A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. > Time For a Coffee Break!

An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People

<< < (513/629) > >>

gramma dishes:

--- Quote from: GlitterIsMyDrug on April 09, 2014, 01:02:32 PM ---

...   Also Alaska is over by Hawaii because it's like that on maps. You know the pull down maps in classrooms where there isn't enough room to stick it at the top of Canada where it goes so they stick it down in the corner. Yes Alaska is island paradise...with a lot of snow.

--- End quote ---

You know, you're not alone in that.  My youngest daughter thought pretty much the same thing.  I think she knew that Alaska was north rather than by Hawaii, but she thought it was an island not connected to anything.  And she thought that for the same reason.  It was shown on maps as being separated from any land mass whatsoever.

I think schools should make much more use of globes.  With them you can see the relative sizes of things more easily and what's connected to what!! 

Edited to add:  She was in COLLEGE when she finally figured it out!!   :-\

ladyknight1:
We weren't told this, but from looking at the world maps in my elementary and junior high schools, it appeared North America was the largest continent and that the United States was bigger than all other nations.

I later learned of US ethnocentric maps and now know how we relate to other nations. I wish the relativity of the US to the world had been taught in school.

Shalamar:
That reminds me of the lesson taught to the children in Anna and the King - one of the princess is outraged and says "Siam is NOT that small!".

TootsNYC:
My BIL was in college when DH & I got married. We were all living in NYC at the time (they'd grown up here) but the wedding was in my hometown in the Midwest.

My BIL asked if he needed to bring his passport. DH told him yes.

This was also the kid who wanted someone to take him to the airport immediately after the wedding so he could come home right away.
   I had to lay out for him the idea that he was asking someone in the bride's or the groom's families to leave the party, drive two hours there, and two hours back.

Slartibartfast:

--- Quote from: ladyknight1 on April 09, 2014, 03:54:58 PM ---We weren't told this, but from looking at the world maps in my elementary and junior high schools, it appeared North America was the largest continent and that the United States was bigger than all other nations.

I later learned of US ethnocentric maps and now know how we relate to other nations. I wish the relativity of the US to the world had been taught in school.

--- End quote ---

Excellent scene from West Wing about this.  I kinda hope this catches on.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version