Author Topic: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People  (Read 307568 times)

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
Re: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People
« Reply #2340 on: February 18, 2014, 05:59:54 PM »
Fast-forward to the 1970s, when I 'became a woman,' and mom bought me the pads that required a belt. She said the others were too expensive. I loathed those things!

Mom got those for me, too, in the late 70's, early 80's.  They were fantastic for overnight use because they didn't move around.  I used the regular kind during the day.

I was not allowed to use tampons while I lived at home...I wore those things all the time....they may not have moved around at night - but they would twist sideways or even upside down during the day while you were walking around school, sitting down, standing up, and bending over to put your books under your desk or get them out....

I didn't wear them again until after childbirth - when tampons are not allowed for medical reasons.  I didn't miss them...
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

katycoo

« Reply #2341 on: February 18, 2014, 06:41:25 PM »
When they are in court he and the prosecutor keep referring to each other as "learned", pronouncing both syllables. It cracks me up because it's sort passive-aggressive or sarcastic or whatever, but it's also because they do, in fact, have great respect for each other.

2 interesting facts for you.

1. Professionals at the bar table refer to each other as their "friend" if the person being referred to is a solicitor, and their "learned friend" if that person is a barrister.

2. For some reason, it is always pronounced "learn-ed" in this context.  Its not PA or sarcastic at all.  Its just how its done.

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
« Reply #2342 on: February 18, 2014, 07:10:18 PM »
On the travel board where I hang out, there was a discussion of first aid for wounds when you are in the middle of nowhere. One person posted, quite seriously, that the best treatment was to rub the wound with soil, as local dirt would be full of bacteria & fungi that produce antibiotics against local bad germs.

Some of this should go in the Grossout thread, but, well, here it goes:

My MIL, farmgirl in northern Indiana in the early 20th century, said the best treatment for bee stings or horsefly bites was fresh cow manure. Born a preemie and kept in a breadpan on the stove for a bit,  thought she had a chest cold when in high school & walked the 3 miles to school and back daily. In the 1930s, she found out she had TB scars on her lungs. She was the only one to graduate from college and teach, so supported her 5 siblings and families during the Great Depression along with the food the farms provided. She put up with me for nearly 40 years. She live to 96 and passed away, 'cause, well she was old and everything was giving out.

Who can survive all of that? Some did, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Re women's sanitary care: I had Kotex, but disposable diapers were only for traveling when my kids were born. If  I could slosh diapers in the toilet for 5 years, I guess it wouldn't be that hard to wash sanitary rags if we had to.

I am so glad I live now!

I loved cloth diapers when my cousins lived with us (13 years ago aprox. Not long at all)

Because if I used the cloth then the disposables would last way longer, which meant more money for the things I wanted. (Mostly pens. Occasionally yarn. Lol) I didn't mind swishing them too much but I potty trained one cousin by telling him 3 was old enough to use the toilet and he's better figure it out or save his "deposits" for someone else's 'shift' because he could change himself for all I cared.

He never had a #2 around me again, even if someone else was technically responsible for his diapers at the time. He didn't "fully" train until 1st fade when the other kids started taunting him.

And Always Infinity pads are heavenly. I do NOT want to live in an era without them. I'm also fond of ibuprofen and my precious iPhone.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/Sassycelticmoon
<a href="http://knitmeter.com/" title="Get Your Own KnitMeter">" border="0[/url]

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #2343 on: February 18, 2014, 07:32:08 PM »
Midol, acne treatments that work, and a few of the other "modern miracles" already listed.  Good dentistry.  VorGuy is having three teeth pulled as soon as an infection gets cleared up...add insurance to help with medical and dental treatment costs to the list....
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #2344 on: February 18, 2014, 08:55:44 PM »
Housemate, bless her little cotton socks, believes every chain email that goes around.  I used to reply with the Snopes link, but I don't even bother these days unless she asks about whether I got it or not.

Yesterday she sent me the 'egg whites are miracle cures for burns!!!!!!!' one.  Sigh.

Guess I better not burn myself at home or she'll be making an omolette on me.   ::)

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #2345 on: February 18, 2014, 11:03:49 PM »
I've had fantasies a time or two about creating a "Jane Austen amusement park."  It would be everything that is fun and inauthentic about Jane Austen books.  In other words, everybody would rent a lovely little townhouse decorated in the Georgian/Regency style, and wear the clothes, and ride in carriages, and there would be balls and musical evenings and card parties, etc.  But you'd also have real bathrooms, heating, and people would bathe regularly, and the "servants" would actually bring the dinner to you from a central dining hall, rather than cook it in house.  All the fun of playing Elizabeth Bennet without any of the negatives, like lack of women's rights, medical care, and toilets.  :)

Jones

« Reply #2347 on: February 18, 2014, 11:46:08 PM »
Recently read a book called "Austenland" for my bookclub. Modern people living on vacation, just like that.

oz diva

• The Classics are SO last Century
« Reply #2348 on: February 19, 2014, 12:18:13 AM »
I hope it's not like West World. That is a scary movie.

Victoria

Fliss

• Australia - the land that time forgot.
« Reply #2349 on: February 19, 2014, 12:46:03 AM »

Can I go back in time with the knowledge I have now? Because I think I could happily survive in wild Australia.

Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.

oz diva

« Reply #2350 on: February 19, 2014, 01:31:06 AM »

Can I go back in time with the knowledge I have now? Because I think I could happily survive in wild Australia.
Really, do you know enough about bush tucker to survive?

Victoria

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #2351 on: February 19, 2014, 01:49:45 AM »

Bush tucker? Is that wild food?

oz diva

« Reply #2352 on: February 19, 2014, 01:53:02 AM »
Yes, it's what we call food that the aborigines survive on. You've got to know what is edible and what's not. Obviously there is food out there, but it's a pretty harsh environment.

Victoria

Fliss

• Australia - the land that time forgot.
« Reply #2353 on: February 19, 2014, 02:01:20 AM »

Bush tucker? Is that wild food?

Yep. It can be tough, but there are 'goldilocks areas', temperate zones where life was pretty good.
Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.

cabbageweevil

« Reply #2354 on: February 19, 2014, 03:02:03 AM »
MP, KG, Jones -- I'm afraid there's no way that I would be a visitor to any of the outfits which you mention, even if folk tried to pay me to participate.  I just cannot handle Jane Austen: find her books unreadable.  I've tried, numerous times -- with there being so many people who praise her work to the skies -- and I've never been able to get beyond about page 20 in any of her novels.