News: IMPORTANT UPDATE REGARDING SITE IN FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT FOLDER.

• May 23, 2018, 04:15:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People  (Read 1569420 times)

Gladly

Re: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People
« Reply #6045 on: March 29, 2018, 09:36:57 AM »
How is it pronounced in NY?

I grew up not far from the village of Houston in Scotland, and that is pronounced the same way as the Texas one.

gramma dishes

« Reply #6046 on: March 29, 2018, 09:45:46 AM »
How is it pronounced in NY?

I grew up not far from the village of Houston in Scotland, and that is pronounced the same way as the Texas one.

House ton.  (How stun.)

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #6047 on: March 29, 2018, 09:52:59 AM »
As a young teen learning how to cook, I made Worcestershire (sauce) into four syllables.  Wor ces ter shire.

I bet the last of those was pronounced "shy-er"? :)

I'm just lucky that I don't have to pronounce American place names to any Americans - I struggle enough with many of the southern English town names! ;)

Even Americans will get confused, because it's a very large country and there are a lot of regionalisms. There's a "Tremont Street" in Boston, with a short "eh" as in "bend." I pronounced that wrong for a while, because back in New York City, the "Tremont" in "East Tremont" has a long "ee" as in "tree." "Newark" can be pronounced as "new-urk," "new ark," or "nork," depending which city of that name you're referring to. And, one of my favorites: Rolla, Missouri is named after Raleigh, North Carolina, because "Rolla" is how the founders of the Missouri city pronounced "Raleigh."

I know someone, originally from the midwest, who has lived in the Netherlands for many years. When she visited New York, she pronounced our Dutch-derived place names the way those spellings would be pronounced in Dutch today, and confused just about everyone.

Living in Philly means being pretty close to both new-urk, New Jersey, and new-ark, Delaware. Both spelled Newark, of course.

kckgirl

« Reply #6048 on: March 29, 2018, 10:14:37 AM »
Living in Philly means being pretty close to both new-urk, New Jersey, and new-ark, Delaware. Both spelled Newark, of course.

I also live near those Newarks. Local companies hiring someone for radio/television ads really should make sure the speaker knows how the local folks pronounce place names.

rose red

« Reply #6049 on: March 29, 2018, 10:47:17 AM »
Maybe the discussion regarding regionalisms and pronunciations can get it's own spin-off thread?

Figgie

« Reply #6050 on: April 01, 2018, 01:37:38 PM »
This incident doesn't need a full thread and I was unsure about where to put it, but thought this was probably the best thread, although I said nothing to the person involved.  :)

I was at a hotel (my spouse had a conference).  Our hotel room was on the third floor and the lobby was on the second floor.  There was no floor below the lobby, at least not that could be accessed from the elevator in our tower.  I was waiting for the elevator in order to go down to the lobby floor and a person who was attending the same conference as my spouse (I could see the lanyard out of the corner of my eye), came up to wait for the elevator and stood slightly behind me and to my right.

The elevator arrived, I got on (no one was on it to get off) and pushed the lobby button which was on the right hand side of the elevator doors when facing out.  I then moved away from the buttons and sat with my back to the back wall, looking forward on the same side as the elevator buttons.  This was an average size elevator...could hold about 8-10 people. 

The person who had been standing slightly behind me and to my right, entered the elevator, walked forward and stood facing the back of the elevator, facing directly into the corner.  So, I am at the back on the elevator facing forward and the other person is also at the back of the elevator, but facing the corner, not facing forward or to the side.

Basically, they entered the elevator and then went and stood facing the corner like a little child who is being punished by being told to stand in the corner.  I didn't say or do anything, but it did kind of freak me out a bit, probably because it was so odd.  Fortunately, it took only a few seconds to get to the lobby and I exited without looking at the person again. :)

I still can't think of any reason why they stood like that, but maybe it had something to do with me being in a wheelchair?

GreenBird

« Reply #6051 on: April 01, 2018, 02:30:10 PM »
This incident doesn't need a full thread and I was unsure about where to put it, but thought this was probably the best thread, although I said nothing to the person involved.  :)

I was at a hotel (my spouse had a conference).  Our hotel room was on the third floor and the lobby was on the second floor.  There was no floor below the lobby, at least not that could be accessed from the elevator in our tower.  I was waiting for the elevator in order to go down to the lobby floor and a person who was attending the same conference as my spouse (I could see the lanyard out of the corner of my eye), came up to wait for the elevator and stood slightly behind me and to my right.

The elevator arrived, I got on (no one was on it to get off) and pushed the lobby button which was on the right hand side of the elevator doors when facing out.  I then moved away from the buttons and sat with my back to the back wall, looking forward on the same side as the elevator buttons.  This was an average size elevator...could hold about 8-10 people. 

The person who had been standing slightly behind me and to my right, entered the elevator, walked forward and stood facing the back of the elevator, facing directly into the corner.  So, I am at the back on the elevator facing forward and the other person is also at the back of the elevator, but facing the corner, not facing forward or to the side.

Basically, they entered the elevator and then went and stood facing the corner like a little child who is being punished by being told to stand in the corner.  I didn't say or do anything, but it did kind of freak me out a bit, probably because it was so odd.  Fortunately, it took only a few seconds to get to the lobby and I exited without looking at the person again. :)

I still can't think of any reason why they stood like that, but maybe it had something to do with me being in a wheelchair?

There is some "social experiment" thing where someone will go into an elevator and stand facing the back just to see how the other people in the elevator react.  I think it's supposed to be testing social conformity/peoples' reactions to nonconformity or something.  Does anyone say anything about it, do other people who get on start facing the back also because this person did, do people seem uncomfortable, etc.  Is the hotel near a college/university?  Maybe someone was doing this as part of a psychology class project?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2018, 02:34:58 PM by GreenBird »

Figgie

« Reply #6052 on: April 01, 2018, 02:57:41 PM »
There is some "social experiment" thing where someone will go into an elevator and stand facing the back just to see how the other people in the elevator react.  I think it's supposed to be testing social conformity/peoples' reactions to nonconformity or something.  Does anyone say anything about it, do other people who get on start facing the back also because this person did, do people seem uncomfortable, etc.  Is the hotel near a college/university?  Maybe someone was doing this as part of a psychology class project?

The resort is pretty isolated and not near any colleges or universities as far as I can tell.  Plus the person was attending a very expensive conference (their lanyard was the same type as the one my spouse wore).

No one else got on the elevator, as we were only going one floor down and it was just the two of us waiting for the elevator.

It was just odd.  I decided that the best way to handle it was to pretend it wasn't happening. :)

rose red

« Reply #6053 on: April 01, 2018, 03:08:33 PM »

The resort is pretty isolated and not near any colleges or universities as far as I can tell.  Plus the person was attending a very expensive conference (their lanyard was the same type as the one my spouse wore).

No one else got on the elevator, as we were only going one floor down and it was just the two of us waiting for the elevator.

It was just odd.  I decided that the best way to handle it was to pretend it wasn't happening. :)

I know how I would react. Terrified! :o

Hmmmmm

« Reply #6054 on: April 03, 2018, 09:52:21 AM »

Are you sure he wasn't using his cell phone? I can imagine someone reading something confidential on their cell and having the habit of turning their back to others. But he could just be someone with social anxiety issues or could be claustrophobic and elevators set him off.

Girlie

« Reply #6055 on: April 03, 2018, 02:42:05 PM »
When I worked in a grocery store, there was a gentleman who was a regular customer who was - we guessed - autistic. He would come into the store and stand with his back to the registers for a long time, until someone was available to go and help him do his shopping.

I don't know why, but this story reminds me of him. Perhaps this person also had social or other issues that makes them feel more comfortable turning their backs to other people.

Sirius

« Reply #6056 on: April 03, 2018, 04:28:15 PM »
Maybe this person was terrified of elevators but had some reason not to take the stairs?  Really, the only time I've seen people standing that way were prisoners in elevators when I was on jury duty. 

Figgie

« Reply #6057 on: April 03, 2018, 06:26:16 PM »
  Are you sure he wasn't using his cell phone? I can imagine someone reading something confidential on their cell and having the habit of turning their back to others. But he could just be someone with social anxiety issues or could be claustrophobic and elevators set him off.

No cell phone.  The steps were directly to the left of the elevator, but he might have had some physical issues that would make it difficult to manage walking down a floor.  It wasn't that I couldn't see him...he was definitely visible to me, especially since it was just the two of us on the elevator. 

I was just choosing not to look since I didn't know what else to do.  :)

LadyBe205

« Reply #6058 on: April 03, 2018, 08:22:56 PM »

Maybe he was use to an elevator that opened on both sides?

GardenGal

« Reply #6059 on: April 03, 2018, 11:04:27 PM »
Maybe he was use to an elevator that opened on both sides?

I've been in an elevator like that a few times.  It's strange because the folks who know the elevator door that is opposite the one they entered will be their exit door all turn around, but since I don't know about it I still face the door I came in on. Makes me feel a tiny bit silly, but, hey, I have no way of knowing about which door will open next and no reason to suspect it'll not be the one I entered by.
"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai