still limited when Australia's not in the running.  Last night coverage of the teams figure skating was limited to the place-getters.  I've no idea what other countries even made the final, except that apparently not us.  Didn't even see a final scoreboard.

The final only consisted of five teams - so unless they were only showing Russia, Canada and USA you probably were seeing all of it. (and if they were only showing those three, you were only missing Japan and Italy, who were a long, long way back.) Everyone else got cut on Thursday or Friday (I'm not entirely clear on when the first rounds were held).

Psychopoesie

« Reply #2238 on: February 11, 2014, 01:55:07 AM »
They had all 5 competitors for each figure skating team event in the Australian coverage of the free program earlier in the day. However, I noticed that they only had the top 3 place getters of that day's events in the encore telecast that evening (when most people would be watching). Was a bit annoyed because I warned to see all the ice dancers. Part of the point of watching is to see all the competitors and how they stack up against each other in the figure skating.

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #2239 on: February 11, 2014, 06:38:06 AM »
I work at night, and have for several years.  A while back, a group of us went into an empty office to try to catch sight of an eclipse we'd heard was happening that night.  We were all chatting about the eclipse - what, exactly, an eclipse is, etc.  One of the women came out with, ". . . because as the earth revolves around the moon, . . ."  I almost fell over. 

I kept trying to tell her she was mistaken, and that the moon revolves around the earth, which revolves around the sun.  She absolutely insisted that I was the one who was wrong.  Unfortunately, it was before we had internet at work, so I couldn't prove her wrong as easily as if it happened today. 

Actually, she is not really wrong. Physically speaking, the Earth and moon orbit around their combined center of gravity, since both the moon and the Earth are exerting gravitational pull on each other. The center of gravity is closer to the Earth than to the moon, because of its greater mass.

BabyMama

• Jamberry Nail Wraps
« Reply #2240 on: February 11, 2014, 09:33:17 AM »
I have seen a Viking hoard, I hope never to see the other.
Oh, it can be worse than you thought.  Much worse.  Picture a Viking horde swarming up over the hill toward your monastery.  Got that picture firmly in mind?  What colors are they wearing?

An SCA acquaintance was doing primary research on dyes available to the medieval-era Norse, lichen and other natural dyes.  She used them to dye wool, and was making socks with the result -- lemon yellow and lilac. 

Was that Viking horde wearing dull earth colors, mostly browns and grays?  NOW picture them in lilac and lemon yellow!

As a Minnesotan, that's a familiar sight ;)
Ask me about Jamberry Nail Wraps!

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2241 on: February 11, 2014, 10:12:27 AM »
lady_disdain wrote:

"Actually, she is not really wrong. Physically speaking, the Earth and moon orbit around their combined center of gravity, since both the moon and the Earth are exerting gravitational pull on each other. The center of gravity is closer to the Earth than to the moon, because of its greater mass."

The combined center of mass of the Earth and Moon is inside the Earth, so she'd still be stretching the definition of "orbit" way past what most scientists would accept.

Virg

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2242 on: February 11, 2014, 12:02:21 PM »

Some Xian sects are big on education; others, not so much. Some preachers get their official documents online, instead of going to seminary 4+ yrs (which my dad did).

She was either Lutheran or Methodist so I imagine her pastor/priest person had gone to seminary.

Those sects generally have well-educated ministers.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2243 on: February 11, 2014, 12:13:36 PM »

Those sects generally have well-educated ministers.

Absolutely. I think she just got something confused in her brain in early education.

katycoo

« Reply #2244 on: February 11, 2014, 10:47:42 PM »
Its still limited when Australia's not in the running.  Last night coverage of the teams figure skating was limited to the place-getters.  I've no idea what other countries even made the final, except that apparently not us.  Didn't even see a final scoreboard.

The final only consisted of five teams - so unless they were only showing Russia, Canada and USA you probably were seeing all of it. (and if they were only showing those three, you were only missing Japan and Italy, who were a long, long way back.) Everyone else got cut on Thursday or Friday (I'm not entirely clear on when the first rounds were held).

They were only showing Russia, Canada and USA, and even then not everyone.  We saw 2 solo women, 2 solo men and 2 couples - in the evening telecast anyway.

And while you may well be corrrect that Japan and Italy were miles behind, I had no idea of that while watching, which is extremely annoying.  They seriiously never  mentioned either country in any capacity - not even that they weren't doing well.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 10:49:43 PM by katycoo »

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #2245 on: February 11, 2014, 10:58:03 PM »

They were only showing Russia, Canada and USA, and even then not everyone.  We saw 2 solo women, 2 solo men and 2 couples - in the evening telecast anyway.

And while you may well be corrrect that Japan and Italy were miles behind, I had no idea of that while watching, which is extremely annoying.  They seriiously never  mentioned either country in any capacity - not even that they weren't doing well.
You're lucky you're getting any figure skating coverage at all. The last winter Olympics, my country's sports coverage of the figure skating was impressive, several four hour sessions showing all of the main skaters from various countries. This year? Nothing.  >:(

Back on topic: I had another argument with an adult who was insisting AD means After Death, not Anno Domini, except she was insisting that "Anno Domini" is latin for "After Death".
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 11:04:49 PM by WolfWay »
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #2246 on: February 11, 2014, 11:02:48 PM »
This reminds me of a quote, attributed to Miriam "Ma" Ferguson who was governor of Texas in the 1930s (although it's apparently apocryphal), allegedly spoken in reference to bilingualism in Texas schools: “If English was good enough for Jesus Christ, it ought to be good enough for the children of Texas.”

I love that quote whether she said it or not.  ;D

Just today, another mom at our homeschool co-op was showing the kids where the countries around the Mediterranean Sea were, and she pointed out Israel.  She said that she had been tutoring a student who had recently immigrated from Korea, and he said in a sad voice at one point, "Jesus loves Americans more because he came from America."  She was stunned, and apparently pulled out a map and showed him that, "Actually, Jesus came from a place much closer to where you're from!"  Her student was astounded and pretty impressed.  She of course went on to tell him that Jesus loves everybody, and it doesn't matter where you live or where your family is from.  Of course, this was a kid, so it doesn't really count as "an adult should really know this," but I thought it was interesting based on the quote above.

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #2247 on: February 12, 2014, 12:30:35 PM »
Be careful of babies with the Bishop of Bath and Wells. ;)

:D

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #2248 on: February 12, 2014, 12:33:53 PM »
I once had to tell a co-worker that people in the Old Testament weren't Christian- we were all chatting idly in the office. She was flabberghasted and asked me seriously how I knew. I said "because they lived before Christ. How can they have believed in Him if he hadn't been born yet?" She thought and finally "So Adam and Eve weren't Christians?" No. No they weren't.

And yes she is a devout Christian.
Does she know that Jesus was a Jew?

???

This reminds me of the criminally-stupid TV show hostess insisting that "I don't think anything predates Christianity!" Actually, dummy, Jesus predates Christianity!

I once had someone insist to me that Judaism was an offshoot of Catholicism.

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2249 on: February 12, 2014, 01:32:41 PM »
Back on topic: I had another argument with an adult who was insisting AD means After Death, not Anno Domini, except she was insisting that "Anno Domini" is latin for "After Death".

I've heard that one a lot. I think it's a pretty common misconception, which at least kind of makes sense... same initials, translation fuzziness, etc.. BC = Before Christ, AD must be some kind of "After Christ," right?

What gets me is when people argue/insist that they're right, instead of saying, "Really? I always thought X. Is that not so? Can we look it up?"
~Lynn2000