News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• September 24, 2017, 12:31:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People  (Read 1173358 times)

Seraphia

• Unabashed cat person
Re: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People
« Reply #2460 on: February 24, 2014, 06:59:13 PM »
Kind of on the doomsday-prepper track, remember all the Y2K hysteria when we were approaching the end of 1999? My grandma got really nervous about it and filled her bathtub up with water on New Year's Eve 1999. We all thought that was kind of silly, but hey, lots of other people were doing the same thing, and it made her feel better.

On the subject of bringing things through time to make money, I can't believe no one has mentioned Biff's sports almanac in Back to the Future, Part II! A classic example of a case where the plan succeeded, but changed the world for the worse.

I remember my dad first telling us about Y2K in a "Heh, those poor accountants whose software won't work after 1999," way, since he worked on video game chips that sometimes had the same two-digit issue.

When it grew into a giant hoopla where our toasters were going to rise up and attack us, I was bewildered, because I couldn't parse how accounting software had made it into appliances in the first place.
Ancora Imparo - I am still learning

Morrigan

• Requests from the Reference Desk
« Reply #2461 on: February 24, 2014, 08:30:40 PM »
But I bet you could bring, say, metal tools or other metal or glassworks from today back into the past, and the craftsmanship (done by machine) would be advanced enough for them to be worth something.

I'd consider bringing furniture or other "antiques" from the past when I went to the future.  :)  If in nice condition, they could be worth a lot.

There's a book in which a time traveler, on deciding he is going to stay a thousand years in the past, takes all of his (not very much) money, and spends every penny on good steel needles and bright-colored embroidery floss. Nobody at the other end cares about how it was made: the needles and thread are valuable, in a culture that makes and embroiders cloth, but without modern or near-modern  metal-working or bright, color-fast dyes.

The Leo Frankowski time traveler book I mentioned previously does something like this - only with seeds.  Modern seeds (vegetable, flowers, fruit etc - hundreds of types/varieties) back to 14th century Poland.

PastryGoddess

« Reply #2462 on: February 24, 2014, 09:58:52 PM »
Can the time travel books and stories move to a new thread please?

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #2463 on: February 25, 2014, 11:43:58 AM »
From Not Always Right. Would-be pilot misunderstands membership in the Mile High Club.

http://notalwaysworking.com/thinker-failer-soldier-fly/33971

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

Paper Roses

« Reply #2464 on: February 25, 2014, 09:46:56 PM »
A friend of mine was driving to my house.  She had been several times before, but she's, well, directionally-challenged, I guess.  She seriously gets lost constantly, even with the best of directions.  Anyway, she eventually made it, but told me when she arrived that she thought the house was on the other side of the street, and had driven up and down the street several times looking for it.  I asked her, "You know what number we are, right?"  She said she did.  So I said, "And you still looked on the other side, even after seeing that they were all even numbers?"

She had no idea that house numbers generally go even on one side of the street, odd on the other.
No, you can't, because you wishpishabonnyfish.

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #2465 on: February 25, 2014, 11:50:17 PM »
She had no idea that house numbers generally go even on one side of the street, odd on the other.

Depending on where you live, they don't always. I've seen streets where they go (to take an example) from 1-50 on one side and then from 51-100 back down the other side.

It's very rare, mind you, at least in all countries I've ever visited, so it's safe to assume it's even on one side and odd on the other, but there are exceptions.

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

Margo

« Reply #2466 on: February 26, 2014, 03:22:39 AM »
I live in a street which is one of those exceptions - they go up one side and down the other. It does confuse people, as odd numbers on one side and even on the other is more common here. I had a delivery man who was absolutely adamant that my neighbour's grocery delivery was for me, even after I showed him the number on my doorframe... (although that may have been more that he didn't want to carry the crates next door!)

Carotte

« Reply #2467 on: February 26, 2014, 03:46:25 AM »
I only just recently found out how they decided, in Paris, how to number the buildings. It's one side even, the other odd, both going in the same direction (with the possible exception of a few streets maybe) but the question was, how do they decide where to start?
The N1 will be on the left side of the street end the closest to the Seine (the river that goes through the middle of the city). So the further you go from the river, the further the numbers go.
If the street is parallel to the river then they went with the closer to the source of the Seine.
I don't know how they dealt with streets close to the river bends, but at least now if I have a map or a basic understanding of where I am I can guess how the numbers goes. Sometimes just finding the dang street name is not easy  ::).
There might be a similar set up in other cities, like maybe from the X monument instead of a river, or from north and east to south/west...

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #2468 on: February 26, 2014, 04:26:43 AM »
I used to have a friend who lived in a cul-de-sac where the houses did not have numbers, only names.  Weird, and very irritating the first few times!

menley

« Reply #2469 on: February 26, 2014, 04:31:19 AM »
Where we live, the street numbers are even on one side and odd on the other - but oftentimes, the evens and odds don't "line up". So say for example my house number is 3 - the house number across from me is 16. I've no idea why this happens, but it sure confuses people trying to find us.

Carotte

« Reply #2470 on: February 26, 2014, 04:40:25 AM »
Where we live, the street numbers are even on one side and odd on the other - but oftentimes, the evens and odds don't "line up". So say for example my house number is 3 - the house number across from me is 16. I've no idea why this happens, but it sure confuses people trying to find us.

Still better than in Japan, where the streets have no name and the buildings are numbered by age...
They have block name (or numbers) and the building n 1 and n 2 might be on opposite end of said block ><. No wonder even promotional flyers have a little map showing where the store is.

Margo

« Reply #2471 on: February 26, 2014, 04:55:02 AM »
I was trying to remember whether it was Japan which did numbering like that! I'd read about it, but couldn't remember which country it was (or even whether it was country-wide, or only one specific city!)

Elfmama

• Derailing threads since 2001!
« Reply #2472 on: February 26, 2014, 11:53:12 AM »
My sister's house is on a street that wraps around a steep hill.  There is no "other side of the street" because that would have people going downhill into their driveways.  Instead you see the backs of the houses on the next street down.

I believe that all the houses have even numbers, but they don't run sequentially.  The first house is #2, the second house is #8, the third is #14, and so on.  They're narrow lots, too, so it's not as if they were double lots that used up two numbers, just in case they got split later.  Sister's house, by the usual numbering system, should be #24.  Instead it's #52.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Common sense is not a gift, but a curse.  Because then
you have to deal with all the people who don't have it.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Paper Roses

« Reply #2473 on: February 26, 2014, 12:17:24 PM »
I didn't say there weren't exceptions; I am well aware that there are.  But as I said, generally, that's how it's done around here. 

Besides, wouldn't you figure that after looking at the other side of the street and seeing numbers like 10, 12, 16, 20 - even if a couple are skipped, it would be the logical thing to turn your head and look across the street for number 15?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 08:01:54 PM by Paper Roses »
No, you can't, because you wishpishabonnyfish.

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
« Reply #2474 on: February 26, 2014, 12:39:53 PM »
J. P. Morgan and Bank of America just sent me emails about an unclaimed deposit or stolen information.

I don't think that either company has an AOL.com email address....but I don't think so. 

I might check with Bank of America later - but we have no dealings with J. P. Morgan, at least not since the internet and certainly not with this email address....there was no internet in college....when we MIGHT have had a bank that was since bought out...and could have ended up in what is now J. P. Morgan...but that's been three decades plus.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?