Author Topic: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People  (Read 300711 times)

Louie_LI

That reminds me of when I finally got the joke in the line "Silly English k-niggets" from Holy Grail:)

:) Of course, in Middle English, it WAS pronounced "k-nick-t" so not only did you get the joke, you got a taste of linguistic history, too. But don't worry, it's just a flesh wound.

Hah! Well played!

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
DH loaned our carpet cleaner to some friends and, apparently, they needed to be told that you have to 1) vacuum first, and 2) wash everything out when you're finished. It took literally an hour to clean all the clumps of filthy dog hair out of the thing. I had a huge handful of it when I was finished. Think about how a handful of dry pet hair, if wetted, will amount to a tablespoon or so of gunk. Imagine how much hair must have been clogging up the cleaner to amount to a handful while wet and squished. And so dirty it was like mud. I was... displeased.

Oh, and it had sat in our garage for a week after they returned it (we had no clue it was dirty) so when I brought it inside to use today bugs flew out of it. Bugs, you guys. Did I mention I took it apart with a screwdriver and cleaned every nook and cranny? Because bugs. I'm just glad I woke up this morning and thought "Hey, I should clean the carpets!" because if it had sat like that for another week+ I probably would have had to throw it away.

Their house is really clean and they're truly very considerate people. I don't know what happened but we won't be loaning them any appliances ever again.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 10:20:59 PM by JenJay »

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
DD got a new Rainbow floor cleaning system.  She takes after her paternal grandmother, who is a little OCD and her maternal grandfather, who comes from German stock (things must be clean in a house for both of them).

The demonstrator used her vacuum cleaner to clean the carpet - then used the Rainbow.

Which clearly pulled even more gunk out of the carpet than her previous machine (Kirby) had.

I vacuumed a couple of times while I stayed with them and did some spot cleaning with the steam cleaner attachments.  There was a lot of tiny bits of sand, gravel, pet hair, cat whiskers, muddy dust, and I don't know what else pulled out of the carpet (they bought the house in 2007 and have been living in it for seven years - she does tend to vacuum but not nearly as often as "Grandma" - who used to vacuum twice a day because she didn't like footprints in the carpet, they didn't look clean with footprints).

Grandma is now 80 and the house is vacuumed a couple of times a week instead of a couple of times a day...

I made sure to clean the tank immediately as it sets up as an air purifier to get airborne dust out of the way - allergies run in the family, too, not just tendencies to OCD.  I did not need any allergy meds as long as I stayed inside the house for five weeks...

Having a clear plastic tank that you can see into does make it very clear that the tank needs to be emptied.  My own Bissell is inside two layers of green plastic and the used steam cleaning mix cannot be seen at all.  But if you don't empty it, you can smell it fairly quickly...Houston is warm and things grow quickly...
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 01:21:15 PM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

JoW

I was almost going to say in this thread that I wonder how anyone with two brain cells cannot understand where food comes, even without being told it. I never remember being told, it was so clear, we would eat chicken and pig and so on, and you know they are animals too. But then I started to wonder the English language, and how there is beef and pork and so on. I'm not a native speaker, but I've understood that these terms are usually used about meat, not really as "oh, there is the pork walking around, saying oink". So maybe it's not as clear if your mother says it's going to be pork today compared to if she would say it's going to be pig today.......   

I happen to know the answer to that one.  I learned it in a history class decades ago.

It dates to the days when the Normans (French) ruled part of England.  Google says that was the 11th century.  The native Anglo-Saxon raised pigs, and cattle, and chickens.  The French ruling class ate porc, boef, and poulet.  (I probably mangled the French spellings.)  And that led to the English words pork, beef, and poultry. 

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
DD got a new Rainbow floor cleaning system.  She takes after her paternal grandmother, who is a little OCD and her maternal grandfather, who comes from German stock (things must be CLEAN in a house for both of them).

The demonstrator used her vacuum cleaner to clean the carpet - then used the Rainbow.

Which clearly pulled a LOT more gunk out of the carpet than her previous Kirby had.

I vacuumed a couple of times while I stayed with them and did some spot cleaning with the steam cleaner attachments.  There was a lot of tiny bits of sand, gravel, pet hair, cat whiskers, muddy dust, and I don't know what else pulled out of the carpet (they bought the house in 2007 and have been living in it for seven years - she does tend to vacuum but not nearly as often as "Grandma" - who used to vacuum twice a day because she didn't like footprints in the carpet, they didn't look CLEAN with footprints).

Grandma is now 80 and the house is vacuumed a couple of times a week instead of a couple of times a day...

I made sure to clean the tank immediately as it sets up as an air purifier to get airborne dust out of the way - allergies run in the family, too, not just tendencies to OCD.  I did not need any allergy meds as long as I stayed inside the house for five weeks...

Having a clear plastic tank that you can SEE into does make it very clear that the tank needs to be emptied.  My own Bissell is inside two layers of green plastic and the used steam cleaning mix cannot be seen at all.  But if you don't empty it, you can smell it fairly quickly...Houston is warm and things grow quickly...

That sounds like a great machine! I have an old machine that weighs far too much and doesn't hold nearly enough so I'm emptying the dirty water every 5 minutes. I keep saying I need a new one but when it works well and only gets used 2X a year, replacing it doesn't rate high on the list of priorities.

When I clean the carpets I always get a lot of dirt and cat hair, even if I vacuum first (and I have a good vacuum). I don't fault our friends for a ton of gunk coming through the machine, I fault them for not washing it out when they were finished. There's a handheld attachment for doing upholstery and stairs and the (clear) hose to that was full of big clumps of dog hair. The main suction part at the front (also clear) was completely clogged. There was so much hair matted in the brushes that I destroyed a fine toothed comb cleaning them out. The dirty water tank is gray but the lid is clear and was filthy. There's no way they didn't know. It just blows me away that anyone would return something in that condition, you know?!

I rinse the dirty water tank every time I dump it so hair doesn't get matted in the corners (which, unfortunately it now is and I cannot find anything that can reach it). When I'm completely finished cleaning I remove the brushes and clean them, and set the machine in the tub with a little bit of water running so it can suck up a tank or two of clean water, just to make sure everything is flushed through. I asked DH if he'd told them to do that and he said he did so I don't know what happened. They just forgot, I guess, or decided I was asking too much. Well, they'd better not ask me again or I'll have to modify a quote from Seinfeld and say "No shampooer for you!"  :P

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
My Bissell Big Green Clean Machine is about twenty years old.  The parts are no longer available - I found an authorized dealer in town & bought what he had in the last 18 months. 

I am going to miss it when it no longer works as a steam cleaner - although it is also a tank vacuum cleaner (which can be easier to maneuver when cleaning a vehicle or stairs).  But what I bought it for was steam cleaning cars - it cost less than having two card get detailed for me and I knew that the previous owner's stuff was out of the carpet (we usually bought used cards - the "loss" in value in driving a new car off the lot is so high that my account/VorGuy just can't stand the very idea most of the time).

Trading in or selling a really clean used car does help the price and can be the difference in selling it fast instead of having a lot of people turn up their nose due to cigarette smoke (part of why I wanted a car we'd bought detailed - we don't smoke), spoiled formula (baby bottle leaked), other baby smells (don't ask), dead lizard (bought the vehicle, found it under a seat), red clay dust in Georgia thick enough to turn the water to red mud, and spilled sodas or coffee.  Come to think of it - stale French fries under a seat don't smell too good six months later...or however long the previous owner had left them in the vehicle. 

I like the idea that the traces of a previous owner are gone - VorGuy likes the smell of the cleaning solution more than cigarette smoke, coffee, spoiled milk or creamer, and whatever else might have been spilled in there.  I remember one car that supposedly belonged to a cop who'd done stakeouts in it.

I could have used a shovel to remove debris from the back seat - but there was enough change in the car (under the seats and on the floor) to pay for a car wash, a vacuum cleaning at the car wash, and an air freshener...it was part of my support for needing my own steam cleaner...and my supporting argument was strong enough that I got one!
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 01:19:46 PM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

cabbageweevil

Today we were discussing what's for lunch in the cafeteria. One CW said that she was getting the fageeta buffet. I had to ask her three times to repeat the word and then asked what the heck is on a fageeta buffet? She laughed and said "It's really fajita's but you gotta pronounce the J don't you know." (yes, she was joking. ;))

Sorry, I'm puzzled (or perhaps not very bright). Was she saying "fajeeta" (with the j as in "joke"); or "fageeta" (with the g as in "gas")?  If the former, I think I understand her drift (she knew the correct Spanish pronunciation is "faheeta", but she insisted on giving the word an English mispronunciation). If the latter -- her humour just seems randomly weird and meaningless.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
Today we were discussing what's for lunch in the cafeteria. One CW said that she was getting the fageeta buffet. I had to ask her three times to repeat the word and then asked what the heck is on a fageeta buffet? She laughed and said "It's really fajita's but you gotta pronounce the J don't you know." (yes, she was joking. ;))

Sorry, I'm puzzled (or perhaps not very bright). Was she saying "fajeeta" (with the j as in "joke"); or "fageeta" (with the g as in "gas")?  If the former, I think I understand her drift (she knew the correct Spanish pronunciation is "faheeta", but she insisted on giving the word an English mispronunciation). If the latter -- her humour just seems randomly weird and meaningless.

J as in joke.

Sorry for the confusion, I struggled as to how to phonetically spell the word she was saying so I used "gee" as in gee-wiz. :-\

cabbageweevil

Thanks jpcher -- all is clear now !

Some Brits are serious, about an issue akin to the one re which your lady was jesting. They consider that people who pronounce the name of the tilting-at-windmills chap, in the correct Spanish way -- "Don Kee-hoat-ay" -- are off-puttingly parading what expert linguists and general culture-vultures they are. The British-isolationist view is that in Britain, the novel's hero should jolly well be mispronounced English-wise, as "Don Kwick-soat".  Afetr all, we've thought up an adjective, "quixotic" (English pronunciation) -- "acting like Don Q".

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
"Quixotic" is one of my favorite words in Scrabble.

HoneyBee42

I was playing a ball game last summer and was very vocal that we should be cancelling the game.  No one was listening to me.  I was *this close* to walking off the field but my team would have had to forfeit the game if I did.

Not only could I see lightening and hear the thunder but all the girls with fine hair?  It was standing on end.

I was livid.  Whenever I wasn't on the field, I was in lightning position - crouched on the ground with just the balls of my feet touching the ground.  Everyone thought I was a little strange but a guy I worked with was killed by a lightening stike.  It makes me very nervous, now.
I hope the universe isn't trying to tell me something.  I saw this Wednesday, and on Thursday, other random internet life let me to an image of someone doing the same thing.  WHile it's good knowledge to have, with all the rain we're having it's making me a little nervous that the universe decided I needed detailed knowledge of this.  (Also, while maybe hair-raising would help me focus, I'm not sure how long I could stay in that position, really.)

Years ago, before I had children, I had read an article about a little girl who was 12 years old who was playing softball and was in the outfield when there was a thunderstorm about 3 miles away from the game.  There'd been a lot of rain, the ground was really soggy, and lightning struck.  She wasn't killed, but ended up with such severe brain damage that she was physically/mentally about as capable as a baby less than a year old (no bladder/bowel control, no ability to walk or even crawl, no intelligible words).  It made quite an impression on me.

So when middle son was 8 and playing Little League and a thunderstorm came up (wherein I could see the lightning, but the count indicated it was still a couple miles away), the umpire refused to call the game ("in my day, we kept playing").  I called to middle son and told him I was taking him out of the game until the storm passed because I'd rather have a live and healthy child than worry about a Little League game.  Apparently, after I did that, all the other parents felt that they had permission to do the same thing because within 5 minutes, the field was clear of both teams.  (there'd been some "I wish the umpire would call the game" noises from some of the other parents ... I guess one of those things where someone has to be first).

I'm glad that nowadays, there's a lot more understanding about that.  The pool will clear after lightning is observed and for a set number of minutes after the last strike.  The baseball team (high school level) will clear the field and go on a weather delay for a set number of minutes after a lightning strike is observed (and the "clock" resets if another strike is observed before the set number is up).  With baseball, depending on the total length of delay and how much game they got in before the weather, they may call the game complete or require it to be completed at a later date.

Seriously, lightning is no joke .. it can kill or otherwise destroy lives.  Swimming and other outdoor sporting activities can always wait.

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
This was a teen, not an adult, but still:

My brother had some friends over.  My mom made veal parmesan.  One of the girls didn't know what that was:

Mom: Veal?  You know?

Girl: *blank stare*

Mom: Veal is baby cow.  You know, like lamb is baby sheep?

Girl: People eat sheep?

I was almost going to say in this thread that I wonder how anyone with two brain cells cannot understand where food comes, even without being told it. I never remember being told, it was so clear, we would eat chicken and pig and so on, and you know they are animals too. But then I started to wonder the English language, and how there is beef and pork and so on. I'm not a native speaker, but I've understood that these terms are usually used about meat, not really as "oh, there is the pork walking around, saying oink". So maybe it's not as clear if your mother says it's going to be pork today compared to if she would say it's going to be pig today.

On the other hand :D I do remember a friend who claimed to hate fish, yet ate canned tuna fish with good appetite because she did not realize it was fish... So maybe my theory is totally wrong :D

On different topic, I had to tell an adult female that getting her tubes tied would not stop her having periods.

In my area I'd not be that surprised someone didn't know what lamb was.  It's uncommon enough that someone might never have the opportunity to eat it.  Not every store sells lamb and those that do either have 5 lbs of ground lamb to 500 lb of beef or a ethnic/regional import/specialty shops.   

nutraxfornerves

In my area I'd not be that surprised someone didn't know what lamb was.  It's uncommon enough that someone might never have the opportunity to eat it.  Not every store sells lamb and those that do either have 5 lbs of ground lamb to 500 lb of beef or a ethnic/regional import/specialty shops.   

That's interesting, because, although not as popular as beef or pork, lamb is certainly widely available here in California. Every supermarket carries it. What you can't easily find is mutton.

In the late 1970s, when I was sent to work for 6 months in a rural town in Maryland, I found that lamb was neither popular nor widely available. Many people thought of it as "too expensive," like veal. Others had only had it cooked well done and thought it was awful. I bought some in Washington DC and served it to some people, properly cooked. They were astounded.

(Edited to add. Stupid sentence construction. No, the people were not properly cooked. They weren't even mildly stewed. The lamb, however, was done to a turn.)

« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 02:08:47 PM by nutraxfornerves »

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

Onyx_TKD

Thanks jpcher -- all is clear now !

Some Brits are serious, about an issue akin to the one re which your lady was jesting. They consider that people who pronounce the name of the tilting-at-windmills chap, in the correct Spanish way -- "Don Kee-hoat-ay" -- are off-puttingly parading what expert linguists and general culture-vultures they are. The British-isolationist view is that in Britain, the novel's hero should jolly well be mispronounced English-wise, as "Don Kwick-soat".  Afetr all, we've thought up an adjective, "quixotic" (English pronunciation) -- "acting like Don Q".

Well, I've learned something new. I was aware of the word "quixotic" and what it meant, but I've only seen it in writing and always assumed that it was pronounced kee-hoe-tic since it is derived from Don "kee-hoe-tay". (I don't think I've ever heard someone seriously pronounce Don Quixote as Don Kwick-soat, although granted, I don't have all that many conversations about Don Quixote.  ;)) But sure enough, I went to look at the dictionary entry for quixotic and the only pronunciation listed is kwick-sa-tic.

Katana_Geldar

That's interesting, because, although not as popular as beef or pork, lamb is certainly widely available here in California. Every supermarket carries it. What you can't easily find is mutton.

In the late 1970s, when I was sent to work for 6 months in a rural town in Maryland, I found that lamb was neither popular nor widely available. Many people thought of it as "too expensive," like veal. Others had only had it cooked well done and thought it was awful. I bought some in Washington DC and served it to some people, properly cooked. They were astounded.

(Edited to add. Stupid sentence construction. No, the people were not properly cooked. They weren't even mildly stewed. The lamb, however, was done to a turn.)
DH and I love lamb, our local supermarket has lovely legs of lamb that we roast and then use the left over leg to make shepherds pie.