Author Topic: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People  (Read 301000 times)

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
Re: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People
« Reply #2685 on: April 27, 2014, 10:55:50 PM »
(I've changed the name of the person & the organization, but it still fits the situation.)

I knew someone both of whose parents were immigrants to the US. He attended college in an area where people of that ethnicity were common, so his name would be automatically associated with that ethnicity by most. However, it was apparently not so associated by the president of the local branch of an ethnic heritage social organization, who personally invited my friend to join. My friend had to explain why Takahiro Okamoto was probably not eligible to join the Sons and Daughters of Ireland. It beings with "O" doesn't it?

I knew a guy whose last name was Ohara. He was tall, skinny, and looked very Irish. He spent a lot of time correcting the pronunciation - it was oh-har-RAH. His paternal grandfather was Japanese.
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult); Zuul (F); Magpie (M); Balrog (M); Nazgul (F)

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2686 on: April 27, 2014, 11:30:32 PM »
I know, but tend to forget, that gelatin is animal connective tissue. The only reason I know is because when DH & I make homemade marshmallows, our vegetarian friends can't eat them.

A vegan friend told me that it's possible to make vegan marshmallows, but expensive. I think that's how they always used to be made, but someone figured out that gelatin is easier and cheaper.
Yep.  Roots of the Marsh Mallow plant (Anthea officinalis.)
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #2687 on: April 28, 2014, 12:25:17 AM »
Peonies and wisteria!

The flowers look lovely when in bloom but people don't realize that ants love peonies and big bees love wisteria.  Cutting peonies from the back yard means you will almost certainly get ants in the house.  A trained wisteria bush looks wonderful over your front door and the bees can be seen as a sort of security system but, you have been warned.
Ants are ESSENTIAL to peony buds turning into blooms- they nibble the buds open. So getting rid of all the ants on your peony bush is bound to lead to gardening disappointment. BTDT.

When my dad was a kid, he and one of his brothers thought they'd be helpful.  They'd noticed that their mother's beloved peony bush was covered with beetles (maybe it was ants, but this is how he tells the story), so they picked every single one of them off.  Then they proudly told their mother what they'd done.  They were so disappointed to realize that they'd actually ruined things for the peony bush by picking off the crucial bugs.  Oops.

Speaking of bees, we have a beehive under our shed, we think.  We have *tons* of bees buzzing around.  Huge, giant bumblebees.  We're very pleased, as we have big garden plans this year.  The only difficulty is that I think the bees can't get through bird netting because they're so big.  So I've been trying to peel back the bird netting on our strawberry plants (they're in flower already) so the bees can have access during the day, but put the netting back for the night to keep the deer and such out.  I'm pleased to think that we might be helping the bee population by letting them keep their hive and enjoy our yard/flowers.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #2688 on: April 28, 2014, 08:59:37 AM »
Peonies and wisteria!

The flowers look lovely when in bloom but people don't realize that ants love peonies and big bees love wisteria.  Cutting peonies from the back yard means you will almost certainly get ants in the house.  A trained wisteria bush looks wonderful over your front door and the bees can be seen as a sort of security system but, you have been warned.
Ants are ESSENTIAL to peony buds turning into blooms- they nibble the buds open. So getting rid of all the ants on your peony bush is bound to lead to gardening disappointment. BTDT.

When my dad was a kid, he and one of his brothers thought they'd be helpful.  They'd noticed that their mother's beloved peony bush was covered with beetles (maybe it was ants, but this is how he tells the story), so they picked every single one of them off.  Then they proudly told their mother what they'd done.  They were so disappointed to realize that they'd actually ruined things for the peony bush by picking off the crucial bugs.  Oops.

Speaking of bees, we have a beehive under our shed, we think.  We have *tons* of bees buzzing around.  Huge, giant bumblebees.  We're very pleased, as we have big garden plans this year.  The only difficulty is that I think the bees can't get through bird netting because they're so big.  So I've been trying to peel back the bird netting on our strawberry plants (they're in flower already) so the bees can have access during the day, but put the netting back for the night to keep the deer and such out.  I'm pleased to think that we might be helping the bee population by letting them keep their hive and enjoy our yard/flowers.

Those sound like carpenter bees if they are the big fat ones.  Do you have a lot of wood or wooden structures in your yard? 

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #2689 on: April 28, 2014, 10:57:27 PM »
Peonies and wisteria!

Those sound like carpenter bees if they are the big fat ones.  Do you have a lot of wood or wooden structures in your yard?

They appear to live in or under our shed, which is wood, so I guess if they're carpenter bees, that's their wood source?  Looking at the pictures, I'm not sure.  I wouldn't say they look quite like the picture, but there seems to be a lot of variety, so it's hard to say.  I haven't seen any damage on the shed, and I can't tell exactly where they're coming/going from, just that there is definitely a focus of activity around the shed.  It's a pretty old pathetic shed, so not the end of the world if they damage it a bit, as long as they pollinate my flowers... maybe?  :)

PastryGoddess

« Reply #2690 on: April 29, 2014, 12:30:11 AM »
Look around for little piles of sawdust.  If you see those then they are probably carpenter bees.  They are a bit territorial, but not aggressive.  So they'll buzz around you if you go and investigate, but don't attack.  Although I wouldn't wear bright colors to investigate because then they might think you're a flower :D

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2691 on: April 29, 2014, 02:57:00 PM »
Look around for little piles of sawdust.  If you see those then they are probably carpenter bees.  They are a bit territorial, but not aggressive.  So they'll buzz around you if you go and investigate, but don't attack.  Although I wouldn't wear bright colors to investigate because then they might think you're a flower :D
If they look like they're the size of your thumb and very furry, they're probably bumblebees.
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

JoW

« Reply #2692 on: April 29, 2014, 10:50:30 PM »
Thunder is caused by lightning.

My health club closes the pools and hot tubs when lightning is seen.  Today they had the ladies' locker room attendant walk around the outside edge of the lap pool, looking out the window for lighting during my water aerobics class.  Apparently someone thought they heard thunder and they were concerned about lightning.

The attendant is really nice and we were chatting in the locker room before I left the club and she said something to the effect that you don't need to have lightning to get thunder.  I explained the science to her and she was  amazed. 

The locker room attendant is, I'm guessing 50-60 years old.  Her adult daughter works the club, too. 

greencat

« Reply #2693 on: April 30, 2014, 12:02:15 AM »

My health club closes the pools and hot tubs when lightning is seen.  Today they had the ladies' locker room attendant walk around the outside edge of the lap pool, looking out the window for lighting during my water aerobics class.  Apparently someone thought they heard thunder and they were concerned about lightning.

The attendant is really nice and we were chatting in the locker room before I left the club and she said something to the effect that you don't need to have lightning to get thunder.  I explained the science to her and she was  amazed. 

The locker room attendant is, I'm guessing 50-60 years old.  Her adult daughter works the club, too.

I used to work a lot of summer camps - Florida is the top state for lightning and you'd be amazed at how many people argued about the regulations we had to follow regarding getting the kids out of the pool during storms. 

PastryGoddess

« Reply #2694 on: April 30, 2014, 04:34:38 AM »
If they look like they're the size of your thumb and very furry, they're probably bumblebees.
I think we might be talking about the same thing.  I tend to do that sometimes.  :)  Bumblebees are also very friendly

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #2695 on: April 30, 2014, 06:29:13 AM »

on the flip side - that "heat lightening" is regular lightening but so far away that the sound of the thunder doesn't reach you. They don't close the pools here unless you can hear the thunder otherwise the pools would stay closed most of the summer.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2696 on: April 30, 2014, 08:06:47 AM »
As to thunder and lightning.

I once told a co-worker about telling how far away a storm is by counting the gap between seeing lightning and hearing thunder. 

She thought it was interesting but, in her words, 'That still doesn't tell me in what direction the storm is coming from'.   :-\

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2697 on: April 30, 2014, 09:24:30 AM »
I was playing a ball game last summer and was very vocal that we should be cancelling the game.  No one was listening to me.  I was *this close* to walking off the field but my team would have had to forfeit the game if I did.

Not only could I see lightening and hear the thunder but all the girls with fine hair?  It was standing on end.

I was livid.  Whenever I wasn't on the field, I was in lightning position - crouched on the ground with just the balls of my feet touching the ground.  Everyone thought I was a little strange but a guy I worked with was killed by a lightening stike.  It makes me very nervous, now.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

missanpan

« Reply #2698 on: April 30, 2014, 10:59:39 AM »
I think we might be talking about the same thing.  I tend to do that sometimes.  :)  Bumblebees are also very friendly

Once, when I went out on my driveway, I heard a loud buzzing sound. I looked over to where some irises were growing and saw a large black bumblebee. It flew towards me and hovered a few feet from my face. I think it was checking me out. Until that time, I never knew bumblebees came in colors other than black and yellow. I thought was very cute.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2699 on: April 30, 2014, 11:40:19 AM »
I was playing a ball game last summer and was very vocal that we should be cancelling the game.  No one was listening to me.  I was *this close* to walking off the field but my team would have had to forfeit the game if I did.

Not only could I see lightening and hear the thunder but all the girls with fine hair?  It was standing on end.

I was livid.  Whenever I wasn't on the field, I was in lightning position - crouched on the ground with just the balls of my feet touching the ground.  Everyone thought I was a little strange but a guy I worked with was killed by a lightening stike.  It makes me very nervous, now.

SIL once told us about a round of golf she and some friends were playing in iffy weather.  She laughingly mentioned that the hair on the back of her neck started standing up. 

She thought that was cool.  We thought it was one of the scariest things she ever told us.