Author Topic: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People  (Read 303867 times)

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
Please, let's not discuss this further; the thread will probably get locked if we do.

I don't remember when I made the connection between the meat I ate and the animals they came from, but certainly I wasn't traumatized by it - I love most forms of meat. However, I did have to explain to a couple of my co - workers that, yes, people do eat baby cows, aka veal (I'd talked about osso bucco). They were just dumbfounded as to why someone would eat baby cows, and I said finally, "Well, because it tastes good. That's generally why people eat food, other than to not be hungry," because it was going in a circular argument that I was never going to to be able to break (But - but they're baby cows! Why would anyone eat baby cows? That's gross!).
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

Carotte

Please, let's not discuss this further; the thread will probably get locked if we do.

I don't remember when I made the connection between the meat I ate and the animals they came from, but certainly I wasn't traumatized by it - I love most forms of meat. However, I did have to explain to a couple of my co - workers that, yes, people do eat baby cows, aka veal (I'd talked about osso bucco). They were just dumbfounded as to why someone would eat baby cows, and I said finally, "Well, because it tastes good. That's generally why people eat food, other than to not be hungry," because it was going in a circular argument that I was never going to to be able to break (But - but they're baby cows! Why would anyone eat baby cows? That's gross!).

That's a weird argument, at least "that's wastefull, grown up cows have so much more meat on them  >:D" would make some* sense.
*some because waiting for them to be grown up means feeding them and looking after them longer.

stargazer

• Super Hero!
I'm a little concerned that some people think something this offensive should just be glossed over in fear of a thread being locked instead of this being discussed as something that should not be said.  This reminds me of the "casual racism" thread where people don't say anything because they don't want to cause "trouble" (i.e. thread being locked).  Hopefully  cabbageweevil can come back to clarify or a mod can step in.

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)

That's a weird argument, at least "that's wastefull, grown up cows have so much more meat on them  >:D" would make some* sense.
*some because waiting for them to be grown up means feeding them and looking after them longer.

No, it's because apparently killing sweet little innocent babies is gross and only monsters would do it. Evil!Violinp wanted to channel her late grandpa, and say, "Innocent of what?  >:D" but fortunately, I can shove Evil!Violinp back in her cage with promises of fudge bars.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
I'm a little concerned that some people think something this offensive should just be glossed over in fear of a thread being locked instead of this being discussed as something that should not be said.  This reminds me of the "casual racism" thread where people don't say anything because they don't want to cause "trouble" (i.e. thread being locked).  Hopefully  cabbageweevil can come back to clarify or a mod can step in.

I agree. I would rather see a casual Nazi joke be called out for the heinous thing that it is than be afraid of having an Internet discussion thread locked.
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult);  Balrog, Rooney, Rascal, Rocket (M)

Onyx_TKD

I agree. I would rather see a casual Nazi joke be called out for the heinous thing that it is than be afraid of having an Internet discussion thread locked.

Then perhaps the appropriate thing to do is report it to the mods. The comment wasn't allowed to go unchallenged. People have already said they found it offensive. If one person makes a offensive post, there are a few in-thread objections, and people report it to the mods, then the mods frequently take action only to deal with the offending poster (e.g., by warning them, gagging them, deleting the offending post, etc.) and the thread may continue on its intended topic. If the thread degenerates into a discussion of the nasty post, then (1) we're going to lose a fun and interesting thread in a dogpile over Nazi jokes and (2) the thread is most likely going to get locked. I, for one, would prefer the former option, where only the offending post gets smacked down, rather than losing the entire thread. The comment has already been publicly called out, and this board has an effective system for dealing with inappropriate posts without letting them derail entire threads. Please, let's let that system do it's job.

stargazer

• Super Hero!
Three people (as far as I can tell) being in disgust of his post do not constitute a dog pile (and even if it did, being at home as a Nazi "jokes" are certainly something that deserve it) and I guarantee you this has been reported to the mods long ago.

Visiting Crazy Town

Then perhaps the appropriate thing to do is report it to the mods. The comment wasn't allowed to go unchallenged. People have already said they found it offensive. If one person makes a offensive post, there are a few in-thread objections, and people report it to the mods, then the mods frequently take action only to deal with the offending poster (e.g., by warning them, gagging them, deleting the offending post, etc.) and the thread may continue on its intended topic. If the thread degenerates into a discussion of the nasty post, then (1) we're going to lose a fun and interesting thread in a dogpile over Nazi jokes and (2) the thread is most likely going to get locked. I, for one, would prefer the former option, where only the offending post gets smacked down, rather than losing the entire thread. The comment has already been publicly called out, and this board has an effective system for dealing with inappropriate posts without letting them derail entire threads. Please, let's let that system do it's job.

Or perhaps its best to do both publically call out a disgust/racist comment and report the post 

cass2591

• Global Moderator
I'm not going to lock the thread on account of one poster's incredible lack of judgment. Cabbageweevil, whether you were "joking" or not, (and frankly I'm not sure which I'd prefer on a personal level but that's irrelevant) but your post was unbelievably inappropriate. Some things should remain unsaid, or unposted anyway. If you were just kidding, hardee har, then it's a know your audience thing and there is absolutely no way this audience will react to your Nazi reference without taking offense and I am one of them.

All other posters, please move on. Those who said the issue should be addressed rather than locked are correct.  IMO some things are just too awful, no matter what the poster's intent was, to ignore.
There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened. ~ Mark Twain

Adopting a pet won't change the world, but it will change the world for that pet.

perpetua

This is a most bizarre turn of events but given that cabbageweevil is, I believe, an older gent, who often posts in quite flowery language (that sometimes I have trouble deciphering even from the same side of the pond), I'd like to see him given the opportunity to explain himself before he's hung, drawn and quartered. I don't think, personally, he was referring to himself. I think what he was trying to say, very clumsily, is that while a certain contingent of the UK *do* genuinely feel superior to foreigners (this is a very, very big thing in the media here at the moment and the reference may have been lost on those not familiar with certain things happening over here at the moment) hence the unfortunate reference, but most of us don't and we have a bit of a laugh over the pronunciation differences.

ETA: Cass, apologies, our posts crossed.

Tea Drinker

With regard to pronunciation of "Don Quixote," Spanish spelling and pronunciation have also changed over the centuries; if the book had been written in Spain in the 19th century, he would have been spelled "Don Quijote." I mostly see that usage of x for /h/ in Mexican spellings of words borrowed from native languages: for example, Oaxaca is pronounced something like "wah-hah-kah."

But I wouldn't expect a non-Hispanophone adult to know how to pronounce Oaxaca, nor yet that people in England used to pronounce "Don Juan" as two syllables, with the j as in "jealous." Those are facts, and potentially useful or interesting ones, but they don't fall into "an adult should really know this."
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

amandaelizabeth

• Amanda's home based ece
It wasn't until I heard Victor Borge do his 'inflationary numbers' act that I realised that Don Juan was not pronounced Don June.

Hillia

It wasn't until I heard Victor Borge do his 'inflationary numbers' act that I realised that Don Juan was not pronounced Don June.

But when you're reading the poem by Byron, you have to pronounce it Joo-wan:
I want a hero: an uncommon want,
       When every year and month sends forth a new one,
     Till, after cloying the gazettes with cant,
       The age discovers he is not the true one;
     Of such as these I should not care to vaunt,
       I 'll therefore take our ancient friend Don Juan
     We all have seen him, in the pantomime,
     Sent to the devil somewhat ere his time.

Regarding pronunciation, BIL considers himself quite the Spanish linguist.  It still tickles me to remember him ordering 'steak Tampikwena' (Tampiquena, pronounced tampikenya).  I'm not an expert in Spanish, but I believe the qu is almost always pronouced as a k - queso, que, tequila, etc.  Add in a very heavy twang and it was pretty funny.  Of course, MIL says 'kweso' for 'queso', so it's a family thing.  Funniest part is, they live in an area with a large Hispanic population, so Spanish words and phrases are common vocabulary.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

poundcake

I just got witnessed to by two Christian men at the local Starbucks. One recited several bible verses and pointed out that the bible was "the oldest book in the world. We're still talking about it today." I told him that Homer's Iliad was at least eight centuries older than the bible, and we're still talking about it today. He didn't believe me. He didn't believe that there was ANY book older than the bible. I suggested he Google-search the Epic of Gilgamesh and flood mythology. I wonder if he'll actually do it, and discover that the "Noah" story actually pre-dates Noah by roughly 1500 years.

cabbageweevil

cass2591 #2798, perpetua #2799, and all others -- I've been away from the Internet for most of two days, and have only just now logged on once more.  perpetua, you have it rightly about what I was trying to say.  Be things as they may: I've been brought to realise that I made a most crassly insensitive, offensive, and inappropriate reference. I'll just say that I am very sorry indeed; and that to express my contrition, I intend to voluntary suspend myself from participation on the board, until the beginning of next month.