News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• September 20, 2017, 02:44:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People  (Read 1169421 times)

Margo

Re: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People
« Reply #2655 on: April 26, 2014, 09:15:50 AM »
the not knowing where food comes from seems surprisingly common. My secretary's  husband is a gardener. He was taking care of a garden which included a vegetable patch, and noticed that the home owner's never seemed to harvest any pf the veg. So, he thought maybe they weren't sure about which things were in season/ripe, and offered to harvest a selection each time he was there, and leave them a box. They still didn't use any of the veg. He asked whether there was a problem, and the homeowner told him that she didn't want to eat any of it because it was all dirty . . . Apparently this lady could not be brought to believe that washing things such as carrots might be an option, of that the ones she bought at waitrose might have touched earth at some point before turning up clean and shiny in the supermarket..

He ended up turning the vegetable patch into flowerbeds.

I wonder why ever they decided to have a vegetable patch in the first place. :D

I suspect, from one or two other things I heard about them from other sources that they had some very idealised and rose-tinted thoughts about moving to live in the country, and obviously that had to include an AGA, and vegetable patch, and so forth. They were apparently also not happy to learn that if you want roses over the door, you are going to get spiders and such over the door, too. And dead leaves dropping on you.

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #2656 on: April 26, 2014, 09:38:41 AM »
I've posted this somewhere before, but apparently not on this thread.

I have run into people who thought that cotton and silk are artificial fibers. 

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

artk2002

• The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #2657 on: April 26, 2014, 09:54:36 AM »
I suspect, from one or two other things I heard about them from other sources that they had some very idealised and rose-tinted thoughts about moving to live in the country, and obviously that had to include an AGA, and vegetable patch, and so forth. They were apparently also not happy to learn that if you want roses over the door, you are going to get spiders and such over the door, too. And dead leaves dropping on you.

Did they have a pig named Arnold?
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Thipu1

« Reply #2658 on: April 26, 2014, 10:09:57 AM »
Peonies and wisteria!

The flowers look lovely when in bloom but people don't realize that ants love peonies and big bees love wisteria.  Cutting peonies from the back yard means you will almost certainly get ants in the house.  A trained wisteria bush looks wonderful over your front door and the bees can be seen as a sort of security system but, you have been warned. 

Tea Drinker

• Now part of Team Land Crab
« Reply #2659 on: April 26, 2014, 10:26:35 AM »
Also, if you plant wisteria on a fence, it is likely to pull the fence out of the ground. Wisteria on the side of a building may pull the rain gutters away.

Gorgeous plants, and I love the way they smell, but I wouldn't plant one on anything that's structurally important. (This is in my hypothetical future home and yard.)
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

oz diva

• The Classics are SO last Century
« Reply #2660 on: April 26, 2014, 10:29:15 AM »
Well bees need all the help they can get, so plant away.

Victoria

Harriet Jones

• Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #2661 on: April 26, 2014, 11:03:30 AM »
I am vegetarian. I don't know how many people I have had to explain that Jello is made from pig skin.

Also bones and connective tissue.

jpcher

« Reply #2662 on: April 26, 2014, 12:13:55 PM »

Did they have a pig named Arnold?

LOL!

(But Arnold was Mr. Ziffle's pig son, not the Douglas') ;)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 12:22:55 PM by jpcher »

Jocelyn

« Reply #2663 on: April 26, 2014, 12:27:33 PM »
Peonies and wisteria!

The flowers look lovely when in bloom but people don't realize that ants love peonies and big bees love wisteria.  Cutting peonies from the back yard means you will almost certainly get ants in the house.  A trained wisteria bush looks wonderful over your front door and the bees can be seen as a sort of security system but, you have been warned.
Ants are ESSENTIAL to peony buds turning into blooms- they nibble the buds open. So getting rid of all the ants on your peony bush is bound to lead to gardening disappointment. BTDT.

Jocelyn

« Reply #2664 on: April 26, 2014, 12:29:34 PM »
Tinkytinky,
That sort of thing really baffles me. Why will people argue that they know more about your life than you do? I have a friend who once had someone argue with her that her surname was European, not Asian, despite the fact he was talking to her very Asian face. Then he told her it must be her married name, and argued about it when she said, no, it was the family name of her birth family. He kept insisting that it was very peculiar that she was Asian, and had a surname from a European country, then. (FWIW, her surname is very typical of surnames of the Asian country from which her father immigrated!)
It wasn't a confusion between the indian surname "Khan" and the german surname "Kahn" was it?
Nothing so logical. He believed that the only nationality that used vowels to end a surname was located in Europe, therefore an Asian surname ending in a vowel was really European in origin.

jpcher

« Reply #2665 on: April 26, 2014, 01:29:30 PM »
Peonies and wisteria!

Ants are ESSENTIAL to peony buds turning into blooms- they nibble the buds open. So getting rid of all the ants on your peony bush is bound to lead to gardening disappointment. BTDT.

I never knew that. I know that my peonies were always full of ants, so I always gently washed the picked peonies under the garden hose before I brought them into the house . . . something that I didn't have to do with the roses or other flowers I grew way back when.

I always wondered why peonies were a specific attraction to ants.

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #2666 on: April 26, 2014, 01:56:05 PM »
(I've changed the name of the person & the organization, but it still fits the situation.)

I knew someone both of whose parents were immigrants to the US. He attended college in an area where people of that ethnicity were common, so his name would be automatically associated with that ethnicity by most. However, it was apparently not so associated by the president of the local branch of an ethnic heritage social organization, who personally invited my friend to join. My friend had to explain why Takahiro Okamoto was probably not eligible to join the Sons and Daughters of Ireland. It beings with "O" doesn't it?

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

Sirius

« Reply #2667 on: April 26, 2014, 02:34:42 PM »
All this talk about contraception makes me say, thank Deity for menopause.  That is all.

(I'm also well aware of the fact that a woman can get pregnant even when menopausal.)

Back to the story:  My mother had to explain to a (very naive) dog owner that even though her female elkhound was an adult and her male sheltie was only 5 months old, they could find a way.  The dog owner didn't listen, and they did find a way.  The resulting puppies were so ugly they were adorable.  This was back in the era when dogs and cats were neutered at 6 months.  One of my female cats came into heat when she was 4.5 months old, but since she was a strictly indoor cat who was living with two other neutered cats, I felt she was safe until I could get her spayed (She did, however, try to get my male cat's attention, but since he was neutered he had no interest whatsoever, except that she was interrupting his nap.)

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #2668 on: April 26, 2014, 02:40:51 PM »
(I've changed the name of the person & the organization, but it still fits the situation.)

I knew someone both of whose parents were immigrants to the US. He attended college in an area where people of that ethnicity were common, so his name would be automatically associated with that ethnicity by most. However, it was apparently not so associated by the president of the local branch of an ethnic heritage social organization, who personally invited my friend to join. My friend had to explain why Takahiro Okamoto was probably not eligible to join the Sons and Daughters of Ireland. It beings with "O" doesn't it?

A friend of mine worked in IT and was in charge of assigning temporary passwords to new employees.  She always like to have some fun with it and would assign things other than 'password'.  One new man was starting.  His name was John O'Smith.  She was going to assign him the password 'Leprechaun' but changed her mind at the last minute.  She met him a couple of days later.  Yup, he was Asian.  Several months later, when she'd gotten to know him better, she told him the story.  He thought it was hysterical and was quite disappointed that his first password wasn't 'Leprechaun'.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #2669 on: April 26, 2014, 04:19:39 PM »
I am vegetarian. I don't know how many people I have had to explain that Jello is made from pig skin.

Also bones and connective tissue.
There was an episode of QI which listed a lot of products that came from pigs. It was a long list.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 04:21:55 PM by Katana_Geldar »