Author Topic: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People  (Read 300916 times)

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
Re: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People
« Reply #2475 on: February 26, 2014, 05:26:43 AM »
I used to have a friend who lived in a cul-de-sac where the houses did not have numbers, only names.  Weird, and very irritating the first few times!

menley

« Reply #2476 on: February 26, 2014, 05:31:19 AM »
Where we live, the street numbers are even on one side and odd on the other - but oftentimes, the evens and odds don't "line up". So say for example my house number is 3 - the house number across from me is 16. I've no idea why this happens, but it sure confuses people trying to find us.

Carotte

« Reply #2477 on: February 26, 2014, 05:40:25 AM »
Where we live, the street numbers are even on one side and odd on the other - but oftentimes, the evens and odds don't "line up". So say for example my house number is 3 - the house number across from me is 16. I've no idea why this happens, but it sure confuses people trying to find us.

Still better than in Japan, where the streets have no name and the buildings are numbered by age...
They have block name (or numbers) and the building n 1 and n 2 might be on opposite end of said block ><. No wonder even promotional flyers have a little map showing where the store is.

Margo

« Reply #2478 on: February 26, 2014, 05:55:02 AM »
I was trying to remember whether it was Japan which did numbering like that! I'd read about it, but couldn't remember which country it was (or even whether it was country-wide, or only one specific city!)

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2479 on: February 26, 2014, 12:53:12 PM »
My sister's house is on a street that wraps around a steep hill.  There is no "other side of the street" because that would have people going downhill into their driveways.  Instead you see the backs of the houses on the next street down.

I believe that all the houses have even numbers, but they don't run sequentially.  The first house is #2, the second house is #8, the third is #14, and so on.  They're narrow lots, too, so it's not as if they were double lots that used up two numbers, just in case they got split later.  Sister's house, by the usual numbering system, should be #24.  Instead it's #52.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Paper Roses

« Reply #2480 on: February 26, 2014, 01:17:24 PM »
I didn't say there weren't exceptions; I am well aware that there are.  But as I said, generally, that's how it's done around here. 

Besides, wouldn't you figure that after looking at the other side of the street and seeing numbers like 10, 12, 16, 20 - even if a couple are skipped, it would be the logical thing to turn your head and look across the street for number 15?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 09:01:54 PM by Paper Roses »
No, you can't, because you wishpishabonnyfish.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #2481 on: February 26, 2014, 01:39:53 PM »
J. P. Morgan and Bank of America just sent me emails about an unclaimed deposit or stolen information.

I don't think that either company has an AOL.com email address....but I don't think so. 

I might check with Bank of America later - but we have no dealings with J. P. Morgan, at least not since the internet and certainly not with this email address....there was no internet in college....when we MIGHT have had a bank that was since bought out...and could have ended up in what is now J. P. Morgan...but that's been three decades plus.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2482 on: February 26, 2014, 04:10:51 PM »
Seraphia wrote:

"I remember my dad first telling us about Y2K in a "Heh, those poor accountants whose software won't work after 1999," way, since he worked on video game chips that sometimes had the same two-digit issue."

The funny part about this is that the accountants generally didn't have any worries, because accounting and financial software had been long fixed by that time.  The reason is that most financial software got dealt with back in the '70s when thirty year mortgages started crossing over into 2000, and any accountant worth their title would have had the problem fixed long before the general public had to worry about it.

Virg

KB

« Reply #2483 on: February 26, 2014, 07:41:51 PM »

It usually happens because one side of the street has more 'front' than the other, often because there are streets breaking up one side so the blocks don't match up perfectly. There may also be large blocks facing side streets that further interrupt flow of numbers. It can be so bad sometimes that one side of the street may only have four or five numbers while the other has a dozen or more.

Coruscation

« Reply #2484 on: February 26, 2014, 09:31:30 PM »
I live in a street which is one of those exceptions - they go up one side and down the other. It does confuse people, as odd numbers on one side and even on the other is more common here.

I've lived in two streets with numbers like this and can tell you why. The council won't come around and assign the house numbers. We have a number on our gate but it is the Lot number of our block. These go up one side of the street and down the other.

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #2485 on: February 26, 2014, 10:23:23 PM »
My street has odd one side, even the next.  Except where it turns the corner, and the sides change.  I've got the first 'even number' on the 'odd side of the street'*.  It confuses everybody!   :D

* (Which if you knew me in person, might seem apt!)

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2486 on: February 26, 2014, 10:31:50 PM »
My street has odd one side, even the next.  Except where it turns the corner, and the sides change.  I've got the first 'even number' on the 'odd side of the street'*.  It confuses everybody!   :D

We're odd on one side, even on the other, but the numbers skip. So 2 is not next to 4, it's next to 6, which is next to 10. I've never understood why they number it like that. The area wasn't originally zoned for smaller lots or anything, this is how it was designed.

ddawn23

« Reply #2487 on: February 27, 2014, 01:43:40 PM »

We're odd on one side, even on the other, but the numbers skip. So 2 is not next to 4, it's next to 6, which is next to 10. I've never understood why they number it like that. The area wasn't originally zoned for smaller lots or anything, this is how it was designed.
I thought it's because of the grid system.  The house that's in the middle of the block should have the middle number.  The house that's near the next cross street should have a number near the cross street's number.  The house numbers need to make sense if you're going the opposite direction too, after all.  So if there are only three houses between 10th street and 20th street it makes more sense for them to be 11, 15, and 19 or 13, 15, and 17, than for them to be 11, 13, and 15.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2488 on: February 28, 2014, 11:41:50 AM »
Our neighborhood has a street that drives everyone who doesn't live here nuts.  It's a semi-circle and Flatbush Avenue cuts straight through the middle.  Because it abuts an extension of a park, there are houses on only one side of the street.  Long ago, someone had the brilliant idea to give all the houses to the west of Flatbush odd numbers and all the houses to the east of Flatbush even numbers. 

Gwywnnydd

« Reply #2489 on: February 28, 2014, 07:42:50 PM »
There might be a similar set up in other cities, like maybe from the X monument instead of a river, or from north and east to south/west...

Chicago numbers from a certain intersection in downtown (Madison and State), headed 'out' in all four directions. Though, headed east they only go a couple of blocks before they reach the water =).