Author Topic: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People  (Read 303593 times)

katycoo

Re: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People
« Reply #2385 on: February 19, 2014, 07:53:03 PM »
When they are in court he and the prosecutor keep referring to each other as "learned", pronouncing both syllables. It cracks me up because it's sort passive-aggressive or sarcastic or whatever, but it's also because they do, in fact, have great respect for each other.

2 interesting facts for you.

1. Professionals at the bar table refer to each other as their "friend" if the person being referred to is a solicitor, and their "learned friend" if that person is a barrister.

2. For some reason, it is always pronounced "learn-ed" in this context.  Its not PA or sarcastic at all.  Its just how its done.

Oh! I just assumed it was sort of sarcastic because, well, because their tone sort of sounded that way in the movie. Probably just my interpretation. But also because Charles Laughton plays a character that is constantly spewing out sarcasm. In a funny way of course. I mean, I love that movie and Laughton's character, while gruff and sarcastic and seemingly intolerant is also incredibly smart and funny. It's one of those movies where all the characters are very well played and the plot is compelling.

Have you seen it?

I've not - perhaps I should :)

Also - having not seen it - it is possible that the speaker was being sarcastic but that would be delivered through tone, not the use of the word itself :)  Have you seen the Australian version of Rake (I believe a US one is coming)?

oz diva

• The Classics are SO last Century
« Reply #2386 on: February 19, 2014, 09:19:13 PM »
Along the lines of "things used to be better in the days," I know a girl who is convinced she'd be happier if she'd been raised in the palaeolithic. She's sure that it was  idyllic utopia with no social problems because people were living naturally. All illnesses could be cured by natural herbs and anyway, don't you know that most diseases like cancer are cured solely by our unnatural modern lifestyle? ::)

She's so sensible in other ways that I'm baffled.

If she's ever taken antibiotics, she should know that the infection may otherwise have killed her. My Dad knew a boy who scratched a pimple and died of blood poisoning because penicillin wasn't readily available. Surviving cuts and abrasions would not be that easy.

Victoria

Morrigan

• Requests from the Reference Desk
« Reply #2387 on: February 19, 2014, 09:20:34 PM »
I recommend Stephen King's book 11/22/63 for an interesting take on how to use one's current knowledge to survive in the past.   His view on gambling while knowing the outcome of certain sporting events was cool.

Kinda but not really and with a spin, "Off to be the wizard" by Scott Meyer.
Boy uses program to manipulate time and space. Boy gets in trouble. Boy flees back in time to Medieval England to live as a wizard while he tries to think of a way to fix things. Boy gets in more trouble.

The book is a hoot, loved it. Quick/light read:
Off to Be the Wizard is a light, comedic novel about computers, time travel, and human stupidity, written by Scott Meyer, the creator of the internationally known comic strip Basic Instructions.

See also: the Lord Conrad series by Leo Frankowski.  A modern guy (from the 90s) from Poland is sent back through time to medieval Poland.  Pretty good series!

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2388 on: February 19, 2014, 09:43:01 PM »
Along the lines of "things used to be better in the days," I know a girl who is convinced she'd be happier if she'd been raised in the palaeolithic. She's sure that it was  idyllic utopia with no social problems because people were living naturally. All illnesses could be cured by natural herbs and anyway, don't you know that most diseases like cancer are cured solely by our unnatural modern lifestyle? ::)

If she's ever taken antibiotics, she should know that the infection may otherwise have killed her. My Dad knew a boy who scratched a pimple and died of blood poisoning because penicillin wasn't readily available. Surviving cuts and abrasions would not be that easy.
Also tetanus, aka lockjaw.  My mother had a classmate who died of tetanus. 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

CakeEater

« Reply #2389 on: February 19, 2014, 09:58:23 PM »
It all makes me wonder what people in a hundred years will be saying about the barbaric early 21st century, when people actually used to die of cancer/road accidents/AIDS, and only lived til they were in their 80s, usually.

oz diva

• The Classics are SO last Century
« Reply #2390 on: February 19, 2014, 10:36:55 PM »
True, too true. Like seeing the doctors in Star Trek when they travel back to the 20th Century.

Victoria

Psychopoesie

« Reply #2391 on: February 19, 2014, 10:38:38 PM »
This lovely time travel tangent is also reminding me of Julian May's series of novels in which some people from earth's future take a one way trip back to the Pliocene era, assuming they'll have the place pretty much to themselves (apart from their fellow time travellers and the native wildlife). It doesn't quite work out how they expect. It was a fascinating series.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2392 on: February 19, 2014, 11:29:43 PM »
It all makes me wonder what people in a hundred years will be saying about the barbaric early 21st century, when people actually used to die of cancer/road accidents/AIDS, and only lived til they were in their 80s, usually.
And think about the treatments that came along -- will come along -- just too late.  There are several in my family history.  My maternal grandfather died of pneumonia in 1929, leaving his widow with a 5-year-old girl and a newborn son.  His doctor mourned and apologized for years that  the antibiotics hadn't been developed; that with them he could have saved him.  Sister's husband contracted polio, just a few weeks before the vaccine came out.  He suffers the effects to this day.  Grandmother went blind from macular degeneration, only a couple of years before the shots for the eyes came out. 
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #2393 on: February 20, 2014, 12:44:21 AM »
Or Harry Turtledove's series in which some racists from the future give the South guns so they'll win the Civil War, intending to preserve slavery--only for the South to abolish slavery on its own.  Hard to predict exactly what will happen when you change history.  :)

lowspark

« Reply #2394 on: February 20, 2014, 09:04:44 AM »
Childbirth made women particularly vulnerable. Has anyone read The Red Tent? Death was seen as almost a part of life, and while they were missed it seemed almost the price for bearing children.

I love the time travel Twilight Zone episodes. It is a common theme, and I think a lot of that was Serling's nostalgia. No Time Like the Past is another one, and there's two episodes where they actually escape into the simpler world. A World of Difference and A Stop at Willoughby.

I'm watching a lot of them right now to research for a game, and there are some with happy endings.  My favorites of those are I Dream of Genie and Night of the Meek.

A Stop at Willoughby is one of my absolute favorite TZ episodes. I just love that one.

Another time travel one I like is "Back There". The main character (played by Russell Johnson who also played The Professor on Gilligan's Island and just recently died) finds himself back in time trying to prove that having advance knowledge of the assassination of Lincoln, he could prevent it. He can't, but he does inadvertently change other things.

And yet another one I really like, "A Hundred Years over the Rim" in which Cliff Robertson travels into the future to get help for his sick son.

Sorry for the thread hijack -- I know the TZ discussion is way off topic, but man I love those shows.

lowspark

« Reply #2395 on: February 20, 2014, 09:07:40 AM »
When they are in court he and the prosecutor keep referring to each other as "learned", pronouncing both syllables. It cracks me up because it's sort passive-aggressive or sarcastic or whatever, but it's also because they do, in fact, have great respect for each other.

2 interesting facts for you.

1. Professionals at the bar table refer to each other as their "friend" if the person being referred to is a solicitor, and their "learned friend" if that person is a barrister.

2. For some reason, it is always pronounced "learn-ed" in this context.  Its not PA or sarcastic at all.  Its just how its done.

Oh! I just assumed it was sort of sarcastic because, well, because their tone sort of sounded that way in the movie. Probably just my interpretation. But also because Charles Laughton plays a character that is constantly spewing out sarcasm. In a funny way of course. I mean, I love that movie and Laughton's character, while gruff and sarcastic and seemingly intolerant is also incredibly smart and funny. It's one of those movies where all the characters are very well played and the plot is compelling.

Have you seen it?

I've not - perhaps I should :)

Also - having not seen it - it is possible that the speaker was being sarcastic but that would be delivered through tone, not the use of the word itself :)  Have you seen the Australian version of Rake (I believe a US one is coming)?

Oh yes, I highly recommend it.

I have not seen Rake but I will definitely add it to my list. It sounds good!

Jones

« Reply #2396 on: February 20, 2014, 09:41:28 AM »
With all the discussion on time travel and the shocking medical and hygiene issues of our ancestors (even relatively recently), a shout out to Diana Gabaldon's "Outlander" series is warranted.

Browyn

« Reply #2397 on: February 20, 2014, 01:42:01 PM »
I think it's a myth that most people dropped dead in their twenties. Sure, some did, mostly women in childbirth, but it wasn't all that unheard of for someone to reach middle age or even what we'd call old. Infant mortality dragged down the average. That said, yeah, more people are living long enough to die of heart disease and cancer now, plus now we have the diagnostic tools to know what exactly they had. In the old days, someone would die and maybe you'd never know exactly what caused it. Just look at all the "what did he really die of? was it murder?" articles that are always being written about famous dead people of the past.

This.  "Old age" was your 60s - and if you made it past age five or so, you'd probably make it through your adulthood too.

Exactly, its the difference between life expectancy and life span.  As we reduce infant mortalilty and communicable desease life expectancy (which is an average) increases.  But life span (how long a human can live) has changed very little.  My Grandmother was born in 1887 and lived to be 95.

http://www.news-medical.net/health/Life-Expectancy-Versus-Life-Span.aspx

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2398 on: February 20, 2014, 02:49:14 PM »
An interesting book about medical history is "The Age of Agony." It mainly deals with the 18th century. Reading it makes you very thankful you live today!

MerryCat

« Reply #2399 on: February 20, 2014, 03:24:55 PM »

Re: The bolded, you might think so, but it's amazing the number of people (friend included) believe that because antibiotics are sometimes over-prescribed they're also completely unnecessary. Maybe it's a case of familiarity breeding contempt?