Author Topic: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People  (Read 304727 times)

littlelauraj

• My world
I once had a couple of women (middle-aged) who couldn't quite grasp that Alaska still has high and low tides even in the summer when the sun is out so many hours of the day.  I gave up explaining when one of them actually said, "Yeah, I don't get it."

sleepy59

I had to explain to a friend in our second year of university (both of us were mature students, I was 31 and she was 40) how to use the index of a book to see if it had any information about a topic.  She had got through the first year of our degree by reading books cover to cover (slowly) to see if they were any use!

She was the same person I spent an hour explaining that 50%, 1/2 and 0.5 were all the same as were 25%, 1/4 and 0.25, etc!!!  She was training to be a teacher.

Pen^2

She was the same person I spent an hour explaining that 50%, 1/2 and 0.5 were all the same as were 25%, 1/4 and 0.25, etc!!!  She was training to be a teacher.

That makes me feel ill...

I knew one teacher in training who didn't know there had been two world wars. Another didn't know that Earth and other planets orbited the Sun (he wasn't one of those Earth-centric universe people, he just had never thought about it at all).

greencat

Oo!  The percentages thing reminded me of these.

The employee that my friend has working for him at his shop is really, really, really smart.  He's an engineering student and I know he's good at math.  It absolutely killed me when he attempted to tell my friend that letting people stack their 10% reward discounts (so either giving 30% off or 27% off depending on whether you were adding or multiplying) on the same purchase was the same as giving them the 10% discount on three separate smaller purchases.  He had even somehow made a spreadsheet.

I was able to give him a simple-math round-number example to get him straightened out, fortunately, but I couldn't believe he had that kind of basic misunderstanding of how percentages worked.  He later told me that he couldn't believe he had it that wrong either.  Then again, I did have to explain to my friend that it was better to give a percentage off instead of a flat dollar amount, because giving a flat dollar amount off could easily mean giving things away or at the very least wiping out the sometimes-slim profit margin on a sale, but that giving a percentage off would never wipe out all the profit on a sale.

I also had to explain to my friend that he should be counting the cash drawer after close every night, because otherwise he was going to lose money due to error or theft.  It took several incidents where we had to do forensics on the day's receipts after the drawer didn't get counted for a day or two to get him in the habit of actually doing it between every close and open.  I don't know if that's necessarily something every adult should know, but any adult who has decided to go into retail sales should know it for sure.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
Oh, the other that bugs me.Yellow Mustard will not spoil if not refrigerated. Neither will ketchup but the color might change.
I had to throw out 2 bottles of yellow mustard that had gone to the back of the pantry and were past their expiration dates- both were spoiled. Brown, with a nasty smell.
Past the expiration date I think is key here.

scotcat60

You shouldn't eat leftovers that you left out on the counter all night.

Actually I've done this, and taken no harm. After all, fridges haven't been around for ever, and people survived when they did this.

However, I would not leave leftovers out in very hot weather. And in the depths of an English winter, with a largely unheated kitchen, food does not go off overnight.

ThistleBird

OTOH, the one that bugs me is the belief that only boy cows have horns.  Not true, both genders have horns (or the potential for them, unless they have been dehorned or are the polled breeds).  I have been in arguments with people about that. 

Absolutely. Same goes for goats. It's not such a big deal if you have to explain it once but what's bad is when people stick to their "facts".

On a completed unrelated note, my father, an American who lives & works in France and visits the U.S. regularly, once had an American ask him, "Do they really still speak French in France? Like, on the street?" (It seems somehow she thought English was becoming the international language so hard that all other languages were mere cultural survivals...)

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
Country girl weighing in on the bull vs steer issue:  I cut people a little slack on that because I can remember when I didn't know the difference.  Of course, I was in elementary school then...

OTOH, the one that bugs me is the belief that only boy cows have horns.  Not true, both genders have horns (or the potential for them, unless they have been dehorned or are the polled breeds).  I have been in arguments with people about that.

Yes, I've met a few people who think only male African elephants have tusks.

Jocelyn

Oh, the other that bugs me.Yellow Mustard will not spoil if not refrigerated. Neither will ketchup but the color might change.
I had to throw out 2 bottles of yellow mustard that had gone to the back of the pantry and were past their expiration dates- both were spoiled. Brown, with a nasty smell.
Past the expiration date I think is key here.
Yes, but the expiration date is simply the date by which the manufacturer estimates that the product will spoil. The point is, that even though unopened (thus uncontaminated by use), yellow mustard stored at room temp will, indeed, spoil eventually. Perhaps the OP uses a lot of mustard, so that she uses it up before that point, but for someone who uses very little mustard, it wouldn't be safe to conclude that yellow mustard does not spoil, ever.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
You can ease off the gas pedal to slow down.  You don't need to hit the breaks everytime you realize you are going more than 1mph over the speed limit.
PREACH!

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
There is a reason there is a button marked 'popcorn' on the microwave.  My house stinks so bad right now...why the 17 yr old thought it needed 5 minutes is beyond me!!!!!  And this is NOT the first time she has made it!

Katana_Geldar

You can ease off the gas pedal to slow down.  You don't need to hit the breaks everytime you realize you are going more than 1mph over the speed limit.
PREACH!

This is why continually get bus sick, the bus driver pumps the breaks and rides the bus like a cowboy.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
I know of a few history boners.

One was a teacher visiting Woodstock, Vermont.  A local guide explained that certain markings on the chimneys of older houses in the village indicated that they were stops on the Underground Railroad. (for those don't know American history, the Underground Railroad was a system of safe houses to take escaped slaves from the Confederacy to safety and freedom in Canada)

'Oh, wow!  They had a subway back then?'   

the other was a University student.  The class was discussing the situation in post WWII Germany.  The Professor mentioned that the city of Berlin was divided. The guy was dubious.  'How could they divide a city? Did they build a wall?'  (Sniff and grin)

Well, yes.  Yes they did.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 07:37:40 PM by Thipu1 »

Editeer

After you've mopped the floor and poured the dirty water down the drain, you need to rinse the bucket and the mop so that they will be clean for next time.
My husband still doesn't really get this.

greencat

My ex boyfriend never understood why stacking his dirty dishes in the sink with the paper napkins piled in between them was not acceptable.  In case you've never done that yourself, and don't understand why I nearly blew a gasket every time he did it, it's because first, the napkins would stick to whatever was on the plate and be extraordinarily difficult to remove, even when run through the dishwasher, and second, the dissolved paper messed up both the sink drain and the dishwasher.   >:(

Also, he didn't understand why turning the lights off wasn't an acceptable substitute for mopping the floors before guests came over.   :o