Author Topic: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People  (Read 307252 times)

Shalamar

I once got into trouble for drinking a bottle of ginger beer at work.  (Ginger beer is also a form of soda.)  To be fair, it was in a longneck dark glass bottle, and it looked a lot like beer.   Someone walked by, did a double-take, and asked accusingly "What's that?"  "Ginger beer."  She looked scandalized and said "Maybe no-one told you, but you're not allowed to drink alcohol while at work."  I was like "... alcohol?  It's GINGER beer.  You know - kind of like ginger ALE."

(It was the "maybe you didn't know, but you can't get blotto on the job" thing that cracked me up.  I wonder if she was expecting me to pull a George Costanza.  "Was that wrong?  Because, I gotta tell ya, that's news to me.")

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
Sorry... I can't help myself  :-[ This is why none of my friends will let me go on brewery tours with them. Or beer tastings. Or brew beer... (blondie wanders off to local watering hole to find someone who can't stand to lecture about their drinks origins....)

Don't worry, I thought it was interesting! :) It's funny, over the years my taste in beers have changed quite a bit.  Heck I used to think Guinness was nasty. (to be fair my first taste was from a can that had been sitting in a tub so long the ice had turned to water.)   Over time I kept trying  it because I had this funny mindset that I'm 1/2 Irish, the genes for liking the black stuff have to be in there somewhere, right?  My second time I had it with raw oysters and shepherd's pie in a restaurant in Fells Point. (Slainte)

These days I love it and keep it stocked in my fridge. :) Found out recently that 1) it's not really black but rather a dark ruby red and 2) two of the ingredients are coffee and chocolate.  :)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
Asking people why they didn't send us their new address when they moved months (or years) earlier when they complained about not getting a Christmas card, birth announcement, graduation announcement, party invitation, or wedding announcement or invitation.

Because apparently WE should have known that they'd moved, divorced, changed their name, gotten a new cell phone number, etc. without being told.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
And then you have some beers that come pre skunked.... Budweiser comes to mind. The flavor that people associate with Bud is actually skunking. All that about the Oak chips is a marketing gimmick. It is indeed a process used in the brewing, but they then pay a lot of money to take the oak flavor back out of the beer, which ends up skunking it. When I used to run tastings, people would ask how my brand could taste more like Bud, and I would tell them to leave it in the sun for 15 minutes, then taste it again. They always came back saying that it did indeed taste a lot more like Bud after that. Side note, I always worried about the people who said that, enjoyed it, and then spent $10 on a 6 pack of mine to leave it in the sun to make it taste more like Bud....

Although I'm not terribly active at it, I do know more than a few home brewers. They always get a laugh when someone comes into the store wanting a recipe to make a Bud or Miller clone. They get a lecture about how it's much cheaper and easier to just buy the stuff than to try to make it themselves.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
Actually, there was a book titled 'Brewing Beers Like Those You Buy'.  We found it in a Boots back in the mid 1980s.  It included a recipe for the American Budweiser. 

Mr. Thipu thought it was a hoot but it got him interested in home brewing. 

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
I once got into trouble for drinking a bottle of ginger beer at work.  (Ginger beer is also a form of soda.)  To be fair, it was in a longneck dark glass bottle, and it looked a lot like beer.   Someone walked by, did a double-take, and asked accusingly "What's that?"  "Ginger beer."  She looked scandalized and said "Maybe no-one told you, but you're not allowed to drink alcohol while at work."  I was like "... alcohol?  It's GINGER beer.  You know - kind of like ginger ALE."

(It was the "maybe you didn't know, but you can't get blotto on the job" thing that cracked me up.  I wonder if she was expecting me to pull a George Costanza.  "Was that wrong?  Because, I gotta tell ya, that's news to me.")

I got in trouble on a school trip for the same thing. It took 3 strangers to convince our American Chaperons that it was a soft drink. They were threatening to send me home. They did the same thing when I used a pay phone (1985) to call a couple of Aunts, Uncles, and cousins to say hi. Apparently I was trying to sneak out for some scrabble because the names on the sheet with phone numbers were all male (Aunt's name is Pat) . Thankfully one of the sane chaperons got pulled into that conversation and she
1. Had met some of my English relatives
2. Recognized my MOTHER'S handwriting.

Still I told our principal, sponsor and head chaperon off about the idiot chaperons who needed to be locked in a cave in the US so as not to sully the reputation of Americans any more.(Think of every ugly American sterotpypical blunder you can and these people did it. Including accusing the restaurant in Scotland of trying to poison us, when they attempted to make Ice Tea. It was horrible but that was because of a miscommunication)  The senior class chaperons were replaced with a Mom of one of the seniors and our principal. We got to eat someplace other than McDonalds the rest of the trip.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Pioneer

Asking people why they didn't send us their new address when they moved months (or years) earlier when they complained about not getting a Christmas card, birth announcement, graduation announcement, party invitation, or wedding announcement or invitation.

Because apparently WE should have known that they'd moved, divorced, changed their name, gotten a new cell phone number, etc. without being told.

My MIL loves geneology.  She BEGS for wedding, birth, and death announcements.  She has invested a ton of time and money into scrapbooks and binders of photographs and family trees, and lugs them all to every reunion to share. 

It never fails.  Someone is royally miffed that THEIR darling little moppet isn't even mentioned, much less featured.  First you have to tell his relatives that he EXISTS.
"Try to live your life so that you wouldn't be afraid to sell the family parrot to the town gossip." -- Will Rogers

nutraxfornerves

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

Reika

From Not Always Right You should have known I changed my name.

I work for a supplemental insurance company, and we get something like that a lot. My usual response to the public announcement is "I'm sorry, ma'am, but we can't make that kind of assumption."

Never mind the fact I work for a Fortune 500 company that has thousands (if not millions) of customers all over the US.

Louie_LI

Also, I could be wrong on this, but IIRC all of the aging on alcohol is done before it ever hits the bottle. Once it's bottled, it's more or less stable, so having it sitting around isn't going to age it any more in the bottle. The reason some of the older years have certain prestige isn't because of how much more they've aged, but because it's a very good vintage and hasn't been opened yet, and is therefore rare because most bottles of that vintage would have been consumed long ago.

This is true for spirits but not for wine. Wine continues to evolve and change in the bottle. Older years can be prized because they have been aged or because they are rare.

Hazmat

• This Veteran is heavily medicated for your protection
  • How can I miss you if you won't go away?
    • Chronus Is Latin For Time

Also, I could be wrong on this, but IIRC all of the aging on alcohol is done before it ever hits the bottle. Once it's bottled, it's more or less stable, so having it sitting around isn't going to age it any more in the bottle. The reason some of the older years have certain prestige isn't because of how much more they've aged, but because it's a very good vintage and hasn't been opened yet, and is therefore rare because most bottles of that vintage would have been consumed long ago.

This is true for spirits but not for wine. Wine continues to evolve and change in the bottle. Older years can be prized because they have been aged or because they are rare.
There's nothing like opening a bottle of $1000 vinegar :P.
A guest is a jewel on the cushion of hospitality. -Nero Wolfe

Indiana

Jones

There's nothing like opening a bottle of $1000 vinegar :P.
Heh, first thing I thought of was the Frasier episode in which he and Niles obtain a rare vintage....that had been stored near the furnace, in the basement!

Jocelyn

Some beers also improve with age- 
My nephew made a run of beer right before he deployed. Most of it, he just packed away as he normally would, but for some reason, he wrapped several bottles in a blanket. I don't care for beer, but at the tasting after he got home, everyone said that the latter was far superior to the former, so much that it was hard to believe they were both from the same batch.

LadyJaneinMD

My own BROTHER sent my Christmas present to the wrong address one year.  Now, admittedly, I move a lot, but I always sent out my new address via email, to the family, including said brother, BUT.....he lives with our father, who sent my presents to the right address because he *read* the email.
And brother, who sits 10 feet from our dad in the living room, couldn't be bothered to ask him 'So where's Jane living this week?' while packing up presents.    Yes, two grown men live together and don't talk.  Why am I not surprised?

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
DragonSon's preferred breakfast cereal is a brand called Golden Grahams.
DragonSon just turned 17.

Last week, we were at a barbeque and standing around making s'mores (graham crackers, marsmallow and chocolate.)

After about his second S'more, Dragonson says "You know, I just realized that Golden Grahams are made to be the same flavour as graham crackers."  :o

Really? He's eaten both of these items for 17 years and is only just now figuring this out? ::)