Author Topic: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People  (Read 332267 times)

Psychopoesie

Re: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People
« Reply #2355 on: February 19, 2014, 03:05:46 AM »

Can I go back in time with the knowledge I have now? Because I think I could happily survive in wild Australia.
Really, do you know enough about bush tucker to survive?

Bush tucker? Is that wild food?

Yep. It can be tough, but there are 'goldilocks areas', temperate zones where life was pretty good.

Maybe so but I'm guessing other people where already there first and may not have been too thrilled to share with a stranger.

Fliss

• Australia - the land that time forgot.
« Reply #2356 on: February 19, 2014, 03:30:49 AM »

Yep. It can be tough, but there are 'goldilocks areas', temperate zones where life was pretty good.

Maybe so but I'm guessing other people where already there first and may not have been too thrilled to share with a stranger.

That's . . . a topic for discussion in another area. There is some dispute over who was actually here first.

As for me, I have no interest in having contact with anyone else if I could go back. I would be happy to just be me. And as Oz was very sparsely populated, being alone wouldn't be a problem.
Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.

Psychopoesie

« Reply #2357 on: February 19, 2014, 04:08:19 AM »

That's . . . a topic for discussion in another area. There is some dispute over who was actually here first.

As for me, I have no interest in having contact with anyone else if I could go back. I would be happy to just be me. And as Oz was very sparsely populated, being alone wouldn't be a problem.

I hadn't heard of a dispute. Maybe because I was referring to the first Australians who settled here (aboriginal Australians) ages ago not about which European or Asian explorer/traders first spotted the place.

Not wanting to start a debate either. Just puzzled.

I reckon if you want to be absolutely sure you were completely alone, you may want to time travel a fair way back. Only guessing but would have thought the goldilocks areas would tend to get settled/claimed as part of a territory fairly quickly, possibly by more than one group.

Fliss

• Australia - the land that time forgot.
« Reply #2358 on: February 19, 2014, 04:47:19 AM »

Oh, the dispute isn't about which Europeans first spotted/settled the place -- it is about who in the Aboriginal peoples was here first. The variations are between 3 - 5 movements into Oz, but there's also a school of thought that says that people may have left, not come here, based on the lack of water travel.

And Aboriginals were hunter/gatherer tribes that didn't have settlements, because of the lack of domesticate livestock and no planted crops. Essentially, they were what you get before settlements. So as long as I stay away from migration routes, I'd be unnoticed.
Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.

Psychopoesie

« Reply #2359 on: February 19, 2014, 05:17:57 AM »

Oh, the dispute isn't about which Europeans first spotted/settled the place -- it is about who in the Aboriginal peoples was here first. The variations are between 3 - 5 movements into Oz, but there's also a school of thought that says that people may have left, not come here, based on the lack of water travel.

And Aboriginals were hunter/gatherer tribes that didn't have settlements, because of the lack of domesticate livestock and no planted crops. Essentially, they were what you get before settlements. So as long as I stay away from migration routes, I'd be unnoticed.

A dispute about how the migration happened makes more sense. Thought you were saying Aboriginals didn't get here first.

And yes, I do realise Aboriginals were nomadic hunter gatherers.  :) I always figured that the routes they travelled were often about following resources, like meeting up to feast on the bogong moths when they arrived in the Canberra region each year.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #2360 on: February 19, 2014, 06:12:36 AM »
Housemate, bless her little cotton socks, believes every chain email that goes around.  I used to reply with the Snopes link, but I don't even bother these days unless she asks about whether I got it or not.

Yesterday she sent me the 'egg whites are miracle cures for burns!!!!!!!' one.  Sigh.

Guess I better not burn myself at home or she'll be making an omolette on me.   ::)

Ha!  My mom sent that to me the other day.  All I could think was "Gee, mom...did you forget that I'm allergic?"  ??? I can't imagine how much worse that would make my skin if I applied it to a burn.  Serious burn plus hives...wowsers.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #2361 on: February 19, 2014, 06:42:05 AM »
I just had to explain to somebody that the Bible was not, in fact, originally written in English, and that, yes, even her beloved King James' Version was a translation.

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

oz diva

• The Classics are SO last Century
« Reply #2362 on: February 19, 2014, 06:43:34 AM »

I have absolutely never heard of 'goldilocks' areas and what does that even mean?

As to who settled here first, what has that got to do with surviving in the outback, or anywhere, actually?

For a really interesting insight to the Dreamtime (the mythical past) watch Ten Canoes, set approx 1000 years and maybe 10,000 years ago. Life was pretty brutal.

Victoria

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #2363 on: February 19, 2014, 06:47:28 AM »
I have absolutely never heard of 'goldilocks' areas and what does that even mean?

As in the fairy tale, it is neither too hot nor too cold, but just right.

Jones

« Reply #2364 on: February 19, 2014, 07:59:21 AM »
MP, KG, Jones -- I'm afraid there's no way that I would be a visitor to any of the outfits which you mention, even if folk tried to pay me to participate.  I just cannot handle Jane Austen: find her books unreadable.  I've tried, numerous times -- with there being so many people who praise her work to the skies -- and I've never been able to get beyond about page 20 in any of her novels.
I can't stand them either, had to switch mid month once in AP English because I wasn't going to finish the Austen book I had chosen for that month's study. if it hadn't been a book club book I wouldn't have read the modern version anyway, so it's not the old fashioned English, I maintain it's the stories somehow.

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2365 on: February 19, 2014, 08:09:26 AM »

As in the fairy tale, it is neither too hot nor too cold, but just right.

I've heard it more for planets than on our planet, but same concept. If you're looking for habitable planets, you have to look in the Goldilocks zone of not too hot (all water is steam) and not too cold (all water is ice). In that zone, you might find something habitable, like Earth. :)

lowspark

« Reply #2366 on: February 19, 2014, 09:11:23 AM »
When they are in court he and the prosecutor keep referring to each other as "learned", pronouncing both syllables. It cracks me up because it's sort passive-aggressive or sarcastic or whatever, but it's also because they do, in fact, have great respect for each other.

2 interesting facts for you.

1. Professionals at the bar table refer to each other as their "friend" if the person being referred to is a solicitor, and their "learned friend" if that person is a barrister.

2. For some reason, it is always pronounced "learn-ed" in this context.  Its not PA or sarcastic at all.  Its just how its done.

Oh! I just assumed it was sort of sarcastic because, well, because their tone sort of sounded that way in the movie. Probably just my interpretation. But also because Charles Laughton plays a character that is constantly spewing out sarcasm. In a funny way of course. I mean, I love that movie and Laughton's character, while gruff and sarcastic and seemingly intolerant is also incredibly smart and funny. It's one of those movies where all the characters are very well played and the plot is compelling.

Have you seen it?

lowspark

« Reply #2367 on: February 19, 2014, 09:23:54 AM »

Can I go back in time with the knowledge I have now? Because I think I could happily survive in wild Australia.

This actually reminds me of a Twilight Zone episode where a successful business man goes back in time with a plan to buy some oil rich land for a very cheap price, the idea being that he knows there's oil there but the people at that time didn't. Problem is that he can't actually get the oil because the drills he needs haven't been invented yet.

My point (and what I think is the point of that show) is that it might sound like a good idea to go back in time with today's knowledge, but there are bound to be ramifications one never thinks of. Interesting to speculate about though!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Of_Late_I_Think_of_Cliffordville

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2368 on: February 19, 2014, 11:26:22 AM »

This actually reminds me of a Twilight Zone episode where a successful business man goes back in time with a plan to buy some oil rich land for a very cheap price, the idea being that he knows there's oil there but the people at that time didn't. Problem is that he can't actually get the oil because the drills he needs haven't been invented yet.

My point (and what I think is the point of that show) is that it might sound like a good idea to go back in time with today's knowledge, but there are bound to be ramifications one never thinks of. Interesting to speculate about though!

Yeah, but if you could go back and forth between then and now, you could, say, buy a bunch of Microsoft shares at their initial public offering, or some other stock that was dirt cheap at the IPO.  Bring them forward and sell them.  Or do the same for gold coins or something like that. 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

lowspark

« Reply #2369 on: February 19, 2014, 11:33:48 AM »

Yeah, but if you could go back and forth between then and now, you could, say, buy a bunch of Microsoft shares at their initial public offering, or some other stock that was dirt cheap at the IPO.  Bring them forward and sell them.  Or do the same for gold coins or something like that. 

Oh yeah, sure. Go back to 1929 after the stock market crashed and buy up some incredibly cheap stock of companies that are still around today, then jump back to today and presto! you're rich!

But is it that simple? I dunno, maybe it is. But you gotta get money -- cash that was legal tender at the time. You have to figure out how to put the stock in your name even though you weren't born yet. Etc. It just seems like it's one of those kinds of things that sounds so simple but in execution, there are just bound to be things you didn't think of before taking that leap into the past.  ;)