Author Topic: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People  (Read 288383 times)

camlan

• Super Hero!

My mother tells the story of her best friend's mom, who made the most wonderful biscuits. Until the coffee cup she was using to measure broke, and the new one she got was a different size and held a different volume of flour.

My dear sister-in-law was kind enough to give me the recipe for her apple pie. But her measurements were in coffee cups and tea cups! So I had to ask my brother to convert the cups to something I could use. Because they live overseas, all their measuring cups are in MLs. So once I got the conversion from my brother, I then had to convert MLs to cups.

The pie tastes nice, but not exactly the same as SILs. It's either my cooking skills, the numerous measurement conversions or that the ingredients I can get over here aren't exactly the same as what she can get over there.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, Im possible! Audrey Hepburn

Carotte

At that same publishing company, they wanted to drop the "1/2 cup" and just start saying, "1 stick of butter." I guess for now everybody would know, but it just really bothered me, as a copyeditor.

"Stick" is not a universally agreed-upon unit of measurement.

That would not be cool for those, like me, that have to convert everything. Even a cup of butter is a weird concept, even room temp butter would be a pain to cut in little bits to fill up a cup, squashing it so that it's packed, then emptying the cup and having to clean all the greasy residue.

I printed a handy little guide with metric/imperial measures, C and F, and what one cup of flour/sugar/butter/rice.. is in grams, and Oz to Grams...
It's really usefull, I get most of my recipes from tastespotting (and thus mostly english blogs) and since I moved out without taking the measuring cups, I just write it down with the conversion.

My guide is the one from here: http://www.everest.co.uk/products/kitchens/kitchen-cheat-sheet/
free download possible.

nutraxfornerves

Getting back to the topic, but still about cooking.

Cookbook author and cooking teacher Marion Cunningham wrote a column about novices in the kitchen, and underestimating how words can be taken literally.
When we were exploring the produce section of the supermarket, for example, I asked the students if anyone had bought and used green onions. One student replied that she had--but she had cut the white part off and discarded it because onions are called "green" onions.

Since green onions go by other names in other places,here's a picture:

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

Hillia

At that same publishing company, they wanted to drop the "1/2 cup" and just start saying, "1 stick of butter." I guess for now everybody would know, but it just really bothered me, as a copyeditor.

That would not be cool for those, like me, that have to convert everything. Even a cup of butter is a weird concept, even room temp butter would be a pain to cut in little bits to fill up a cup, squashing it so that it's packed, then emptying the cup and having to clean all the greasy residue.

I printed a handy little guide with metric/imperial measures, C and F, and what one cup of flour/sugar/butter/rice.. is in grams, and Oz to Grams...
It's really usefull, I get most of my recipes from tastespotting (and thus mostly english blogs) and since I moved out without taking the measuring cups, I just write it down with the conversion.

My guide is the one from here: http://www.everest.co.uk/products/kitchens/kitchen-cheat-sheet/
free download possible.

In the US butter typically comes wrapped in individual sticks containing 1/2 cup each  The wrappers are marked off in tablespoons so you can easily cut off a smaller amount.

However, as mentioned, this is not universal; I have bought butter that came wrapped in 4 tablespoon sticks.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 12:55:16 PM by Hillia »

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
I've come across some Irish recipes that had me looking online for equivalents, such as soda bread or brown bread recipes. They turned out deliciously and I ended up making notes on my recipe.

Also I can understand the stick of butter issue.  Now and then, since it's more pricey than usual butter, I treat myself to some Kerrygold Irish butter.  I think it's about $5, but it's thicker than your usual stick so I have to look at the little measurements on the side to use the right amount. 
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
When we need a large quantity of butter, I buy it in a 4 lb pack of pound blocks. I use a bench knife to divide the one I am working on, and use a scale when baking to ensure perfect results.

I have had to tell my fellow college students that the group discussion portion of our class discussion posts (online) is part of the grade. We are all required to discuss the topic in order to receive full credit. The other students are extremely resistant to the idea, so the discussion board looks like a monologue! I want to keep my A, which is hard to attain in a 3000 level, 6-week, summer course!

Browyn

I have two of these (a large and a small) and I think mine are from Alton Brown's collection.  They have metric as well as old fashioned measurements on them.

http://tinyurl.com/push-measure-cup

They are so good for things like shortning, peanut butter, anything sticky and I bet they would be good for butter too.

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
I just re-encountered this bit that I think every adult should know... but a surprising number either don't seem to know or don't care about: double doors for temperature control.  Aka: when holding a door is the rude thing to do.

Often in the winter or yesterday at a spa with numerous saunas, including an "ice sauna", there are two doors, and inner and outer. These are to keep the cold out (or in). So you go through one, let it close (or at least mostly close) and then you open the next. But invariably there are people who open the first door - as wide as possible no less - and hold it wide open for the next person while opening the next door - as widely as possible - thus holding both doors wide open. Very often this is the same person, or group of persons, who like to stop and chat while holding the doors open, or pause to hold the doors (both) for a straggler. Its incredibly rude in its selfishness, and quite honestly just stupid behavior - do people honestly not realize there is a reason for the two sets of doors? I mean even if you've never seen it before, it seems like common sense to figure out.

camlan

• Super Hero!
Passed on this little lesson today.

Gasoline is flammable. It is also not a good idea to attempt to increase the amount of fire in your charcoal grill by holding a can of gas over the flames and pouring it on.

Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, Im possible! Audrey Hepburn

cwm

I just re-encountered this bit that I think every adult should know... but a surprising number either don't seem to know or don't care about: double doors for temperature control.  Aka: when holding a door is the rude thing to do.

Often in the winter or yesterday at a spa with numerous saunas, including an "ice sauna", there are two doors, and inner and outer. These are to keep the cold out (or in). So you go through one, let it close (or at least mostly close) and then you open the next. But invariably there are people who open the first door - as wide as possible no less - and hold it wide open for the next person while opening the next door - as widely as possible - thus holding both doors wide open. Very often this is the same person, or group of persons, who like to stop and chat while holding the doors open, or pause to hold the doors (both) for a straggler. Its incredibly rude in its selfishness, and quite honestly just stupid behavior - do people honestly not realize there is a reason for the two sets of doors? I mean even if you've never seen it before, it seems like common sense to figure out.

I see this all the time at the zoo too, in the aviaries. I had to explain to some random woman WHY they did this with free-roaming animals in the enclosures. It only came up because her young child had read the notice on the door to let one set close before opening the other. She really thought it was to limit the number of people going in at once. I had to calmly explain (directly to her child, loud enough for her to hear) that it was because they didn't want any of the animals running away.

Softly Spoken

• "I am a hawk on a cliff..."

Gasoline is flammable. It is also not a good idea to attempt to increase the amount of fire in your charcoal grill by holding a can of gas over the flames and pouring it on.

:o

I...I think we've officially morphed into a new Brain Hurt thread.  :P  ;)
"... for there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."
-William Shakespeare

"We find comfort among those who agree with us - growth among those who don't."  ~Frank A. Clark

Sharnita

• Super Hero!

Was anybody seriously hurt or were you able to pass this information on before anything bad happened?

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
I hope before and that the one holding the gas can wasn't one of those "Hold my beer and watch this!" sorts.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.

free download possible.

If you want a cup of butter and don't want to squash it, get a two-cup measurement and put one cup's worth of water in. Then put enough butter in to raise the volume of water to the two cup level. Voila! A measured cup of butter and much less to clean!
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!

Ooh, you reminded me of one!

It is not a good idea to use petrol (gasoline) as a weed killer. For one thing, it doesn't work. It is REALLY not a good idea to try to use it on your neighbour's passionfruit vine (that you want to kill because it's growing over the fence and you're too much of a Special Snowflake to talk to them about) if said passionfruit vine is growing right next to their gas water heater. The pilot light will ignite the petrol as it evaporates, and there will be a loud BOOM and fireball as you walk away, and the firemen are going to be really snarky at you.
"Set aphasia to stun!"