Author Topic: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People  (Read 291113 times)

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
Re: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People
« Reply #2250 on: February 12, 2014, 02:14:58 PM »
Back on topic: I had another argument with an adult who was insisting AD means After Death, not Anno Domini, except she was insisting that "Anno Domini" is latin for "After Death".

I've heard that one a lot. I think it's a pretty common misconception, which at least kind of makes sense... same initials, translation fuzziness, etc.. BC = Before Christ, AD must be some kind of "After Christ," right?

What gets me is when people argue/insist that they're right, instead of saying, "Really? I always thought X. Is that not so? Can we look it up?"
If BC means "Before Christ" and AD means "After Death" how do these people account for the roughly 33 years in between?  Did they somehow not count? 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #2251 on: February 12, 2014, 02:18:11 PM »
Back on topic: I had another argument with an adult who was insisting AD means After Death, not Anno Domini, except she was insisting that "Anno Domini" is latin for "After Death".

I've heard that one a lot. I think it's a pretty common misconception, which at least kind of makes sense... same initials, translation fuzziness, etc.. BC = Before Christ, AD must be some kind of "After Christ," right?

What gets me is when people argue/insist that they're right, instead of saying, "Really? I always thought X. Is that not so? Can we look it up?"
If BC means "Before Christ" and AD means "After Death" how do these people account for the roughly 33 years in between?  Did they somehow not count?

I thought that. For years. I swear a teacher or some kind of adult explained it to me that way. And it really didn't come up in my day to day life, so I just went on living with this idea. Even now I have to think "No, no, that's not right".

Onyx_TKD

« Reply #2252 on: February 12, 2014, 02:24:34 PM »

Maybe Christ was stillborn (thus no gap between BC and AD) and subsequently accomplished all of his famous deeds as a wee little zombie. If he was already undead, that would explain why crucifixion and getting stuck in a tomb only slowed him down for a few days.  ;D

Lynn2000

« Reply #2253 on: February 12, 2014, 02:29:22 PM »

Well, that's certainly a good point  ;D but only if you have cause to think about it that deeply. Most of the time the context is, a civilization at 600 BC or the Romans in Britain at 14 AD and you don't really have to think about whether there's a gap--there's only a few contexts where you're learning about stuff that happened just before and just after.
~Lynn2000

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #2254 on: February 12, 2014, 03:39:47 PM »
There's also CE and BCE to confuse you.

And glad someone else watches Blackadder!

oz diva

• The Classics are SO last Century
« Reply #2255 on: February 12, 2014, 04:49:24 PM »
Here's a tip. Don't think that you can use dish washing detergent in a dishwasher. In his defense the employee in question had never owned a dishwasher, but the foamy mess was quite impressive.

Victoria

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #2256 on: February 12, 2014, 05:36:24 PM »
There's also CE and BCE to confuse you.

And glad someone else watches Blackadder!

It's one of my favourite programmes ever XD

Lynn2000

« Reply #2257 on: February 12, 2014, 05:42:50 PM »
Here's a tip. Don't think that you can use dish washing detergent in a dishwasher. In his defense the employee in question had never owned a dishwasher, but the foamy mess was quite impressive.

Ah yes... I know that only because I read it somewhere. Possibly, in the "Apartments FAQs" provided by my landlord, who had a vested interest in the tenants NOT making a foamy mess in their apartments. Yes, I'm one of those people who read the "Apartments FAQs," LOL!
~Lynn2000

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #2258 on: February 12, 2014, 05:53:38 PM »
My mother was very clear about which soap to use in the dishwasher. Very, very clear. I'm thinking there might be an untold story...

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #2259 on: February 12, 2014, 06:24:43 PM »
My mother was very clear about which soap to use in the dishwasher. Very, very clear. I'm thinking there might be an untold story...

I think everyone should do it at least once.  You know, to get it out of your system so you never do it again. 

No?  That was my story and I'm sticking to it

perpetua

« Reply #2260 on: February 12, 2014, 06:27:57 PM »

I think everyone should do it at least once.  You know, to get it out of your system so you never do it again. 

Mine too. On the plus side, the floor was lovely and clean afterwards... ::)

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #2261 on: February 12, 2014, 06:56:01 PM »

yeee-aah...so was the ceiling and floor below

GreenHall

« Reply #2262 on: February 12, 2014, 10:01:10 PM »

yeee-aah...so was the ceiling and floor below

My version isn't quite as extreme as others sound, but that might be because I was just "de-funking" the dishwasher with bleach, and no other washing agents were involved.  Still wound up with a very wet floor.  But it was disinfected too :)

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2263 on: February 12, 2014, 10:27:39 PM »

My dad told me this when I was a kid, and I think I decided those years just weren't used in the counting at all.

katycoo

« Reply #2264 on: February 12, 2014, 11:10:31 PM »

I remmeber being taught thi is a semi-kind of way.

We were taught that AD means Anno Domini etc etc, and that lots of people use the words "After Death" as a way to remember the time reference.  We were expressly taught that the AD date marker didn't match up with the supposed date of death because the 33 years of Jesus life causes a hiccup, but that it was nearish enough to use as a rough guide.