Author Topic: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People  (Read 325169 times)

Onyx_TKD

Characters in Edward Albee's Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolf were originally supposed to sing the play title to the tune of Disney's "Who's Afraid of the Big Bad Wolf?"  However, when the play was first produced on Broadway, the royalties asked by Disney were too high, so the tune was switched to the public domain "Here We Go Round the Mulberry Bush."

Is this an off-shoot of some conversation I've overlooked, or did you intend it to be a new "adults should know this" entry? Why would all adults be expected to know trivia about why particular songs were chosen for a specific play?  ???

Hillia

It's a continuation of the Disney copyright discussion a few posts up.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Onyx_TKD

It's a continuation of the Disney copyright discussion a few posts up.

Thank you! I'd read the copyright discussion, but completely failed to make the connection. That makes a lot more sense!  ;D

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
It is thanks to this board that I thought to ask the restaurant we went to for my Dad's 80th whether or not they had a plating fee.  If they did, we would have gone back to the house for cake and coffee but it wasn't necessary.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

LadyDyani

• Freelance Editor
The birthday celebrations in restaurants are very much a "know your audience" thing. Some people love them, some people hate them. I would hate to have one. Not even in a, "Oh, ha ha, you really shouldn't have," kind of way. More in a, "If you say aloud that it is my birthday anywhere on the precincts of this restaurant, I will get up and leave, because I don't want to risk them coming after me singing" kind of way.

I remember once some friends and I went to a restaurant for someone's birthday (not mine!). Anna had made a special dessert for the birthday person, which she carried into the restaurant. I was a little  :o at that because I'm used to not being allowed to bring outside food into a restaurant, except maybe baby food or something. But she was very confident. She wanted it to be a surprise, so she sort of thrust the pan at the server and said, "Can you put this in the fridge?" in an abrupt way. Which the server very nicely did. At the end of the meal, the server brought out the homemade dessert, complete with a stack of fresh cake plates, a serving knife, etc.. Very classy. And when the bill came, Anna discovered the restaurant had charged a "plating fee" that was equivalent to a normal entree! She was pretty mad. I would have laughed except we had all already agreed to split the bill evenly (except the birthday person) so we all had to pay part of it.

The next time I ate there I examined the menu carefully and in the fine print, where it tells you about the automatic 18% gratuity for large parties, it also had something about plating and uncorking fees. So while I wouldn't necessarily have known there was such a thing beforehand, if it was important for me to bring in the homemade birthday cake, I think I would have called the restaurant first to make sure that was okay, and if it was okay for them to keep it in the kitchen so it would be a surprise. At which point a responsible employee would have mentioned the plating fee.

A plating/corking fee was pretty standard at the places I worked at when I was waitressing. But we also would have mentioned it to her when she gave us the cake.
English doesn't borrow from other languages, it follows them down dark alleys and beats them up and searches their pockets for loose grammar.

MrTango

I had a very odd phone conversation today.

When I had to research some information, I asked the caller if it would be okay if I called them back in about five minutes with the information they needed.

The caller flipped out, and yelled at me, demanding "how can you call me back when you don't know my phone number!?"

I had to pause and process what they were saying.  I figured it would be pretty obvious that if they were okay with a call back, my next question would be for the number they wanted me to call.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
I was trying to think why it wasn't a surprise to me that "Happy Birthday" was well-known around the US and other countries. If it's copyrighted it's less likely to show up in movies and TV shows, I suppose, though I don't know how much the fee is to use it--maybe not much. I know that when I took French lessons, starting in junior high, we learned to sing "Happy Birthday" in French--maybe I figured that if people in France know it, everyone in the US should as well.

Maybe it was just an assumption on my part that happened to be correct! I think I would've been totally shocked, and possibly laughed at, if it really was a US Midwest-only thing, and I assumed someone from another part of the country would know it.

I had to endure it about 4 times in a restaurant the other night.   I hate the childish sound of this song and my friends have to remember not to ever inflict it on me in public.
One day I was out to lunch with co-workers when a person at the adjacent table had the indignity of having the Birthday Sombrero plopped on his head while the wait staff clapped and sang their own Birthday Song. It ended a bit unexpectedly, and in the sudden silence, a man at another table said to his wife, 'You ever do that to me, I'm leaving.' A brief pause, and the whole restaurant broke out in laughter.
I don't know if he meant he'd leave the restaurant or he'd leave the marriage, though.
I do feel sorry for anyone who has to make their living tormenting customers on their birthday. So undignified for everyone.

In 2010, I was at my nephew's graduation - we went out for dinner at a Mexican restaurant afterward.  It happened to be my birthday.  My Wonderful(?usually?) SIL let the staff know that it was my birthday.

Having the sombrero ground into a hair clip was painful and it took a very long forty or sixty seconds for the waiter with their hands on the sombrero to realize that I wasn't just complaining about the hat, but making noises indicating that I really needed to get that hat off long enough to take the clip out of my hair...

I forgave him - I also quit wearing those hair clips except around the house...you can't lean back in a chair with a high back or a car seat with a neck support while wearing one of them, either.  Too uncomfortable.

This year, they took me to an Italian restaurant in Atlanta that offers a free meal for anyone on their birthday (I pulled out my drivers' license & I also got a birthday song & a bit of gelato - a very, very good gelato - as well as the tiramisu we were splitting).  The three year old grandson was quite happy to "help" with the *problem* of having two desserts at the table.

*No* hats were involved.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 10:20:39 PM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well

I had to pause and process what they were saying.  I figured it would be pretty obvious that if they were okay with a call back, my next question would be for the number they wanted me to call.

I get their cousins.  Guests will sometimes call up and say "I just checked out. Send my bill to my email address" and hang up without giving us a chance to double-check if we have their emails on file.  It's about a 50/50 split.

And sometimes people will make reservations, balk at giving out their emails "you'll just sell it. No."  and then call up a week later to complain that they never got their email confirmation.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
I shouldn't have to explain to a family member that buying a laptop is not the same as getting internet service to one's home. Especially when the owner doesn't have a smart phone, so can't tether as a hot spot and won't buy a wireless modem.

*Headdesk*

Also, that if you are attending a wedding in a remote locale, you might want to make reservations at a hotel. But what do I know?  ???

Xandraea

I shouldn't have to explain to a family member that buying a laptop is not the same as getting internet service to one's home. Especially when the owner doesn't have a smart phone, so can't tether as a hot spot and won't buy a wireless modem.

*Headdesk*

Made me think of this

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
Love that!

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum

(looks up Black Hole Information Paradox. Instantly develops headache)

<gurgles happily> I love it! Something else I can use to make peoples head explode. It's like explaining that the 3rd law of physics (conservation of energy law) actually goes some way to agreeing that ghosts are real.

<ahem> Sorry, nothing to do with silly things people should know. Now returning you to your scheduled forum.

I saw a science program once (sorry, I don't remember specifics) that was talking about the possibility that rocks have memories. So that ghost you see may not be a human soul wandering the earth, it could just be the rocks telling you about this Roman soldier they met once. :D

I love it!  What a cool idea!

Oh, how fun!

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
To be honest, growing up - hotels were someplace we stayed only when there were no relatives in the area and the thunderstorm was too bad to make it safe to stay in a tent.  So, older relatives may still be remembering when hotels were a last resort for a place to stay - say if there were no family close enough or they'd gone into a nursing home or something.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
The standard MO is to drive to the destination and find the cheapest place to stay. It usually works out in larger areas, but this is a rural area with three fully booked motels/bed & breakfasts. I just wanted to make sure they didn't expect to stay with us!

Elfmama

• Super Hero!

*Headdesk*

Made me think of this
There was a person on another forum that I frequent who wanted the other members to visit every page on the internet, rate it for interest, and send him the links to the interesting stuff so that he could download it to read at his leisure. 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~