Author Topic: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People  (Read 304885 times)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
Re: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People
« Reply #2655 on: April 25, 2014, 03:40:12 PM »
As for the "where food comes from" sometimes during conversations you find out you have no idea how peanuts grow or where semolina* comes from. If avocados grow on bushes or tree or something. Wikipedia is a blessing then  :P

*We must have not been thinking that time, but SO and I just couldn't remember how semolina grows ><. I'm pretty sure at one time I knew that it doesn't "grow", it's transformed from wheat, but for the life of me I couldn't make the connection.

Just within the past few months, I saw a picture of pineapple growing. It was so bizarre-looking that I had to Google to make sure that picture wasn't just a joke! I know pineapples grow, but I'd never given much thought to whether it was a tree or a vine, how they look when growing, etc.

They are so easy to grow! But strangers look for the pineapple stalk growing out of the center, so it is best to plant them in your rear yard or behind a fence. I need to grow some again.

I neglected to include instructions, but basically the leafy top of the pineapple is all that is needed to grow a new one. You cut that top off, plant it in good soil and water it. The plant is really pretty.

Yes, we have a banana tree and it dies every time it freezes then comes back. They do look a little weird.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 03:42:47 PM by ladyknight1 »

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2656 on: April 25, 2014, 04:16:20 PM »
What I loved most about the brussels sprouts plant was the horizontal layers of wide, heavy leaves, overlapping.
http://www.sustainablegardener.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Brussels_sprout_plant.jpg

From the top, you couldn't see anything of what was below. Which I guess shields the buds from the sun and keeps them from turning bitter. Or, the leaves droop to shield them from the cold.

http://radishstew.blogspot.com/2011/01/brussels-sprouts.html

One year LDH got rather adventurous when planting our garden. There were a couple of odd plants that we couldn't figure out what they were. (LDH forgot what all he planted ::) )

When I noticed little bumps forming on the stems I thought that maybe these plants were diseased and was going to pull them.

LDH took a look and jumped for joy "I know what they are! Now I remember what I planted!"

Yup. They were brussels sprouts.

I had never seen them on the stalks before and was quite fascinated. They were yummy, too.  ;D

Margo

« Reply #2657 on: April 25, 2014, 05:05:25 PM »
the not knowing where food comes from seems surprisingly common. My secretary's  husband is a gardener. He was taking care of a garden which included a vegetable patch, and noticed that the home owner's never seemed to harvest any pf the veg. So, he thought maybe they weren't sure about which things were in season/ripe, and offered to harvest a selection each time he was there, and leave them a box. They still didn't use any of the veg. He asked whether there was a problem, and the homeowner told him that she didn't want to eat any of it because it was all dirty . . . Apparently this lady could not be brought to believe that washing things such as carrots might be an option, of that the ones she bought at waitrose might have touched earth at some point before turning up clean and shiny in the supermarket..

He ended up turning the vegetable patch into flowerbeds.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #2658 on: April 25, 2014, 05:41:26 PM »
I think the strangest plants are truffles followed by peanuts. Saffron is also cultivated in a way not so different to how it's always been, which is why it's so expensive.

On a related note, it's interesting when you realise that a. lot of the foods from the New World which are ubiquitous in some cuisines. I'm talking about tomatoes, potatoes and corn. Sugar cane actually comes from South East Asia and made its way to the Romans who didn't really know what to do with it.

Frog24

« Reply #2659 on: April 25, 2014, 06:00:54 PM »
... hearing her mother delivering her brother...

I'd be traumatized for life.

When I was pregnant with #2, I worked right up until my due date.  By the end, the it was a little uncomfortable, so I would squirm sometimes while sitting.  Very near my due date, I was in a meeting with a female manager who had no kids.  Every time I adjusted my seating position, she looked at me frantically, as though I was going into labor.

I looked at her and kindly said: "I just want to let you know that every birthing scene you've ever seen in a movie is a lie.  Even if my water were to break right now, you would not be delivering my baby on this meeting room table."

She was VERY visibly relieved. 

greencat

« Reply #2660 on: April 25, 2014, 07:59:17 PM »
I had to tell my pregnant coworker about Braxton-Hicks contractions...I'm not sure why her doctor didn't tell her about them!

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2661 on: April 25, 2014, 08:08:18 PM »
the not knowing where food comes from seems surprisingly common. My secretary's  husband is a gardener. He was taking care of a garden which included a vegetable patch, and noticed that the home owner's never seemed to harvest any pf the veg. So, he thought maybe they weren't sure about which things were in season/ripe, and offered to harvest a selection each time he was there, and leave them a box. They still didn't use any of the veg. He asked whether there was a problem, and the homeowner told him that she didn't want to eat any of it because it was all dirty . . . Apparently this lady could not be brought to believe that washing things such as carrots might be an option, of that the ones she bought at waitrose might have touched earth at some point before turning up clean and shiny in the supermarket..

I wonder why ever they decided to have a vegetable patch in the first place. :D

BigBadBetty

« Reply #2662 on: April 26, 2014, 10:03:58 AM »
I am vegetarian. I don't know how many people I have had to explain that Jello is made from pig skin.

Margo

« Reply #2663 on: April 26, 2014, 10:15:50 AM »

I wonder why ever they decided to have a vegetable patch in the first place. :D

I suspect, from one or two other things I heard about them from other sources that they had some very idealised and rose-tinted thoughts about moving to live in the country, and obviously that had to include an AGA, and vegetable patch, and so forth. They were apparently also not happy to learn that if you want roses over the door, you are going to get spiders and such over the door, too. And dead leaves dropping on you.

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #2664 on: April 26, 2014, 10:38:41 AM »
I've posted this somewhere before, but apparently not on this thread.

I have run into people who thought that cotton and silk are artificial fibers. 

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #2665 on: April 26, 2014, 10:54:36 AM »
I suspect, from one or two other things I heard about them from other sources that they had some very idealised and rose-tinted thoughts about moving to live in the country, and obviously that had to include an AGA, and vegetable patch, and so forth. They were apparently also not happy to learn that if you want roses over the door, you are going to get spiders and such over the door, too. And dead leaves dropping on you.

Did they have a pig named Arnold?
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2666 on: April 26, 2014, 11:09:57 AM »
Peonies and wisteria!

The flowers look lovely when in bloom but people don't realize that ants love peonies and big bees love wisteria.  Cutting peonies from the back yard means you will almost certainly get ants in the house.  A trained wisteria bush looks wonderful over your front door and the bees can be seen as a sort of security system but, you have been warned. 

Tea Drinker

« Reply #2667 on: April 26, 2014, 11:26:35 AM »
Also, if you plant wisteria on a fence, it is likely to pull the fence out of the ground. Wisteria on the side of a building may pull the rain gutters away.

Gorgeous plants, and I love the way they smell, but I wouldn't plant one on anything that's structurally important. (This is in my hypothetical future home and yard.)
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

oz diva

• The Classics are SO last Century
« Reply #2668 on: April 26, 2014, 11:29:15 AM »
Well bees need all the help they can get, so plant away.

Victoria

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #2669 on: April 26, 2014, 12:03:30 PM »
I am vegetarian. I don't know how many people I have had to explain that Jello is made from pig skin.

Also bones and connective tissue.