A Civil World. Off-topic discussions on a variety of topics. Guests, register for forum membership to see all the boards. > Time For a Coffee Break!

An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People

<< < (513/1186) > >>

kherbert05:
I had a map that showed the landmasses more accurately  and had the south at the top. So many teachers tried to take it down and put it up right side up - even after my kids showed them the writing was right side up the way it was hung.

Then there were the people that thought it was some geeky map of an "alien" planet from some show or the other.

oz diva:
Yes, there is no really valid reason why north is Up. Could be SSW or NW or anything.

Slartibartfast:

--- Quote from: oz diva on April 10, 2014, 05:45:39 PM ---Yes, there is no really valid reason why north is Up. Could be SSW or NW or anything.

--- End quote ---

You say that, but the college I went to was oriented NW/SE and all the campus maps had "up" be NE because that was the only reasonable way to fit everything on a rectangular sheet of paper.  Which was fine when everything you were trying to find was in relation to other things on campus, but not as fine when you finally got a car and were trying to find things elsewhere in town - my mental map was rotated 45 degrees  :P

KB:

--- Quote from: kherbert05 on April 10, 2014, 05:32:35 PM ---I had a map that showed the landmasses more accurately  and had the south at the top. So many teachers tried to take it down and put it up right side up - even after my kids showed them the writing was right side up the way it was hung.

Then there were the people that thought it was some geeky map of an "alien" planet from some show or the other.

--- End quote ---

People will go crazy when this happens.

Ms_Cellany:

--- Quote from: oz diva on April 10, 2014, 05:45:39 PM ---Yes, there is no really valid reason why north is Up. Could be SSW or NW or anything.

--- End quote ---

The convention used to be that east was up. That's why we refer to being "oriented."

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version