Author Topic: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People  (Read 290992 times)

Tea Drinker

Re: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People
« Reply #2490 on: February 28, 2014, 08:09:25 PM »
There might be a similar set up in other cities, like maybe from the X monument instead of a river, or from north and east to south/west...

Chicago numbers from a certain intersection in downtown (Madison and State), headed 'out' in all four directions. Though, headed east they only go a couple of blocks before they reach the water =).

In New York City, Manhattan numbers run either outwards from Fifth Avenue (for streets that run east-west) or starting at the south end for those that run north-south. The tricky bit is that the east-west street numbers are continued across the East River into the Bronx, so there are Manhattan streets where the apparent lowest number isn't 1 or 10 but 500, with 1-499 being across the river and a ways north. 
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

andi

« Reply #2491 on: February 28, 2014, 09:16:51 PM »
I recently had to tell a young lady (mid 20's) that, no - we were not driving from Texas, USA to Ireland.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2492 on: February 28, 2014, 11:48:16 PM »
I recently had to tell a young lady (mid 20's) that, no - we were not driving from Texas, USA to Ireland.
But -- but you can put it into Google maps!  That will tell you just how to get there. 

Aw, shoot, it won't do it any more.  Used to be that if you gave it directions that crossed large bodies of water, it would tell you to do things like kayak across the Atlantic Ocean.  Now it wants you to buy a plane ticket.  Phooey. :(
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #2493 on: March 01, 2014, 01:12:31 PM »
Maybe somebody (not unlike that young lady) tried to kayak across the Pacific, and the Coast Guard was less than pleased?  After this thread, it wouldn't surprise me.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #2494 on: March 01, 2014, 05:08:35 PM »
Our neighborhood has a street that drives everyone who doesn't live here nuts.  It's a semi-circle and Flatbush Avenue cuts straight through the middle.  Because it abuts an extension of a park, there are houses on only one side of the street.  Long ago, someone had the brilliant idea to give all the houses to the west of Flatbush odd numbers and all the houses to the east of Flatbush even numbers.

Like theater seats!

That was something that every now and then I've had to teach to someone. Though, I don't consider it a "silly things to have to tell someone," actually.

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #2495 on: March 04, 2014, 01:53:33 PM »

Ah, but you CAN drive from Texas, USA to Dublin, Ohio!
 ;D  (my sister lives there)

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #2496 on: March 28, 2014, 09:21:19 PM »
This wasn't so much a case of "That should be obvious" but more of "I thought it was common knowledge!"

Today we learned that two of our coworkers did not know what masking tape was.
They knew packing tape, duct tape and painters tape, but not masking tape.

It really surprised me!

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #2497 on: March 28, 2014, 10:00:32 PM »
One of my coworkers thought tendonitis and carpal tunnel were the same thing. I showed him my anatomy texts.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2498 on: March 29, 2014, 09:10:23 AM »
This wasn't so much a case of "That should be obvious" but more of "I thought it was common knowledge!"

It really surprised me!

In my world, masking tape = painter's tape, because both are to mask the parts one doesn't want painted, and are sold next to each other in the paint department; tan, green and blue, all cozy. We use it for other purposes of course.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #2499 on: March 29, 2014, 03:45:52 PM »

It really surprised me!

In my world, masking tape = painter's tape, because both are to mask the parts one doesn't want painted, and are sold next to each other in the paint department; tan, green and blue, all cozy. We use it for other purposes of course.

painters tape can be used as masking tape, but masking tape shouldn't be used as painters tape. 

Painters tape has less tack to it and will not pull off existing paint or primer, or drywall paper* when removed.  The new painters tape also has some kind of sealant on the edges to help prevent edge bleed. 

*ask me how I know this*

jilly

« Reply #2500 on: March 29, 2014, 04:18:26 PM »

It really surprised me!

painters tape can be used as masking tape, but masking tape shouldn't be used as painters tape. 

Painters tape has less tack to it and will not pull off existing paint or primer, or drywall paper* when removed.  The new painters tape also has some kind of sealant on the edges to help prevent edge bleed. 

*ask me how I know this*

I used painters tape, it bled, pulled paint off the wall and cost more than masking tape which actually did the job  ::)

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #2501 on: March 29, 2014, 08:06:16 PM »
I used an early version of painter's tape instead of masking tape - the maroon wall paint bled along the edges on the white painted moldings at the bottom of the wall, along the edges of the backsplash, counter, and cabinets in the bathroom, and along the door moldings. 

Maroon on white paint or counter top material (solid material of some kind - but not sure what was used when the house was built about 30 years ago) is NOT going to be easy to clean up nor can I remove the traces without sandpaper or chemicals.  I really didn't want to repaint ALL the molding in the house...as after ten or twenty years, it is no longer exactly the same color all through the house, depending how it has aged in a particular room.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

CakeEater

« Reply #2502 on: March 30, 2014, 06:44:08 AM »
One of my coworkers thought tendonitis and carpal tunnel were the same thing. I showed him my anatomy texts.

I don't think this one is something all adults should know.

JoW

« Reply #2503 on: March 30, 2014, 07:54:55 AM »
I had to tell my mother that pork and chicken are meat and vegetarians don't eat them.  Apparently in her mind meat = beef. 

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2504 on: March 30, 2014, 10:14:17 AM »

On one cruise to the Caribbean a group of bikers were on board. At each port they were met be a local motorcycle club and given an island tour.

You could say that they rode to Bermuda.