Author Topic: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People  (Read 323969 times)

oogyda

To my MIL:

1. That is great that closed store K is selling off all the fixtures. I am not sure why you think your son's locksmith company can use them or who they could sell them to, since they have to purchase hardware for every job they work on. Thank you for telling us. Again.

2. I am very sorry that you and FIL did not check his work schedule before making flight reservations. I know you could leave a day earlier. I don't agree that it is unreasonable for the airline to charge you a fee to change the tickets!

I have my ringer off now.

Depending on the airline...if they make the change the day of their scheduled flight, the fee may be cheaper.  Just an FYI.
It's not what we gather along the way that matters.  It's what we scatter.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
^They want to move it to the day before, so it is working against them at the moment.

poundcake

Dear college advisor: I'm not sure telling every student to "follow the money" and go into a medical field career is a one size fits all as far as college plan and career advice.

That hasn't been good career advice for the last ten-fifteen years, anyway.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
Well, "follow the money" has been decent career advice.

Sometimes I think we've had too many decades of "follow your dream."

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
They probably confused Dubai with Mumbai at some point and it just stuck.

I asked them that - or if maybe Mumbai + Delhi = Dubai, but everyone swore that was not the case.

It was just strange.

perpetua

Follow the money is decent career advice if you're primarily motivated by money and material possessions. Not everyone is, though. What's wrong with 'follow your dream'?

LadyDyani

• Freelance Editor

Follow the money is decent career advice if you're primarily motivated by money and material possessions. Not everyone is, though. What's wrong with 'follow your dream'?

I'm reminded of this quote: I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later. ~ Mitch Hedberg

The problem with telling kids to follow their dreams is it's not very practical. The number of people who have had to take crap jobs to live far outnumbers those who can make a living at what they love. And many of those that had to give up their dreams feel as though they failed somehow, because they gave up, even though it was the only way.

I'd prefer to amend "follow your dreams" to "follow your dreams, just make sure the mortgage is paid first."
English doesn't borrow from other languages, it follows them down dark alleys and beats them up and searches their pockets for loose grammar.

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
Often, people follow just one dream aspect, without considering the entirety of what that dream means.

I dreamed of being a classical musician. I was reasonably good and could have had a career. Luckily, some people pointed out the other side of the career: very few musicians are able to support themselves with their concert fees and most rely on teaching to pay their bills, it requires total dedication (one teacher was a lovely old lady, who was one of Khachaturian's favourite interpreter's but whose career fizzled out because she had to take time off to take care of her mother), the politicking and theater intrigues, etc. Honestly, I would have been miserable as a singer. But I dearly loved singing and I still do, but as a hobby, not profession.

Was my career my dream? No. It was something I was interested in and did well. It paid my bills, allowed me to travel, buy books and CDs and it funded my second career. Good enough for me.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum

I'm reminded of this quote: I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later. ~ Mitch Hedberg

The problem with telling kids to follow their dreams is it's not very practical. The number of people who have had to take crap jobs to live far outnumbers those who can make a living at what they love. And many of those that had to give up their dreams feel as though they failed somehow, because they gave up, even though it was the only way.

I'd prefer to amend "follow your dreams" to "follow your dreams, just make sure the mortgage is paid first."

I think that has been pretty  much the -only- career advice that's been given any weight.

in fact, the phrase in perpetua's comment that I bolded is actually so often used pejoratively. Crummy and selfish people are motivated by money. Crummy and shallow people are motivated by material possessions.

That's the subtext to all the career advice I ever heard, and still hear now.

And then you end up with people who could have enjoyed a more lucrative career, if they'd trained for it. But they didn't, and now not only can they not make money in their dream, but they're not trained for something more lucrative than what they had.

And meanwhile, people like the guy who started his own company paving roads in South Dakota has a pretty nice life, actually--he chose a lucrative employment, which gives him enough money and enough time to enjoy his family, and to life a relatively worry-free life (which also provided him enough stability to raise a couple of amazing kids and have a solid relationship with his wife). Plus money enough to do the leisure things he enjoys.

That is so often discounted.

I followed my dream. I make pretty decent (maybe more than decent) money at it.

But I tell you, I admire the people who regard their jobs as a means to an end.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
I found my passion in my field and I am very excited to work in that field and will not be purchasing luxury cars with my salary, but it should be double what I am making now.

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
Also, "follow the money" isn't necessarily bad advice, but "follow the money and go into medicine" is very poor across-the-board advice. Medicine isn't a quick path to riches these days, and not everyone is suited to a career in it even if it was.

CakeEater

I find the 'follow your dream' thing interesting when it comes to sport. You see so many interviews with Olympians etc where they attribute their success to their hard work and dedication, and their family's support etc. And yes, they did have all those things. But plenty of people were exactly as dedicated, and worked just as hard, but were three inches too short, or not enough natural muscle building hormones or whatever, and didn't qualify.

And then need the same shoulder reconstructions at age 30 that the successful athletes have, but without the medal in their cabinet.

The 'you can dream it, you can do it' thing is really false and unrealistic. I could dream of being a famous ballerina all I wanted, but my 6 foot tall body was never going to be successful in that way.

poundcake

I meant that "be a doctor, get rich" hasn't been good career advice for almost a generation now. The people I know who went into medicine because they thought they'd make tons of money ended up inhumanely overworked, and so in debt that even if they had doubts about their careers, they had to take certain jobs in the field just to pay off their school bills and insurance to practice. Ditto law. One of my friends went into law to "help people" and because she'd "always make money" at it. By the time she graduated, she was so disenchanted with the politics of the field that she didn't want to work in it any more, but couldn't afford any other way to pay off her debts. Thirteen years later, and she's miserable.

Follow your dreams, but if your dreams won't pay the rent, find another way to pay the rent, and keep following your dreams.

oz diva

• The Classics are SO last Century
A friend moved to Austria for school a year ago. You would not believe the number of people who have asked her if she's going to see kangaroos and koalas, or wants them to "put another shrimp on the barbie" and that sort of thing. And when she points out that, no, Austria is quite different from Australia, it isn't even that people misheard/misunderstood. It's that most of them didn't realize there was a country called Austria in the first place.  ???
Many years ago my sister worked as a nanny in Florida. Quite often people would tell her her English was great, considering she was Australian.

Victoria

Free Range Hippy Chick

I find the 'follow your dream' thing interesting when it comes to sport. You see so many interviews with Olympians etc where they attribute their success to their hard work and dedication, and their family's support etc. And yes, they did have all those things. But plenty of people were exactly as dedicated, and worked just as hard, but were three inches too short, or not enough natural muscle building hormones or whatever, and didn't qualify.

And then need the same shoulder reconstructions at age 30 that the successful athletes have, but without the medal in their cabinet.

The 'you can dream it, you can do it' thing is really false and unrealistic. I could dream of being a famous ballerina all I wanted, but my 6 foot tall body was never going to be successful in that way.

And the same with the various talent programmes on TV. 'I deserve this! I want it so badly! I've worked so hard!' Yes, sweetie, maybe you are doing it for the granny who's dying, and maybe you have worked yourself into a lather, but that doesn't affect the fact that you sing like a bandsaw in a bathtub and dance like a rhino on speed. You may want it but you have no talent.