News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• August 17, 2017, 05:02:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People  (Read 1130159 times)

Jones

Re: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People
« Reply #2340 on: February 18, 2014, 10:46:08 PM »
Recently read a book called "Austenland" for my bookclub. Modern people living on vacation, just like that.
A real desire to believe all the good you can of others and to make others as comfortable as you can will solve most of the problems. CS Lewis

oz diva

• The Classics are SO last Century
« Reply #2341 on: February 18, 2014, 11:18:13 PM »
I hope it's not like West World. That is a scary movie.

Victoria

Fliss

• Australia - the land that time forgot.
« Reply #2342 on: February 18, 2014, 11:46:03 PM »

Can I go back in time with the knowledge I have now? Because I think I could happily survive in wild Australia.

Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.

oz diva

« Reply #2343 on: February 19, 2014, 12:31:06 AM »

Can I go back in time with the knowledge I have now? Because I think I could happily survive in wild Australia.
Really, do you know enough about bush tucker to survive?

Victoria

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #2344 on: February 19, 2014, 12:49:45 AM »

Bush tucker? Is that wild food?
Nothing to see here.

oz diva

« Reply #2345 on: February 19, 2014, 12:53:02 AM »
Yes, it's what we call food that the aborigines survive on. You've got to know what is edible and what's not. Obviously there is food out there, but it's a pretty harsh environment.

Victoria

Fliss

« Reply #2346 on: February 19, 2014, 01:01:20 AM »

Yep. It can be tough, but there are 'goldilocks areas', temperate zones where life was pretty good.
Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.

cabbageweevil

« Reply #2347 on: February 19, 2014, 02:02:03 AM »
MP, KG, Jones -- I'm afraid there's no way that I would be a visitor to any of the outfits which you mention, even if folk tried to pay me to participate.  I just cannot handle Jane Austen: find her books unreadable.  I've tried, numerous times -- with there being so many people who praise her work to the skies -- and I've never been able to get beyond about page 20 in any of her novels.

Psychopoesie

« Reply #2348 on: February 19, 2014, 02:05:46 AM »

Yep. It can be tough, but there are 'goldilocks areas', temperate zones where life was pretty good.

Maybe so but I'm guessing other people where already there first and may not have been too thrilled to share with a stranger.

Fliss

« Reply #2349 on: February 19, 2014, 02:30:49 AM »

Maybe so but I'm guessing other people where already there first and may not have been too thrilled to share with a stranger.

That's . . . a topic for discussion in another area. There is some dispute over who was actually here first.

As for me, I have no interest in having contact with anyone else if I could go back. I would be happy to just be me. And as Oz was very sparsely populated, being alone wouldn't be a problem.

Psychopoesie

« Reply #2350 on: February 19, 2014, 03:08:19 AM »

That's . . . a topic for discussion in another area. There is some dispute over who was actually here first.

As for me, I have no interest in having contact with anyone else if I could go back. I would be happy to just be me. And as Oz was very sparsely populated, being alone wouldn't be a problem.

I hadn't heard of a dispute. Maybe because I was referring to the first Australians who settled here (aboriginal Australians) ages ago not about which European or Asian explorer/traders first spotted the place.

Not wanting to start a debate either. Just puzzled.

I reckon if you want to be absolutely sure you were completely alone, you may want to time travel a fair way back. Only guessing but would have thought the goldilocks areas would tend to get settled/claimed as part of a territory fairly quickly, possibly by more than one group.

Fliss

« Reply #2351 on: February 19, 2014, 03:47:19 AM »

Oh, the dispute isn't about which Europeans first spotted/settled the place -- it is about who in the Aboriginal peoples was here first. The variations are between 3 - 5 movements into Oz, but there's also a school of thought that says that people may have left, not come here, based on the lack of water travel.

And Aboriginals were hunter/gatherer tribes that didn't have settlements, because of the lack of domesticate livestock and no planted crops. Essentially, they were what you get before settlements. So as long as I stay away from migration routes, I'd be unnoticed.

Psychopoesie

« Reply #2352 on: February 19, 2014, 04:17:57 AM »

Oh, the dispute isn't about which Europeans first spotted/settled the place -- it is about who in the Aboriginal peoples was here first. The variations are between 3 - 5 movements into Oz, but there's also a school of thought that says that people may have left, not come here, based on the lack of water travel.

And Aboriginals were hunter/gatherer tribes that didn't have settlements, because of the lack of domesticate livestock and no planted crops. Essentially, they were what you get before settlements. So as long as I stay away from migration routes, I'd be unnoticed.

A dispute about how the migration happened makes more sense. Thought you were saying Aboriginals didn't get here first.

And yes, I do realise Aboriginals were nomadic hunter gatherers.  :) I always figured that the routes they travelled were often about following resources, like meeting up to feast on the bogong moths when they arrived in the Canberra region each year.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #2353 on: February 19, 2014, 05:12:36 AM »
Housemate, bless her little cotton socks, believes every chain email that goes around.  I used to reply with the Snopes link, but I don't even bother these days unless she asks about whether I got it or not.

Yesterday she sent me the 'egg whites are miracle cures for burns!!!!!!!' one.  Sigh.

Guess I better not burn myself at home or she'll be making an omolette on me.   ::)

Ha!  My mom sent that to me the other day.  All I could think was "Gee, mom...did you forget that I'm allergic?"  ??? I can't imagine how much worse that would make my skin if I applied it to a burn.  Serious burn plus hives...wowsers.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #2354 on: February 19, 2014, 05:42:05 AM »
I just had to explain to somebody that the Bible was not, in fact, originally written in English, and that, yes, even her beloved King James' Version was a translation.

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice