Author Topic: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People  (Read 303541 times)

cwm

Pete: Wait wait. You buy cheese!

As opposed to what? It suddenly appearing on your doorstep, left there by your fairy godmother? I'd love to know exactly how Pete thinks you obtain things, any things, without buying them.

And I think he thought that the cheese came with the burgers, pre sliced and placed, and was really confused! I assume he knows cheese comes from cows.

Hey yeah, cheese comes from cows.... and so do hamburgers, right? I mean, if the cow is going to become a hamburger, it might just as easily become a cheeseburger, right?  :o

Dontcha know, it's the black cows that give chocolate milk, and the white ones that give regular milk! (Okay, never had anyone but a child say that to me seriously, fortunately.)

Does that mean the orange cows give cheddar cheese and the cows from good ol' US of A give American cheese?

Wait. That would also by default make all cheese into stinky cheese. Cows do not smell pleasant, ever.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
I wonder if he thought that you had to make the cheese yourself, somehow.

It's no wonder that he doesn't cook for himself, if he thinks that putting a hotdog on a grill requires marinating, and the cheese for cheeseburgers has to be made at home in your own cheese grotto. It sounds WAY too overwhelming.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
The only sausage I marinate before grilling is bratwurst, I like to pre-cook with a little German beer.

And Pete is the reason we make all the Boy Scouts plan their menus and go shopping for their food for a camp out.

msulinski

When engine warning lights pop up on your dash, you really need to find out what they mean before driving much farther.  You do not drive 5000 more miles before you casually ask your friend what that light means.

You are dingdangity lucky you didn't completely ruin your engine.

There are degrees to the check engine light. When the light is flashing, that is when you are supposed to pull over immediately and stop the car. When the light is just on but not blinking, there can be a variety of issues, ranging from very minor to more severe.

That's not always true.  My lights don't flash.  They come on and stay on until I either go have the computer read the code or disconnect the battery.

You must not have encountered a serious enough problem to make the light flash. A flashing check engine light is a very serious issue and means you should not even try to drive your car to the mechanic.

More info:
http://community.cartalk.com/discussion/2279962/check-engine-light-flashing

cwm

When engine warning lights pop up on your dash, you really need to find out what they mean before driving much farther.  You do not drive 5000 more miles before you casually ask your friend what that light means.

You are dingdangity lucky you didn't completely ruin your engine.

There are degrees to the check engine light. When the light is flashing, that is when you are supposed to pull over immediately and stop the car. When the light is just on but not blinking, there can be a variety of issues, ranging from very minor to more severe.

That's not always true.  My lights don't flash.  They come on and stay on until I either go have the computer read the code or disconnect the battery.

You must not have encountered a serious enough problem to make the light flash. A flashing check engine light is a very serious issue and means you should not even try to drive your car to the mechanic.

More info:
http://community.cartalk.com/discussion/2279962/check-engine-light-flashing

I've never run into a flashing CEL. The times it's come on, it's always been something minor (evaporation alert, false start, time to change the oil even though my mechanic told me that it was perfectly fine to wait longer). The times it HASN'T come on, however, are the disturbing ones. The engine rod knocking that could have killed the car. The flywheel sensor on my old jeep that went out and kept killing the car after about five minutes of running. Being COMPLETELY BONE DRY on oil. (Not my fault entirely, my dad had just checked it two weeks before and said it was a tiny bit low but not to worry about it and check it again in two weeks. Where it was parked was already stained with oil and sludge from his other car, no way of telling what was new and what wasn't. We got it taken in, the massive leak fixed, and it filled up before anything terrible happened.)

I also had a that when the oil was changed, unless the technician pulled out the fuse box and did something inside it, the CEL would actually turn on if it hadn't been on, or if it had been on, wouldn't turn off. That was my "special" car, nobody could find the hood release and the CEL would come on, but when I went to an auto parts store, there was no code to read. We figured the light was just posessed or something.

mandycorn

This is totally off topic as far as things you should know, but...

The CEL in my parents van used to come on all the time, so my dad got pretty adept at retrieving the code and figuring out what the issue was so he could decide whether it was a fix it yourself or drag it to the shop type of problem. The usual way of triggering it involved flipping the key back and forth a couple of times between two positions (accessory and on, I believe).

So when my new car had its CEL come on for the first time, I wanted to see if I could do the same thing before taking it to the mechanic because the owners manual said my options were either loose gas cap or catastrophic failure, however, my car has a push button ignition. I got online and did some searching and it turns out that the way to trigger the code involves leaving the car in park while fully depressing the accelerator 5 times in 5 seconds, plus another longer acceleration.

I took it to the mechanic after all. All that revving is so not gonna happen, I don't need to be that girl in the condo complex!

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln 

Browyn

It's no wonder that he doesn't cook for himself, if he thinks that putting a hotdog on a grill requires marinating, and the cheese for cheeseburgers has to be made at home in your own cheese grotto. It sounds WAY too overwhelming.

A cheese grotto sounds cool.  But then I like to cook from scratch.

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!

The only time I have really seen grotto used is in Final Fantasy or the Playboy mansion, so a cheese grotto is calling some very strange things to mind.  :D
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

NyaChan

The only time I have really seen grotto used is in Final Fantasy or the Playboy mansion, so a cheese grotto is calling some very strange things to mind.  :D

Haha me too!

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
We had a rental car that had full electrical (?) failure.  My husband had me call the rental place and try to find the closest rental agency that we could bring the car to and exchange it for another car.  He couldn't stop the car, because once he did, he knew he'd never get it started again and then we'd have to wait for a tow.  He managed to get it to one of their rental agencies, at an airport, to drop it off.  When we went to the counter, they said that we owed this big fee because we hadn't filled up the tank before dropping it off.  It took my husband considerable arguing with her to convince her that we'd *saved* them money--if we'd stopped to get gas and turned off the engine, it wouldn't have started again and we'd have needed a tow truck, which would have cost them a lot more than needing to refill the gas tank themselves!  She finally gave in, but she just did *not* seem to get that electrical failure=car keeps running, but once you stop it it probably won't start up again.

Browyn

I was picturing an underground fairy cave with running water, stalactites and racks of cheese.

Pen^2

I was picturing an underground fairy cave with running water, stalactites and racks of cheese.

Really? I was seeing something much more sinister: like Doctor Frankenstein's dungeon laboratory, except full of bizarre instruments designed for turning people into cheese: The Island of Doctor Queso.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
I was actually thinking of one of those underground limestone things that will keep your cheese at the exact right temperature without refrigeration, and has been used to store ripening cheeses since the time of Napoleon, so no other cheese makers can ever eally copy the taste of your brand of cheese.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)

Really? I was seeing something much more sinister: like Doctor Frankenstein's dungeon laboratory, except full of bizarre instruments designed for turning people into cheese: The Island of Doctor Queso.

So glad I was not drinking soda when I saw this...
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

gmatoy

When my husband was at military police school he met a guy from New York who, upon learning that DH was from Oregon, asked "Wow, really? Have you ever had any run-ins with Indians?" He thought it was dangerous to go out into rural areas!

When we were moving from NY to Washington (the state) DH's boss asked him if he "was going to get gun, to protect yourselves from the Injuns." DH said that most of the native Americans we would see were related to me and that it wasn't the wild west from John Wayne movies. Boss was very disappointed to learn that. (Almost 40 years ago, but I recently had to tell the nice lady in the order taking department of a bookseller that same thing!)