Author Topic: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People  (Read 323764 times)

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
Re: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People
« Reply #2445 on: February 24, 2014, 10:02:19 AM »
Some people actually do that... I find it a little strange.
Why?  Some of it makes sense.
I don't think that Katana Geldar was talking about people who keep a few weeks of food on hand. There are people out there who take this to extremes. There's an entire sub-culture out there who expect (want?) things to fall apart completely, and that it can happen any day now. That behavior is frequently associated with an addiction to conspiracy theories.

It's very smart to have at least a week, if not two, of supplies available. We live in SoCal, which means earthquakes. What's not reasonable is having an entire underground shelter stocked with food for the next 5 years because you think that martial law will be enacted soon.

It also often goes with being completely uninterested in talking about anything else, and doomjacking completely irrelevant conversations to rant about the topic and to shout "WAKE UP, SHEEPLE" at people apropos of nothing.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #2446 on: February 24, 2014, 10:12:36 AM »
I have a wonderful, young, energetic chiropractor. He has made big differences in my family's physical well being and I appreciate it.

However, he has a sideline that features "detox" kits, supplements, meal replacement plans, all sorts of things. We have told him before that we aren't interested. My friend and her DH were there, and she was reading the "detox" kit instructions. She remarked that it wasn't so bad that you had to do the no food part for three days, but didn't understand why you could only drink distilled water.

I hear warning bells. Distilled water in small quantities with a normal diet is not harmful, but it is hypotonic, so having that as your only source of hydration for three days is a very bad thing.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2447 on: February 24, 2014, 10:45:13 AM »
I have a wonderful, young, energetic chiropractor. He has made big differences in my family's physical well being and I appreciate it.

However, he has a sideline that features "detox" kits, supplements, meal replacement plans, all sorts of things. We have told him before that we aren't interested. My friend and her DH were there, and she was reading the "detox" kit instructions. She remarked that it wasn't so bad that you had to do the no food part for three days, but didn't understand why you could only drink distilled water.

I hear warning bells. Distilled water in small quantities with a normal diet is not harmful, but it is hypotonic, so having that as your only source of hydration for three days is a very bad thing.

Not to mention that distilling units that are not well maintained and cleaned can harbour a lot of bacteria, including Legionella.

I'll take my tap water any day, thanks.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #2448 on: February 24, 2014, 10:59:00 AM »

Can I go back in time with the knowledge I have now? Because I think I could happily survive in wild Australia.

This actually reminds me of a Twilight Zone episode where a successful business man goes back in time with a plan to buy some oil rich land for a very cheap price, the idea being that he knows there's oil there but the people at that time didn't. Problem is that he can't actually get the oil because the drills he needs haven't been invented yet.

My point (and what I think is the point of that show) is that it might sound like a good idea to go back in time with today's knowledge, but there are bound to be ramifications one never thinks of. Interesting to speculate about though!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Of_Late_I_Think_of_Cliffordville

My DH wanted to win the lottery and travel back in time to buy the Louisiana Purchase. 

One of his friends pointed out that he'd need to take gold with him. So he could buy X pounds of gold at today's high gold prices. But those same pounds would be worth, like a tenth or something, in the past. So he wouldn't have enough.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #2449 on: February 24, 2014, 11:15:07 AM »
But I bet you could bring, say, metal tools or other metal or glassworks from today back into the past, and the craftsmanship (done by machine) would be advanced enough for them to be worth something.

I'd consider bringing furniture or other "antiques" from the past when I went to the future.  :)  If in nice condition, they could be worth a lot.

BarensMom

« Reply #2450 on: February 24, 2014, 11:25:14 AM »
But I bet you could bring, say, metal tools or other metal or glassworks from today back into the past, and the craftsmanship (done by machine) would be advanced enough for them to be worth something.

I'd consider bringing furniture or other "antiques" from the past when I went to the future.  :)  If in nice condition, they could be worth a lot.

There's a show on MNet, "The Queen and I" in which the lead male character does exactly that.

magicdomino

« Reply #2451 on: February 24, 2014, 12:00:44 PM »

They'd probably be worth more if they were a little bit beat up.  A brand new Chippendale chair might be suspected of being a forgery.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #2452 on: February 24, 2014, 12:01:36 PM »

They'd probably be worth more if they were a little bit beat up.  A brand new Chippendale chair might be suspected of being a forgery.

If you brought it forward in time, would the wood age? That's one of the ways people determine whether an antique is truly an antique.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #2453 on: February 24, 2014, 12:03:32 PM »
I remember a short story - the time traveler arranged to have stamps and coins in prepaid safety deposit boxes set up for  him in the past and memorized sheet music from the future back to the past - something that could earn SOME money, at least - anything that sounded like it would be popular "back home".  Possibly race results & stock tips, maybe a few ways to improve inventions "back home" - but nothing that made giant leaps of science or metalworking.  Something like an improvement on an existing device....I was thinking that an eidetic memory would be very handy if you were limited in what could be actually taken with you...

Then the time machine blew up, stranding him in the future....
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 12:05:56 PM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

kategillian

« Reply #2454 on: February 24, 2014, 12:32:55 PM »
There is a reality show in the US called Doomsday Preppers, basically about specific families and how prepared they are for *when* society crumbles. I've always found the show strange, because if it DOES crumble, everyone who knows these people will do their darndest to steal the supplies that they now know they have! Why set yourself up like that?

Elisabunny

« Reply #2455 on: February 24, 2014, 01:21:35 PM »

There's also a somewhat interesting doomsday-type book I read in which an asteroid knocks the moon off course, causing disaster on earth.  While the book itself is intriguing, it's incredibly depressing and ends with the worst deus ex machina "the government is our savior" way, and it doesn't even make sense.  I didn't even realize until I looked it up now that it's part of a series, though, so maybe the other books help to explain some of the first one.  It's called "Life As We Knew It," by Susan Pfeiffer.

The next two books aren't any better.  Make very little sense, and minor characters get killed in rather absurd ways, apparently just to get them out of the way so the major characters can get on with the author's plans.
You must remember this: a ghoti is still a fish...

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #2456 on: February 24, 2014, 01:28:47 PM »

How is that not so bad? I've read different detox diets and have officially decided I am just going to live all toxey. I'm ok with being toxic because I love food and I'm not giving it up. I'll never look like Gwenth Paltrow but that's ok. Gweny will never look like me either!

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #2457 on: February 24, 2014, 01:31:03 PM »
Well, I guess my friend was saying she could do it over a weekend then one day at work and be done with it. I then heard the chiropractor say he would recommend she be off solid food for 7 days, not 3.

I told them I would rather go through colonoscopy prep.

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2458 on: February 24, 2014, 01:37:01 PM »
TootsNYC wrote:

"One of his friends pointed out that he'd need to take gold with him. So he could buy X pounds of gold at today's high gold prices. But those same pounds would be worth, like a tenth or something, in the past. So he wouldn't have enough."

He'd be better off taking back something that's relatively common and cheap now but was rare back then, like helium or pure aluminum or any of a thousand other materials right down to plastic bottles.  Then he'd be able to sell them for quite a bit in the past and then buy up the Louisiana Purchase.  The bigger question is why he'd want to buy it in the first place.  What good would it do?  It was mostly either wilderness or occupied by Native Americans at the time, and so it wouldn't be worth much for quite a long time as the resources in the area weren't simple to extract and he wouldn't have the Army to keep the occupants at bay.

Virg

Tea Drinker

• Now part of Team Land Crab
« Reply #2459 on: February 24, 2014, 01:46:41 PM »
No, they didn't often have cancer -- most cancers generally take time to develop, and they didn't live long enough for one to take hold.  If you lived long enough to see your grandchildren (at the ripe old age of 25-30) that was wondrous. 
Just wanted to point out this is a common misconception. When you look at modern day uncontacted isolated tribes (from the Amazon or Papua New Guinea) who have nothing to do with outsiders, and no contact with modern medicine or civilization the average life spans are only about 10 years less than our modern day life spans. They live very long lives and our ancestors did too. The assumption that average life span was only 30 was due to the high infant mortality skewing the average life span with a slew of early deaths. But once you make it past the first 5 years you would have a very good chance of living a fairly long life (on average).

http://ryan-koch.blogspot.com/2009/05/reality-of-primitive-peoples-lifespan.html

The average modal age of adult death for hunter-gatherers is 72 with a range of 68-78 years. This range appears to be the closest functional equivelent of an "adaptive" human lifespan.

Hunter-gatherers who survive infancy do seem to mostly live fairly long lives. But that doesn't generalize to pre-modern agricultural societies: agriculture led to significant population growth, at the expense of individual lifespan. One reason for that is that larger and more settled populations are more vulnerable to disease outbreaks; another is that the settled agriculturalists are committed to staying put in ways that wandering groups of hunter-gatherers aren't. In a drought, it's valuable to be able to walk away and find someplace where it has rained, or go down to the coast and gather clams even if it's not your usual time of year to do that.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.