Author Topic: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People  (Read 304957 times)

jpcher

• Super Hero!
Re: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People
« Reply #2670 on: April 26, 2014, 01:13:55 PM »
I suspect, from one or two other things I heard about them from other sources that they had some very idealised and rose-tinted thoughts about moving to live in the country, and obviously that had to include an AGA, and vegetable patch, and so forth. They were apparently also not happy to learn that if you want roses over the door, you are going to get spiders and such over the door, too. And dead leaves dropping on you.

Did they have a pig named Arnold?

LOL!

(But Arnold was Mr. Ziffle's pig son, not the Douglas') ;)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 01:22:55 PM by jpcher »

Jocelyn

« Reply #2671 on: April 26, 2014, 01:27:33 PM »
Peonies and wisteria!

The flowers look lovely when in bloom but people don't realize that ants love peonies and big bees love wisteria.  Cutting peonies from the back yard means you will almost certainly get ants in the house.  A trained wisteria bush looks wonderful over your front door and the bees can be seen as a sort of security system but, you have been warned.
Ants are ESSENTIAL to peony buds turning into blooms- they nibble the buds open. So getting rid of all the ants on your peony bush is bound to lead to gardening disappointment. BTDT.

Jocelyn

« Reply #2672 on: April 26, 2014, 01:29:34 PM »
Tinkytinky,
That sort of thing really baffles me. Why will people argue that they know more about your life than you do? I have a friend who once had someone argue with her that her surname was European, not Asian, despite the fact he was talking to her very Asian face. Then he told her it must be her married name, and argued about it when she said, no, it was the family name of her birth family. He kept insisting that it was very peculiar that she was Asian, and had a surname from a European country, then. (FWIW, her surname is very typical of surnames of the Asian country from which her father immigrated!)
It wasn't a confusion between the indian surname "Khan" and the german surname "Kahn" was it?
Nothing so logical. He believed that the only nationality that used vowels to end a surname was located in Europe, therefore an Asian surname ending in a vowel was really European in origin.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2673 on: April 26, 2014, 02:29:30 PM »
Peonies and wisteria!

The flowers look lovely when in bloom but people don't realize that ants love peonies and big bees love wisteria.  Cutting peonies from the back yard means you will almost certainly get ants in the house.  A trained wisteria bush looks wonderful over your front door and the bees can be seen as a sort of security system but, you have been warned.
Ants are ESSENTIAL to peony buds turning into blooms- they nibble the buds open. So getting rid of all the ants on your peony bush is bound to lead to gardening disappointment. BTDT.

I never knew that. I know that my peonies were always full of ants, so I always gently washed the picked peonies under the garden hose before I brought them into the house . . . something that I didn't have to do with the roses or other flowers I grew way back when.

I always wondered why peonies were a specific attraction to ants.

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #2674 on: April 26, 2014, 02:56:05 PM »
(I've changed the name of the person & the organization, but it still fits the situation.)

I knew someone both of whose parents were immigrants to the US. He attended college in an area where people of that ethnicity were common, so his name would be automatically associated with that ethnicity by most. However, it was apparently not so associated by the president of the local branch of an ethnic heritage social organization, who personally invited my friend to join. My friend had to explain why Takahiro Okamoto was probably not eligible to join the Sons and Daughters of Ireland. It beings with "O" doesn't it?

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #2675 on: April 26, 2014, 03:34:42 PM »
All this talk about contraception makes me say, thank Deity for menopause.  That is all.

(I'm also well aware of the fact that a woman can get pregnant even when menopausal.)

Back to the story:  My mother had to explain to a (very naive) dog owner that even though her female elkhound was an adult and her male sheltie was only 5 months old, they could find a way.  The dog owner didn't listen, and they did find a way.  The resulting puppies were so ugly they were adorable.  This was back in the era when dogs and cats were neutered at 6 months.  One of my female cats came into heat when she was 4.5 months old, but since she was a strictly indoor cat who was living with two other neutered cats, I felt she was safe until I could get her spayed (She did, however, try to get my male cat's attention, but since he was neutered he had no interest whatsoever, except that she was interrupting his nap.)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2676 on: April 26, 2014, 03:40:51 PM »
(I've changed the name of the person & the organization, but it still fits the situation.)

I knew someone both of whose parents were immigrants to the US. He attended college in an area where people of that ethnicity were common, so his name would be automatically associated with that ethnicity by most. However, it was apparently not so associated by the president of the local branch of an ethnic heritage social organization, who personally invited my friend to join. My friend had to explain why Takahiro Okamoto was probably not eligible to join the Sons and Daughters of Ireland. It beings with "O" doesn't it?

A friend of mine worked in IT and was in charge of assigning temporary passwords to new employees.  She always like to have some fun with it and would assign things other than 'password'.  One new man was starting.  His name was John O'Smith.  She was going to assign him the password 'Leprechaun' but changed her mind at the last minute.  She met him a couple of days later.  Yup, he was Asian.  Several months later, when she'd gotten to know him better, she told him the story.  He thought it was hysterical and was quite disappointed that his first password wasn't 'Leprechaun'.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #2677 on: April 26, 2014, 05:19:39 PM »
I am vegetarian. I don't know how many people I have had to explain that Jello is made from pig skin.

Also bones and connective tissue.
There was an episode of QI which listed a lot of products that came from pigs. It was a long list.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 05:21:55 PM by Katana_Geldar »

z_squared82

« Reply #2678 on: April 26, 2014, 07:29:56 PM »
I am vegetarian. I don't know how many people I have had to explain that Jello is made from pig skin.

Also bones and connective tissue.
There was an episode of QI which listed a lot of products that came from pigs. It was a long list.

I didn't know until I was making a dessert for Neuman Center (Catholic campus ministry) dinner and was specifically asked if it involved marshmallows. The speaker that week was one of the Muslim professors on campus. That's when I learned that marshmallows (and jello and other gelatin products) weren't halal. And thus, also not vegetarian.

Katana_Geldar

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #2680 on: April 26, 2014, 08:54:44 PM »
Tinkytinky,
That sort of thing really baffles me. Why will people argue that they know more about your life than you do? I have a friend who once had someone argue with her that her surname was European, not Asian, despite the fact he was talking to her very Asian face. Then he told her it must be her married name, and argued about it when she said, no, it was the family name of her birth family. He kept insisting that it was very peculiar that she was Asian, and had a surname from a European country, then. (FWIW, her surname is very typical of surnames of the Asian country from which her father immigrated!)
It wasn't a confusion between the indian surname "Khan" and the german surname "Kahn" was it?
Nothing so logical. He believed that the only nationality that used vowels to end a surname was located in Europe, therefore an Asian surname ending in a vowel was really European in origin.

...Wow. He's obviously never paid even a moment's attention to actually confirming his belief with facts, has he?! I mean, almost ALL Japanese surnames end in vowels, because the only consonant that can end a syllable in Japanese is N... so you get names like Takahashi, Tanaka, Fujii, Inoue, and so on ad infinitum. (Wanders off muttering about linguistics.)
"Set aphasia to stun!"

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #2681 on: April 27, 2014, 03:16:52 AM »

Pig skin specifically?

I know, but tend to forget, that gelatin is animal connective tissue. The only reason I know is because when DH & I make homemade marshmallows, our vegetarian friends can't eat them.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #2682 on: April 27, 2014, 06:08:03 AM »

Pig skin specifically?

I know, but tend to forget, that gelatin is animal connective tissue. The only reason I know is because when DH & I make homemade marshmallows, our vegetarian friends can't eat them.
This is correct.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gelatin

Medicine capsules are made from pig skin.

Jocelyn

« Reply #2683 on: April 27, 2014, 11:19:17 AM »
(She did, however, try to get my male cat's attention, but since he was neutered he had no interest whatsoever, except that she was interrupting his nap.)
Several years ago, I took in a litter of feral kittens to socialize them. My alpha male was neutered, but took on a paternal interest in training the kittens up in the ways they should go. But after they hit puberty... Everyone has been neutered for years now, but still, sometimes, the males will get an INTERESTED look on their face. Benedict was neutered as a kitten, before meeting a female, but about once a year I will find him pinning down one of the girls, mainly because the girlcat starts hollering for help. He always has a very confused look on his face, because while he could obviously have learned this maneuver from watching the post-pubertal kittens years ago, what happens next continues to elude him.

PeterM

« Reply #2684 on: April 27, 2014, 09:01:35 PM »

A vegan friend told me that it's possible to make vegan marshmallows, but expensive. I think that's how they always used to be made, but someone figured out that gelatin is easier and cheaper.