News: IMPORTANT UPDATE REGARDING SITE IN FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT FOLDER.

• May 23, 2018, 12:49:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People  (Read 1568293 times)

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
Re: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People
« Reply #6075 on: April 10, 2018, 10:56:11 AM »
Krispies, of course!
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

ti_ax

« Reply #6076 on: April 10, 2018, 12:33:33 PM »
Where I used to live there was a Rice Fruit Farm. They didn't grow any rice.

Nuku

« Reply #6077 on: April 10, 2018, 06:04:47 PM »

I really hope Rice was their surname - I have seen some confusing things based on a surname that was also a common word used in a business name.

This does remind me of a local business. They have a last name that ends with an "s" and the next word in the business name is "Exteriors." Their business website has a URL with the entire name smooshed together (no dashes, etc.). I feel like a 12-year-old, but I laugh every time I see their commercial with the website prominently displayed at the bottom of the TV screen.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #6078 on: April 10, 2018, 11:47:14 PM »

I really hope Rice was their surname - I have seen some confusing things based on a surname that was also a common word used in a business name.

This does remind me of a local business. They have a last name that ends with an "s" and the next word in the business name is "Exteriors." Their business website has a URL with the entire name smooshed together (no dashes, etc.). I feel like a 12-year-old, but I laugh every time I see their commercial with the website prominently displayed at the bottom of the TV screen.

That reminds me of the age-old image floating around the internet of the storefront for Kids Exchange. Their logo was devoid of spaces.

Gladly

« Reply #6079 on: April 11, 2018, 02:56:05 AM »
.... and the stationery company Pen Island, whose web address had no spaces or punctuation.....

Mustard

« Reply #6080 on: April 11, 2018, 08:13:14 AM »
Re: popcorn at the funeral.  Many years ago my late FIL officiated at a funeral and went to the reception afterwards.  A member of the deceasedís family offered him a slice of fruit cake, announcing it was Ďmade by the corpseís own Ďandsí.  It didnít put him off the cake..

AfleetAlex

• Proud cat mom and Auntie
« Reply #6081 on: April 12, 2018, 01:11:18 PM »
My MIL was from northern Indiana and when started her garden in Illinois she grew popcorn. As a Brownie leader, I took a popcorn popper (legal then) and a couple of ears of dried popcorn to a meeting and had the girls strip the corn and we popped the corn. Just a leaning experience. I was stunned about the feedback of the parents indicating they did not know that popcorn grows in fields and itís corn.

I popped bags of popcorn that she had grown for her funeral reception and again lots of stunned comments.

We had a small garden growing up and my folks decided to do popcorn one year. I remember stripping each cob of the pointy hard kernels over a bucket and, despite wearing gloves, having tender thumbs for days afterward.

Surprisingly I love popcorn.  :D
I have a chronic case of foot-in-mouth disease.

Adelaide

« Reply #6082 on: April 12, 2018, 02:45:34 PM »
I told our new admin assistant that I was in the middle of an emergency call, so I couldn't start a scheduled call between myself, an employee, and an outside consultant. I forwarded the calendar invite with the recipient list, call-in number, and conference code.

Fifteen minutes after the call should have started, I walk into the admin assistant's cubicle and she's chatting on the phone with the employee. They used the employee's dial-in information because I hadn't sent the admin assistant my call leader PIN...and no one had told the consultant.

I should not have had to tell the admin assistant that she should have a) forwarded the employee's conference code information; or b) should have asked the consultant to circulate conference code information. I walked back to my desk to find a dozen "Hello, is anyone on the line/are you joining?" emails and a couple of missed calls from said consultant.

Twik

« Reply #6083 on: April 19, 2018, 11:22:10 AM »
My MIL was from northern Indiana and when started her garden in Illinois she grew popcorn. As a Brownie leader, I took a popcorn popper (legal then) and a couple of ears of dried popcorn to a meeting and had the girls strip the corn and we popped the corn. Just a leaning experience. I was stunned about the feedback of the parents indicating they did not know that popcorn grows in fields and itís corn.

I popped bags of popcorn that she had grown for her funeral reception and again lots of stunned comments.

We had a small garden growing up and my folks decided to do popcorn one year. I remember stripping each cob of the pointy hard kernels over a bucket and, despite wearing gloves, having tender thumbs for days afterward.

Surprisingly I love popcorn.  :D

I knew popcorn "grew," but I have to admit I was surprised last night watching a YouTube video on pioneer "parched corn" to discover regular corn would extrude its white interior when heated, just not explosively like the popping variety.
"The sky's the limit. Your sky. Your limit. Now, let's dance!"

vintagegal

I used to think a chicken egg, as laid, was analogous to a human egg, and that the yolk was the nucleus, i.e., it was one large cell. Wasn't until I had to slaughter and dress my first hen that I realized an egg, as laid, is more analogous to an embryo. When you open a chicken that is currently producing eggs, there is a "string of pearls" type configuration of different size eggs inside her (without shells, of course.)

siamesecat2965

But I also had to explain to a highly-educated attorney that cows do not produce milk until they have a calf.

I am a 44 year old grown adult woman and honestly did not know that about cows. Just never occurred to me. But I'm also a city kid - milk comes from the store, lol.

Same here. While this makes total sense, I've honestly never thought about it :)