Author Topic: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People  (Read 326025 times)

lowspark

Re: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People
« Reply #2325 on: February 18, 2014, 10:57:27 AM »
Yup. I'm a solicitor in the UK, and I go to court a fair bit, often appearing where there is a barrister appearing for the other party. As I deal with family cases, no-one (barristers or solicitors) wears wigs or gowns (nor does the Judge)
The main difference here  is that solicitors will deal with the case from the beginning, dealing with the client, preparing the documenta, working out what is and isn't relevant etc, before giving the barrister a set of papers and instructions to work from. Here in the UK the two professions are moving closer together - barristers can (in some circumstances) accept instructions directly from lay clients, and solicitor can obtain higher courts rights of audience (it used to be that solicitors could not appear in the Crown Court (Criminal) which was a little odd as we've always been able to appear in the County Court (Civil)

All this talk of barristers and wigs brings to mind the movie, "Witness for the Prosecution." If you haven't seen it, do.
Not much of a spoiler because this happens at the beginning of the movie but when Charles Laughton returns to his office after a long hospital stay, he gets so excited at seeing his wig again. It's a pretty cute moment.

When they are in court he and the prosecutor keep referring to each other as "learned", pronouncing both syllables. It cracks me up because it's sort passive-aggressive or sarcastic or whatever, but it's also because they do, in fact, have great respect for each other.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0051201/?ref_=nv_sr_1
It's an oldie but a goodie, based on an Agatha Christie short story. At the end of the film they admonish the audience to please not reveal the ending to others who haven't seen it.

lowspark

« Reply #2326 on: February 18, 2014, 11:02:08 AM »
I really hate that idea that life must have been better/more natural/etc "way back when".  For all the issues our current day has, I'm really enamored with modern heating/cooling systems, modern plumbing, worldwide shipping so I can have veggies, fruits and meats out of season, and an educational system that allows women to be taught.   :P

This is exactly what made me hate that movie, Kate & Leopold. Meg Ryan played an educated woman with a successful career and she gave it all up for some guy she hardly knew (ok I can get over that) but in addition, she had to go live in the 19th century!! No more career for her, in addition to which, instead of valuing her education they probably put her to work scrubbing floors and polishing silver. Ok, he was rich, maybe she hung out with the women of society, although being a complete stranger from outta nowhere, I kinda doubt she'd be accepted.

lowspark

« Reply #2327 on: February 18, 2014, 11:04:22 AM »
I really hate that idea that life must have been better/more natural/etc "way back when".  For all the issues our current day has, I'm really enamored with modern heating/cooling systems, modern plumbing, worldwide shipping so I can have veggies, fruits and meats out of season, and an educational system that allows women to be taught.   :P
POD
My DAD's stories of Houston before air conditioning make my skin crawl. I grew up using the same slat beds he and Aunt (Twin beds I had both of them) had. My grandfather made them. He would tell me about untucking the foot of the bed because 1/2 way through the night he would switch foot to head to find a place not soaked with sweat. (I had new mattresses jut the frame was the same) They would also sneak off to swim in the bayous (shutter) because the pools were shut down in August due to the fear/believe that polio was being spread in the pools.

Sort of off topic now... but I grew up in Houston and we didn't have air conditioning in my elementary school till I was in third grade ~1967. It wasn't all that big a deal at the time, although it did make a big impression on me that we finally had a/c so we must have been sweating before that!

lowspark

« Reply #2328 on: February 18, 2014, 11:08:57 AM »
Paper personal hygiene product. Just sayin'. ::)

No one has yet said anything about modern medicine.  I had an ailment on my teens that would have killed me if I had lived in my Grandparents' generation.

I am very happy to live now, if only for the medical advancements we've had. Last year I had a very bad ankle break; I broke multiple bones and required 2 surgeries plus lots of therapy. Imagine that 100+ yrs ago...I would've been "crippled" (as they'd have called it, wanting to be historically accurate) for life!  :o
If it was a compound fracture, you would certainly have been crippled or dead.  "Treatment" in those days usually meant amputation, and sterilization of the operating site and tools would have been hit or miss. Older doctors tended to think that antisepsis was sheer nonsense -- how could invisible bugs cause illness?!?

I would be dead of appendicitis at 24, leaving behind a toddler and an infant.  DD1 would have died at 11, also appendicitis.  Grandson2 would have been severely brain-damaged at birth, or stillborn.  (Prolapsed umbilical cord = emergency C-section.)  DH would have died at 49, of a widowmaker heart attack.

OK, sorry, bringing up another movie.
But I just watched Hysteria, http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1435513/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1 which mentions this very thing toward the beginning of the movie. It's horrifying to see the methods they used which deliberately kept things dirty. Ewww.
If you're interested, this movie happens to be about the invention of the, ahem, vibrator, and is actually pretty entertaining.

lowspark

« Reply #2329 on: February 18, 2014, 11:10:50 AM »

Yeah, my husband has studied a lot of history. Someone asked him what era he wanted to live in.

He said, "This one, when we have penicillin and my daughter can go to college and own property."

My father used to say that he never gave women's rights much thought either way till he had three daughters. Of course, he wanted the best for us so yeah, darn right women should have equal rights and opportunities!  :D

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2330 on: February 18, 2014, 11:12:10 AM »
POD
My DAD's stories of Houston before air conditioning make my skin crawl. I grew up using the same slat beds he and Aunt (Twin beds I had both of them) had. My grandfather made them. He would tell me about untucking the foot of the bed because 1/2 way through the night he would switch foot to head to find a place not soaked with sweat. (I had new mattresses jut the frame was the same) They would also sneak off to swim in the bayous (shutter) because the pools were shut down in August due to the fear/believe that polio was being spread in the pools.

Sort of off topic now... but I grew up in Houston and we didn't have air conditioning in my elementary school till I was in third grade ~1967. It wasn't all that big a deal at the time, although it did make a big impression on me that we finally had a/c so we must have been sweating before that!

AC was installed at my high school tone year after I graduated, a.k.a. in 1996. And for years there was a rule banning shorts after August or before June, in a climate where there are often really hot days in September and May. Bleurgh!

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #2331 on: February 18, 2014, 11:46:36 AM »

No one has yet said anything about modern medicine.  I had an ailment on my teens that would have killed me if I had lived in my Grandparents' generation.

I am very happy to live now, if only for the medical advancements we've had. Last year I had a very bad ankle break; I broke multiple bones and required 2 surgeries plus lots of therapy. Imagine that 100+ yrs ago...I would've been "crippled" (as they'd have called it, wanting to be historically accurate) for life!  :o
If it was a compound fracture, you would certainly have been crippled or dead.  "Treatment" in those days usually meant amputation, and sterilization of the operating site and tools would have been hit or miss. Older doctors tended to think that antisepsis was sheer nonsense -- how could invisible bugs cause illness?!?

I would be dead of appendicitis at 24, leaving behind a toddler and an infant.  DD1 would have died at 11, also appendicitis.  Grandson2 would have been severely brain-damaged at birth, or stillborn.  (Prolapsed umbilical cord = emergency C-section.)  DH would have died at 49, of a widowmaker heart attack.

OK, sorry, bringing up another movie.
But I just watched Hysteria, http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1435513/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1 which mentions this very thing toward the beginning of the movie. It's horrifying to see the methods they used which deliberately kept things dirty. Ewww.
If you're interested, this movie happens to be about the invention of the, ahem, vibrator, and is actually pretty entertaining.

There was a period in time when a doctor was known to be a good doctor with a lot of patients...because he was wearing the same coat to all of them and it would be splashed with whatever body fluids and solids he'd dealt with.  Infectious? He wasn't washing his hands, either - except possibly to eat...

Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2332 on: February 18, 2014, 12:27:25 PM »

Not to mention bloody rags every month.  My mother told me about having to wash those and how thrilled she was when she bought her first box of Modess in America.

Both my late MIL and my mom have talked about this. They had to wash the rags and hang them on the clothesline!  :o Fast-forward to the 1970s, when I 'became a woman,' and mom bought me the pads that required a belt. She said the others were too expensive. I loathed those things!

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2333 on: February 18, 2014, 12:28:58 PM »
POD

My X-DH grew up in FL. His schools didn't have AC at all - at least while he was attending them. I can't imagine dealing with that. The heat/humidity down there can be brutal! Ironically, his jr. high was named after the man who invented AC!  :)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2334 on: February 18, 2014, 12:30:29 PM »
Fast-forward to the 1970s, when I 'became a woman,' and mom bought me the pads that required a belt. She said the others were too expensive. I loathed those things!

Mom got those for me, too, in the late 70's, early 80's.  They were fantastic for overnight use because they didn't move around.  I used the regular kind during the day.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #2335 on: February 18, 2014, 12:44:32 PM »
On the travel board where I hang out, there was a discussion of first aid for wounds when you are in the middle of nowhere. One person posted, quite seriously, that the best treatment was to rub the wound with soil, as local dirt would be full of bacteria & fungi that produce antibiotics against local bad germs.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #2336 on: February 18, 2014, 12:48:20 PM »
On the travel board where I hang out, there was a discussion of first aid for wounds when you are in the middle of nowhere. One person posted, quite seriously, that the best treatment was to rub the wound with soil, as local dirt would be full of bacteria & fungi that produce antibiotics against local bad germs.

Like what, anthrax?  Yuck.

Onyx_TKD

« Reply #2337 on: February 18, 2014, 12:59:27 PM »

If that were the case, how exactly did he think the "local bad germs" would get into the wound unaccompanied by the local germ-fighting bacteria and fungi? Did the bad germs jump like fleas?  ???

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2338 on: February 18, 2014, 01:35:34 PM »

Some of this should go in the Grossout thread, but, well, here it goes:

My MIL, farmgirl in northern Indiana in the early 20th century, said the best treatment for bee stings or horsefly bites was fresh cow manure. Born a preemie and kept in a breadpan on the stove for a bit,  thought she had a chest cold when in high school & walked the 3 miles to school and back daily. In the 1930s, she found out she had TB scars on her lungs. She was the only one to graduate from college and teach, so supported her 5 siblings and families during the Great Depression along with the food the farms provided. She put up with me for nearly 40 years. She live to 96 and passed away, 'cause, well she was old and everything was giving out.

Who can survive all of that? Some did, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Re women's sanitary care: I had Kotex, but disposable diapers were only for traveling when my kids were born. If  I could slosh diapers in the toilet for 5 years, I guess it wouldn't be that hard to wash sanitary rags if we had to.

I am so glad I live now!

Frog24

« Reply #2339 on: February 18, 2014, 01:41:00 PM »
My friend told me once that as a girl, she told her mother: "I wish I lived in the 1800s.  I'd have those pretty poofy gowns, and have servants, and would be a lady."  Her mother looked at her and said: "Sweetie, that's not the lineage you come from.  You'd be working the fields barefoot in a potato sack."