Author Topic: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People  (Read 290335 times)

Shalamar

Re: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People
« Reply #2610 on: April 22, 2014, 03:45:03 PM »
That reminds me of a tale I saw on Reddit.  OP had a lot of very wealthy friends, one of whom had just moved into a beautiful penthouse apartment in Manhattan.  One of the circle of friends looked around and said "Wow, this place is great.  How much do you suppose it costs?  Maybe $2000/month?"  OP gaped at her and said "Are you kidding?  This is Manhattan.  $2000 wouldn't get you a place anywhere near this nice."   Her friend got indignant, saying "Well, how am I supposed to know?  My dad pays my rent!  I don't know much things cost!"

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #2611 on: April 22, 2014, 04:00:42 PM »
I've never rented, always bought. I wouldn't have a clue what a place would cost to rent.

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

Lynn2000

« Reply #2612 on: April 22, 2014, 04:03:32 PM »
My friend and I were talking about saving for house down payments. I said I’m nowhere close to being ready to buy because I need mortgage + insurance + tax to be about $600/month. Friend asks, “Well, what do you pay in rent? Like, $200 a month?” “No!” I said, “$615! How could you think it was only $200? That might get you a room in a house with a shared bathroom, not a 2 bedroom apartment!” “Well, I didn’t know!”

You shouldn’t have to tell an adult who has lived in the same city her whole life, who has gone apartment hunting and who currently rents an apartment that rent in a not-sketchy neighborhood in a middle-sized city is not $200 a month.

If her own apartment is in a decent neighborhood, and she looks down on her friend's apartment (either the apartment itself or the neighborhood), she might be thinking, "Well, it surely can't be as much as my rent!" and then she picks an arbitrary lower number. Or she might just not be good with numbers. I couldn't tell you my exact rent because I have it automatically deducted from my account every month--saves me trying to remember to write checks on time. I've done that for years. Obviously if I needed to know the number I could look it up, but I don't know it offhand.
~Lynn2000

z_squared82

« Reply #2613 on: April 22, 2014, 04:23:16 PM »
My friend and I were talking about saving for house down payments. I said I’m nowhere close to being ready to buy because I need mortgage + insurance + tax to be about $600/month. Friend asks, “Well, what do you pay in rent? Like, $200 a month?” “No!” I said, “$615! How could you think it was only $200? That might get you a room in a house with a shared bathroom, not a 2 bedroom apartment!” “Well, I didn’t know!”

You shouldn’t have to tell an adult who has lived in the same city her whole life, who has gone apartment hunting and who currently rents an apartment that rent in a not-sketchy neighborhood in a middle-sized city is not $200 a month.

If her own apartment is in a decent neighborhood, and she looks down on her friend's apartment (either the apartment itself or the neighborhood), she might be thinking, "Well, it surely can't be as much as my rent!" and then she picks an arbitrary lower number. Or she might just not be good with numbers. I couldn't tell you my exact rent because I have it automatically deducted from my account every month--saves me trying to remember to write checks on time. I've done that for years. Obviously if I needed to know the number I could look it up, but I don't know it offhand.

She rents a 1-bedroom apartment downtown for more than $1,200/month. We know the bad areas of town -- if my apartment is $200/month, then the crap apartments around our high school must have been free. She's not clueless, she's just really good at not thinking.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #2614 on: April 22, 2014, 04:31:30 PM »
Worrier and Warrior have different meanings.

nuit93

« Reply #2615 on: April 22, 2014, 04:33:47 PM »

I'm suddenly jealous--my 1bd/1ba in a formerly-sketchy neighborhood is around $900 and that's considered dirt-cheap for the area.

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #2616 on: April 23, 2014, 12:59:14 AM »
Not me, but a new car salesman told me this one - the pull-out handle with HB on it is the handbrake, not a handbag holder.

The woman had returned the car twice for repairs after burning out the brakes, and it was only as she was departing that one of the mechanics saw her pull the handbrake on and hang her bag on it.

Fliss

• Australia - the land that time forgot.
« Reply #2617 on: April 23, 2014, 01:09:58 AM »
Not me, but a new car salesman told me this one - the pull-out handle with HB on it is the handbrake, not a handbag holder.

The woman had returned the car twice for repairs after burning out the brakes, and it was only as she was departing that one of the mechanics saw her pull the handbrake on and hang her bag on it.

Really? Next you'll be telling me that the 'E' on the dial doesn't stand for economy!
Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.

nuit93

« Reply #2618 on: April 23, 2014, 02:46:04 AM »

How...how can you even drive with that on?

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #2619 on: April 23, 2014, 03:50:48 AM »

That reminds me of a Donald Duck cartoon where Daisy Duck couldn't believe how much gas her car used, until Donald showed her that the choker was not a handy holder for her handbag.

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

athersgeo

• No one told you when to run
« Reply #2620 on: April 23, 2014, 03:54:17 AM »

Depends on the car, but some of them will drive with the handbrake partially engaged (at least for about 500 yards, until all sorts of warning lights come on - my only defence is I'd only had the car concerned three days and I was still learning its little quirks!)

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #2621 on: April 23, 2014, 11:03:45 AM »
Jan Brunvand reports an urban legend where someone thinks the letters on a gearshift are
P = Pass
R = Race
N = Nothing
D = Drag
L = Leap

The legend is about some guy who gets into a race on the highway, so shifts into "Race" at high speed and blows up his transmission.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #2622 on: April 23, 2014, 11:25:10 AM »

I've been in a number of situations when the "emergency brake" was left on (that's what I assume the handbrake is?).  The car is a little heavier feeling, and sometimes you'll smell burning after a few miles, but you can definitely drive with it on.  My grandmother did that once, and got all the way to the bank before she figured it out.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #2623 on: April 23, 2014, 11:43:49 AM »

Really? Next you'll be telling me that the 'E' on the dial doesn't stand for economy!

Of course not - it stands for "Eh, there's still a little left!"
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

menley

« Reply #2624 on: April 23, 2014, 12:04:57 PM »

I've been in a number of situations when the "emergency brake" was left on (that's what I assume the handbrake is?).  The car is a little heavier feeling, and sometimes you'll smell burning after a few miles, but you can definitely drive with it on.  My grandmother did that once, and got all the way to the bank before she figured it out.

Yeah, I inherited a car that had been passed from my dad to my sister to me... if you ever actually needed to use the handbrake, you'd be out of luck, because I could drive for 100 miles with it on and no adverse effects to the car. Not that I did that or anything.  >:D

I imagine that my sister had damaged it so badly that by the time I got the car, pulling the brake did nothing on the other end of things.