Author Topic: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People  (Read 301781 times)

Margo

wait, you mean you *can't* see the Capitol from every office in Washington DC?  ;) And there was I thinking they must carefully build all of the offices with windows on one side only, to ensure that effect.

Katana_Geldar

Just like every house in Sydney has Harbour views? ;)

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up

My stock comment to those who have the "all natural = good for you" mindset is "Snake venom is all-natural too."

Mine usual example is arsenic :)

I use asbestos as my example - blows people's minds.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

cicero

• Super Hero!
When my husband was at military police school he met a guy from New York who, upon learning that DH was from Oregon, asked "Wow, really? Have you ever had any run-ins with Indians?" He thought it was dangerous to go out into rural areas!
over my lifetime there have been people who asked us (upon learning we live in israel) if we have camels and live in tents.

yeah, not so much. this is the same land where the biblical stories took place, but no, we aren't living in the biblical era.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
There is a reason there is a button marked 'popcorn' on the microwave.  My house stinks so bad right now...why the 17 yr old thought it needed 5 minutes is beyond me!!!!!  And this is NOT the first time she has made it!

I'm the exact opposit. I'm wish they would remove the popcorn button. I don't know how many times someone at the office has put in a personal size popcorn bag, hit that button, walked off and come back upset that there popcorn is burned and everyone us mad at vehemently about the burnt popcorn smell. Alison different brands have different times needed and popcorn can quickly start to burn.

stkatie00

That no, boy/girl twins can NOT be identical. The standard question after learning my twins are boy/girl is, are they identical? I always reply nicely that, no, they aren't, but I've had a few people ask me if I'm sure!

Jaelle

When my husband was at military police school he met a guy from New York who, upon learning that DH was from Oregon, asked "Wow, really? Have you ever had any run-ins with Indians?" He thought it was dangerous to go out into rural areas!
over my lifetime there have been people who asked us (upon learning we live in israel) if we have camels and live in tents.

yeah, not so much. this is the same land where the biblical stories took place, but no, we aren't living in the biblical era.

I once interviewed a trio of teenage girls from Alaska who were doing an exchange program at one of our New York schools. They happened to be members of one of the indigenous groups there, but that was mainly happenstance.

I asked them what they'd like people to know about themselves and where they lived. They loved that.

"We like to go to the movies and shopping and out with friends just like you. Yes, we have movies. Yes, we have malls. Yes, we have restaurants."

"Yes, it gets cold, sometimes really cold. But it gets warm too. We do go outside. We're not huddled around a campfire all year long."

"WE DON'T LIVE IN IGLOOS!" :D

A few years after that, I nearly choked when my MIL happily told my sons "about Alaska, where the Eskimos live in igloos."  ::)  I truly don't think she believed me when I told her that was just a bit out of date.
“She was already learning that if you ignore the rules people will, half the time, quietly rewrite them so that they don't apply to you.”
― Terry Pratchett, Equal Rites

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
To the poster who asked what was wrong with beeping the horn at the school.  The driveway is literally right at the front of the school..driveway, sidewalk, classrooms and the office.  My sister also would not just give a toot...she repeatedly does long hits of the horn (pet peeve of mine) as more DD yells again! again!  (she's 6, I'll forgive her).  I have had to tell her not to blast the radio as she pulls in too!

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!

My stock comment to those who have the "all natural = good for you" mindset is "Snake venom is all-natural too."

Mine usual example is arsenic :)

So is asbestos, as its mined from the ground! I worked for a law firm that handled asbestos litigation, and while I was surprised to learn this fact, I didn't go around spouting off about it.

Shalamar

Some folks, upon learning that we were from Canada, asked if we had any problems with polar bears.   :)

(Mind you, I HAVE had a close encounter with a moose on a quiet residential street in the 'burbs.)

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
Just like every house in Sydney has Harbour views? ;)

And every hotel room in Orlando FL should have a view of the ocean.  ;)

camlan

• Super Hero!
At one time we had a house in Tacoma, Washington.  When DH retired from the Army we had to go deal with the property.  Many of MIL's friends argued that we were going to DC and there was no such state as Washington.

I hope I won't be thought too cheeky for observing, as a non-American, that some US place-naming does seem rather to invite the muddling-up of things -- in the light of how people tend to be easily confused.  I can kind-of sympathise with non-geographically-minded folk getting befuddled over the capital of the US being the city of Washington, in the District of Columbia; whereas there's also a state of Washington, some couple-of-thousand-plus miles away -- through which the Columbia River runs !

Likewise with the thing heard of quite often -- including from a PP on this thread -- of people getting bemused about the state of New Mexico, and thinking that the independent nation of Mexico is being referred to. Most of us can be pretty dense about something or other: with the way that a fair number of people tend towards mental blocks / confusion, about place-names, one could feel that those who originally named the locations concerned, might have taken thought about that; and tried to avoid the confusion-potential.

To further confuse the Washington issue, there are about 26 other cities in the US named Washington--quite a few of the original 13 states have a Washington. Plus there's at least one in Canada.

Washington, DC, wasn't declared the US capital until 1790, and it wasn't named Washington until a little later. Many cities had been named Washington by then, in honor of George Washington. Washington, NH was the first, in 1776.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

Yarnspinner

The James Cameron film Titanic is a fictionalized account of a TRUE event and not a documentary.  We do not have a biography on the life of that famous artist Jack Dawson because he never existed.  We do not have any photos he drew of a young woman naked.  He was a made up character played by Leonardo DiCaprio....

On the other hand, I remember the very sweet but horrifyingly befuddled elderly woman who tugged at my sleeve after seeing the Malcolm McDowell time travel movie Time After Time in which H.G. Wells battles Jack the Ripper in 1979 California.  "Did that really happen?"  "No, Ma'am, it's a made up story."  "But H.G. Wells was a real person."  "Yes, Ma'am, but this movie just speculates on what would happen if such a thing as time travel existed."  "But was Jack the Ripper really  in California?"

Yikes.

Cami

That no, boy/girl twins can NOT be identical. The standard question after learning my twins are boy/girl is, are they identical? I always reply nicely that, no, they aren't, but I've had a few people ask me if I'm sure!
  I just had to tell someone that on Thursday. I was relating a story from my childhood with two identical twin girls. One of the girls has a name that is often male, but just as often female. The story itself was about a situation involving their dresses for a school event. It involved a description of ruffles, hem length, and Mary Jane shoes, PLUS the critical factor that these were  IDENTICAL twins who pulled a switcheroo. At the end of it, this person looked at me in confusion and said, "But how come people didn't notice the boy wasn't a boy any more?"

Head meet desk. I said, "Like I said they were IDENTICAL twins. Girls. Hence, the dresses, etc."
Her: "But you said one of them has the [gender neutral name]."
Me: "Yes. And the owner of that name was a girl, hence the dresses, etc. But the main point is that they were IDENTICAL twins. You don't have identical twins if you have a boy and a girl."
Her: "Sure, you do. They're identical except for their sex."
Me: head meet desk again. "Then they're NOT identical. Identical means the same in every way."
Her: "Really? I always thought that identical meant almost the same except for one or two differences."
Me: "No. That would be SIMILAR."

Reika

I had to explain to a male coworker, one who is married and has a kid, that women don't have prostates, therefore we won't cover a Prostate Specific Antigen test for a woman. Trying to be as delicate as possible, I had to explain that the prostate is part of the equipment that makes a male a male. Feeling increasingly desperate because he was still clueless, I said "It's just like a guy won't have a cervix."

When he asked me what a cervix was, I told him to ask his wife. My manager overheard my side of the conversation with her jaw open because she couldn't believe I had to explain the difference between boy bits and girl bits to a guy around my age (36ish).