Author Topic: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People  (Read 302290 times)

cwm

There is another kind of cider--hard. In the US, "cider" is a non-alcoholic juice, usually apple, unless otherwise specified. If you want cider that has been fermented into something alcoholic, you wand "hard cider." (There is a debate as to whether "cider" and "apple juice" are the same thing or not. I once researched it and concluded that the answer is sometimes, sometimes not. Among other things, the distinction appears to be regional.)

Where I am, apple juice is just the juice of the apple whereas what I think of as cider has extra spices added to it. Usually cinnamon and allspice, sometimes cloves and oranges. Some people call this mulled cider, but it's just cider to me.

Looking it up, in Massachusets, cider is less filtered and has more pulpy material allowed than clarified apple juice. No extra seasonings or spices, just extra thickness.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
I am very grateful that hard cider has become commonly available in the US. Gluten free too!

I didn't tell her, but yesterday I saw an older woman wearing a very open shirt, the kind that is designed to have large holes all over it, without wearing a camisole or tank underneath. She had an industrial strength bra in white under a navy blue shirt.

snowflake

How about: the difference between astrology and astronomy. I was teaching a class about the solar system, and a disturbingly large number of the kids' parents thought, based on the unit name, that we would be learning about gemini and sagittarius and all that. Some rang up to ask why we would be spending so long (4 weeks) on it.

Aaaaaaarrrrrrrrgggggggghhhhhhhhhh!

Had a definitely ex-boyfriend tell me that astronomy and astrology were the same thing, and if I thought otherwise I was deluded.  I wasn't the one who was deluded, pal.

On the other hand, I was in a cute, funky craft shop.  I was admiring some cute charms that could be made into bracelets.  The owner warned me about buying the wrong ones because they were meant to be arranged to compliment one's astrological power.  I looked at her blankly because you know, if it floats your boat, fine.  But I am clueless about that sort of stuff. 

She finally asked me, "Haven't you ever had a reading?" In this voice as if I hadn't ever changed the oil on my car or balanced my checking account. 

I said, "No.  I'll just roll with what comes."

I ended up walking out without buying anything while she was telling me I needed to be prepared for the future and not "walk around in ignorance."  I sort of had this vision of her seeing her psychic the next week and worrying about young people these days who didn't take their lives seriously.  I was offended enough at the time that I had some visions of me walking in wearing a "The End is near" sandwich board and demanding that she take a Bible and raving about Hell.  But happily I got over it in about fifteen minutes.

katycoo

There is another kind of cider--hard. In the US, "cider" is a non-alcoholic juice, usually apple, unless otherwise specified. If you want cider that has been fermented into something alcoholic, you wand "hard cider." (There is a debate as to whether "cider" and "apple juice" are the same thing or not. I once researched it and concluded that the answer is sometimes, sometimes not. Among other things, the distinction appears to be regional.)

Ahh yes, I forgot.  Here, cider is all alcoholic.  Non alcoholic is sparkling apple juice.  I've not ever seen it described in the terms I was discussing above.

BB-VA

My husband used to work for a company that made apple products.  They didn't know the difference between cider and juice either.  They avoided the issue by just making juice, leaving the cider to the orchards. 
"The Universe puts us in places where we can learn. They are never easy places, but they are right. Wherever we are, it's the right place and the right time. Pain that sometimes comes is part of the process of constantly being born."
- Delenn to Sheridan: "Babylon 5 - Distant Star"

kareng57

• Super Hero!

Ahh yes, I forgot.  Here, cider is all alcoholic.  Non alcoholic is sparkling apple juice.  I've not ever seen it described in the terms I was discussing above.

Here - western Canada - it depends.  If you're visiting a seasonal fruit-stand and they offer "cider", it would be non alcoholic.  They'd need a liquour license in order to sell alcoholic cider.

But in grocery stores - it would be labelled "soft cider", since grocery stores here can't sell alcoholic beverages.  For alcoholic fruit cider, you'd need to find a liquour store.

Bluenomi

I actually had a very similar moment once when a recipe called for a dry sherry, White Dragon. I just assumed it was a special cooking ingredient and browsed around looking for it, then had a "Oh, wait, I bet it means--" moment.

Along these lines, I once had to explain to a guy in the grocery store - and a grocery store employee - what "dry pasta" was.

On our honeymoon, we went into a pub in England. I asked for cider, and the guy asked, "dry or sweet?" What's the difference? I asked. He answered right away, "One of them is dry, and the other . . . . is sweet." Right about that ellipsis, he realize exactly how stupid the question had been.

It's like the difference between sweet and dry wine. Draught according to my cider drinking DH is more beer like, not really dry and not really sweet.

In Aus cider is always alcoholic. Apple juice is still, if it has bubbles it's called sparkling apple juice. It can also be cloudy or clear just to make matters confusing!

Mulled cider is warm with added spices etc just like mulled wine.

MariaE

• So many books, so little time

Same in Denmark. It mighht be as little as 0.5%, but it's always alcoholic.

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

scotcat60

In the US, "cider" is a non-alcoholic juice, usually apple, unless otherwise specified.

It's alcoholic in the UK too. i've just been reading a book about World War II. Apparently some GIs were posted to the West Country of England, and were offered cider in the local pub. They said "Na, we wanna man's drink" A few of pints later, unable to walk, they had to be carried out of the pub to recover.

As I understand it cider is femented apple juice.

LTrew

In the UK clear apple juice is like US apple juice, and nothing is quite like US cider. The closest thing would be the cloudy/pressed apple juice from a local orchard though.  There are some really nice ones, and the ones near me print a guide on every bottle saying what variety of apples they used and how sweet the mix is.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 09:53:19 AM by LTrew »

camlan

• Super Hero!
In the UK clear apple juice is like US apple juice, and nothing is quite like US cider. The closest thing would be the cloudy apple juice from a local orchard though.  There are some really nice ones, and the ones near me print a guide on every bottle saying what variety of apples they used and how sweet the mix is.

In general and in most parts of the US, "cider" is apple juice that is cloudy because it hasn't had all the pulp filtered out. Apple "juice" has been filtered. So cider is cloudy, as LTrew says, and juice is clear.

But, in some places apple juice can be cloudy. Some brands of organic juice make a cloudy apple juice.

Cider with any alcohol content is "hard cider."

Apple juice with bubbles added is "sparkling apple juice."

I've yet to encounter "sparkling apple cider," but I'll bet it's out there, somewhere.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

Carotte

Cider in France will have alcohol, from not much to a handfull of %.
In Japan however I got caught by surprise, the can only had the word 'apple' and 'cider' in romanji (roman alphabet), the % of alcohol was probably lost in a sea of Japanese, since I wasn't going for a strong beverage I thought, whatever, I like cider and how strong could it be anyway.
Yeah, not just cider, but a vodka based drink >< with something like 9% alcohol content, where I was expecting 2 or 3.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
My ex, in his mid-twenties, told me off for buying a 2kg bag of dry pasta on a student budget.  He said I'd never be able to eat it all before it expired and shrieked at me in the shop, "well, I hope you can freeze it!".  I just stood there, staring at him with this expression:  :o saying, "but it's dry pasta...".  Idiot!

My now-DH and I invited a coworker & her boyfriend over for dinner, or dessert, or something. DH was living in his parents' old home in a VERY bachelor existence; he went to their new home for dinner nearly every night.

While our guests were there, he opened the fridge and said, "I have some beer in there, but it's been there a few months--I don't know if it's still good."

Dazi

• like the flower

Snip...

I've yet to encounter "sparkling apple cider," but I'll bet it's out there, somewhere.

Welch's used to make one, but I don't know if they still do...same with Martinelli's.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Pen^2

We have some in the fridge. I don't know what brand because the writing is in Tamil--there's an English sticker over the ingredients only. It's delicious  ;D