Author Topic: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People  (Read 301463 times)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
Years ago, there was an article in the Toronto Star with the columnist working with a well known chef.

They were making a rabbit dish.  And started with a live rabbit.

The comments on that article were insane.  The shock, the outrage, the 'how could you write about this in the newspaper' - almost all were from the omnivores.  The veg*ns?  'At least you experienced where your food comes from, if you chose to eat meat.  Bravo!' type comments.

I'd love to have some chickens for the eggs and meat but it's not allowed in the city limits.  Some day...
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

sempronialou

• semper ubi sub ubi
Ants are ESSENTIAL to peony buds turning into blooms- they nibble the buds open. So getting rid of all the ants on your peony bush is bound to lead to gardening disappointment. BTDT.

That's not true.  That's an old wives tale.  Ants are not essential for peony plants to bloom.  The ants are attracted to the peonies and take advantage of the sugar, water, and amino acids.  They may drive off pests that might nibble at the buds.  So if your peonies do not have ants, they'd still bloom.  Ants have nothing to do with it. 

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
I did a craft fair this weekend, and two of the products I had out were lotions in 4 oz bottles and lotions in 1.7 oz jars.  Obviously, they were two different prices, with the 4 oz lotions being the more expensive.  I had someone come up to my booth, look at both sizes of lotion, look at my pricing sheet and ask me in all seriousness if the 1.7 oz lotions were the larger size that was listed at $5.  ???  I said, "Nope, the 4 oz lotions are the larger ones that are $5".  She replied "Ohhhhh!" as though experiencing a revolution in thought.  I was dumbfounded.  I thought all those stories on Not Always Right about people who don't know the difference in sizes of things were made up!

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog

...  "So you're just going to let them live outside in the sunshine, and walk around the yard, and play outside, and then you're going to kill them and eat them?  That's inhumane!"  ...

This is not my quote and unfortunately I don't remember the name of the guy who said it, but it goes something along the lines of this:

The animals lived a wonderful, carefree life with the best quality food, normal social interaction within the species, plenty of water, fresh air and sunshine and no predators to avoid. 

And then they had one very bad day.

And if its a large animal on my cousin's farm, it doesn't even have a bad day... just one day it gets roaring all down drunk and doesn't ever get back up. (He feeds buckets of beer to cows, pigs and sheep he's going to slaughter.)

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
I love that quote, Gramma Dishes!  :)  That's great.

Kimblee, I love the idea of getting them drunk!  That's so funny.

Lady Knight, that sounds like a great retirement plan!  We recently found out about "mini cows," and now we really want one.  :)  I told my husband that maybe our next location, especially if we end up in a part of the country where land is cheap, we should try for a small farm.  He really wants the pig, I really want the cow.  My 7-year-old *desperately* wants a cow and promises to feed it, milk it, muck its stall, compost its manure, etc. if I will only buy her a cow.  :)  She's determined to be a farmer when she grows up.  She wants all the animals plus the land to farm.

My dad says our backyard looks like a farm, between the chickens and the extensive garden beds, latticework and teepee for peas, etc.  And we're lucky enough to have woods and a creek just behind.  Sometimes I wish I were one of my kids, I'd love to grow up that way.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
Me too. I was never meant to live in the city.

We will most likely have a few horses, two cows, two pigs, 10-20 chickens, and possibly goats. Two planted acres, and one acre orchard.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store

We will most likely have a few horses, two cows, two pigs, 10-20 chickens, and possibly goats. Two planted acres, and one acre orchard.

This is all so interesting.  I am such a city girl, it's not even funny

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.

You & me both. Although I would like to have beehives - DH is on board in spite of being allergic, the goof - and we go back & forth on chickens. We'd love to have the eggs, but not sure if we want to actually care for chickens. So we'll just stick with buying those.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Mad Goat Woman

• formerly Hamlet: The Original Emo
    • Mad Goat Woman
I love that quote, Gramma Dishes!  :)  That's great.

Kimblee, I love the idea of getting them drunk!  That's so funny.

Lady Knight, that sounds like a great retirement plan!  We recently found out about "mini cows," and now we really want one.  :)  I told my husband that maybe our next location, especially if we end up in a part of the country where land is cheap, we should try for a small farm.  He really wants the pig, I really want the cow.  My 7-year-old *desperately* wants a cow and promises to feed it, milk it, muck its stall, compost its manure, etc. if I will only buy her a cow.  :)  She's determined to be a farmer when she grows up.  She wants all the animals plus the land to farm.

My dad says our backyard looks like a farm, between the chickens and the extensive garden beds, latticework and teepee for peas, etc.  And we're lucky enough to have woods and a creek just behind.  Sometimes I wish I were one of my kids, I'd love to grow up that way.
(Bolding mine)
Your DD would be better with a goat to learn to milk on. There's only two teats, as opposed to four. Less chance of being maimed by the animal, too, especially if the cow is a kicking type. :)

Captains Flat, Australia

Elisabunny

You & me both. Although I would like to have beehives - DH is on board in spite of being allergic, the goof - and we go back & forth on chickens. We'd love to have the eggs, but not sure if we want to actually care for chickens. So we'll just stick with buying those.

What you do is get a neighbor who loves chickens and wants more than they have need for eggs.
You must remember this: a ghoti is still a fish...

Katana_Geldar

One year I went to an agricultural show and went in the Ingham tent, they sell chicken. I was rather disturbed by the fact that the little baby chicks were just in sight of the cold cabinet of chicken.

Shea

(She did, however, try to get my male cat's attention, but since he was neutered he had no interest whatsoever, except that she was interrupting his nap.)
Several years ago, I took in a litter of feral kittens to socialize them. My alpha male was neutered, but took on a paternal interest in training the kittens up in the ways they should go. But after they hit puberty... Everyone has been neutered for years now, but still, sometimes, the males will get an INTERESTED look on their face. Benedict was neutered as a kitten, before meeting a female, but about once a year I will find him pinning down one of the girls, mainly because the girlcat starts hollering for help. He always has a very confused look on his face, because while he could obviously have learned this maneuver from watching the post-pubertal kittens years ago, what happens next continues to elude him.

Haha! I knew a horse that did something similar. He was a very elderly (25+) gelding (a neutered male horse), but he hadn't been gelded until he was 4 or 5, which was unusual since it's normal to geld a colt before the age of one year. So this sweet old fellow had some dim memories of being a stallion, and he acted on this by having a small harem of mares who he jealously guarded from the other geldings, none of whom could possibly have cared less. He wasn't quite sure what to do with them, there was just something back there in the dusty corners of his memory telling him he really needed a collection of mares.

If a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, librarians are a global threat.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
lol at the gelding and his collection of mares!  :)

Chickens are easy to take care of, jedikaiti.  :)  Most of the effort goes into fixing up a coop and chicken run, and there's a bit more required when they're little babies and need to be inside.  Still *way* less than most other animals.  Once they're big enough to go outside (and you can just start with bigger ones, look on craigslist), they're really easy, very low maintenance.  And yum for fresh eggs.  :)

I'd like to do beekeeping, too, but we actually have a hive somewhere, I think, as I've seen a lot of bees about.  So, no honey for me, but at least plenty of bees to help pollinate all our plants.  :)

Luci

• Super Hero!
Would someone please tell me why when I was 7 I helped my grandmother head, gut, pluck chickens, and now at 69 can not look at a whole hen or Thanksgiving turkey without getting upset? Helped my dad skin rabbits and squirrels, too.

Not a vegetarian, but at this point I would have to be mighty hungry to catch a rabbit or bird and dress and cook it.

Minmom3

Fluffy bacon-fed knave pomeranians don't bother me at all and I seldom have any issues with Labs,  German Shepherds, or chihuahuas.

Bacon fed pomeranian? That must be one happy pup :)

Actually (in all seriousness) more likely to have pancreatitis and be miserable.  [We had a woman bring her under 1 year old MinPin in the hospital with bad vomiting and diarrhea.  After much questioning, it turned out when the Dr told her '2 small pieces of lean meat, and held his fingers to show a size about 1" by 0.5" by 0.5" ', SHE took that to mean 2 full rashers of bacon a day would be fine....  $1000 later, she learned just how wrong she was.

I wish I could remember which phrase is it that the filter substitutes with Bacon Fed Knave...  Makes a funny sentence!
Mother to children and fuzz butts....