Author Topic: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People  (Read 301268 times)

Dr. F.

Re: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People
« Reply #2625 on: April 23, 2014, 01:38:26 PM »
Tinkytinky,
That sort of thing really baffles me. Why will people argue that they know more about your life than you do? I have a friend who once had someone argue with her that her surname was European, not Asian, despite the fact he was talking to her very Asian face. Then he told her it must be her married name, and argued about it when she said, no, it was the family name of her birth family. He kept insisting that it was very peculiar that she was Asian, and had a surname from a European country, then. (FWIW, her surname is very typical of surnames of the Asian country from which her father immigrated!)
I had a boss argue with me over who my Dad was. There were 3 Herbert families in the town, and we lived within a block of each other. Boss thought I was the daughter of a different family. I have to give him this he only argued with me for less than a min.. It was a kind of YIKES I made a huge mistake situation. They had added Dad to the nonprofit's board not realizing the connection. Dad argued with me over who I worked for because he didn't realize that the Children's Art Museum was part of the Fine Arts Museum.

I actually got into an argument with a person from the cable company about what state I lived in. Let's say I live in Colorado, on Missouri Street.

Somehow, they sent a technician to install my cable to Missouri St. in Missouri. After an extremely confusing 10-minute phone conversation, the technician and I figured out what had happened. I called customer service to try to remake the appointment. That's when the cs rep proceeded to inform me, several times, that NO, I didn't live in Colorado, I lived in Missouri! It was right there on the computer screen! I must be mistaken. Is there someone else she could talk to in the house?

I ended up having to be VERY firm about what state I lived in. I also changed cable carriers.

magicdomino

« Reply #2626 on: April 23, 2014, 02:32:43 PM »
Not me, but a new car salesman told me this one - the pull-out handle with HB on it is the handbrake, not a handbag holder.

The woman had returned the car twice for repairs after burning out the brakes, and it was only as she was departing that one of the mechanics saw her pull the handbrake on and hang her bag on it.

Really? Next you'll be telling me that the 'E' on the dial doesn't stand for economy!

Of course not - it stands for "Eh, there's still a little left!"

E for Enough to get to the gas station.   :)

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #2627 on: April 23, 2014, 07:56:05 PM »
Not me, but a new car salesman told me this one - the pull-out handle with HB on it is the handbrake, not a handbag holder.

The woman had returned the car twice for repairs after burning out the brakes, and it was only as she was departing that one of the mechanics saw her pull the handbrake on and hang her bag on it.

Really? Next you'll be telling me that the 'E' on the dial doesn't stand for economy!

Of course not - it stands for "Eh, there's still a little left!"

E for Enough to get to the gas station.   :)

E for Elevate, F for Fly...  (well, a gal can dream!)

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #2628 on: April 23, 2014, 08:44:19 PM »
I remember reading a child's fantasy book about an oven with two settings - O & M and a cookbook...

Turned out that M was not medium...but magic!

I wish I could remember the rest of the story!
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #2629 on: April 23, 2014, 08:48:05 PM »
Jan Brunvand reports an urban legend where someone thinks the letters on a gearshift are
P = Pass
R = Race
N = Nothing
D = Drag
L = Leap

The legend is about some guy who gets into a race on the highway, so shifts into "Race" at high speed and blows up his transmission.
What's the L really for?

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #2630 on: April 23, 2014, 08:53:04 PM »
Jan Brunvand reports an urban legend where someone thinks the letters on a gearshift are
P = Pass
R = Race
N = Nothing
D = Drag
L = Leap

The legend is about some guy who gets into a race on the highway, so shifts into "Race" at high speed and blows up his transmission.
What's the L really for?

Lower, as in lower gear. It's for treacherous, especially snowy and icy roads.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

Psychopoesie

« Reply #2631 on: April 23, 2014, 08:58:37 PM »
P = Pass
R = Race
N = Nothing
D = Drag
L = Leap

What's the L really for?

Lower, as in lower gear. It's for treacherous, especially snowy and icy roads.

Wondered about that too as the only automatic cars I've driven (mostly rentals) here in Oz had numbers for the lower speeds (1 and 2). Drive, neutral, park and reverse were the others.

cabbageweevil

« Reply #2632 on: April 24, 2014, 03:01:43 AM »
I actually got into an argument with a person from the cable company about what state I lived in. Let's say I live in Colorado, on Missouri Street.

Somehow, they sent a technician to install my cable to Missouri St. in Missouri. After an extremely confusing 10-minute phone conversation, the technician and I figured out what had happened. I called customer service to try to remake the appointment. That's when the cs rep proceeded to inform me, several times, that NO, I didn't live in Colorado, I lived in Missouri! It was right there on the computer screen! I must be mistaken. Is there someone else she could talk to in the house?

I ended up having to be VERY firm about what state I lived in. I also changed cable carriers.

Brings to mind a rather similar -- though less personally inconveniencing -- (pre-computers) situation, which I've remembered through the many years since it came my way.  My former home town in England is at a point where several counties come close together -- and, with boundary changes and amalgamations of counties over the decades: went through a period when the county of its postal address, changed a couple of times in fairly quick succession.  During this period: a post-office official in another part of England was -- in discussing a matter of an item I wanted to send home -- quite adamant that my town's "correct" postal address featured yet another county -- one quite close to it, but wherein it had in fact never been located administratively -- postal-wise, or in any other way.  My saying that I lived there, and might reasonably be expected to know what county it was in, cut no ice with him at all...

twiggy

• wonder what this thing is
« Reply #2633 on: April 24, 2014, 04:09:07 AM »
This is more a silly thing I just noticed...

I have been sewing up a storm this year. It started with baby and baby shower gifts, then I started making dresses for DD, now I'm making a quilt at Dad's request and teaching 5yo DS how to sew as well. Suffice it to say I've spent a lot of time at the sewing machine lately. Every time I have to replace the bobbin thread I play with it a bit because I can't remember if it's supposed to be clockwise or counterclockwise, so I try until I get it right. Tonight I finally noticed the little picture/icon thingy on the machine itself right next to the bobbin housing that illustrates exactly how to put everything in. (FTR, it's CCW)
In the United States today, there is a pervasive tendency to treat children as adults, and adults as children.  The options of children are thus steadily expanded, while those of adults are progressively constricted.  The result is unruly children and childish adults.  ~Thomas Szasz

cabbageweevil

« Reply #2634 on: April 24, 2014, 02:19:57 PM »
An encounter today had me wondering briefly who was the adult who should really know... the person with whom I was conversing; or myself.

This is a specifically British situation – here in the UK, it has – to some extent -- been for the past few decades, a situation of those who govern us, envisagedly trying to force on the populace, use of the metric system of weights and measurements; rather than the Imperial system of same (as used in the US), which was long used in Britain too, and which a fair number of Britons preferred and prefer.

I don’t, personally, have much of a dog in this fight – in that I am pretty disastrously innumerate, and have trouble making much sense of any kind of weights-and-measures system.  Anyway, my today’s experience -- I was in a local greengrocer’s shop, wanting to buy one and a half pounds / somewhat-less-than-a-kilo of aubergines. The shop had no set of scales or any suchlike straightforward means of weighing the stuff and being able to see what it weighed: I had to negotiate with the young woman serving there, for her to make as though to ring items up, and read out to me how much they weighed.  Communication-wise, this caused some confusion – especially when she referred (more than once) to what the context would indicate to be so many grams; as so many “kilograms”. I’ve always understood that a thousand grams make a kilogram; but – with my having little trust in myself as regards anything to do with figures – I had a slightly alarmed moment of wondering: “Is she right – and it’s me who’s been wrong and mixed-up about this point, all along?”

I tried to clarify things with the employee, as much for my own peace of mind as anything else: “Don’t you mean grams, not kilograms?”  Her response was, “Hey, you’re confusing me now.”  I didn’t pursue the matter; essentially, I’d got approximately the required quantity of the vegetable concerned. At one point in our conversation, the young lady talked in terms of pounds, rather than in terms of whatever she thought kilograms to be. I’m inclined from this, to suspect that there are indeed nowadays many Britons (apart from the numerically-terminally-challenged such as me) who are not fully comfortable with either of the two weights-and-measures systems.

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #2635 on: April 24, 2014, 03:47:04 PM »
I heard this once and it's never left my brain:

"Two and a quarter pounds of jam
Weigh about a kilogram."
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult); Zuul (F); Magpie (M); Balrog (M); Nazgul (F)

Free Range Hippy Chick

« Reply #2636 on: April 24, 2014, 04:49:24 PM »

Weigh about a kilogram."

Those used to be on the side of sugar packets when I was a very little Chick - that one, and

'a litre of water's
a pint and three quarters' (UK pint is 20 fl.oz, doesn't work with US pint)

and

'a metre measures three feet three;
it's longer than a yard, you see.'

Unfortunately it's only too easy to shift the units about.

A litre measures three feet three;
It's bigger than a stone, you see.

Or as my DH says: 'two and a quarter pounds of jam
make a horrible mess when you drop them.'

cabbageweevil

« Reply #2637 on: April 24, 2014, 06:08:55 PM »

Weigh about a kilogram."

Those used to be on the side of sugar packets when I was a very little Chick - that one, and

'a litre of water's
a pint and three quarters' (UK pint is 20 fl.oz, doesn't work with US pint)

and

'a metre measures three feet three;
it's longer than a yard, you see.'

Unfortunately it's only too easy to shift the units about.

A litre measures three feet three;
It's bigger than a stone, you see.

Or as my DH says: 'two and a quarter pounds of jam
make a horrible mess when you drop them.'

Oh, my ... I think my head's going to explode...

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #2638 on: April 24, 2014, 06:13:04 PM »
That taking final exams and studying for them is part of the whole "going to college" thing. A friend's son has been widely complaining about how much work studying and taking the exams has been.

knitwicca

« Reply #2639 on: April 25, 2014, 08:35:41 AM »
I hesitated telling this but, in view of the other posts, it probably will amuse some of you.

BG: I grew up in the southern midwest, cattle country.

I used to work in retail. One day at lunch in the store break room, several of us were discussing the year's farming harvest and grain prices.
One of the women sitting there silently began to ask questions.
This woman was an adult, married with kids, grew up in the area and was used to driving dirt roads between farms when going to visit friends/family.

She actually did not know, and was stunned to learn, (a) bread is made from the same wheat we all had been harvesting, (b) that same ground beef she purchased at the grocery did not come from some government place where it was manufactured but from the very cattle her neighbors raised and (c) the potatoes at the grocery were grown the same way as the ones she refused to eat at her in-laws house ("they were in the dirt...ew!)