Author Topic: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People  (Read 304015 times)

greencat

I had a few instances of confusion at a friend's house when they asked for the "clicker" - it was what they called a remote! 

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
they just forget that they are not in common usage for most other people.

When my first daughter was a newborn and was a bit fussy, a friend of a friend asked me if I had a "soo" that I could use.  I looked at her blankly, and she had to explain that "soo" was her word for "soother", or "pacifier".

Not to derail with a discussion about different pacifier names :D but my cousin calls it a "toota." That's how it sounds, anyway. I think it might be usage from her DH's family. It took me a while to figure out what they were referring to when they asked for the baby's toota.
~Lynn2000

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
I had a few instances of confusion at a friend's house when they asked for the "clicker" - it was what they called a remote!

We call a remote a "clicker."  :)

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.

We call a remote a "clicker."  :)

I don't say that, but I have heard it. In context, it could be confusing for me, as I have several friends who have clicker trained their dogs. <G>
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
I've heard it before, but only when discussing medication with people of my grandfather's generation.  It's a very old-fashioned term for a diuretic!

An euphemism I've heard from some older relatives for what happens when you take this medication is "making water" so that may have been where the term water pill came from. 
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Luci

• Super Hero!

There was an Adam Sandler movie called "Click", which meant the remote.

Lucas calls it a 'firestick', which still confuses me after about 40 years of owning TV remotes. I'm slow.

oz diva

• The Classics are SO last Century
We call it the boredom control.

Victoria

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
With regard to pronunciation of "Don Quixote," Spanish spelling and pronunciation have also changed over the centuries; if the book had been written in Spain in the 19th century, he would have been spelled "Don Quijote." I mostly see that usage of x for /h/ in Mexican spellings of words borrowed from native languages: for example, Oaxaca is pronounced something like "wah-hah-kah."

There's a joke about a Texas town, Mexia:

Some tourists driving through decided to stop for a bite. They asked the waitress, "How do you pronounce the name of this place?"
She said, "Day-a-ree Ka-ween."

(The town is "meh-HEE-ah."  Their motto: "A great place to live, no matter how you pronounce it")
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult);  Balrog, Rooney, Rascal, Rocket (M)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
^ :)

I'm from Texas.

I had to tell someone that although their new employee seemed great, nothing had been posted on their social media accounts in two weeks, so they might want to look into that.

nutraxfornerves

I had to tell someone that although their new employee seemed great, nothing had been posted on their social media accounts in two weeks, so they might want to look into that.

Why was that a problem? Is posting to social media part of the person's job duties?

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
Yes. They were hired to replace the previous "designate". That's a big deal in my organization.

nutraxfornerves

At the county public library today. Got to listen to a librarian patiently trying to explain to a young woman that the county library was not the library for the local college, that it was in no way connected to the local college, so, no, the books your professor put on reserve for his class will not be found here.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

Southern_Continent

In a college biology class when talking about inherited traits, there was a girl who was absolutely adamant that if you cut off a mouse's tail, any babies the mouse had would also not have tails. The teacher and everyone in the class tried to explain it to her, but she was absolutely positive. One guy even told her that his dad was a vet who lost his lower leg in combat before he was born, and yet he had two full legs. That finally seems to sort of sink in, but she still wasn't sure...

I also knew a couple in their 30's who were trying to have a baby. Both very intellectual, in professional fields. The wife shared with some of us that they were playing scrabble once a month just like the books tell you to do to conceive but it just wasn't working and they were starting to think they were infertile - they tried every month on the 15th. One lady tried to explain about her cycle and that it was the middle of her CYCLE (sort of) not the middle of the month, but she very politely disagreed because her book said otherwise. Said lady then tried to suggest trying more often maybe, and she said that wouldn't help and could actually reduce the count of things (not sure what words get blocked) if they played scrabble more than once a month.

Katana_Geldar

It doesn't necessarily work like that, more like every few days to "build up". Once a month though is rather sad IMHO.

I also think it's rather sad how many adults grow up ignorant of "the facts of life". Sometimes with unintended consequences.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
They used to say every other day was ideal, but I ran into an article recently that said that the "build up" idea, while valid, turns out to actually be less important than simply having more opportunities, so now they're saying to go ahead and try every day.  I wonder how many guys could keep up that kind of schedule.  :)