Author Topic: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People  (Read 301258 times)

cwm

Re: An Adult Should Really Know This - Silly Things You've Had to Tell People
« Reply #1485 on: December 20, 2013, 12:42:54 PM »
A coworker called in sick yesterday with a stomach bug.  Today is the office secret santa party so she comes in.  I like this woman fine but she also informs me that now her husband is sick too with the same stomach bug and it's not something they've eaten! 

Thanks for coming in, there, Typhoid Mary.  Just what we all wanted for Christmas!

But if she has been sick, she's probably not contagious. Some stomach flu you do get over in 24 hours or less. So unless she's complaining that she's still sick, I wouldn't expect her to be contagious any longer.

With Norovirus, they tell you to stay home for 24 to 48 hours after the last time you vomited because you are still contagious.  And the fact that someone in the household is still sick means that she very likely is still potentially contagious.

And from personal experience, when there's 8/9 people in the house and one of them brings home norovirus from school, it's going to take several months before they're all healthy again. I swear, they just kept passing the same bug around and around and around. Same thing every year.

Mom's cousin, her husband, quintuplets, older sibling, and a part time live-in nurse for one of the quints at the time. I'm kind of glad they skipped Christmas that year, they were still sick.

Whoa- quintuplets?

Yeah. IVF got them a singleton the first go-round, they wanted a bigger family, second round all 5 took. Older Sis was only 2 when they were born. That was not a fun house when rotavirus went around. The upside is that the doctors all knew them, and if one kiddo was sick, he'd just write scripts for the rest of them without having to see them, he knew it would spread soon enough.

Now they're all polite, well-adjusted kids in elementary school. They behave themselves as well as any group of under-10s can be expected to. I really need to get out there to see them again, but there's just no time.

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #1486 on: December 20, 2013, 02:15:01 PM »

Whoa- quintuplets?

Yeah. IVF got them a singleton the first go-round, they wanted a bigger family, second round all 5 took. Older Sis was only 2 when they were born. That was not a fun house when rotavirus went around. The upside is that the doctors all knew them, and if one kiddo was sick, he'd just write scripts for the rest of them without having to see them, he knew it would spread soon enough.

Now they're all polite, well-adjusted kids in elementary school. They behave themselves as well as any group of under-10s can be expected to. I really need to get out there to see them again, but there's just no time.

I was blinking because the medical center where I work had a set of quints born here recently. They're younger than your group, though.
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult); Zuul (F); Magpie (M); Balrog (M); Nazgul (F)

cwm

« Reply #1487 on: December 20, 2013, 02:28:51 PM »
I have to tell on myself here.

I don't follow celebrities. At all. As in, I get a basic understanding of them from covers of magazines at the checkout aisle. As such, older famous people pretty much escape me. I also don't watch movies too often. My sister teases me often for this.

So the Sprint commercials started with James Earl Jones and Malcolm McDowell. That's great, I recognized James Earl Jones by voice, and knew the other guy was famous for something. Sis watched me watch the commercials, then saw me struggling with the name of the second guy. She provided me his last name, and the only thing I could think of, I knew was wrong. I said so, and she said to try anyway.

Apparently she got quite amused when I said Roddy McDowall. She nearly passed out laughing at me. Her boyfriend gave both of us a strange look, then said "Malcolm. Malcolm McDowell. Close, but no cigar."

I mean, their last names sound identical in my neck of the woods, they're both British actors, and I'm known for not being up on celebrities and such. I'm reminded of this every time I go into the Commercials You Love thread and there's a conversation about those commercials.

Hillia

« Reply #1488 on: December 20, 2013, 03:19:38 PM »

I don't follow celebrities. At all. As in, I get a basic understanding of them from covers of magazines at the checkout aisle. As such, older famous people pretty much escape me. I also don't watch movies too often. My sister teases me often for this.

So the Sprint commercials started with James Earl Jones and Malcolm McDowell. That's great, I recognized James Earl Jones by voice, and knew the other guy was famous for something. Sis watched me watch the commercials, then saw me struggling with the name of the second guy. She provided me his last name, and the only thing I could think of, I knew was wrong. I said so, and she said to try anyway.

Apparently she got quite amused when I said Roddy McDowall. She nearly passed out laughing at me. Her boyfriend gave both of us a strange look, then said "Malcolm. Malcolm McDowell. Close, but no cigar."

I mean, their last names sound identical in my neck of the woods, they're both British actors, and I'm known for not being up on celebrities and such. I'm reminded of this every time I go into the Commercials You Love thread and there's a conversation about those commercials.

And he is totes adorbs!
Totes magotes!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1489 on: December 20, 2013, 03:40:58 PM »

And he is totes adorbs!
Totes magotes!

I wouldn't play with her anymore. Just tell me. I really don't feel like being laughed at right now as I can't laugh with you. I'm no fun at all, am I?

I don't know the difference between Brad Pitt and Sean Penn - they are both hearthrob contemporaries aren't they? So I guess I'm a generation further out of touch than you are, and don't really much care.

(That's why I pretty much don't post in the Entertainment board.  :-[ )

cwm

« Reply #1490 on: December 20, 2013, 03:51:35 PM »

And he is totes adorbs!
Totes magotes!

I wouldn't play with her anymore. Just tell me. I really don't feel like being laughed at right now as I can't laugh with you. I'm no fun at all, am I?

I don't know the difference between Brad Pitt and Sean Penn - they are both hearthrob contemporaries aren't they? So I guess I'm a generation further out of touch than you are, and don't really much care.

(That's why I pretty much don't post in the Entertainment board.  :-[ )

I laughed with her. I mean, it's a constant source of mock tension between us. I have my nerd things, she has hers. Hers happen to be movies and the people in them, mine are other things. I knew I was wrong, and was more amused by her reaction than I was hurt by it. Her boyfriend was really confused, though. He doesn't have the history of her getting exasperated when I don't know things about movies that "everyone" knows, and then laughing about it when I totally muck it up.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #1491 on: December 20, 2013, 05:01:13 PM »
Teeny - that's how it works for manager-types but us lowly peons get 6 days a year to be sick.  Of course you can opt in to ST and LT disability and the FMLA eventually but if you're like me and just have a minor (but unavoidable and unworkable) day once a month, you're out of luck.

At my job, you get S number of hours of sick leave and V number of hours of vacation leave accumulated per month, and they roll over to the next year unless you hit the cap. There is also a leave donation pool for emergencies. So if you get sick and are out for an extended period, or just repeatedly, and use up your sick & vacation time and need more time off, you can apply for additional PTO from this pool. Also, folks in the office can donate their hours either to the general pool (common if they're about to lose some hours) or to someone specific. And if you're healthy as a horse one year, but manage to get hit with every cold or flu that goes around the next, you've still got the previous year's banked hours available to use.

Most jobs where I've gotten PTO at all have something like this (PTO accumulation, not necessarily the leave bank), and I've never run into a problem. I'm not exceptionally healthy or unhealthy either - sometimes the office Bug du Jour misses me, but then there was the spring where I was down with a cold for a week, back for 2, down with really bad allergies for a few days, back another couple weeks, and then down with a sinus infection for a week. My poor head that spring!
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #1492 on: December 20, 2013, 05:04:16 PM »

And he is totes adorbs!
Totes magotes.

I love that commercial. Totes Magotes. The look on JEJ's face is priceless. I know Malcolm McDowell the best from his role in Star Trek: Generations.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1493 on: December 20, 2013, 05:18:20 PM »

I laughed with her. I mean, it's a constant source of mock tension between us.

Should I start a thread about "Things I hate about myself"? I envy people who can laugh at themselves. Otherwise......I.....am.....kind.....of.....an.....OK.....person.....usually.....often.....sometimes..... :(

baglady

• A big lass and a bonny lass and she loves her beer
« Reply #1494 on: December 20, 2013, 10:24:59 PM »
I work for a private sector employer in the U.S., and my paid time off consists of a certain number of sick days, a certain number of personal days (I think it's the same number as sick days), and vacation (15 days a year for me). All are "use it or lose it" -- the counter resets at the first of the year. We are encouraged to use up any remaining personal/vacation days before the year ends if we have any left over.

Only once have I ever used up all my sick time. That was when I had pneumonia with two short-term hospitalizations. I was out more days than I had sick time coming, so the remaining days I was out were taken as personal days. Had I been out longer, it would have cost me vacation time. After that, short-term disability would have kicked in. As it happened, though, I only used up a couple of personal days in addition to the sick days, and didn't need to use up vacation time or go on disability.
My photography is on Redbubble! Come see: http://www.redbubble.com/people/baglady

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #1495 on: December 20, 2013, 11:04:15 PM »
I accrue 8 hours of sick leave per month and 13.5 hours of annual leave (vacation) per month. I do not get personal time off hours. I work for the state government, at a university and we do not lose sick time, it continues to build unless you have an illness.

We have the sick leave pool, and I have put my required contribution into it.

Most of my sick leave has been used on my son's behalf, as he had the flu for over a week this year and he had a very bad cold for a week.

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #1496 on: December 21, 2013, 01:10:15 PM »
What's the difference between private time off and vacation?

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #1497 on: December 21, 2013, 01:30:37 PM »
What's the difference between private time off and vacation?

I am wondering that too. I get 2 forms of paid time off - sick time and vacation time. They're essentially mine to use as I see fit. I can use sick time for doctor's appointments or actual illness, and vacation for pretty much anything, so long as my supervisor is cool with it.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 01:32:47 PM by jedikaiti »
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

perpetua

« Reply #1498 on: December 21, 2013, 01:31:48 PM »
I created a spin off thread for all things about working hours etc since it's been coming up a lot recently; it's here, if anyone wants to join in: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=131660.0

Bluenomi

« Reply #1499 on: December 21, 2013, 03:18:24 PM »
A coworker called in sick yesterday with a stomach bug.  Today is the office secret santa party so she comes in.  I like this woman fine but she also informs me that now her husband is sick too with the same stomach bug and it's not something they've eaten! 

Thanks for coming in, there, Typhoid Mary.  Just what we all wanted for Christmas!

But if she has been sick, she's probably not contagious. Some stomach flu you do get over in 24 hours or less. So unless she's complaining that she's still sick, I wouldn't expect her to be contagious any longer.

With Norovirus, they tell you to stay home for 24 to 48 hours after the last time you vomited because you are still contagious.  And the fact that someone in the household is still sick means that she very likely is still potentially contagious.

And it can be longer as well. I know when DD got her rotavirus vaccination I was warned to be very careful changing her nappies for the next few weeks. It's a live vax and can spread via poo for 2 weeks afterwards. Apparently many mums have got bad gastro issues following their kid's vaccination.