News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 15, 2017, 06:31:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People  (Read 1301457 times)

Hmmmmm

Re: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People
« Reply #5925 on: November 19, 2017, 01:45:26 PM »
Is this talking about previously frozen fish purchased from a grocery store?  It doesn't seem to go along with current food safety guidelines.  Also, you don't know how old the fish from the grocery store is.

The packaging should tell you if it was previously frozen or not and the fresh fish should be labelled by packaging date. So you really should know how old the fish is unless the grocery store is doing something shady.

The person quoted in the previous post works at a processing plant so that person is talking about very fresh fish and is probably not taking into account shipping times from source to store.

I usually don't buy fish from the fish counter, so I don't know how they put the date on there.  If the guidelines from the store say to eat it within 12 hours of purchase, I don't think you should be waiting several days to eat it.

Id say unless you bought it from an actual fish market, then eat it within a day.

In the US, the FDA says fish will keep in the refrigerator for 2 days after purchasing. If you need to keep it longer than that, you should freeze. Of course, it's always best to ask about the freshness of the fish when you buy it.

I have never heard anyone say this should be eaten with in 12 hours of purchase. I'd love to know what store gives that guidance. I would assume they were selling some pretty old fish.

Slartibartfast

• Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #5926 on: December 09, 2017, 03:14:41 PM »
Christmas party today, and a friend was telling a story on her MIL. Apparently the MIL had one of those really big candles - the kind you use for decoration and never actually burn because they're like a foot across - and it was dusty after being in storage for a year.

So she put it in the dishwasher.

Couldn't figure out how it disappeared while in there. The next day, the whole house had to be roto-rootered and the guy who came out was all "I've never seen this before! What is this stuff?" And the MIL just shrugged...

This particular MIL sounds like a real piece of work, but the stories about her are hilarious :-D

lilfox

« Reply #5927 on: December 09, 2017, 04:00:47 PM »
Is this talking about previously frozen fish purchased from a grocery store?  It doesn't seem to go along with current food safety guidelines.  Also, you don't know how old the fish from the grocery store is.

The packaging should tell you if it was previously frozen or not and the fresh fish should be labelled by packaging date. So you really should know how old the fish is unless the grocery store is doing something shady.

The person quoted in the previous post works at a processing plant so that person is talking about very fresh fish and is probably not taking into account shipping times from source to store.

I usually don't buy fish from the fish counter, so I don't know how they put the date on there.  If the guidelines from the store say to eat it within 12 hours of purchase, I don't think you should be waiting several days to eat it.

Id say unless you bought it from an actual fish market, then eat it within a day.

In the US, the FDA says fish will keep in the refrigerator for 2 days after purchasing. If you need to keep it longer than that, you should freeze. Of course, it's always best to ask about the freshness of the fish when you buy it.

I have never heard anyone say this should be eaten with in 12 hours of purchase. I'd love to know what store gives that guidance. I would assume they were selling some pretty old fish.

A lot of the fish at the counter was previously frozen and has been (mostly) thawed to sell within a day or two.  If you buy that kind (it'll say on the tag or on the package), you should not refreeze it.  I don't know the official recommendations but IME it should be eaten within a day or two, any longer and it might not make you sick but might really smell and taste off.

I would also say there's a big difference between fish tasting like fish (good) or tasting too fishy (bad).  "Fishy" is like "gamey" - not how it's supposed to taste.

jpcher

« Reply #5928 on: December 10, 2017, 01:50:48 PM »
Christmas party today, and a friend was telling a story on her MIL. Apparently the MIL had one of those really big candles - the kind you use for decoration and never actually burn because they're like a foot across - and it was dusty after being in storage for a year.

Couldn't figure out how it disappeared while in there. The next day, the whole house had to be roto-rootered and the guy who came out was all "I've never seen this before! What is this stuff?" And the MIL just shrugged...

This particular MIL sounds like a real piece of work, but the stories about her are hilarious :-D

Oh.My.Goodness. I think this story wins the internet for the day! ;D

LadyDyani

• So it goes. -Kurt Vonnegut
« Reply #5929 on: December 13, 2017, 08:45:53 AM »

Please ask your friend for more stories...
English doesn't borrow from other languages, it follows them down dark alleys and beats them up and searches their pockets for loose grammar.

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
« Reply #5930 on: December 13, 2017, 09:17:02 AM »

Please ask your friend for more stories...

VorGuy seconds that request - after insisting that something like that should only happen in comedy movies & tv shows...I reminded him about a friend & coworker of mine thirty years ago whose ILs chewed her out for not having chickens to deal with the scraps of food on the kids' plates (instead of a garbage disposal) and then MIL "accidentally" ran two crystal shot glasses through the garbage disposal while scraping the kids' plates into the sink.  Apparently Grandma had already had a little whiskey with breakfast...
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 03:04:38 PM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

Shalamar

« Reply #5931 on: December 13, 2017, 11:15:08 AM »
Apparently, my parents have to be told repeatedly that if a parcel arrives in November or December from an address they don't know, they should ask me before opening it - because it's probably a Christmas present from me.  (They live in a different province, and we don't get together during the holidays.)  Twice this year, they've opened presents early. 

The kicker is that I was on the phone with Dad yesterday, and I said "You should be receiving two more parcels in the mail" - to which he replied only half-jokingly "Just two?"  I gritted my teeth and said evenly "There were two more, but you've already unwrapped them - remember?"

Dawse

« Reply #5932 on: December 13, 2017, 01:50:52 PM »
I'm not sure if this is something every adult should necessarily know, but it seems like it should be pretty common sense for parents or anyone who spends lots of time around small children... and that is that some babies are just sicky babies, and it doesn't automatically mean that a baby is unwell.

Some friends of mine have three children; the eldest two were apparently very easy babies in terms of feeding, while the youngest has something of a 'tricky tummy'. Whilst visiting grandparents, Grandma was warned not to bounce baby too vigorously after lunch, as it was likely to result in reappearance of said lunch. Grandma didn't listen, and lunch did indeed reappear... to Grandma's total panic. 'Why would she throw up? She must be ill! She must be really unwell! We need to phone the doctor!' Apparently it took quite a long time to convince Grandma that baby really was fine, and is just particularly sensitive to excess jiggling.

As my friend said to me later, 'how did she raise two kids of her own plus an assortment of nieces nephews and grandchildren, and not realise that sometimes babies are just sick without them being, well, sick?'
'A troth, by the way, is a small furry creature with fins, the offspring of a trout and a sloth. I often wonder what they saw in each other, but then I suppose the sloth, being upside down, would tend to have a different slant on things.'

AustenFan

« Reply #5933 on: December 13, 2017, 03:52:29 PM »
Apparently, my parents have to be told repeatedly that if a parcel arrives in November or December from an address they don't know, they should ask me before opening it - because it's probably a Christmas present from me.  (They live in a different province, and we don't get together during the holidays.)  Twice this year, they've opened presents early. 

The kicker is that I was on the phone with Dad yesterday, and I said "You should be receiving two more parcels in the mail" - to which he replied only half-jokingly "Just two?"  I gritted my teeth and said evenly "There were two more, but you've already unwrapped them - remember?"

But...why couldn't you have it wrapped so they know it's a gift? Why should they hold off opening any thing just in case you send them something? Why can't you just let them know where the item is coming from so they know it's from you and not to open it? Why do they have to check with you rather than you letting them know when you order something? Why can't you just check the shipping date and let them know "on December 20th a package will arrive from Anytown, USA. It's a present from me for Christmas, please don't open it until then."

Them having to call you any time they receive a package they don't know the sender on doesn't seem reasonable at all.

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #5934 on: December 13, 2017, 04:45:55 PM »
Today I was talking to someone I frequently deal with in a business situation, the kind where you get to know them fairly well over the years. Think manicurist, masseuse, dentist, librarian... The person admired my sweater and I explained that I got it online at "SweatersRUs." I used her phone to call up the website with the sweater, and she got very excited.

"If I give you the money, will you order me one?"  This wasn't being an SS. It turns out that she had never, ever ordered anything online and was scared to try. This is not someone who doesn't use the internet. She is on Facebook and uses other internet sites, as well as email. But she had no idea how online ordering works. When I asked what browser she used, she said "what's a browser?" I found Chrome on her phone and got the SweatersRUs order page.

"How do I select the sweater? How do I order? How do I tell them my credit card number? What's a 'cart'?" I tried to talk her through it, but she was seriously confused.

I had a bright idea and found the SweatersRUs ordering phone number. I dictated the item number to her and she happily wrote down all the info so she could call them this evening. I think the emerald green will look good on her and I hope she manages to get it.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

Shalamar

But...why couldn't you have it wrapped so they know it's a gift? Why should they hold off opening any thing just in case you send them something? Why can't you just let them know where the item is coming from so they know it's from you and not to open it? Why do they have to check with you rather than you letting them know when you order something? Why can't you just check the shipping date and let them know "on December 20th a package will arrive from Anytown, USA. It's a present from me for Christmas, please don't open it until then."

Them having to call you any time they receive a package they don't know the sender on doesn't seem reasonable at all.

That's a lot of questions.  :)  The short answer to all of them is:  they never receive parcels in the mail unless they're from me.  So, getting a parcel in November or December is 99.9% sure to be from me, and it's almost definitely a Christmas present.

ClaireC79

or wrap it in christmas wrapping inside the parcel, which is what I would do

My nan used to write on things do not open until X date (birthday or christmas)  so it was obvious what it was for

Hillia

or wrap it in christmas wrapping inside the parcel, which is what I would do

My nan used to write on things do not open until X date (birthday or christmas)  so it was obvious what it was for hi

Since the OP mentions 'strange addresses', I'm assuming that the packages are shipping directly from the seller.  Not every online retailer offers gift wrapping. 

Shalamar

Yup, what Hillia said.