Author Topic: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People  (Read 307351 times)

Carotte

Re: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People
« Reply #2640 on: April 25, 2014, 09:24:45 AM »

She actually did not know, and was stunned to learn, (a) bread is made from the same wheat we all had been harvesting, (b) that same ground beef she purchased at the grocery did not come from some government place where it was manufactured but from the very cattle her neighbors raised and (c) the potatoes at the grocery were grown the same way as the ones she refused to eat at her in-laws house ("they were in the dirt...ew!)

Years ago when I still had a TV around there was a Big Brother reality TV type show where there was one person per country of the europeen union (maybe not all of them but quite a few).
I didn't watch it (I was never a fan of reality TV) but would sometimes came across snipets of it on other shows, like the top ten funny things or the latest drama - one of it was a 25y/old (or around that) who found out where eggs where coming from  ::)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #2641 on: April 25, 2014, 10:04:01 AM »
^ Chicken butts!

I am always surprised at adults who don't know where food comes from. I consider that basic knowledge.

It is one of the reasons DH and I want to have a small hobby farm with a small amount of livestock and a few acres of crops. We would love to have school children come to visit and pick their own vegetables to cook and eat there. We may even have a summer camp program.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #2642 on: April 25, 2014, 10:06:59 AM »
This was a teen, not an adult, but still:

My brother had some friends over.  My mom made veal parmesan.  One of the girls didn't know what that was:

Mom: Veal?  You know?

Girl: *blank stare*

Mom: Veal is baby cow.  You know, like lamb is baby sheep?

Girl: People eat sheep?

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #2643 on: April 25, 2014, 10:16:52 AM »
I hesitated telling this but, in view of the other posts, it probably will amuse some of you.

BG: I grew up in the southern midwest, cattle country.

I used to work in retail. One day at lunch in the store break room, several of us were discussing the year's farming harvest and grain prices.
One of the women sitting there silently began to ask questions.
This woman was an adult, married with kids, grew up in the area and was used to driving dirt roads between farms when going to visit friends/family.

She actually did not know, and was stunned to learn, (a) bread is made from the same wheat we all had been harvesting, (b) that same ground beef she purchased at the grocery did not come from some government place where it was manufactured but from the very cattle her neighbors raised and (c) the potatoes at the grocery were grown the same way as the ones she refused to eat at her in-laws house ("they were in the dirt...ew!)

That's weird. I can understand city youngsters not knowing exactly where food is from, but an adult who lives in an agricultural region?

I wonder what she thought was the point of raising wheat or cattle. Why did she think people would pay her neighbours for doing so?
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Carotte

« Reply #2644 on: April 25, 2014, 11:28:19 AM »
That reminds me of my mother explaining how naive she was about the birds and bee business, and that it took hearing her mother delivering her brother (home delivery) for it to click that nope, no cabage or stork were involved.
She was around 6 or 8 I think, but mostly she had witnessed animals being born, and even helped, from a young age, it just didn't register.

As for the "where food comes from" sometimes during conversations you find out you have no idea how peanuts grow or where semolina* comes from. If avocados grow on bushes or tree or something. Wikipedia is a blessing then  :P

*We must have not been thinking that time, but SO and I just couldn't remember how semolina grows ><. I'm pretty sure at one time I knew that it doesn't "grow", it's transformed from wheat, but for the life of me I couldn't make the connection.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 11:34:11 AM by Carotte »

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #2645 on: April 25, 2014, 11:35:09 AM »
... a 25y/old (or around that) who found out where eggs where coming from  ::)

^ Chicken butts!

My mom was studying child development once and had to prepare an educational session for a nursery school. She borrowed my brother and his chicken (long story--he saw it wander into the dime store of our small town, caught it, got scolded for "his" chicken, brought it home, and Dad converted the playhouse to a coop), and took them to teach the kids about chickens.
   This chicken was a total ham!  And during the presentation, she laid an egg. So the little kids passed it around, and exclaimed: "It's warm!!"

z_squared82

« Reply #2646 on: April 25, 2014, 11:37:28 AM »
... a 25y/old (or around that) who found out where eggs where coming from  ::)

^ Chicken butts!

My mom was studying child development once and had to prepare an educational session for a nursery school. She borrowed my brother and his chicken (long story--he saw it wander into the dime store of our small town, caught it, got scolded for "his" chicken, brought it home, and Dad converted the playhouse to a coop), and took them to teach the kids about chickens.
   This chicken was a total ham!  And during the presentation, she laid an egg. So the little kids passed it around, and exclaimed: "It's warm!!"

So that's where bacon and eggs come from! ;D

Hurricane Marathon

« Reply #2647 on: April 25, 2014, 12:01:51 PM »
... hearing her mother delivering her brother...

I'd be traumatized for life.

ddawn23

« Reply #2648 on: April 25, 2014, 12:52:08 PM »
Dining hall, sophomore year of college:  I was sitting next to three freshmen from my house who were discussing ribs.  What kind of meat are ribs?  I said they're usually pork, but are sometimes beef.
FM1: Ah.  I wonder what part of the pig the ribs come from.
FM2 and 3: Yeah!  Me too.
Me: The ribs.  They come from the ribs of the pig.
FM: Yeah, but like, where on the pig do they come from?
Me: From the ribs.  Literally the ribs.  The rib cage.  You have ribs, I have ribs.  Pigs have ribs too, and that's where the ribs come from.
FM: And the bone?
Me: Is the rib bone.
FM: So pork ribs come from the pig's ribs?  Like, literally?
Me: Yes.
All Three: Wow.

Shalamar

« Reply #2649 on: April 25, 2014, 01:42:12 PM »
That reminds me of the Baby Blues comic strip when Zoe (the little girl) has finally started to clue in to what she's been eating.  "You mean ground beef comes from cows?"  "That's right."  "Bacon comes from pigs?"  "Yup."  "Boy!  Next thing I know, you're going to tell me that chicken comes from - *gasp*!".

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2650 on: April 25, 2014, 02:12:02 PM »
As for the "where food comes from" sometimes during conversations you find out you have no idea how peanuts grow or where semolina* comes from. If avocados grow on bushes or tree or something. Wikipedia is a blessing then  :P

*We must have not been thinking that time, but SO and I just couldn't remember how semolina grows ><. I'm pretty sure at one time I knew that it doesn't "grow", it's transformed from wheat, but for the life of me I couldn't make the connection.

Just within the past few months, I saw a picture of pineapple growing. It was so bizarre-looking that I had to Google to make sure that picture wasn't just a joke! I know pineapples grow, but I'd never given much thought to whether it was a tree or a vine, how they look when growing, etc.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #2651 on: April 25, 2014, 02:34:30 PM »

Just within the past few months, I saw a picture of pineapple growing. It was so bizarre-looking that I had to Google to make sure that picture wasn't just a joke! I know pineapples grow, but I'd never given much thought to whether it was a tree or a vine, how they look when growing, etc.

I still remember how much fun it was on my driving trip down the coast highway in California. I stopped to look at the fields along the road, and discovered brussels sprouts and artichokes au naturel. Absolutely amazing! It was fun.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2652 on: April 25, 2014, 03:01:55 PM »

That's awesome!

Brussel sprouts really are a cool plant.  I grew some for a couple of years.  When you strip all the leaves off, it looks kind of like a spinal column.  But they are a lot of work to prep from the stalk and they don't do really well in my garden so I'm not going to bother any more.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #2653 on: April 25, 2014, 03:10:17 PM »
What I loved most about the brussels sprouts plant was the horizontal layers of wide, heavy leaves, overlapping.
http://www.sustainablegardener.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Brussels_sprout_plant.jpg

From the top, you couldn't see anything of what was below. Which I guess shields the buds from the sun and keeps them from turning bitter. Or, the leaves droop to shield them from the cold.

http://radishstew.blogspot.com/2011/01/brussels-sprouts.html

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #2654 on: April 25, 2014, 03:14:08 PM »
I'd expect a grownup to know that beef comes from cattle, eggs come from chickens, and anything that is a vegetable or fruit grows on something, even if they don't know exactly what a pineapple plant or avocado tree is like.

Banana trees look very weird to me.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."