News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 22, 2017, 05:27:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People  (Read 1265463 times)

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
I shouldn't have to explain to a family member that buying a laptop is not the same as getting internet service to one's home. Especially when the owner doesn't have a smart phone, so can't tether as a hot spot and won't buy a wireless modem.

*Headdesk*

Also, that if you are attending a wedding in a remote locale, you might want to make reservations at a hotel. But what do I know?  ???
“All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

Xandraea

I shouldn't have to explain to a family member that buying a laptop is not the same as getting internet service to one's home. Especially when the owner doesn't have a smart phone, so can't tether as a hot spot and won't buy a wireless modem.

*Headdesk*

Made me think of this

ladyknight1

Love that!
“All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

TootsNYC

(looks up Black Hole Information Paradox. Instantly develops headache)

<gurgles happily> I love it! Something else I can use to make peoples head explode. It's like explaining that the 3rd law of physics (conservation of energy law) actually goes some way to agreeing that ghosts are real.

<ahem> Sorry, nothing to do with silly things people should know. Now returning you to your scheduled forum.

I saw a science program once (sorry, I don't remember specifics) that was talking about the possibility that rocks have memories. So that ghost you see may not be a human soul wandering the earth, it could just be the rocks telling you about this Roman soldier they met once. :D

I love it!  What a cool idea!

Oh, how fun!

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
To be honest, growing up - hotels were someplace we stayed only when there were no relatives in the area and the thunderstorm was too bad to make it safe to stay in a tent.  So, older relatives may still be remembering when hotels were a last resort for a place to stay - say if there were no family close enough or they'd gone into a nursing home or something.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

ladyknight1

The standard MO is to drive to the destination and find the cheapest place to stay. It usually works out in larger areas, but this is a rural area with three fully booked motels/bed & breakfasts. I just wanted to make sure they didn't expect to stay with us!
-J.R.R Tolkien

Elfmama

• Derailing threads since 2001!

*Headdesk*

Made me think of this
There was a person on another forum that I frequent who wanted the other members to visit every page on the internet, rate it for interest, and send him the links to the interesting stuff so that he could download it to read at his leisure. 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Common sense is not a gift, but a curse.  Because then
you have to deal with all the people who don't have it.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

ladyknight1

I hope the people were immortal and had no need of sleep or anything but the internet.
-J.R.R Tolkien

staceym

(looks up Black Hole Information Paradox. Instantly develops headache)

<gurgles happily> I love it! Something else I can use to make peoples head explode. It's like explaining that the 3rd law of physics (conservation of energy law) actually goes some way to agreeing that ghosts are real.

<ahem> Sorry, nothing to do with silly things people should know. Now returning you to your scheduled forum.

I saw a science program once (sorry, I don't remember specifics) that was talking about the possibility that rocks have memories. So that ghost you see may not be a human soul wandering the earth, it could just be the rocks telling you about this Roman soldier they met once. :D

a number of years ago (five or more) I signed up for one of those Community College adult classes; can't remember the specific title but it was on psychic and sensory perception (very low level for entertainment type thing).  I pretty much failed at most of what he had us doing; even though I was surprised as I always felt I had some type of sixth sense.  But the one thing I did hone in on was when he passed out rocks.  He had about six or so rocks and passed them out by row; asked you to take a moment and "feel" it and then pass it on to the next person.  Then he would ask if you felt anything.  The moment I held the rock I felt waves and water and that is what I told him.  He said that the rock I held was found in some water bed (can't remember where now).  The rocks were significant in some way and it was quite interesting.

TootsNYC

Actually, the idea that a rock would tell you about a Roman Soldier is far more sensible than the idea that a Roman Soldier would end up haunting some place that he passed through.

nutraxfornerves

There was a person on another forum that I frequent who wanted the other members to visit every page on the internet, rate it for interest, and send him the links to the interesting stuff so that he could download it to read at his leisure.

Stumble Upon Tell it what interests you and it finds pages you might like. Actually works fairly well, at least for me.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

BabyMama

• Jamberry Nail Wraps
http://www.buzzfeed.com/lukelewis/no-internet-steven-spielberg-does-not-hunt-dinosaurs?bffb

A comedian posted a pic of Steven Spielburg with the triceratops prop from Jurassic park. The caption he wrote said, "Disgraceful photo of recreational hunter happily posing next to a Triceratops he just slaughtered. Please share so the world can name and shame this despicable man.” It's a farce of the girl who was posting pictures of endangered animals she had hunted on safaris.

Apparently lots of people don't get the joke.

VorFemme

http://www.buzzfeed.com/lukelewis/no-internet-steven-spielberg-does-not-hunt-dinosaurs?bffb

A comedian posted a pic of Steven Spielburg with the triceratops prop from Jurassic park. The caption he wrote said, "Disgraceful photo of recreational hunter happily posing next to a Triceratops he just slaughtered. Please share so the world can name and shame this despicable man.” It's a farce of the girl who was posting pictures of endangered animals she had hunted on safaris.

Apparently lots of people don't get the joke.

There are people who apparently blip over the words they don't understand & try to make sense of the situation from the words that they do understand.

Endangered animals is something that they do understand...what a triceratops is?  Not something that they remember as being extinct for a few million years from school - so they get upset and all dramatic about the endangered animal part....the "joke" goes so far over their heads that it will take a million years or so for them to get the punchline.

gramma dishes

^^^  I'm sure that's true for a number of the responses, but I honestly got the impression that some of them were just as tongue in cheek as the headline itself.

VorFemme

I'm on a hotel wireless connection with a speed of 11 to 24 mbps.  I'm not connecting to all linked websites, as the signal strength & speed just don't support very many multiple tabs open at the same time.

But after the one website set up by someone during the release of The Lord of the Rings:  The Two Towers movie back in 2001 or so and someone having a hissy fit on-line about the terrible way that the movie was playing on the tragedy of the Twin Towers...I have learned that there really are people out there with a very limited knowledge set who interpret everything within their own experience.  They won't even run a search to find out what year the source material (book) for a fantasy movie was published because of course only recent history is ever used as inspiration for a movie....