Author Topic: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People  (Read 300977 times)

JoW

Re: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People
« Reply #2700 on: April 30, 2014, 09:13:02 PM »
I used to work a lot of summer camps - Florida is the top state for lightning and you'd be amazed at how many people argued about the regulations we had to follow regarding getting the kids out of the pool during storms.
My club gets similar argements from people who want to use the pools or the hot tub during a storm.  The pools are closed after some sees a lighning bolt.  From the 2nd floor window that's probably no more than 10 miles away.  I'm in Torado Alley, which adds another layer of danger to thunderstorms. 

Anyone who doubts the power of lighing needs to watch the MythBusters episode about lightning.  They "killed" Buster the crash test dummy by electrocuting him while he was golfing and they electrified a shower head. 

katycoo

As to thunder and lightning.

I once told a co-worker about telling how far away a storm is by counting the gap between seeing lightning and hearing thunder. 

She thought it was interesting but, in her words, 'That still doesn't tell me in what direction the storm is coming from'.   :-\

Maybe she meant what direction its heading?  Seeing a storm in the distance doesn't always tell you whether its passing or coming over if its moving slowly.

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
Yeah, but if you keep counting to check the distance it doesn't take long to work out if it's coming closer or not.

Figgie

Our early thunderstorm warning system is Mikey our cat.  He has extremely sensitive ears and can hear thunder long before we can.  He goes into a belly crawl and hides underneath furniture the second he hears thunder.

He doesn't hide for anything but thunder (he is a very extroverted, social cat).  But we know that a thunderstorm is coming at least 30 minutes before we can hear or see anything. :)

Jocelyn

The attendant is really nice and we were chatting in the locker room before I left the club and she said something to the effect that you don't need to have lightning to get thunder.  I explained the science to her and she was  amazed. 

There are devices, made for swimming pools, that measure lightening strikes. I'd grown up with outdoor pools, and it made sense to me that if lightening is in the area, it COULD land in the pool. But the indoor pool where I swam regularly a few years ago was very strict about clearing the pool whenever the meter went off, which didn't seem logical to me. I asked, and learned something new about lightening...when it strikes the ground it will be 'grounded' by traveling underground until it dissipates. Unless there is an inground pool nearby, in which case the path of least resistance is to pass through the walls of the pool into the water. Apparently the pool manager had been in the pool one day when lightening hit the ground outside, and the experience was truly memorable, so that she made her staff clear the pool at the first alarm, even though the alarm could be triggered by lightening so far off we couldn't see it.

JoW

...... lightening...when it strikes the ground it will be 'grounded' by traveling underground until it dissipates. Unless there is an inground pool nearby, in which case the path of least resistance is to pass through the walls of the pool into the water. .........
My club is associated with a hospital.  Quiet a few members have cardiac issues.  For those people lightning is especially dangerous. 

Syfygeek

Peonies and wisteria!

The flowers look lovely when in bloom but people don't realize that ants love peonies and big bees love wisteria.  Cutting peonies from the back yard means you will almost certainly get ants in the house.  A trained wisteria bush looks wonderful over your front door and the bees can be seen as a sort of security system but, you have been warned.
Ants are ESSENTIAL to peony buds turning into blooms- they nibble the buds open. So getting rid of all the ants on your peony bush is bound to lead to gardening disappointment. BTDT.

I was at a cocktail party a donor hosted for us last night. Fabulous tree peonies blooming. The hostess was telling me about the flowers, and asked if I knew about the ants. Thanks to Ehell, I did know about the ants! She was amazed that I knew that, and I told her I had just learned from an internet forum I spend way too much time on. I always knew Ehell would come in handy for work situations, but who knew ants would break the ice with a hostess I'd only met once before! :)
That's my purse! I don't know you!

GreenHall

I was playing a ball game last summer and was very vocal that we should be cancelling the game.  No one was listening to me.  I was *this close* to walking off the field but my team would have had to forfeit the game if I did.

Not only could I see lightening and hear the thunder but all the girls with fine hair?  It was standing on end.

I was livid.  Whenever I wasn't on the field, I was in lightning position - crouched on the ground with just the balls of my feet touching the ground.  Everyone thought I was a little strange but a guy I worked with was killed by a lightening stike.  It makes me very nervous, now.
I hope the universe isn't trying to tell me something.  I saw this Wednesday, and on Thursday, other random internet life let me to an image of someone doing the same thing.  WHile it's good knowledge to have, with all the rain we're having it's making me a little nervous that the universe decided I needed detailed knowledge of this.  (Also, while maybe hair-raising would help me focus, I'm not sure how long I could stay in that position, really.)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
By the way, a heart stopped from a lightning strike is one of the few conditions where CPR may actually restart the heart, rather than just keep the person alive until EMS can get there with a defibrilator.  (Just finished a First Aid course.)
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
Yes, the chest compressions work to circulate the blood and can help to start the heart. I teach wilderness first aid.

MrTango

Buffalo Wild Wings restaurants have a promotion where they bring out "Limited-Time" sauces.  Every month or two, the sauce changes to something new.  Some of them are great, some not so great.

The issue is that they refer to the promotion as the "Sauce Lab" and they try to be clever by using elemental symbols for the sauces.

One sauce a couple months ago was "The Big Easy."  They so cleverly decided to use "Be" as the symbol for the sauce.  The current sauce is "Honey Ginger," and the symbol being used is "Hg".

I mentioned to the store manager that they might want to reconsider using the atomic symbols for Beryllium and Mercury for their food products.   ::)

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
Buffalo Wild Wings restaurants have a promotion where they bring out "Limited-Time" sauces.  Every month or two, the sauce changes to something new.  Some of them are great, some not so great.

The issue is that they refer to the promotion as the "Sauce Lab" and they try to be clever by using elemental symbols for the sauces.

One sauce a couple months ago was "The Big Easy."  They so cleverly decided to use "Be" as the symbol for the sauce.  The current sauce is "Honey Ginger," and the symbol being used is "Hg".

I mentioned to the store manager that they might want to reconsider using the atomic symbols for Beryllium and Mercury for their food products.   ::)

They probably did it on purpose!  :) Everybody knows it's not really beryllium and mercury in there, and yet most people will probably vaguely recognize them as real elemental symbols, so it'll come off as "sciencey." And looking at the bottles online, the real name is in almost as big a font as the symbol.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
By the way, a heart stopped from a lightning strike is one of the few conditions where CPR may actually restart the heart, rather than just keep the person alive until EMS can get there with a defibrilator.  (Just finished a First Aid course.)

Another interesting bit of trivia... Mary Anning, who is credited with finding several significant fossils and really kick-starting paleontology, was supposedly struck by lightning as a baby.  She was being held by a woman, who was standing with several other women (I believe under a tree?).  Lightning struck and all three women were killed, but little baby Mary survived.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
My sister was hit by a "side flash" from a lightening strike. It hit a tree near by while she and others were running to class at university. The only people knocked to the ground/knocked out all were carrying umbrellas with metal rods.

People in my family now use ponchos not umbrellas.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
My sister was hit by a "side flash" from a lightening strike. It hit a tree near by while she and others were running to class at university. The only people knocked to the ground/knocked out all were carrying umbrellas with metal rods.

People in my family now use ponchos not umbrellas.

We used to take a lot of field trips with our local college.  One of the requirements was that every participant had to have a rain jacket with a hood.  No umbrellas allowed, ever.