News:

• February 21, 2018, 05:45:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People  (Read 1423264 times)

menley

Re: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People
« Reply #6030 on: January 11, 2018, 07:26:16 AM »
As far as the hanging out in parking lots discussion, I did experience that in my fairly small home town. It's such a foreign concept where I live now, since police and security as well as the business management tell people to leave and are willing to press charges.

This. It wasn't a big deal in my hometown because everything pretty much closed at 9 or 10 so my friends and I spent a lot of evenings at Fazzoli's because they had endless free breadsticks, and hanging around the Walmart electronics department goofing off on the electric pianos. If the weather was nice enough, a lot of teens hung out at various parking lots. My town wasn't QUITE small enough for everyone to know everyone else, but a) it was small enough the police definitely knew who the troublemakers were, and b) my town had almost zero racial diversity. (Would be nice to say that's not a factor, but I KNOW it would have been different if everyone involved hadn't been white.)

In my current city, which is both larger and much more diverse, there are stores I won't go to because I'm not comfortable with the riff-raff who hang out in the parking lots. I think the police tend to chase them out of the nicer places so they all end up at the Walmart by my house, which means I get catcalled and harassed if I ever go to that shopping complex. (I avoid it even though it's the closest superstore to me...) There's a lot less delineation here between "they're just kids being kids" and "those are potential criminals and you never can tell." Incidentally, a lot of the teens who do this are non-white.

Wow.

I cannot believe that such racist statements as your last sentence are considered appropriate for a website focused on etiquette.

Hmmmmm

« Reply #6031 on: January 11, 2018, 07:57:01 AM »
As far as the hanging out in parking lots discussion, I did experience that in my fairly small home town. It's such a foreign concept where I live now, since police and security as well as the business management tell people to leave and are willing to press charges.

This. It wasn't a big deal in my hometown because everything pretty much closed at 9 or 10 so my friends and I spent a lot of evenings at Fazzoli's because they had endless free breadsticks, and hanging around the Walmart electronics department goofing off on the electric pianos. If the weather was nice enough, a lot of teens hung out at various parking lots. My town wasn't QUITE small enough for everyone to know everyone else, but a) it was small enough the police definitely knew who the troublemakers were, and b) my town had almost zero racial diversity. (Would be nice to say that's not a factor, but I KNOW it would have been different if everyone involved hadn't been white.)

In my current city, which is both larger and much more diverse, there are stores I won't go to because I'm not comfortable with the riff-raff who hang out in the parking lots. I think the police tend to chase them out of the nicer places so they all end up at the Walmart by my house, which means I get catcalled and harassed if I ever go to that shopping complex. (I avoid it even though it's the closest superstore to me...) There's a lot less delineation here between "they're just kids being kids" and "those are potential criminals and you never can tell." Incidentally, a lot of the teens who do this are non-white.

I don't know what you are trying to say but let me tell you how this comes across to me.

White kids hanging out in parking lots are just kids being kids.
Kids of any other ethnicity hanging out are most likely criminals.

I'll be upfront here and state I'm reporting your post to the moderators.

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #6032 on: January 11, 2018, 07:58:57 AM »
I like to believe the best about intentions of people I know, until they prove me wrong.

A long term associate recently left to take a very high position at another college.
This person has had some complaints before about inappropriate use of institutional property, and I thought it was petty and not worthy of serious thought.

The associate took the institutional laptop, portable wifi router, cell phone, and a brand new high end tablet that had been purchased to be used at events for data collection. The associate gave the tablet to their school aged child to use.

The associate hid the fact that they took the tablet by resealing the box and putting a book in it to hide the fact it was empty.

It is now a month later, and the associate is trying to return the property in exchange for charges not being filed.

I'm both sad and disappointed as I considered associate to be a good person.  >:(
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

cass2591

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6033 on: January 11, 2018, 01:05:35 PM »
Slartibartfast, I hope by now you realize how offensive your post was. I cannot ban you for thinking what you think but I sure can stop you from posting racist crap on this board. You do it again and it will result in a permanent ban.
There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened. ~ Mark Twain

Adopting a pet won't change the world, but it will change the world for that pet.

Team HoundMom

« Reply #6034 on: January 11, 2018, 02:33:29 PM »
"An adult should really know" not to bring up race on an online discussion board.  Wow.

I actually get annoyed by the saying "act like adults", "an adult should know better", "grow up", that sort of thing. Have you guys seen how adults behave?!

Nuku

« Reply #6035 on: January 11, 2018, 06:06:58 PM »
"An adult should really know" not to bring up race on an online discussion board.  Wow.

I actually get annoyed by the saying "act like adults", "an adult should know better", "grow up", that sort of thing. Have you guys seen how adults behave?!

Kind of like how Miss Manners points out that when people say, "Just use common sense," they should make sure the person actually has some first.

kckgirl

« Reply #6036 on: January 12, 2018, 07:35:38 AM »
Slartibartfast made a mistake. A board moderator addressed it. That should be the end of it. There is no need to continue stomping on it and mashing it into the ground.
Maryland

Elisabunny

« Reply #6037 on: January 12, 2018, 07:03:08 PM »
Can I give an alternate view to Slartibartfest's post?  I read it as saying, that her town of origin had a "kids will be kids" view of loitering partly because they were mostly all the same race.  However, her current town comes down a lot heavier on teens, possibly because there are a lot more minorities.  If I am understanding correctly, the racism is not hers, but her town's.
You must remember this: a ghoti is still a fish...

cass2591

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6038 on: January 12, 2018, 07:06:39 PM »
Seriously? The discussion is closed. Move on.
There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened. ~ Mark Twain

Adopting a pet won't change the world, but it will change the world for that pet.

JoW

« Reply #6039 on: January 12, 2018, 08:46:58 PM »
You cannot donate blood if you have a contagious illness. 
I recently started volunteering at Red Cross blood drives.  I usually do donor check in - get them to sign in, give them a name tag, and have them read the "Before you donate" pamphlet.  All stuff that can be done by someone like me with no medical training. 
At one of the first drives I did a potential donor walked up sniffing and snorting, it was obvious she had a cold or worse.  I told her "You can't donate if you have a contagious illness" and she left.  At least she was nice about it. 

Shalamar

« Reply #6040 on: January 15, 2018, 10:27:38 AM »
That reminds me of when there was an urgent call for a relatively rare type of blood in my city - a young girl was desperately ill and needed blood.  I had that type, so I drove to the location to donate.  It was a very cold day, and a pretty long drive.  I got there only to see a sign on the door that said "Donors must be between 18 and 35 years of age."  I was 51 at the time, so that was a no-go.

I'm not sure whether I was the silly one there, or the people running the blood drive were.   I had no idea that there would be an age limit on donations, but perhaps I should have?

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #6041 on: January 15, 2018, 10:47:01 AM »
That reminds me of when there was an urgent call for a relatively rare type of blood in my city - a young girl was desperately ill and needed blood.  I had that type, so I drove to the location to donate.  It was a very cold day, and a pretty long drive.  I got there only to see a sign on the door that said "Donors must be between 18 and 35 years of age."  I was 51 at the time, so that was a no-go.

I'm not sure whether I was the silly one there, or the people running the blood drive were.   I had no idea that there would be an age limit on donations, but perhaps I should have?

In the US, there is a minimum age, but no maximum age. In fact, there is real concern that not enough younger people are becoming regular donors. I found some recent data that indicate that 60% of donors are over age 40 and 45% are over age 50.

Edited to add: I looked up some other countries. In Australia, it varies from 71 to 81, depending on the specific situation. Some EU countries have an upper limit of 70. Itís 66  or 70 in the UK, depending on specifics. Itís 60 in Mauritius.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 10:56:38 AM by nutraxfornerves »

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #6042 on: January 15, 2018, 11:07:14 AM »
I believe it is 70 in Canada but you can continue to donate beyond 70 if you have been a regular donor and your health remains good.  The biggest issue is medications.  The older you get, you tend to be on medications and that is what prevents you from donating.  My Dad was in his mid 70's when he gave it up.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

rose red

« Reply #6043 on: January 15, 2018, 11:55:32 AM »
Ok. Maybe there's a good reason for an age limit cap but............35?! :o

HoneyBee42

« Reply #6044 on: January 15, 2018, 11:58:30 AM »
Just in a collision today because other driver didn't know this:  if there has been a snow and all the roads aren't cleared, you cannot drive as if the roads are dry.

I was sitting at a traffic-light controlled intersection, facing north and preparing to turn left onto the major street running east-west.  The light changed, so I had the green light.  Car in front of me went, when a car traveling east turned south onto the road I was on, and hit my car around the back drivers' side door.  She had been driving at a speed that *might* have been ok for taking that turn if the roads were dry (but I still would've thought a little too fast).  Friday, we had had snow + freezing rain/sleet, and while most of the roads were in pretty decent shape, it then started snowing again last night, so there were 2-3 inches of snow.  I don't live in an area that gets a lot of snow, and the roads involved are not the hospital routes, so while the E-W street is a major street, it is second to the hospital routes, and the road I was on is a 2ndary road that doesn't get plowed/salted until the hospital routes and all the major streets are taken care of.

Little damage to my car (it's driveable and the impacted door still works), I don't think I'm hurt (although I'm concerned there may be some soft tissue stuff that crops up tomorrow), her car was pretty banged up, but not all the damage was new (she wasn't even sure what was the new and what was the pre-existing).  Waiting to hear from other drivers' insurance company ... I called mine and my agent handled getting the claim going (this is another '05 car, so I only carry liability and comprehensive, not collision .. comprehensive is just because there are a *lot* of deer around here).

But seriously!  Slow down (and leave more space when following).  I'm just glad I was the one driving and not one of my kids.