Author Topic: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People  (Read 213927 times)

BB-VA

That's how I got started- How else would I remember Bamako, Mali and Kigali, Rwanda?  There was also where in time and where in the usa, but the show was Where in the World is...

(And I still say it in my head like Rockapella did. Where in the world is....Carmen Sandiego?)

YAY Rockapella!!!

http://youtu.be/dGVa5MESpIs

This one has the lyrics...
"The Universe puts us in places where we can learn. They are never easy places, but they are right. Wherever we are, it's the right place and the right time. Pain that sometimes comes is part of the process of constantly being born."
- Delenn to Sheridan: "Babylon 5 - Distant Star"

katycoo

When DH and I visited mainland USA, we were complimented daily on our great English. We are Australian. One guy, upon hearing we were Australian, said something like, "wow, that's overseas, isn't it? Like Canada?" :P I don't know, is there a prevalent belief that only people in America and England speak English? We traveled around quite a bit, so it wasn't just in one place.

I would have thought that people would be vaguely aware of which countries speak the same language as you, if only for potential holiday purposes.

Although, I've actually met British people who have complained of the same problem. Maybe we were just unlucky with the numbers of clueless people we encountered.

We always replied to the compliments with, "thanks, your English isn't too bad either!"

My mother encountered this back in the 80s, but when I travelled last year we found people were generally pretty knowledgable about Australia.

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
Slartibartfast, you are awesome!  I showed this game to my 10 year old geography fiend and he's been transported (pun intended)!

And I just played it again and had my bestest score ever (31750) - all five rounds put me somewhere I could identify!  (With the help of Google, but still - cool that a random roadside stand in rural Africa had a Facebook page!)

I love this game, except when the pics are blurry and I can't tell what anything is. :( That kind of bites.
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

cabbageweevil

Those of you who are geography fans . . . have you tried http://geoguessr.com?  Really interesting geography game - it plops you down in a Google street view somewhere in the world, and you have to wander around a bit until you feel confident taking a guess at where you are.  You get points based on how close to accurate you were (in miles).  I found it really interesting what things I ended up using for clues - foliage, language on signs, license plates, shop names, etc.  My closest so far was .1 miles (it plopped me down in front of an easily-identifiable restaurant which was named for the bay it was in, which I've been to) and my farthest was mixing up Scotland and New Zealand  :P

To be fair parts of NZ and Scotland do look very alike and both use English so that won't help!

Don't they say that the South Island of NZ is, culturally, the most Scottish place anywhere outside Scotland?

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
  • Is it Spring yet?
Those of you who are geography fans . . . have you tried http://geoguessr.com?  Really interesting geography game - it plops you down in a Google street view somewhere in the world, and you have to wander around a bit until you feel confident taking a guess at where you are.  You get points based on how close to accurate you were (in miles).  I found it really interesting what things I ended up using for clues - foliage, language on signs, license plates, shop names, etc.  My closest so far was .1 miles (it plopped me down in front of an easily-identifiable restaurant which was named for the bay it was in, which I've been to) and my farthest was mixing up Scotland and New Zealand  :P
I didn't realize before that you could zoom in on the teeny world map!  Thanks!
  Your guess was 0.363 km from the correct location and gave 6448 points.
Vega, Texas.  Texas I knew from the sign over the Volunteer Fire Department, but not well enough to read the name.  'Vega___' I got from the water tower, but wasn't sure until Google told me there was a 'Vega.'  I must have dropped the sign on the wrong street corner. 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
I don't go crazy.  I AM crazy.  I sometimes go normal. 
Please make a note of this for future reference.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

guihong

• Super Hero!

Great.  Something else to play around with.  My closest was Utah (my guess) from Wyoming (the true place).  The farthest was Puerto Rico (my guess) with Brazil (the true place).  On the last one, I thought the signs were in Spanish (it was Portuguese).  I've also used what side of the road cars are driving on to automatically rule out the U.K. or Australia.

ETA: Don't feel too bad, Slart-I did the exact same thing  ::)
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 07:55:40 AM by guihong »

Syfygeek

Slartibartfast, you are awesome!  I showed this game to my 10 year old geography fiend and he's been transported (pun intended)!

And I just played it again and had my bestest score ever (31750) - all five rounds put me somewhere I could identify!  (With the help of Google, but still - cool that a random roadside stand in rural Africa had a Facebook page!)

I love this game, except when the pics are blurry and I can't tell what anything is. :( That kind of bites.

My new addiction, thank you e-hell! "You got 18568 points in total"
That's my purse! I don't know you!

readingchick

• Trivia Buff
LOL I think you've gotten me addicted to it too! :)

nuit93

Now I'm hooked!

Virg

• Super Hero!
Belle wrote:

"I just learned last week that North Korea and South Korea are on the northeast side of China, right near Japan. I always thought they were southwest of China, far away from Japan (sort of in the area of Thailand). I would have bet money on it, but I was very wrong.
"

It's possible, assuming you're American, that you were confused because another "North/South" country in our history is near Thailand, that being Vietnam.  It's no longer split like Korea but many people older than thirty still have North Vietnam/South Vietnam in their memory, and it also abuts China to its north, so the confusion is reasonable.

Virg

guihong

• Super Hero!
I confess I cheated ;).  The geography game popped me out right in front of a high school sign, so I Googled it in another window  ;D.

flowersintheattic

I got plopped down on an unmarked road in the middle of pine trees. After wandering around and only finding one sign, which was too small to read (and blurry when I zoomed in), I just guessed Washington, US.

Nope. It was Sweden.
...I learned my lesson / And yes, I still remember the last one / But this time will be different / Until I do it again... ~Phish, "Kill Devil Falls"

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
I got plopped down on an unmarked road in the middle of pine trees. After wandering around and only finding one sign, which was too small to read (and blurry when I zoomed in), I just guessed Washington, US.

Nope. It was Sweden.

I got the road outside of our farm. At first I thought no way. But It had the Rolling Oaks Pillar and the new Spanish style house that mark our overgrown hidden dirt road.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
OK, we have a GeoGuessr spin-off thread. Enjoy!

http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=128815.0
"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

WishUponAStar

Re: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People
« Reply #1049 on: November 25, 2013, 08:37:10 PM »

I had to tell my freshman year roommate not to sleep in a certain sort of feminine product. To my horror, she did so all the time and had never even heard of Toxic Shock Syndrome!  :o