Author Topic: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People  (Read 291567 times)

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
They probably confused Dubai with Mumbai at some point and it just stuck.

I was thinking the same thing. Especially if they are hearing it on the news not reading it. Often there person saying the name of a place with put an odd emphasis on syllables. in this case on the last rhyming  syllables. That can be confusing. Also both locations have been in international news about the treatment of woman.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

cabbageweevil

The "Dubai in India" misconception doesn't strike me as particularly off-the-wall, or a badge of particularly great ignorance.  Very many people are -- if they don't avidly follow everything in the news, and / or make a hobby of geography -- fairly vague about many aspects of "what's where" in distant parts of the world: it's not stuff which directly impacts their lives.  The name Dubai looks and sounds as if it could very well be a city in India.  Plenty of folk get thoroughly confused between Guinea, New Guinea, and Guyana -- places in three different continents.

nutraxfornerves

Many years ago, when I took a trip to Mali, I thought it would be fun to tell people "I'm going to Timbuktu!" Several people responded with some version of "Wow! I've always wanted to see the Himalayas."

Timbuktu is in the West African country of Mali. Kathmandu is in Nepal.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

amandaelizabeth

• Amanda's home based ece
We have friend whose parents were in the Diplomatic Corps, and he happened to be born during one of their postings - Timbuktu!

It seems every Custom  and Immigration  official he met in the next sixty years had read the Mister Men books, and would make jokes about Timbuktu.   Got old really fast

menley

The "Dubai in India" misconception doesn't strike me as particularly off-the-wall, or a badge of particularly great ignorance.  Very many people are -- if they don't avidly follow everything in the news, and / or make a hobby of geography -- fairly vague about many aspects of "what's where" in distant parts of the world: it's not stuff which directly impacts their lives.  The name Dubai looks and sounds as if it could very well be a city in India.  Plenty of folk get thoroughly confused between Guinea, New Guinea, and Guyana -- places in three different continents.

Oh yes - I live in Budapest, and the locals are furious at how few people can tell the difference between Bucharest (Romania) and Budapest (Hungary). Even fewer people seem to actually know what Hungary is. When I told people at my job that I was moving there, I got an interesting range of responses that included questions like "Is that in America?" and "That's not safe, is it? Isn't it in a war zone?"

poundcake

A friend moved to Austria for school a year ago. You would not believe the number of people who have asked her if she's going to see kangaroos and koalas, or wants them to "put another shrimp on the barbie" and that sort of thing. And when she points out that, no, Austria is quite different from Australia, it isn't even that people misheard/misunderstood. It's that most of them didn't realize there was a country called Austria in the first place.  ???

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
A friend moved to Austria for school a year ago. You would not believe the number of people who have asked her if she's going to see kangaroos and koalas, or wants them to "put another shrimp on the barbie" and that sort of thing. And when she points out that, no, Austria is quite different from Australia, it isn't even that people misheard/misunderstood. It's that most of them didn't realize there was a country called Austria in the first place.  ???
I don't remember where I saw this story, but it was a first-person account.  The OP needed to mail something to Austria, but the PO person wouldn't take it, because "Austria is not a recognized abbreviation for Australia."  The OP insisted on speaking to the postmaster, who told her the same thing.  ::)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 10:02:40 AM by Elfmama »
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
There's also the story of a dragon costume that was being shipped to Wagner's theater in Beyreuth and wound up in Beirut. 

cabbageweevil

Oh yes - I live in Budapest, and the locals are furious at how few people can tell the difference between Bucharest (Romania) and Budapest (Hungary). Even fewer people seem to actually know what Hungary is. When I told people at my job that I was moving there, I got an interesting range of responses that included questions like "Is that in America?" and "That's not safe, is it? Isn't it in a war zone?"

Well, things were a bit dodgy for a while in 1956 -- I gather the place has been pretty safe, since ! The Eastern European connection reminds me of a reported conversation involving Percy Harrison Fawcett, the British explorer who travelled widely in South America (where he mysteriously vanished in the 1920s).  A little before World War I, Fawcett was in London, talking with a member of the British nobility -- Lady (whoever-it-was), much respected on the social scene in the capital. He mentioned recent explorations which he had carried out in Bolivia. The grande dame thought for a moment, then said, "Bolivia?  That's one of those horrid little Balkan states, isn't it?"

cabbageweevil

I don't remember where I saw this story, but it was a first-person account.  The OP needed to mail something to Austria, but the PO person wouldn't take it, because "Austria is not a recognized abbreviation for Australia."  The PO insisted on speaking to the postmaster, who told her the same thing.  ::)

Franz Josef must be revolving in his grave...

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
I truly worry about the future after reading the last dozen posts.

nutraxfornerves

I don't remember where I saw this story, but it was a first-person account.  The OP needed to mail something to Austria, but the PO person wouldn't take it, because "Austria is not a recognized abbreviation for Australia."  The OP insisted on speaking to the postmaster, who told her the same thing.

I had trouble mailing a package to Papua New Guinea. It took several tries to get the postal clerk to look under "P" instead of "N."

That's actually a fairly common error. New Guinea is the name of the island. The eastern half is the country of Papua New Guinea; the western half is the Indonesian province of West Papua. There is no country called "New Guinea."

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
To my MIL:

1. That is great that closed store K is selling off all the fixtures. I am not sure why you think your son's locksmith company can use them or who they could sell them to, since they have to purchase hardware for every job they work on. Thank you for telling us. Again.

2. I am very sorry that you and FIL did not check his work schedule before making flight reservations. I know you could leave a day earlier. I don't agree that it is unreasonable for the airline to charge you a fee to change the tickets!

I have my ringer off now.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
Dear college advisor: I'm not sure telling every student to "follow the money" and go into a medical field career is a one size fits all as far as college plan and career advice.

Yarnspinner

The James Cameron film Titanic is a fictionalized account of a TRUE event and not a documentary.  We do not have a biography on the life of that famous artist Jack Dawson because he never existed.  We do not have any photos he drew of a young woman naked.  He was a made up character played by Leonardo DiCaprio....

How many photos do you have that are drawn by real people?
^_^  I just came back to this thread, forgetting I had posted on it, and when I saw the original I said "YOU MORON!  People don't draw photos!"   I started scrolling through at once to see who might have caught it.  Twik, I should have known it would be your eagle eyes to catch it.

What I meant to say, of course, was "We do not have any photos of the drawings he is alleged to have done of a nude young woman."