News:

• February 25, 2018, 07:50:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People  (Read 1429280 times)

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
Re: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People
« Reply #6045 on: January 16, 2018, 10:59:10 AM »
^Glad you are mostly okay.

To the person driving in the left lane of the expressway.
Maybe you didn't know that it's a bad idea to drive slower than the speed limit in the left lane.
Maybe you didn't know it's a bad idea to drive with a car that is currently being held together with caution tape.  :o
Maybe you didn't realize that your hood (bonnet) was being held down by caution tape tied to your bumper.

You should not drive that falling apart vehicle on the expressway, and perhaps anywhere.

Not to mention the fact that your passenger was leaning out of the open window so far they could not have been belted in.  :-X
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #6046 on: January 16, 2018, 01:20:14 PM »
I just bought a new refrigerator/freezer. I'm someone who always reads manuals. The manual includes a statement that the ice maker will not produce ice unless the refrigerator is hooked up to a water line. I assume they would not have put that in unless they were tired of customer service calls about "ice maker doesn't work," followed by "Water line? What does that have to do with it?"

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

DanaJ

« Reply #6047 on: January 17, 2018, 04:42:09 PM »
I believe it is 70 in Canada but you can continue to donate beyond 70 if you have been a regular donor and your health remains good.  The biggest issue is medications.  The older you get, you tend to be on medications and that is what prevents you from donating.  My Dad was in his mid 70's when he gave it up.

NEW: As of last year, Canadian Blood Services has elimiated the upper age limit altogether. It used to be that after 70 you needed a doctor's note, but that age limit is now totally gone. You still have to meet the general criteria though. So as you pointed out, a lot of medications could eliminate the elderly.

I just bought a new refrigerator/freezer. I'm someone who always reads manuals. The manual includes a statement that the ice maker will not produce ice unless the refrigerator is hooked up to a water line. I assume they would not have put that in unless they were tired of customer service calls about "ice maker doesn't work," followed by "Water line? What does that have to do with it?"

Our old house had a fridge with an ice maker. It had never been hooked up to a water line and so did not make any ice. But needing a water line for the fridge is not something that had ever previously crossed my mind until then. It was only during some kitchen upgrades that the contractor asked if we wanted a line for the fridge that I ever even thought about it. We declined because it just seemed like something that could make an expensive mess if something broke down or got leaky.

Shalamar

« Reply #6048 on: January 17, 2018, 04:45:17 PM »
I have friends who aren't great with money, and they decided to shell out a heck of a lot of loot for a fancy top-of-the-line fridge that produced ice.  You know where this is going ... they had no idea that they had to install a water line, so the extra bell-and-whistle they'd paid for went unused.

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #6049 on: January 24, 2018, 02:11:02 PM »
More new appliance manual fun.

The smoothtop stove: Never cook directly on the glass. Always use cookware. (Illustrated by an egg being fried directly on the burner.)

Nutrax

Cleargleam

« Reply #6050 on: January 24, 2018, 02:17:25 PM »

The smoothtop stove: Never cook directly on the glass. Always use cookware. (Illustrated by an egg being fried directly on the burner.)

My parents bought a glass top stove when I was much younger.  My youngest brother, in a fit of pique, wanted spam on his pizza.  None of the older siblings would prepare it, so said younger brother heated up a burner and dropped the spam directly on the burner. 

What a mess! 

That said, he was only about 7 years old at the time. 

Nuku

« Reply #6051 on: January 24, 2018, 02:17:47 PM »

This seems logical to me, but I can kind of see where this came from. Until it finally broke when I was in college, my parents' gas stove had a center panel that could be removed to reveal a griddle. You could cook food directly on this part of the stove. (It was actually pretty cool, and if I ever buy a house, it's on my wish list for the awesome stove I will eventually own.)

We bought a new microwave last year. There are a lot of warnings in that manual, too. And some of them I think come from people not understanding that what you can do with a gas or electric oven does not necessarily jibe with what you can do with a microwave oven...

pattycake

« Reply #6052 on: January 24, 2018, 07:27:09 PM »

My parents bought a glass top stove when I was much younger.  My youngest brother, in a fit of pique, wanted spam on his pizza.  None of the older siblings would prepare it, so said younger brother heated up a burner and dropped the spam directly on the burner. 

What a mess! 

I have been using one of these stoves recently while I house sit at a friend's. I don't really like it. Sometimes I didn't have the pan sitting right over the element. Once, I forgot I had spilled a little bit on the cool side of the stove, and when I went to use that side, remembered *after* the element was hot. Ack! Thought I had burned it onto the stove forever. But I did find the stove top cleaner, and scrubbed, mightily, for several minutes, and it thankfully went away! Unless the old type disappear altogether, I don't think I would get one of them.

Hillia

« Reply #6053 on: January 24, 2018, 07:47:26 PM »

What a mess! 

I have been using one of these stoves recently while I house sit at a friend's. I don't really like it. Sometimes I didn't have the pan sitting right over the element. Once, I forgot I had spilled a little bit on the cool side of the stove, and when I went to use that side, remembered *after* the element was hot. Ack! Thought I had burned it onto the stove forever. But I did find the stove top cleaner, and scrubbed, mightily, for several minutes, and it thankfully went away! Unless the old type disappear altogether, I don't think I would get one of them.

I have one, and i hate it.  I'm a messy cook and spills are  common.  I've found that i have to clean up spills immediately or it becomes a real hassle.  You can't use regular abrasive cleaners, and i haven't had much success with the special cleaner made for glass top stoves.  Vinegar and baking soda works pretty well if i leave it on to soak for a few minutes.  The oven is treated with some special coating that is supposed to clean with just steam, but again, if you don't clean it immediately it's useless.  Can't use regular oven cleaner or you void the warranty.  And to add insult to injury, cast iron is not recommended because of the possibility of cracking the top.

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #6054 on: January 24, 2018, 09:45:36 PM »
My new microwave was a gift from someone with big time industry connections, who got a top-of-the-line model at a huge discount

Do not allow children to swing on the microwave door.
It is normal for the microwave to make a humming noise while it is operating

The microwave actually has a childproof lock. I can also choose from among several fan and turntable speeds. And control how fast messages scroll by.

Nutrax

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #6055 on: January 24, 2018, 10:43:59 PM »

What a mess! 

I have one, and i hate it.  I'm a messy cook and spills are  common.  I've found that i have to clean up spills immediately or it becomes a real hassle.  You can't use regular abrasive cleaners, and i haven't had much success with the special cleaner made for glass top stoves.  Vinegar and baking soda works pretty well if i leave it on to soak for a few minutes.  The oven is treated with some special coating that is supposed to clean with just steam, but again, if you don't clean it immediately it's useless.  Can't use regular oven cleaner or you void the warranty.  And to add insult to injury, cast iron is not recommended because of the possibility of cracking the top.

I've had good luck with REALLY hot water, and bar towels from the restaurant supply store - just heat the water, pour it onto the stove top, and let it soak for a minute. Be careful that you don't burn your hands, though.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

andi

« Reply #6056 on: January 26, 2018, 09:30:02 PM »
See nice the whole thing is annoying me:  Donít eat laundry soap!  In any firm!!

Ok. Sorry.

gramma dishes

« Reply #6057 on: January 27, 2018, 08:30:03 AM »
See nice the whole thing is annoying me:  Donít eat laundry soap!  In any firm!!

Ok. Sorry.

You have totally lost me here.   :-\

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #6058 on: January 27, 2018, 09:15:20 AM »

Ok. Sorry.

Looks like The Attack of the Autocorrect about this news. Tide Pod challenge

Nutrax

TabathasGran

« Reply #6059 on: January 27, 2018, 01:02:12 PM »

Ok. Sorry.

Looks like The Attack of the Autocorrect about this news. Tide Pod challenge
Perhaps:

See now the whole thing is annoying me: Donít eat laundry soap! In any form!!